• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OMG

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really didnt leave UO i just took a break for 3 years LOL.
And now i come back and this? Doh. So pets based on there abililities can be trained higher? And of Course Slots!!! From what I heard the GD is obsolete now?

Ok guys make it short...Of Course i have pets like hiryu (fully trained old style) etc..Then These new pets...cant even find info About them over uo guide?

Also is it better to "train'" a "new" pet because the "older pets" miss some ie Patches or publisches?

I nice link where i can find more info About Training under the new System..OH and i heard the 120 powerscrolls i have been hording are neccessary for Training a cu over gm for example?

Just a nice link guys

Many thanks in advance

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before you do anything to your old pets, go through and check for valued pre-patch ones. Nightmare, White Wyrm are valuable (maybe others, if so, someone please mention). Bane Dragon is a rare. As you get settled, don't mess with any of them, you run the risk of wrecking a pet that can't be replaced.

Before you use any skill scrolls on anything, same advice. Wait, and don't mess up something and waste a scroll.

Try out Nightmare, Fire Steed, and Cu, as your ridables to train. All of these can be leveled solo off of Crazy Mage, in the bottom of Shame. Read more in the training thread. Some good basic builds, Nightmare- add AI, Fire Steed - add AI, Frenzied Whirlwind, then *last* Chivalry, Cu - add AI, Chiv. For resist, read the resist thread, but there are 3 schools on it, even split 73/73/73/73/73, Pawain Method 80/80/80/45/80, and hybrid 80/80/65/60/80. All have merit and there are some variations. After you get your 3 basic ridables over 80 in their casting skill, you'll have a good idea of how they work. From there, you can adjust to your style and experience. If you like ridables, the next one to try is Lesser Hiyru. You'll be able to level it off of Crazy Mage with another pet attacking first and soaking up the damage. On all your pets, remember to max out base damage each time you level, the max increases with each level. Add 5 Stam Regen. Mana Regen you'll probably want to raise up high.

On the pet's first level up, a general process is 1) Max base damage, 2) Stamina, Dex 150, 3) Set Resists, 4) Add AI or one of the special moves, 5) Stamina Regen 5, 6) Divide evenly remaining in Hit Points and Strength. This isn't inflexible (recommend at least #1-3), adjust according to the pet, your training style, and your usage. This should give you a basic huntable pet at the first level up. Because it's so vague, this is super generic advice.

Tame your new pets and wait a week until they bond, or you risk losing all your effort.

You can train Taming over 90 skill by casting Mastery. If you want an easy way to get a book, use a bard. You can usually find a Taming Mastery 1 book as bank leavings.

I think you'll enjoy the new changes. Welcome Back!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note also that some pets had radical slot changes.

Fire Beetles and Giant Beetles are now 1 slots, and if yours are still 3 slots you can get them down to 1 by release & retame, or IIRC transfer between characters. You might even get them to change by passing through the pet vendor system in New Mag, but not tried. They become tamer-only (but REALLY NICE) pets at 5th level, after 4 rounds of training (give them Poison, RC, AI, and they are like a tougher non-magic version of a Rune that you can ride - with either fire damage (fire beetle) or a 1600-stone pack (blue beetle). My Tamer/TH loves her Giant Beetle for hunts, though level 5 Ter Mur & Tokuno hunts can be problematic if the wrong spawn types spawn.

Depending on stats, a GD can still be a good generic pet, for when you don't know what you'll run into. But, for more focused hunts, taking a custom pet can be better.

If you have any 120 Wrestling Powerscrolls, they've gone from being worthless, to being one of the more costly ones, due to their pet application.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Note also that some pets had radical slot changes.

Fire Beetles and Giant Beetles are now 1 slots, and if yours are still 3 slots you can get them down to 1 by release & retame, or IIRC transfer between characters. You might even get them to change by passing through the pet vendor system in New Mag, but not tried.
This has not worked since patch 99. Pets now remain whatever slot they were originally tamed at unless they undergo advanced training process.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Also: If you have old pets, esp. old nightmares, old WWs, and then of course dreadmares and banes:
If you have many of these -- These are now rares, and sell for values that you are not familiar with. You may want to sell one of the nightmares or WWs to fund your game, if you have many of them.
But word of caution : Check the present day prices in the traders forum first before you consider selling.
You can get MANY millions of gold for a mare or WW (range is wide hate to use #s here but you need to check for yourself). e.g. Dreadmares now days usually 450-600 Million due to rarity, Bane dragons usually got for 150-160 Million, prepatch mares 40-100 M, prepatch WWs 50-100 M. Numbers vary by shard and buyer/seller.
You could be sitting on a gold pot with which you can buy scrolls etc.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
These are now rares, and sell for values that you are not familiar with.
And apparently you are not familiar with values either.

Dreadmares do NOT go for 450-600m, more like around 300m give or take. In fact the last several that have gone up had almost no interest in them at 250-300m
Prepatch mares have gone as low as 20-30m recently, some might pay more for a 525 str nightmare with good resists.
And white wyrms, tend to an average around 60m, with some higher quality ones or sheer desperation of the buyer, go for up to 100

Bake Kitsune are a forgotten legacy pet.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
And apparently you are not familiar with values either.

Dreadmares do NOT go for 450-600m, more like around 300m give or take. In fact the last several that have gone up had almost no interest in them at 250-300m
Prepatch mares have gone as low as 20-30m recently, some might pay more for a 525 str nightmare with good resists.
And white wyrms, tend to an average around 60m, with some higher quality ones or sheer desperation of the buyer, go for up to 100

Bake Kitsune are a forgotten legacy pet.
Glad to see prices are dropping on these. But the main point that you failed to see was to : If decide to sell any of these, LOOK in the forum for going prices nowdays, not the prices of 10 years ago. A newcomer may not be too aware and sell these to someone for really low prices. The final price will depend on buyer if available at all, and finally the seller.