• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] The Nature of the Shattered Gems

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a storyteller I've been doing some thinking about the Nature of the Shattered Gem; the consistancies and inconsistancies within our established lore. And the question that has been nagging at me the most of late is where our characters exist within the depicted multiverse? (I blame Lore Denin and Trebr Drab.) What implications would it have on our place in the storyline?

The common perception we have is that when the Stranger (Avatar) brought his weapon down upon the Gem of Darkness; he broke it into hundreds (perhaps thousands) of small pieces and inadvertantly spawned countless parallel worlds trapped within each broken shard. (Think the microverse on the cats necklace depicted at the end of Men in Black.) This of course causes a chain reaction some refer to as the Breaking and others as the Shattering. Continents rose and sank. Volcanoes erupted. Mountains crumbled. Civilizations were lost. The world ended as they knew it. It was the Apocalypse. And our characters are the children and grandchildren of those few who somehow managed to survive.

But we also know that before the Gem was shattered (spawning the numerous parallel worlds we currently inhabit) that there was a world depicted as being 'trapped' within the Corrupted Sun Gem. You can see it in the introduction.

This we know to be Ultima Prime. We know that because Mondain was capable of manipulating Ultima Prime via the Gem. The established lore points to this. The introduction points to this. But we know this master world was not trapped within some physical barrier (i.e. Cat Necklace Analogy) or separated from the True Universe; but instead could be accessed from Earth by the Stranger and existed alongside numerous similar worlds. (i.e. Pagan.) You could leave Ultima Prime. You could enter it. You could build a rocket and fly to and from it without bumping into a glass barrier. The world within the Gem was no more than a representation of the world Mondain had conquered.

(And for all we really know the Sun Gem might have been tied to the world long before Mondain.)

So if Ultima Prime isn't (or wasn't) trapped within the Gem (...being able to look upon Jupiter through a telescope doesn't trap Jupiter within); can we infer that our worlds aren't physically trapped within pieces of broken glass either? (i.e. Cat Analogy.) That instead we inhabit parallel universes that border Ultima Prime; and that the broken shards are merely windows that (like the greater Gem) have a power over these reflected worlds?

I think this would be consistant with what we know about the Gems recovered from the Shadowlords; the karmic messages we receive suggesting that the possessor has a certain power and influence over these parallel worlds like Mondain had over Prime. This would also have other implications; whether we could one day visit Pagan or be forced to confront the Guardian.

Discuss.

T

Trebr Drab

All possibilities. And that makes a lot of sense.

At this point, I'm burned out on this though. I don't have anything more to offer, mainly because they don't seem to be giving us anything. Everytime they seem to start to, it just dies. And I'm not sure if that's their failure, or the players, or in part both. But I can't seem to actually link things together well enough.

I'm sort of in wait mode. Wait to see if there's anything meaningful behind the stories. If you've read my work on the Black Necklace, you can see that I've put a lot of time in it, over the years. Yet, there's no clear and definitive answers. After all that effort, I really have nothing to show for it but a wild story. One which they seem to have just...ended.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It hasn't ended.

I would argue that right now - with how many times this game has changed hands - the developers don't really know what the story was a decade ago. But we can't blame them for that. How would a current producer know what a developer ten years ago had planned for the Black Necklace or the Dark Mistress of Mondain?

And that is exactly why we need to have these lore discussions. We're in a powerful position. The roleplayers and event moderators have the chance to influence the direction of the lore if we make it known to them that it is something important to us.

The Theory of the Black Necklace could very well be a series of spectacular coincidences. (I doubt that.) But who is to say a current or future developer (or event moderator) might not pick it up and weave a story out of it?

T

Trebr Drab

I understand that. But until they do that, plus make it playable, it just isn't working. I've carried that torch for years. I'm just looking for a sign.

This alone won't save UO from the inevitable, so I'm actually looking for several signs.