• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old Player Returning

• Thread starter Angus MacGregor
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

Angus MacGregor

Hello, LS! It's been a while... a long while.

I've been gone from UO since around 1999. I loved this game. In fact, I loved it too much. So much so that my wife was threatening to divorce me, which is pretty much why I ended up leaving.

I've bounced around a few different MMOs since I've been gone, and some were pretty good, but lately I've found myself gameless and bored. So I'm coming back to UO. (Downloading the client as I type this.)

My main character used to be Angus MacGregor. Unfortunately, I'm having to start from scratch since I've been gone so long, and have forgotten my old account details. I suppose that can be a good thing, as it will give me a chance to learn the game from the ground up all over again. I can't wait to see all that has changed since I've been gone.

I should actually be in the game tonight, once I'm done installing and patching. I think I may work on a fisherman first. I used to love fishing in this game, and I have really missed it.

See you guys around!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back.

You'll find you will enjoy the game more if it's a hobby and not an obsession.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Also, look stuff up at UOGuide.com. Look up the "cooperative collections" (properly called "Community Collections"), as one of them has a nice reward for fish. There's also neat rewards for the highest-end fishing net now.

You picked an interesting time to return.....The Shadowlords are loose in our world and the rulers of the realm recently had their guts scattered all over Lord British's castle.

-Galen's player

A

Angus MacGregor

Welcome back.

You'll find you will enjoy the game more if it's a hobby and not an obsession.
I hesitate to say that I was obsessed over the game. I was just having a blast, and used most of my free time to play. I would describe myself as a rabid casual player. I played casually... just too much. Hehe.

Anyway, I'm still happily married, and I'm sure the wife would be more than happy to let me know in a most physical way if I was starting to play too much again. :D

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, if you still have access to either the email address you used to register, or the credit card you used to pay, you can call 1-800-543-5435 and talk to the account services. There is a good chance you can get your account back.

A

Angus MacGregor

Also, if you still have access to either the email address you used to register, or the credit card you used to pay, you can call 1-800-543-5435 and talk to the account services. There is a good chance you can get your account back.
It's been so long, I can't remember the old e-mail address I used for the account. Also, I haven't had that old CC for a long time now.

It's cool, though. Part of me really wants to start from scratch, and learn the game from the ground up once again. :)

I've already set up the new account, and I'll be in the game tonight! Yay!

D

Devil_Woman

While you're here, Angus, you should check out the posts about the Community Meet-ups. Every Monday night at the Community Center (old counselor guild hall near the bank) in Skara Brae, Trammel, the LS community holds a community meeting open to anyone and everyone. There they will give out whatever news there may be regarding ongoing events, upcoming publishes, etc., and also give the week's schedule of community activities such as hunts. There is usually some planned activity for almost every night of the week, all open to anyone on the shard who wishes to participate.

They also rather frequently serve refreshments. :lick:

A

Angus MacGregor

Argh. I spent 5 hours downloading the file, and it turned out to be corrupted. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for my disk to come in the mail.

What a bummer.

D

Devil_Woman

Ah, that's too bad. Do let us know when you get it all working and can get in game. In the meantime, check out the threads here on the Community Meet-ups. Maybe you'll get lucky and the disk will arrive in time for you to make it Monday night.

A

Angus MacGregor

Ah, that's too bad. Do let us know when you get it all working and can get in game. In the meantime, check out the threads here on the Community Meet-ups. Maybe you'll get lucky and the disk will arrive in time for you to make it Monday night.
I hope so. Some of the most fun times I had in the game were the player run events.

K

Kaveros Sennald

Welcome back, Angus.

I'm in a fairly similar situation, just came back about a month ago, and I've been gone since... oh, must be about late 2000 or so. I didn't have access to my old email or CC either, so didn't even bother wasting a customer service rep's time.

A lot changed... I stripped myself of "Young" status right off so I could get to Felucca and see what became of my beloved Rivendell. The buildings themselves are standing but... Its not Rivendell anymore. The spirit of the place and the people that made it Rivendell are gone. Just as well... Now I have no reason to go back to Felucca and risk getting caught up in PvP. I hate PvP anyway.

There's still some really old-timers hanging around though and some new friends to adventure with and new sights to see. And its great to see I'm not the only one coming back.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Angus,
I authorized you on icq but don't see you on my list *pouts*
try again?

Plucky Duck

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
havent checked tram but was running around fel and there seems to be room for max storage houses if you know how to place. Let me know if you need any help

A

Aboo

It shocked me but we were able to find a spot to place a tower for him in Trammel which he has now customized to look like an updated "old forge". Ah brings back memories.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It shocked me but we were able to find a spot to place a tower for him in Trammel which he has now customized to look like an updated "old forge". Ah brings back memories.
PICS!!

A

Angus MacGregor

Ack! Not until I actually get some furniture and stuff put in it! It's pretty empty at the moment.

I think I need an interior decorator, though. I am terrible at decorating. That, and my crafter is a newbie who can't make anything past medium crates, which makes it difficult. Also, I really haven't seen much of the new items and furniture that has been put into the game since I've been gone, which makes it hard to know what would look good in there.

If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to give you a rune and let you come check it out for yourself. :)

S

Shadowplayer

Hello Angus!

Your name seems familiar to me. Were you part of the Rebellion back in Trinsic all those years ago?

The Shadow

A

Angus MacGregor

I at first thought of Angus Thorn. The timing lines up decently, and the circumstances sound familiar.

But of course then you would have said Angus Thorn in your original post.

-Galen's player
Nope. I'm not him.

I'm much better looking. :)

A

Angus MacGregor

GalenKnighthawke said:
Do we know each other?
It's very possible if you were around when I used to play. Please forgive me if I don't remember you. It's been so long, and my memory is terrible.

Lots of people knew me mostly because I was one of the guys who used to do free crafting for newbies in Skara Brae. We'd have events where we would spend hours doing nothing but helping out new players with armor, weapons, and anything else we could craft. A lot of older players would come by and dump tons of resources for us to be able to help out more folks. I REALLY miss those days. It was so much fun meeting everyone and just hanging out and having a good time. I fear those times are gone, though, since there really aren't many newer players to help out like that. It's such a shame.

And now I find myself completely on the other end of the spectrum. Now I'm the new guy, and woefully behind everyone else in the game. Everything is so expensive now, it's mind boggling. I really don't have any income yet, so almost everything is out of my price range. (I visited Luna and checked out all the vendors. OMG, how do you people afford anything???) Hopefully I may start making a bit of money after I GM Fishing. I'm over 90 now! Yay me!

GalenKnighthawke said:
If you have a kill on sight list, am I on it?
I never had a KOS list. I totally suck at PvP. Plus, since I'm stuck on dialup out here in the boonies, lag is a big factor for me.

But if you want, I could kill you once for old time's sake. But you'd have to stand still for a while. My combat skills are very low, so it may take a bit of time to whittle down your health. ;)

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Angus,

Do you dabble in the taming of wild beasties? If so I can help you get a good pet to aid in the fund raising. Let me know.

Stayin Alive,

BG

A

Angus MacGregor

Angus,

Do you dabble in the taming of wild beasties? If so I can help you get a good pet to aid in the fund raising. Let me know.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Aye, I enjoy taming the wee beasties. At the moment, I have two drakes, a frenzied ostard, and a big blue beetle - thanks to some kind folks. My taming and lore are a bit over 85, but I can get my taming to 100 with a ring I found. Now I just need to get my magery and such up to par so I can survive taming things on my own! :)

I thought drakes had magic, but I guess not. They do great helping me survive the serpents when I'm fishing (I'm at 93 now) but sometimes they have trouble fighting the serps because they don't have much for ranged attacks except firebreath. My poor ostard was getting killed all the time. Thank goodness he's bonded to me.

Any suggestions on a beastie that would be better suited for helping out a lone fisherman just trying to find his fortune in the deep blue?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might want to try the Bake Kitsune

Although I am not familiar with using them, I have heard they can be quite formidable mages. You can command 2 at a time, and they love to eat fish :drool:. They are very ferocious to tame, so bring help. I was more wondering if you had a tamer more suited to land based combat. I can find you an outstanding Cu Sidhe that could use a good home (need 101.1 minimum taming to bond). I'd even throw in the Pads if you were human, for a small fee).

The serpents of the seas are vulnerable to Snake slaying weapons and spellbooks. My fisherman uses the later very effectively. I am sure my library has some slayer books, I can look for you.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A guildmate and I went hunting for some of decent Bake Kitsunes. Here are the stats on the two we thought were best to keep.

A: 347hp
193 Str; 126 Dex; 409 Int
Resists: 51/82/59/56/59

C: 348hp
174 Str; 133 Dex; 423 Int
Resists: 55/82/56/56/48

They should tear through any serpent you meet on the high seas. Please let me know if you would like them.

-BG

A

Angus MacGregor

Thanks for the info, Barry! I may be interested!

How do they stack up as a pet against a dragon or a nightmare?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For general combat, I do not know how they would fair vs the dragon/mare combo. But from a boat they should ice the serpents and water eles. They are yours for the taking, if you want them. If you dont like them, release them back to the wild. When do you want to pick them up?
-BG

A

Angus MacGregor

I should be on tomorrow evening for a while some time after 5pm. I can look for you on ICQ.

P

peanutbutter

Nope, I'm currently out there in City of Villains/City of Heroes planning world domination there.
what server? my account is closed now that i'm back in UO, but i played on Champion in a little (hee hee) SG called Stryke Force.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Angus...your name sure seems familiar to me. Do you remember Xenobia or DKNY? Welcome back and if you need anymore help let me know :)

A

Angus MacGregor

Hey Angus...your name sure seems familiar to me. Do you remember Xenobia or DKNY? Welcome back and if you need anymore help let me know :)
The name Xenobia sounds very familiar. Hmmm....

Argh... brain hurts from trying to use it to remember things.