• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Only two ore eles from five gargoyle pickaxes!?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something get screwed up with the stone only mining tool change?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow... a whole one ele the second five pickaxes.

So much for ele hunting. Guess it's only good for boosting ore up a notch anymore.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
RNG! RNG! RNG!

Sung to the tune of USA! USA! USA.!

I have approximately 1500 gargoyle pickaxes if you want to borrow one.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have approximately 1500 gargoyle pickaxes if you want to borrow one.
I've got close to 100 of them and a pile of exceptional weapon BoDs to do for more. I'm good. :)

Did used to love hunting the eles though.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought I was having bad luck the other day... hopefully there isn't more to it :(

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe someone cried, that they could not upgrade the color without getting a lot elements

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you want the max number of ele's, you gotta go with ore only. It's an ore elemental afterall, not a Stone or Gem elemental :p And it's nice to know you bought out a vendor when you already had close to 100 axes already....*looks for your ship even harder now* :pirate:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something get screwed up with the stone only mining tool change?
Garth is right set to ore only seems to increase number. Might just be me but the BOD picks seem to spawn more that the ones looted from Gargoyles. I have not used one since the last pub but usually averaged 3-4 per pick in conjunction with using a prospectors tool to insure the minimum ore would be shadow iron. I Can't recall ever spawning a DC El with a garg pick.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure, that in order to pull up an elemental with the Gargoyle pick-axe, you need to extract a resource from the vein.

That being said, the way mining for "Stone" is set up, you fail 90% of the time 10% of the time you extract a resource, unfortunately you lose a charge with each attempt regardless if you pull up any resources or not. Spend the same amount of time mining for the same amount of stone but sacrificing ore so you need to move to new mining locations less often is far from a fair trade-off. -failed implementation on "Stone only" mining.

It's only worth using a gargoyle pickaxe when you're mining Ore or any combination with "Ore" in it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, the RNG is notoriously flaky when it comes to pulling elementals with the GPA anyway.

Going for just ore, I've had GPAs give 1, and another give 8, on the same trip.

One time about a decade ago, my guild was between Spirituality and Sacrifice in Ilshenar, deliberately trying to bring up paragon ore elementals. I didn't get a para that trip (though as a group we spent about 10 minutes fighting a paragon valorite - made more complicated when it chased a party member into Meertown and the Eternal got involved, killing anyone that got on the screen with it and the elemental). However, while using a UOA macro set up to do 10 swings at a spot, I got FIVE Shadow iron elementals in the last 9 swings - and killed them all autodefending with an elemental slayer (my miner is a legendary macer, and had EoO cast before digging). in fact, the first one dropped right as the 3rd one spawned, and only 3 were standing when the dig macro ended.

Odin of LS

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just bad RNG I dig up shadow eles fairly often to train pets on. A few weeks back I dug up 2 with back to back swings. Now I always try to get 2 everytime so I can train 2 pets at once.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I went thru 3 gargoyle pick axes other night and never got any. Just figured a stroke of bad luck...maybe not?