• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] On My Day on Using EC & SA.

• Thread starter StaticOnAtlantic
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

StaticOnAtlantic

Okay I have been around the block now for since late 1999.

From 1.5d-2D-3D-KR-EC-SA Now.

While so much is offered, in both EC and SA Client, I have just decided to uninstall them to save the space. The game play just felt very diffrent, the "skipping" effect of walking/running just plain looks really awkard.

The shades of colors I did injoy though. It brings a more natural feel to the game. Weather is another great touch for the client aswell.

The Paperdoll, The Map, I would keep and just export into 2D, Just please just touch up 2D, and implement those changes there. Man that would be great.

Theres alot I want to say but, Im a bit late behing the 8 ball reporting in. Im sure what i want to say has allready been said by many of many.

Anyways

Thanks everyone!

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What skipping? Most people don't experience this, did you take any steps to trouble-shoot your PC settings?

What new shades of color? Aside from a handful of tiles and of course the 3D mobiles, EC uses the same old 2D graphics and colors.

2D has weather too, y'know, it's just ugly.

You want the 2D graphics with the better paperdoll and map imported? We have that. We call it EC. :lick:

M

maroite

What skipping? Most people don't experience this, did you take any steps to trouble-shoot your PC settings?

What new shades of color? Aside from a handful of tiles and of course the 3D mobiles, EC uses the same old 2D graphics and colors.

2D has weather too, y'know, it's just ugly.

You want the 2D graphics with the better paperdoll and map imported? We have that. We call it EC. :lick:
Actually with the higher resolution available in the EC, the game doesn't look anything like the 2d client. Which is what I guess he was refering to.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually with the higher resolution available in the EC, the game doesn't look anything like the 2d client. Which is what I guess he was refering to.
*starts to think people are using some phantom third client that he has never seen*

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Okay okay let me clear some things up lol.

Im not using this "Phantom" client lol. Okay when i run in 2D It LOOKS like im running and not GLIDING across, It has a Diablo 2 Look to the run, which I cant stand.

And yes, weather in EC is nice, And i know 2d has weather aswell.

The colors, Glacial colors stuff like that is kinda dull'ed out Other, Like i said I like the new colors.

I didnt like the container system, If i could have my old pack and my old bank I would be very satisfied.

ALSO WHAT in the hell is wrong with the gumps, (Menus) I go to click on going to brit and everything I have to click always a little higher and to the right to get it to click inside!

T

Thangorodrim

Im not using this "Phantom" client lol. Okay when i run in 2D It LOOKS like im running and not GLIDING across, It has a Diablo 2 Look to the run, which I cant stand.
I hear this a lot and think its a non-issue. It is simply to what one is inured.

After a short while using the EC, I find the screen scrolling in 2d to look very choppy and unnatural while EC seems the appropriate default.

I think a lot of the disorientation type complaints go away after a few weeks use, they certainly did in my case. A day is not enough to erase up to twelve years of neuro-patterning.

O

Old Man of UO

While so much is offered, in both EC and SA Client, I have just decided to uninstall them to save the space. ...
After playing the EC client since the first day it was offered in the beta, I can''t see going back to the small, cartoon-ish, UOAssist/UOAM dependent choppy 2D client. So, I have just decided to uninstall it to save the space.

Now, if we can encourage the Developers to finish the Enhanced Client and stop wasting time on the out-of-date 2D client. :D

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
While I mainly use the enhanced client now! the old client still holds a fond place for me! and I still use it on occasion (when lag is real bad it seems to perform better than the new one)! so I hope the old client is around for a long time to come (not to mention it works better on older systems!)

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Does everyone else have the same issues I have with the gumps? You usally have to click underneith the actull choice or to the side of it?

O

Old Man of UO

Does everyone else have the same issues I have with the gumps? You usally have to click underneith the actull choice or to the side of it?
I don't have the issue. I remember though that someone mentioned changing whether you run in windowed mode or full screen will correct this. I run windowed/maximized. Try changing these settings until it gets fixed... it is a known issue, but you can also send a bug report.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*starts to think people are using some phantom third client that he has never seen*
Hehe, no kidding. Maybe they mean they are zooming way in (which of course blurs the crappy 1990s no-texture textures, just like it did in 3D and KR), but the "colors" and textures are exactly the same as 2D, except as noted (mobiles etc). Just don't zoom in - no one can make 2D tiles look good that way. It's numpad asterisk to reset zoom. Anyway this is an easy test, just take a screenshot of your character and your house or something in both clients.

Gliding =/= skipping. Gliding exists in 2D too. You will absolutely get used to the EC animations after a time. Thangorodrim is spot on -- you need to train yourself to get used to new things, driving a new car, sleeping in a new bed, eventually you stop focusing on differences.

StaticOnAtlantic - for your offset problem, check out this thread. You're not the only one, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. Maybe you can find some commonality in settings with other people experiencing it, and change your settings to banish the bug. Like Old Man, I run windowed too, and don't see this problem with menu gumps.

As for the container system and getting your old pack and bank back, look around in the options, there are settings to enable legacy inventories to get your teeny tiny old 2D backpack back. In fact in one of the macro threads, there's a great script macro you can use, bind it to a key and quickly swap between the different container layouts. It's great for stocking vendors for 2D users and then switching back to something that's sized for a modern resolution. Even if you don't like grid view for everyday use, it's awesome for stuff like tending plants and finding lost junk in your bags.

There are also nice mods for changing the graphics of the user interface, including the icons for hotkeys and skills (if you didn't like those). Several of them have a nice legacy-style runebook built in that's much larger and easier to read than 2D's. If you want it to really look like 2D with the grey stone look, I recommend the Legacy II UI mod. If you want something fresh and different, they have that too.

I'm sorry I picked on you, but your post is emblematic of many posts here and elsewhere about KR and now about EC - people run off a list of stuff they wanted in the client - stuff that already exists, stuff they'd have known already exists if they'd really given the client a fair shake! Equipped with some answers to your questions, maybe you can give it another go. :)

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Okay okay Im done taking the heat lol. I reinstalled EC and I will go ahead and get it atleast a week this time around.

I mean Guys/gals? I really want to like it. It seems that it is "better" just for me it was hard even to try to find a way to log out without X'ing out of the screen.

What really bummed me was the gump issue, items everything, If my cursor hovered over it it wouldent "see" the item and i would have to move around usually to the bottom or higher than it was to "find" it. I deal alot between items & rares in game and i need to be fast at times, and well it was killing me yesterday to make it work.

Yes its new, and i do like it, it is a new bed or car. I just hope that its not a lemon, if you get my drift.

BTW- i will look into the mod template for it. lOOKS NEAT!

M

maroite

Hehe, no kidding. Maybe they mean they are zooming way in (which of course blurs the crappy 1990s no-texture textures, just like it did in 3D and KR), but the "colors" and textures are exactly the same as 2D, except as noted (mobiles etc). Just don't zoom in - no one can make 2D tiles look good that way. It's numpad asterisk to reset zoom. Anyway this is an easy test, just take a screenshot of your character and your house or something in both clients.

Gliding =/= skipping. Gliding exists in 2D too. You will absolutely get used to the EC animations after a time. Thangorodrim is spot on -- you need to train yourself to get used to new things, driving a new car, sleeping in a new bed, eventually you stop focusing on differences.

StaticOnAtlantic - for your offset problem, check out this thread. You're not the only one, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. Maybe you can find some commonality in settings with other people experiencing it, and change your settings to banish the bug. Like Old Man, I run windowed too, and don't see this problem with menu gumps.

As for the container system and getting your old pack and bank back, look around in the options, there are settings to enable legacy inventories to get your teeny tiny old 2D backpack back. In fact in one of the macro threads, there's a great script macro you can use, bind it to a key and quickly swap between the different container layouts. It's great for stocking vendors for 2D users and then switching back to something that's sized for a modern resolution. Even if you don't like grid view for everyday use, it's awesome for stuff like tending plants and finding lost junk in your bags.

There are also nice mods for changing the graphics of the user interface, including the icons for hotkeys and skills (if you didn't like those). Several of them have a nice legacy-style runebook built in that's much larger and easier to read than 2D's. If you want it to really look like 2D with the grey stone look, I recommend the Legacy II UI mod. If you want something fresh and different, they have that too.

I'm sorry I picked on you, but your post is emblematic of many posts here and elsewhere about KR and now about EC - people run off a list of stuff they wanted in the client - stuff that already exists, stuff they'd have known already exists if they'd really given the client a fair shake! Equipped with some answers to your questions, maybe you can give it another go. :)
I actually zoom WAY out. I play on a 24" Widescreen and my EC has the same colors, but doesn't look ANYTHING like the 2d client. EC is crisper, and not as blocky/pixelated.