• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old school returning player. Template viability?

B

Blackbeard

Ok, so I decided to come back to UO after ~5 years absence. Played since 97, quit around 02.

My template is this:

100 Magery
100 Med
100 Resist
100 Wrestling
100 Eval
100 Anatomy
100 Healing

What with ALLLLL the changes, is this a template worth keeping or should I ditch the healing and go scribe or something else?

Opinions welcome

C

Clx-

Heal/anat mage is still viable, if a little underpowered compared to some other options.

I'm too tired to go through all the options now, but the two easiest things for you to do that can get you back into the game quick:

1. Drop anat/heal for scribe + scroll up other skills.

2. Drop wrestle(eval + anat can be your defensive wrestle) and scroll up your other skills.

There's better options, but all would involve much more template modification.

I'll post some more later if no one else beats me to it.

I

imported_Chad Sexington

If you want to play a defensive mage, I think the parry mage a much better choice. 7 second heals aren't worth it. If you can afford the scrolls go for:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist
120 Wrestle
120 Parry

O

OptPrime

120 magery
120 eval int
120 med
120 magic resist
120 necromancy
120 spiritspeak

use a staff of magi/staff or pyros/swords of prosperity/jeenas staff or a mage wep with dci.

Id strongly suggest 45 dci on your template, which would allow you to suffer from a low phys suit allowing an easier aim at 40 lmc atleast 6-8 mana regen and 60+ resists (70ish atleast with fire/poison to avoid corpse skin destruction)

I

imported_Splup

First of all, can you afford +20 scrolls?

I created template to which you need to change you character the least. Skip those necromage promotions etc. Im sure this is The template for oldschool inscription mage

Depending on you bankroll:

110-120 magery
110-120 eval
115-120 wrestling (If there's a way to afford 1x +20 scrolls, use it on wrestling! Otherwise those archers are real pain in the ass)
110-120 resisting spells
80-120 meditation (Depending on your suits manaregen)
100 scribe
60 chivarly (If you have free skillpoints for it)

Then you need to start collecting armor for your mage.

What mage suit needs:
Mana regen (more the better, max cap is 12)
Lower mana cost (more the better)
Defence chance increase (more the better, max cap is 45)
Faster casting 2
Faster cast recovery 5-6
Spell damage increase would be nice too
High resist! (All resists 70 if you can make such suit)
Lower reagent cost 100 % (You dont _need_ this, but it's really great to have)

I know creating a suit with all these properties can be pain in the ass, and I think you shouldnt try to get all at once.

Create a suit with High resists, some mana regen, some lower mana cost, and if you can get some defence chance increase it would be nice. Then start to PvP. And then start changing piece by piece you suit to better one

Faster casting 2 and Faster cast recovery 5 or 6 is a MUST.

If you think "Why I need chivarly?" Answer is, Remove curse will rock your world when archers/necros attack you. Remove curse removes Mortal (If you have mortal on, you can not be healed), and it also removes strangle.

For wrestling mage Scrapper's Compedium book is great, get it! ( http://www.uostuff.com/index.php?title=Scrapper%27s_Compendium )
As you can see, it gives FC 1, FCR 1, SDI 25% (which is more then PvP cap, so it maxes your spell damage) and lower manacost 10%

And most importantly, get friends who knows todays PvP, and play with them. I came back too as pre AoS player and this all was so messed up that I almost quit UO. But I found people to help me to get on my feet again and they teached me how to PvP nowdays, and it's damn fun now! And remember, because of insurance, once you get you suit done, you will always have it

And most importantly, Welcome Back!