• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] Lore Discussion: Moiety by Trebr Drab

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since this piece is relevant to the lore discussion of Ultima Online I wanted to make a copy of it here for us to discuss and debate.

You can find the original thread here.

This is curious, but hardly defined. I just thought I'd throw this out there for you all, just for the sake of curiosity.

"Moiety" means half of. It usually refers to an equal half, or an opposite half, or a working half.

Now, doing so brief research on the word, I stumbled across first the word being used in Edgar Allen Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum". This struck me, as Poe's "The Raven" has been referred to in the past in reference to UO's story. I myself remember finding something that I posted about in reference to "The Raven", but I don't recall what that was as it was several years ago. (Will have to research that a bit and see if I can recall it.)

Then some possibilities started to fall into place.
First of all, I believe that the buckler "Moiety" was placed during the Darkscribe era.
Secondly, the name Darkscribe, it just goes with Edgar Allen Poe's works so well, does it not? A very dark scribe, indeed.

This Link will take you to a very entertaining flash of a version of "The Pit and the Pendulum". It's a hip-hop version by Flocabulary, and while it's not word for word, it's a much more entertaining way to get the gist of the story. It also has the text of Poe's work on the site page.

"The Pit and the Pendulum" is a story of injustice, torture, and despairing punishment, ending with unlikely salvation. But think about it all in UO's sense. Edgar Allen Poe's works have always (although rarely) been associated with UO since the first days, the Raven and Minax, etc.
What about Moiety? Chaos and Order, Lord British and Blackthorn, the Avatar and the Guardian. And think about the epic poem of Poe's, "The Pit and the Pendulum", and think about who might be placed in such a position.

Is Lord British alive, somewhere in a torture chamber, awaiting salvation?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trebr Drab said:
Is Lord British alive, somewhere in a torture chamber, awaiting salvation?
Lord British entered the Ethereal Void bearing several (but not all) the shards of the Gem of Immortality. So long as once piece remained out of the clutches of evil it could not be reshaped and used for dark purposes.

We also know that in Ultima Prime the Shadowlords emerge from the Gem of Immortality to possess Astaroth, Nosfentor, and Faulinei. And in Ultima Online the Three were trapped in the Void until we inadvertently released them.

Is it possible that British mistakenly created or released the Shadowlords (in Ultima Online) by entering the Void with the Gems?

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I remember of the Buckler "Moiety".

The first mention of the shield I can remember was in reference to Anon who is the leader of the Council of Mages.

Anon was invited by the newly appointed Ruling Council of Britannia(shortly after Lord British departed into the void) to reconcile the differences with the Council of Mages. It was unclear to me but it even seemed as though Anon was originally part of the new ruling council Lord British formed. However, shortly after its creation, Anon became frustrated with the operation of the Ruling Council. Eventually his frustration with the Ruling Council Boiled over and he threw his shield "Moiety" at the feet of the council members, declaring his resignation and return to the Council of Mages.

-Lore's Player

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It makes me wonder what happened to the Council and Anon.

Their forces have managed to survive (for the time being). So was the Council destroyed in the Magincian Invasion? Or did they survive and flee to Moonglow?

I'm hoping for the latter. It would be another element of conflict and political intrigue to the storyline with the inauguration of Queen Dawn.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe this is the event you're referring to.

http://www.uoherald.com/archive/archive.php?archiveId=645

BNN Herald: A Turn For The Worse said:
Anon, Lord of the Council of Mages entered the meeting chamber late, ignoring the irritated glances of his peers and the thinly-veiled sneer of Clainin. Offering not even a hint of an apology, he sat down in his seat heavily and looked straight at the Knight-Regent, Lord Martel Nevarre. "I have not changed my mind. This is the last time I will speak at this Council. I will not waste another minute in useless discussion while the entire kingdom collapses around us! I understand Cove has been overrun by Orcs and you all sit here and do nothing!” he barked.
Clainin's anger was palpable. Martel raised his hand to stave off the barrage he no doubt believed his emotionally volatile colleague intended to unleash upon Lord Anon. "That is not entirely true, Lord Anon. We have been attacking at every opportunity. The odds are against us. The Orcish hordes seem limitless. Something drives them and we are seeking answers as to exactly what, or who, that is. Have you any ideas or information from your own sources?"

Anon looked surprised, "My sources? Do you think I have spies lurking in every backwater town in the realm? Unlike you, I have no rangers or paladins to gad about in shady taverns hobnobbing whilst they guzzle free ale."

"I will assume that is a 'no'."

"You assume correctly. Is that all you wish of me? If so, I will take my leave. I have better things to do."

Martel sighed. "Please do not be so hasty. I asked you here to once more entreat you... no, beg you, to reconsider leaving the Council. This is no time for such a move. It will weaken us further, demoralize the leadership and people, and send a message to our adversaries that we are ripe for attack. Can you not see this?"

"You all have brought this upon yourselves. I spoke of pursuing offensive action months ago, but you refused my counsel. You thought that you could simply react to each threat as it reared its head, instead of seeking out and destroying our enemies before they could strike. While you all have had your heads in the clouds, I have been fortifying Magincia, and there I intend to make a stand, for better or worse." He pushed back his chair and stood up, turning to look at Clainin. "As for you, sir, we are completely at odds on every level. I will not sit at this Council table as long as you are a member of it!"

Clainin opened his mouth to reply but Martel quickly interjected, "Clainin is not the problem here. His words and counsel have always been useful and timely. You know that. Besides, the whole point of having a Council is to hear divergent views on any given issue. When honest debate is no longer permitted, we have only a dictatorship."

Anon glared at Martel, "Is that what you think I want?"

"I do not know what you want, Lord Anon. I want you to be a member of this Council. We need you and you know it," Martel countered. "I ask you once more to stay with us. Help us determine who is behind the attack on Cove."

Anon calmed noticeably; he stood up straight and turned to leave. "It is too late. The die is cast. I wish you all good fortune," he stated icily and left the room.
And Anon's subsequent letter to the Council of Mages.

http://www.uoherald.com/archive/archive.php?archiveId=657

BNN Herald: Anon's Withdrawl said:
Fellow Mages of the CoM,
I write this with a heavy heart, wishing that things were different, but knowing that we must do whatever is needed to protect that which is most important to us. Unfortunately, the Ruling Council is not willing to do what is needed to ensure the safety of the people, so I, Commander of the Council of Mages, have decided to take matters into my own hands. I do this knowing the consequences will be heavy, but sure in the knowledge that I am doing what is necessary to protect Magincia and its citizens.

The last few months have shown that Chaos is on the move; towns and cities have been invaded by agents of darkness, evil beings have appeared after many years of deep slumber, and it has become clear that we are all in grave danger. Yet, the Ruling council does nothing but sit on their hands and talk, when the time for action is now! I am certain that our departed King would not have let matters reach such a desperate condition, and it is long past time for petty bickering and useless chit chat. Something needs to be done about our current state of disarray!

So, acting in our own best interests, I have withdrawn from the Ruling Council and set in motion the appropriate measures to protect that for which I am directly responsible. My decision has been affirmed by the latest news from the fort of Cove – it has been overrun by orcs and creatures of Chaos. Despite the best attempt of the Royal Guard to fight back the horde of evil creatures, the fort is now under the control of the forces of Chaos, and a shrouded, mysterious figure has been spotted observing the battle from the mountains above. Whom, or what, this shrouded figure is, I know not, but its presence is an ominous sign indeed.

As I feared, the passivity shown by the Ruling Council has severely weakened the Kingdom, and allowed Chaos to gain a foot-hold in Britannia; as your Commander, I will do all that is necessary to ensure our own survival to the best of my abilities. I know not where this path will ultimately lead us, but I am convinced that the Ruling Council will not respond quickly enough to this growing threat. I simply will not stand idly by and see Magincia suffer the same fate as Cove. Know that I did not make this decision lightly, and that I believe it to be the only way to ensure our survival.

Signed,

Anon - Grandmaster Mage of the Council of Mages

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a historical note about Annon. First, it seems I've been spelling his name wrong all this time. :) Annon was a member of the Great Council in Ultima V. I believe he was imprisoned like one of the other council members, Felspar by Blackthorne and the Oppression. This is Annon's conversation, taking from notableultima.com.

Name: Annon
You see: a grave wizard.//{set flag 4}{goto Label 1}
Greeting:
Job: I once served on the Great Council!
Bye: Good luck!

--> coun or grea
We derived the eight Words of Power!
--> word or powe
We used those words to seal the eight dungeons!
--> seal or dung
Blackthorn hunts us down, so that he might unlock them and free the evils within!
--> blac or hunt or free or evil or unlo
~ <cb>{goto Label 5}I trust not yet thy Virtue!

[Label 1] {ask name}//{set flag 2}Good day!/{end conversation}

[Label 2] I have heard tales of thy deeds and am honored to meet thee!//{keywait} I am Annon, of the Great Council!//

[Label 4] Greetings, <name>.//

[Label 5] I know merely one of those Words.//{pause} Dost thou wish to know it?
--> (any)
Oh.
--> y
The Word is<rune>VILIS<rune>, and remember, it can be used to open the dungeon Despise! //{keywait} The daughter of another council member works as a sailmaker. Ask the child about her mother for she too knows one of the Words of Power!