• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old UO player here...

• Thread starter phoenix.rising13
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

phoenix.rising13

It is been approximately 5 or 6 years since I last seriously played UO. Several half-hearted attempts were made to get back into the game a few years back, but none of them amounted to anything. What memories I do have of those attempts, however, are preventing me from trying again.

From what I remember, the world of Ultima Online has been reduced to a blur of neon colors, needless items, and a growing number of players that suffer from what I call "WoW syndrome".
If I am wrong about the latter statement, someone please correct me.
Aesthetically, neon clothing, armor, weapons, mounts, and damn near everything else destroy the tasteful simplicity and realism the game used to have. This I am fairly certain of.

Now, to get to the point of all this cynical ranting that none of you care about, I was wondering if there is any place in the modern UO for an old gamer like myself.

Is there a way that I can play the game that I used to love? Is there balance between melee and magic in a PvP game? Is there a way I can play a game where everyone is NOT wearing something the color of a Vegas strip club sign?

I've noticed that UO has "overhauled" everything with this new Kingdom Reborn patch. Is this worth playing? Are the bugs worked out? Does this patch move the game visually back to what it was, removing the neon vomit everywhere?

I know it's a lot of questions. Feel free to not answer. Unless my suspicions are proven otherwise, I'll stick with them and never pick the game up again, which would be a sad thing, but I suppose it would be better than playing again, expecting the UO of old, and being throughly disappointed.

Thanks for you time.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is been approximately 5 or 6 years since I last seriously played UO. Several half-hearted attempts were made to get back into the game a few years back, but none of them amounted to anything. What memories I do have of those attempts, however, are preventing me from trying again.

From what I remember, the world of Ultima Online has been reduced to a blur of neon colors, needless items, and a growing number of players that suffer from what I call "WoW syndrome".
If I am wrong about the latter statement, someone please correct me.
Aesthetically, neon clothing, armor, weapons, mounts, and damn near everything else destroy the tasteful simplicity and realism the game used to have. This I am fairly certain of.

Now, to get to the point of all this cynical ranting that none of you care about, I was wondering if there is any place in the modern UO for an old gamer like myself.

Is there a way that I can play the game that I used to love? Is there balance between melee and magic in a PvP game? Is there a way I can play a game where everyone is NOT wearing something the color of a Vegas strip club sign?

I've noticed that UO has "overhauled" everything with this new Kingdom Reborn patch. Is this worth playing? Are the bugs worked out? Does this patch move the game visually back to what it was, removing the neon vomit everywhere?

I know it's a lot of questions. Feel free to not answer. Unless my suspicions are proven otherwise, I'll stick with them and never pick the game up again, which would be a sad thing, but I suppose it would be better than playing again, expecting the UO of old, and being throughly disappointed.

Thanks for you time.
It all comes down to you, really.

Yes there's lots of neon, which I personally dislike too. The brightest colour around used to be a set of Phoenix armor. Nowadays a set of Phoenix armor makes you look bland. It did destroy much of the old feel. Back in the day you'd get your GM leather armor (dyed in a wild, wild, leather dye tub colour) and you were good to go. Only to die and buy a new set of armor.
Nowadays it is slightly more WoW. UO has gotten more item based and losing items isn't nearly as common as it used to be.

Deep down it's still partially the old UO, only it has grown/changed in many ways. It is up to you if you are willing to give the changes a try. Expecting the old UO would be naive. A game that doesn't change for 10 years will not keep appealing to it's user base. Especially if a game with some big structural differences (being WoW - ~10 million players) is a huge hit. So UO has WoW'ed a bit, but it depends on your perception on whether or not this is a problem.
I'd recommend opening up your account again for a month. Or even a free 14 day trial (see the acc management page). If you don't like it, just close your account again. If you do like it, then you will have gained a fun gaming experience. I personally left for a while too. When I returned I was shocked for the first week. After that week I got the hang of stuff and noticed all the old UO through the new stuff.

As for KR, it is a fair alternative. Many people look at it through '2D glasses' and expect the old retro look. This isn't fair, I think. KR has some great features, and some things do look a lot better.

L

Loqucious

The PVP will be difficult because you will need some expensive gear, but I've played this game of 7 plus years and I still love it. Welcome back should you choose to return.

B

Bubbles

What the heck is really that expensive anymore? Barbed kits are as low as 1.7, arites.. a dime a dozen! Most I could think of spending would be on maybe a cryst ring and crimson which are still up there in price but not that expensive!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Try Siege Perilous, it will be the closest you get old UO.
Go take a look at the sticky on the shard forum.

J

Joyous2K

It doesn't sound like you want to come back. The game is how you described and it also brings back memories of the old days. SO, it is really up to you.

S

SDragor

Well, there's not much you can do about neon colored outfit. People wear what they consider to be cool. What matters is the way YOU look at the game.

I joined a community called the United Pirates (Catskills), and it is the best thing I have done in UO. They do pvp (guild wars) without the madness of Felucca dudes boasting with their uber equipment. They do roleplaying, without exaggerating it. They do not allow neon ("landlubber") equipment. They're a fun community. Anyone who joins such communities (and their enemy guilds) contributes to a better UO and will have more fun, in my opinion.

I tell you this, because I want to demonstrate that all depends on you, the way you play the game, and the group of people you have as friends. If you enter the artifact-gold-seeking dreadmill, the game will probably get stale very quickly. It is up to you!

T

T_Amon_from_work

In all honesty, Kaj gives a fair assessment of the production shards in general. And I dislike neon as you do. I use 2D and have tried KR. IMO, KR is good but unfinished in respect to several things in my playing world. It has improved a lot over initial release ...

I started in 1998 and I have a good idea of what has gone the way of the Dodo. FrejaSP makes a good suggestion for one like you - Siege Perilous. The RoT skill gain is quite different, but it is very close to the UO community you likely recall.