• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Old School Tank Mage

J

[JD]

I have a friend who reactivated his 12+ year old account and his main is an old school tank mage. Magery, eval, swordsmanship, tactics, wrestling, med, and he has inscription I think...

His template is a mess and I'm trying to offer him solutions. Here's what I came up with...

1. Embrace your mage and drop the wrestle, tactics, and swordsmanship. Pick up Necro, SS, and resist. Use a mage weapon.

2. Tactics mage, get a Bokuto for Nerve Strike. (Requires Bushido too right? if so, drop wrestle). Should his Bokuto have Spell Channeling?

3. Drop wrestle, add a mage weapon, and change swordsmanship to archery for an archer/mage combo.

Anything else jump out at you?

Keep in mind this is a returning player who does not have a ton of cash or money, so whatever I help him become needs to not cost a lot. 1 Mil GP to this guy would be a lot.

I'm going to get him out and spawning so in a few weeks money will be less of an issue, but for now, its a big one. I'm kinda thinking the necromage or archermage might be his best bet for now.

C

Caelas

I've actually been wanting to do something similar to your friend's template with my garg.

Magery
Eval
Med
Focus
Mystic
Resist
Tactics

With a -20 mage weapon and armor imbued for all 70s, 100 LRC, some DCI, HCI, SSI on a sword with 50% lightning, and if it will fit +20 magery somewhere to offset the weapon cost. I'm dirt poor though and making such a suit would be expensive...and for some reason tank mages fell out of style long before I started playing. Still have yet to grasp that.

A

A Rev

Why the hell would you waste points on tactics without a weapon skill??

Mage weapon doesnt count as a weapon skill you will not be able to use specials.

C

Caelas

Why the hell would you waste points on tactics without a weapon skill??

Mage weapon doesnt count as a weapon skill you will not be able to use specials.
Why the hell would you spout out what I already know without offering some insight or advice?

Oh yeah... :postcount: That's why.

I chose Tactics so I'd be hitting harder.
For Tactics Skill Levels >= 100.0
Tactics Damage Bonus = Skill Level/1.6 + 6.25
Assuming 100 skill, I'd be at 68.75 bonus. With anatomy, it would be 55%. Only had room for one or the other. I wouldn't be using specials (OMFG!!!111!!!eleven!!!!111) as the 50% Lightning (or w/e I put on it) would be special enough.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why the hell would you spout out what I already know without offering some insight or advice?

Assuming 100 skill, I'd be at 68.75 bonus. With anatomy, it would be 55%. Only had room for one or the other. I wouldn't be using specials (OMFG!!!111!!!eleven!!!!111) as the 50% Lightning (or w/e I put on it) would be special enough.
in that odd situation, i'd still go with anatomy as if your anatomy/eval adds up to 220 it is like defensive wrestle, that way when you get disarmed you would still have defense.

But tbh i'd put those skill points into something else...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in that odd situation, i'd still go with anatomy as if your anatomy/eval adds up to 220 it is like defensive wrestle, that way when you get disarmed you would still have defense.

But tbh i'd put those skill points into something else...
I had an archer mage with tact and anatomy. My idea was to have him be capable of high moving shot damage and not be disarm-bait, but I realized to do good damage you really need a heavy, and if I had enough stam to shoot fast I wouldn't have any mana.. so I changed the character entirely.

A

A Rev

The advice was givin, i said why waste points...that is a waste of points.

Youll take your damage from 11 to around 16. Thats just not worth a 100point investment.