• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

On Second Thought, Might Wanna Avoid the McDonald's

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You may not be able to retreat more than 115 miles from the nearest McDonald's Restaurant, but that shouldn't stop you from trying--especially if you live in the vicinity of Michigan or Arkansas. A couple stories have surfaced over the last couple of days that will make you think twice about visiting the golden arches.

Maggots Gone From Coffee Maker, McDonald's Owner Says

BATH TWP. — If you happen to be eating breakfast right now, go read the comics, or the sports page, or the obituaries. Come back here when you’re done …

OK. Ready?

In an e-mail sent to the State Journal on Saturday, an employee of the McDonald’s restaurant on Marsh Road, wrote:

“Over the past couple of days something has developed that has me more than a little concerned.

“Our specialty coffee machine (which makes the hot mochas, lattes and cappuccinos) has been working on and off for they past couple of weeks and started to smell of something I can only describe as ungodly.”

The employee learned last week that coffee maker’s sporadic performance was due to the fact that maggots were growing in the mechanism of the coffee maker.

“As you would expect the machine was shut down right away and cleaned,” he wrote.

The e-mail went on to explain that even after the cleaning, maggots continued to grow inside the coffee machine.

The employee wrote: “The regional manager was contacted and her response was the machine must be kept on and we must continue to sell our specialty coffees.”

'Immediate Action'

Responding to the State Journal’s inquiry (and the full context of the employee’s e-mail) the Grand Rapids public relations firm that represents McDonald’s — Seyferth PR — e-mailed me this written statement attributed to franchise owner Bob “Dutch” Van Poppelen:

“Rest assured, absolutely nothing is more important to me than operating safe, clean restaurants. I take matters concerning the safety and quality of the food and beverages I serve extremely seriously.

“Upon learning about these allegations, we took immediate action to investigate the claims. It’s important to note that at no time did the area of the machine in question come in contact with the beverages.

“This was an isolated issue and corrective action has been taken to address this matter. We removed the machine from service so it could be sanitized and repaired. The machine has since been returned to service and no further issues have been reported.”

No Confidence

The statement did not address the allegation regarding the regional manager’s involvement. Meanwhile, the employee expressed, in his e-mail, a lack of confidence in McDonald’s management’s handling of the situation:

“It has been made clear to me that this is going to go unchecked and this situation will get worse. I feel this business should be held accountable … as they are doing next to nothing to correct the problem.”

In a subsequent telephone conversation, the employee did not dispute the owner’s contention that the problem was fixed now. However, he said there was a 24-hour period when he felt pressured to continue serving speciality coffee against his better judgment.

Schneider: Maggots gone from coffee maker, McDonald's owner says | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal
Not Lovin' It!

EUREKA SPRINGS--All John Carel expected on Sunday afternoon was a couple of juicy angus burgers from McDonald's drive-through window for him and his wife.

What he didn't expect was that someone else had already taken a bite out of his before it got handed out the window.

When he opened the box and saw that one big and perfect bite was already missing, and realized the burger was cold as well, he made a beeline back to McD's and asked for the manager.

He spoke with a manager he identified as "Larry" and showed him the burger, still in the box.

When Larry asked him what he wanted to do about it, Carel said, "I'd like to go into the kitchen and find out who did this and talk to him."

According to Carel, Larry then told him it was a hamburger that a previous customer had returned, apologized for it being sold that way, and laughed it off.

Carel was not amused.

He obtained a refund slip with Larry Wright's signature on it and kept the burger.

"I have several avenues in mind of making this the most expensive hamburger they ever sold," Carel said.

For one thing, he plans to take the offending burger to the Arkansas Department of Health.

"I was in the restaurant business for twenty-five years, and my concern is that they not do this to anyone else. It's a health concern," he said.

Carel, who is a local minister, added, "I wish I could just throw it in the trash, but then I'd feel bad if it continued to happen and someone got sick because I didn't speak up.

"There's enough negativity in this world without spreading more, so we try to stay positive; but this McDonald's has been a mess for years."

When the Citizen contacted the day manager at McDonald's on Tuesday for a comment and their side of the story, the manager said they were not allowed to comment and suggested calling the corporate 800 number.

When asked if returned food was immediately thrown away, she answered, "That is our policy."

Meanwhile, Carel plans to take his concern to the food chain's corporate offices.

Lovely County Citizen: Local News: Not lovin' it! (09/08/10)