• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old Times: The worst thing you ever told a newb

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I remember one time we had a newer player in our guild and he managed to throw down a purple Llama.

He was so excited he was like "OMG what the heck! Look guys at my EV!"

And one of our guildies says..... "Oh sweet! This is your lucky day quick double click it and you can ride it!"

So of course the newb double clicked it and it killed him. And of course we all laughed... and then told him the truth.

So remembering old times... what is the worst thing you ever told a newb or that you were told as a newb?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst thing: Me and a couple other people were telling someone that Alt+F4 did something in-game (I forget exactly what.) He came back a very short time later and yelled at us.

I don't really remember much else, tbh.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Worst thing: Me and a couple other people were telling someone that Alt+F4 did something in-game (I forget exactly what.) He came back a very short time later and yelled at us.

I don't really remember much else, tbh.
Yup. I think we'd tell someone it made you dance (before KR and the gestures), or opened their bankbox right there (without being at a bank). Sure was fun for a while!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It wasn't on purpose, but I was teaching a new player how to use ships and was explaining the commands of how to steer the ship....

I was on land and he was standing on the ship. When I told him the command to go forward was to say "forward" he immediately said it, causing the ship to sail off into the ocean before I had a chance to tell him any of the other commands like how to stop the ship from moving....

I ran into him a few days later on another character and he told me that he sat on that ship sailing forward for half an hour straight, not knowing how to make the ship stop, until the ship eventually crashed into an island where he got stuck since he did not have any way to recall......

As far as I know, that guys character has been marooned on that island for almost 10 years.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Sorry, but my magery isn't high enough to res, but take this gate to the shrine" *cough cough* An Grav...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It wasn't on purpose, but I was teaching a new player how to use ships and was explaining the commands of how to steer the ship....

I was on land and he was standing on the ship. When I told him the command to go forward was to say "forward" he immediately said it, causing the ship to sail off into the ocean before I had a chance to tell him any of the other commands like how to stop the ship from moving....

I ran into him a few days later on another character and he told me that he sat on that ship sailing forward for half an hour straight, not knowing how to make the ship stop, until the ship eventually crashed into an island where he got stuck since he did not have any way to recall......

As far as I know, that guys character has been marooned on that island for almost 10 years.
WILSON!

Dexterslab

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I told a friend at start of AOS, that with pig iron in his bagpack he has a little chance to craft a magical black sword and watched him hidden 30 minutes crafting swords till i told him the truth.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a new player I was told that I would gain stats faster if I followed him to Felucca. [I had no idea of Felucca/Tram and the differences as I was TOTALLY new to the game and hadn't read anything about it]. So we went through the gate and ...

No he didn't kill me. He took me to Brit bank Felucca and gave me a Tambourine. And he was off on his merry way. [I think I had to renounce my Young status to get to Felucca or something]. Well off I went exploring and oddly enough met other players who would attack and kill me. This happened almost constantly for a couple of weeks. I wasnt gaining skills as I wasnt alive long enough. I was lost somewhere in the wilds with no idea how to get back to a city. Finally one Saturday afternoon I was challenged to a 1 v 1 dual no pots no para by a mage called Zeus. He owned me and looted my corpse within seconds then trash talked me from inside his house. I gave up UO for six months after that thinking that the game was just too riddled with player killers. This must have been about year 2000 or so.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is kind of opposite but next newb thing after I returned after a six months gap [and I am still in Felucca] guy takes me to the Lost Lands via the tunnel near Vesper. I am like this is great! We wander about a bit and he has to log off and says bye and wishes me well. But he has led me into the middle of the Lost Lands [not nastily].

I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to get back to civilisation. I remember even bumping to another "lost" newb who had been stuck there for twenty minutes so he was logging for the night and also wished me luck in finding an escape. Eventually I stumbled back upon the entrance to the tunnel to Vesper. I didnt ever dare venture back into the LL for weeks... and only then because I discovered the "stuck" button :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On GL back in the early days, the fun thing to do was have a dog "guard" a door and then get a newbie to open it. The newb would flag grey and then get pounded by everyone watching...ahhh good times...for all but the newb(s).

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
... gating them to the middle of the one tile square hedge in Old Haven and watching them stand there for a long time until they realized they could recall out of it.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Ok, I got a real bad one and it was not done by me, it was done by one my closest friends back in the day when we started UO, he no longer plays for years
I managed to get permission to tell the story.....

He would wait by the gates, when you could name yourself EM whatever.....
And go up to people and say they would get banned if they didn't give an item back, well half the people didn't know what item he was talking about, so he would just say, give me your acc details and I will change it from system background so you dont have to look through your items..... and obv, he would log and clean the acc and delete all the chars........ really nasty but was a laugh for a while!!

It kinda happened to me what my mate did with one of my 1st acc too, but I wasn't bothered as I just started. Although years and years later, I noticed items in EU where in Drachs, so someone must of moved them back in the day.

Also remember the days of camping outside people homes to kill them to steal the house keys...... I am so glad we dont have keys anymore!!

Another fond memory of taking newbs to the middle of Fel, opening a gate, making them go through and closing the gate behind them!!!

Or telling a new to fight a blackrock elemental, and saying they have to put more effort to kill it and seeing them die over and over again.

This one is another of my mates stories although this one is more typical, luring spawn or a tamed pet next to someone and releasing it and stuff like that.

I think Ive mentioned it before but one of my 1st memories that happened to me was being taken to fel and killed straight away.
Flagging my attacker, going grey and getting guard whacked over and over and I didn't know why!!
Also I remember trying to take on someone with 5GDS or was it 5 Dreadmares, no chance in hell was I gonna win a fight like that!!! LOL

This game has given me lots of fond memories and funny moments and I am sure many more to come too!!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atl- F4 would open up the command line where you'd be able to enter a list of cheat code commands.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I once told a noob to go to Stratics UHall to find information on game play.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
took a noob to test center ( great lakes at the time) told him to take all the gold checks secure it in his house told him to log into great lakes the all the gold check will be there. We had a good laugh

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I once told a newb that I would repair his gold platemail suit of armour for free.......... :)

I then hid and watched a full blown hissy fit unfold. Boom!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL

• Telling newbs to kill the shepherds outside Delucia for fame and treasure and then watching them turn turn red in a matter of minutes.
  • Hey, new guy in Trammel, I am quitting and giving away all of my stuff...jump into this gate, I want to show you my house.
  • Or then there was a time I farmed Felucca stones from lizardmen for a day and then passed them out to newbs at WBB and told them to plant them outside of town and enter the gate to find a secret treasure room. >:)

...la

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I got a real bad one and it was not done by me, it was done by one my closest friends back in the day when we started UO, he no longer plays for years
I managed to get permission to tell the story.....

He would wait by the gates, when you could name yourself EM whatever.....
And go up to people and say they would get banned if they didn't give an item back, well half the people didn't know what item he was talking about, so he would just say, give me your acc details and I will change it from system background so you dont have to look through your items..... and obv, he would log and clean the acc and delete all the chars........ really nasty but was a laugh for a while!!

It kinda happened to me what my mate did with one of my 1st acc too, but I wasn't bothered as I just started. Although years and years later, I noticed items in EU where in Drachs, so someone must of moved them back in the day.

Also remember the days of camping outside people homes to kill them to steal the house keys...... I am so glad we dont have keys anymore!!

Another fond memory of taking newbs to the middle of Fel, opening a gate, making them go through and closing the gate behind them!!!

Or telling a new to fight a blackrock elemental, and saying they have to put more effort to kill it and seeing them die over and over again.

This one is another of my mates stories although this one is more typical, luring spawn or a tamed pet next to someone and releasing it and stuff like that.

I think Ive mentioned it before but one of my 1st memories that happened to me was being taken to fel and killed straight away.
Flagging my attacker, going grey and getting guard whacked over and over and I didn't know why!!
Also I remember trying to take on someone with 5GDS or was it 5 Dreadmares, no chance in hell was I gonna win a fight like that!!! LOL

This game has given me lots of fond memories and funny moments and I am sure many more to come too!!
You need to work on your fiction writing