• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC][Discussion] Addendum To The Shattering

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Addendum To The Shattering
excerpt from Dallben the Scribes Newest in game literature!

From time to time, I like to take Ultima too seriously. Generally with my good friend captain nhbdy. One such time was during the ride from Fairfax VA to North Carolina. We had just been exposed to the first town hall in a while and had Ultima on the brains. Driving down the long road, mergadergah asleep in the back seat, I began to ramble like the mad nystul from ultima 7 about the shattering. What exactly were the physics of the shattering? what was the entire process like?

This is my take on it, and I would love to hear yours.

There existed out world, as we knew it. Single and unique. Floating in the endless void that is space, surrounded by 8 planets and two moons.

Now Mondain had this jewel, this gem of immortality... but it did not always encase the world as we knew it. In Sosaria, alchemy rivals magic in power, and that would mean that Mondain was the worlds greatest alchemist, and as we all know, Lord British, the worlds best mage.

To escape the hellish nightmare that is the Enchantress Minax, Lord British with his council of mages cast a spell to create facets of the realm they lived in. Thus the creation of Trammel and Felucca. These two new worlds were in fact mirrors of one another. And in lore, they should effect one another jointly. A decent example is the faction take overs in fel, and subsequent invasions in trammel during the warriors of destiny campaign.

My guess, is that Mondain was the first person to use this type of magic spell, and that he in fact replicated the world as it was in space, and placed this replica within the gem of immortality. The world was now bound by the gem.

Both worlds were now in a joint relationship. what happened to one would happen to the other in some shape or form. When the stranger felled Mondain, the gem was shattered, and the replicated world was.....well, replicated several times over. I theorize that this caused the original world to shatter as well. The original world was broken into as many pieces as Mondains gem, each with a corresponding replicated world to be joint with.

But what does this all mean?

Could an astronomer gaze into the night sky and see a world within a gem?
Do we dwell in the original world or Mondains generated facet?
When Lord British created trammel, did he really just bring the corresponding Original world in to the same realm as one of Mondains?
(we all know he knows more about the shattering than he lets on *cough cough* My Story)
IE: All of mondains shattered worlds were felucca's, and the shattered real worlds are trammels?
This would explain why one is so harsh, as it was warped under the wrath of Mondain before it he was killed, creating orcs and headless ect.

:gee:

T

Trebr Drab

I've often thought about this. But what it comes down to is that there are many ways this could go. We lack the kind of solid evidence to point to any one direction, and all we have are "best guesses". And I think it's unlikely that we'll ever find that sort of solid evidence to push us in any one direction, so that we can say "this is how it must be".

I still wonder though, maybe there are pieces of this puzzle that we can figure out and call "fact". But I'm still studying some of that. It's not easy. Everytime you think you have it, you find something new that tells you that you don't quite. But then you discover some new piece and realize that what you just dismissed may be right after all, because what led you to think it was wrong becomes questionable.

Ohh, such a wonderful web is Ultima.

T

Trebr Drab

Thinking some on this and trying to put my thoughts together...

I think that whatever the world is "inside of", so to speak, I think it's like a magical pocket around the world and only the world. What's outside of that, I think is seen the same from any of the pocket worlds we call shards. The moons, meteors, etc. So, I think that when meteor's hit one world within a shard, they hit all worlds within all the shards.

This brings up a question, what about Earth? Earth somehow is connected, as many have traveled between it and Sosaria (the Stranger, most of his close friends, Lord British, Blackthorn, even Minax). If the above is correct, Earth is in a different universe than Sosaria, as it has but one moon. Both worlds have the same number of planets, called different names, but the planets of Sosaria I think are different in some way. I don't recall why I think that, just that I definitely do think that.

Now, the Stranger did travel to other planets in Ultima II, the Second Age of Darkness, where Minax sought revenge for Mondain's death by changing the timeline of Earth itself and causing it's history to change, leading to self destruction via a nuclear holocaust. That was in Earth's universe, not Sosaria's.

That leaves a question of how Sosaria and Earth are connected. Two universes, where Sosaria's universe has this pocket where the world of Sosaria is shattered in it's existence into a thousand different pockets. Yet Earth's universe is not so affected with a pocket shattered in time and space, as far as we can see.

Yet, Minax did change the timeline on Earth. That meant that there was a different, a second, pocket world there too. That was put back right, and should the shattered shards of the Gem of Immortality ever be put back together, that's what would happen to Sosaria too. Only in this case, a thousand times compared to Earth's two.

The biggest problem with Sosaria's shattering is how it also shattered time itself. Thus the Time Lord. Time has been corrupted into a thousand different aspects. The Time Lord wants to fix that and heal Sosaria's universe of this "pocket" that's like a wound to it.

That brings up the question, did the Time Lord care when Mondain first captured Sosaria in the Gem? Was time affected at that point?

And this all leads to yet another thing to think about.
When the Stranger, and others, traveled from Earth to Sosaria, it's shown that time moves differently between the two universes.
Does the Time Lord care about this? Why is this?
Something related to this is that, as shards are looked at, time within those shards moves much faster than on the world of the viewer. Just as time in Sosaria moves much faster than that on Earth.
So the biggest question of all is, is Sosaria Prime a shattered shard of Earth?
Evidence may be in the shape of Britannia, looking like an upside down Britain of Earth.

Edit to add:
In this case, if Sosaria is a shard of Earth itself, it includes at least the moons in this case as Earth has one and Sosaria has two. And maybe also the planets, as I have it in my mind that there is some difference that would make this so. Perhaps, the entire universe.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing if for sure,

Sosaria, Earth, and the planet Kilrah ( from the wing commander series) all exist within the same universe.

T

Trebr Drab

One thing if for sure,

Sosaria, Earth, and the planet Kilrah ( from the wing commander series) all exist within the same universe.
Why do you say that? I never thought about it, but a quick look at the Wing Commander wiki didn't show me any possible connection. ??

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You confused the terms 'Universe' and 'Solar System.'

Trebr Drab said:
This brings up a question, what about Earth? Earth somehow is connected, as many have traveled between it and Sosaria (the Stranger, most of his close friends, Lord British, Blackthorn, even Minax). If the above is correct, Earth is in a different universe than Sosaria, as it has but one moon. Both worlds have the same number of planets, called different names, but the planets of Sosaria I think are different in some way.
It is possible from a lore stand point that Ultima and Earth are from the same Universe.

That is unless the similarities between Britannia / Britain and Tokuno / China suggests a parallel dimension between Earth and Sosaria Prime.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you say that? I never thought about it, but a quick look at the Wing Commander wiki didn't show me any possible connection. ??

I wont go into all the strange inaccuracies this could bring into the cannon,

But in ultima VII The black gate you can go to brit, and there is a man to the east who owns a corn field where this has crash landed.

If you dbl click it, the wing commander theme plays.