• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] Old English Speak?

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and Fred C. Robinson.

I am not sure what edition it would be now (has to be at least 6th) but if you are looking for a refresher course, this was a great text for beginners.

Hope this helps.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, is this for a particular character, or is the Catskills RP convention that Britannia's English would be closer to the Earth of the Middle Ages model?

-Galen's player

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, is this for a particular character, or is the Catskills RP convention that Britannia's English would be closer to the Earth of the Middle Ages model?

-Galen's player
It is for a lot of the players in CoD, not all but a good majority of us. Not Catskills, not RP in general.

A lot of our biographies (as being vampires that have lived for centuries) puts our backgrounds in the smack of the Renaissance period. So it would only be natural for us that the occassional "Brit Speak" would surface in our conversations... ye/thee, instead of you, yers/thy instead of yours, etc. etc. Therefore we're trying to put together a guideline for folks that wish to use it.

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ack. I made a boo-boo then when I saw Old English. I was thinking Beowulf.

HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!

In which case disregard my suggestion for a text above. *laughs*

Originally Posted by GalenKnighthawke

And Galen, I think the traditional english of Ultima was not Old English, or Middle English, it was supposed to be a sort of Elizabethan English which is technically just an early form of Modern English.

:)

(Wow, that's a lot of "englishesssss" in there.)