• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Only been 18 years.....

ChinaCat

Visitor
Finding myself in limbo on games; took the last 8-months off; found myself here. It was end of September 1997 when, like many, I experienced the awesomeness of a MMO when UO was released. I'll spare you the long stories, but suffice to say I fell in love with this game and after countless games since; has always remained my favorite. I was and am a pre-trammel fan; not because I liked to grief people; because I didn't. I was what was called an "Anti"; but because I've always found the more power players have over code, the more interesting the game as the dynamics become player driven.

It was the Dark Tide server in Asherons Call in late 1999 that took me away from UO. That remains my 2nd best favorite MMO memory. Odd, you'd think as time moved on and technology improved the games would get better. Well, technically they have, but from an experience stand-point; hardly.

I believe I've managed to find my old account; which is somewhat amazing; but prior to activating it thought I'd start a trial account, expecting to get bored and move on. Interestingly, I've become addicted again but very concerned by the lack of players. I live on the West Coast and while I understand from reading the forum the Atlantic shard is most populated, also read Napa isn't too bad so been playing there; but see no one.

By the way, whatever happened to Siege? I mean, I may be remembering incorrectly but thought all players on Siege are red, but now reading it's simply the old rule-set. A bit confused.

I loved the old order chaos guild wars but see that's been replaced as well and feels a bit watered down but would love some feedback on that.

Just saying hey and if there are any guilds with active members that enjoy pvp, please let me know how to reach you. I'm open to what shard I play on as I would think any returning player would need to be.

PS: Why doesn't the game save my UI Settings? Not a big deal but a bit annoying.

/respect

ChinaCat

Last edited:

Malforce

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I reactivated this summer, having been gone to World of Warcraft since 2005. I've been having lots of fun on UO. Skills go up at pretty good clip now, make characters on Atlantic, Napa...Great Lakes pretty active, Catskills and Siege both have great communities. just play around and see where's a better fit. Anyway, welcome back. I hope something catches your interest and keeps you around!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Finding myself in limbo on games; took the last 8-months off; found myself here. It was end of September 1997 when, like many, I experienced the awesomeness of a MMO when UO was released. I'll spare you the long stories, but suffice to say I fell in love with this game and after countless games since; has always remained my favorite. I was and am a pre-trammel fan; not because I liked to grief people; because I didn't. I was what was called an "Anti"; but because I've always found the more power players have over code, the more interesting the game as the dynamics become player driven.

It was the Dark Tide server in Asherons Call in late 1999 that took me away from UO. That remains my 2nd best favorite MMO memory. Odd, you'd think as time moved on and technology improved the games would get better. Well, technically they have, but from an experience stand-point; hardly.

I believe I've managed to find my old account; which is somewhat amazing; but prior to activating it thought I'd start a trial account, expecting to get bored and move on. Interestingly, I've become addicted again but very concerned by the lack of players. I live on the West Coast and while I understand from reading the forum the Atlantic shard is most populated, also read Napa isn't too bad so been playing there; but see no one.

By the way, whatever happened to Siege? I mean, I may be remembering incorrectly but thought all players on Siege are red, but now reading it's simply the old rule-set. A bit confused.

I loved the old order chaos guild wars but see that's been replaced as well and feels a bit watered down but would love some feedback on that.

Just saying hey and if there are any guilds with active members that enjoy pvp, please let me know how to reach you. I'm open to what shard I play on as I would think any returning player would need to be.

PS: Why doesn't the game save my UI Settings? Not a big deal but a bit annoying.

/respect

ChinaCat
I play mainly Napa myself. Usually on 7-10 est. If you need anything to get you going let me know or drop a line in the Napa forum. Plenty will be willing to help.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Are you using the enhanced client on a regular shard and your chars all have the same name?

If so then that is the reason, it wont matter on Siege as you can only have one char per account, but the stupid client saves the settings by account and then character names so if all your chars only have one name you will be constantly overwriting the same file, I had to buy a whole world of name change tokens when I came back to the game a couple of years ago

ChinaCat

Visitor
Thank you all for your replies.

A few questions that I feel a bit silly asking but can't remember and can't find on wiki.

1) MIB's - I understand you need cart skill for treasure maps; but I have a GM fisher and seem to recall being able to see coords of MIB's. Do I need a special skill or how to I find the coords of the treasure from MIB's?

2) Mounts - For the life of me I can't remember how to get off and on a mount or if there is a way to despawn them.

3) Regents - Do I really need to recall to all the mage spots to get a good supply? Not many are sold from vendors.

4) Moving - I'd like to place a house but likely don't know where my ideal spot is. Is there a way to get my deed back if I decide to move; and what happens to all the stuff if I custom build?

5) I'm on Napa. Any guilds you can suggest? (Will also play Siege but just relearning the game first)

Thanks

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you all for your replies.

A few questions that I feel a bit silly asking but can't remember and can't find on wiki.

1) MIB's - I understand you need cart skill for treasure maps; but I have a GM fisher and seem to recall being able to see coords of MIB's. Do I need a special skill or how to I find the coords of the treasure from MIB's?

2) Mounts - For the life of me I can't remember how to get off and on a mount or if there is a way to despawn them.

3) Regents - Do I really need to recall to all the mage spots to get a good supply? Not many are sold from vendors.

4) Moving - I'd like to place a house but likely don't know where my ideal spot is. Is there a way to get my deed back if I decide to move; and what happens to all the stuff if I custom build?

5) I'm on Napa. Any guilds you can suggest? (Will also play Siege but just relearning the game first)

Thanks
1- You need a sextant. Think the tinker carries them.. I know one of the NPCs in luna sells them.
2- Double click your toon to dismount double click mount to mount. (make sure you are not in war mode)
3- Runebook with mage shops is probably fastest route. Most use 100% LRC suits.
4- Yes double clicking the sign will allow you to redeed. Anything in the house when you do this will fall on the ground. During customization everything will return to its original spots after leaving customization mode. Sometimes if you build walls where an object in your home was that object will be moved to your moving crate. That is accessed through the house sign as well.
5- That I can't help with. Not part of a guild :) around 10pm est you could get some offers if you ask in general chat or help chat.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are in the Enhanced Client, I think the map has co-ordinates on it for the messages in bottles.
For classic, a sextant, or there is a map program called UO cartographer that you can plug in map co-ordinates and drop a marker and then just sail to that spot.

For your user interface saving, make sure you use the log out buttons instead of just "closing the window with the X". Using the X bypasses the saving of changes that you have made. Also just timing out prevents saving as well.

There are some rules about waiting a week for moving, so be careful about moving too many times quickly. You may be left out in the cold holding not only the bag, but tons of them waiting to place again.
You can resize a house if you need to make it bigger. If you want to get into selling things with vendors, the new vendor system doesn't leave you out in the cold if you choose to live in the middle of nowhere.

And above all else... Welcome Home.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back, imbuing is fun, you could reach legendary through casual playing. Then make some 495+ armors and weapons, you could do some of the fighting contents.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@WhiteWitch get back on Siege man!!
Hi Vinny boy, I'm still subbed to UO on 2 accounts, so I like to think I'm still helping to keep UO financed even if not playing it that much :D

In recent times I'm an MMO nomad, WoW for a while till they ruined it with that new thing, Guild wars 2 which oddly proved to contain no actual guild wars, and no PvP servers, Age of Conan which seemed good but has very few players, and those it does have do way too much main chat PvP, currently its RIFT which I'm finding ok(-ish), the PvP is not too balanced but you can jump into matches for a fix anytime so that's all I'm doing there really.

ChinaCat

Visitor
Thanks guys. I have a dead horse following me around. It's bound and don't know how to rezz him.

Btw, I think I prefer the classic mode, but when I try to resize the in options I get the following fatal error message: "Could not open file for writing: G:...path....\desktop.uos: " Any suggestions? I've tried everything I can think of.

Oh, one other question, for a miner/smith, is there any particular location in the game world you can suggest me placing a house?

Also, I simply can't get the UI to save my changes ever, no matter what I do. I've logged out safely, slow way, long way, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dead horse: visit a vet. They will rez for a fee of course.

As far as a miner house I prefer mine to be in fel (double resources) near a mountain side.

Hopefully someone else has more info on your other issues.