• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old FAQ Update Thread. Reference only.

G

Guildenstern

The new FAQ - which now includes Chandalir's publish 16 changes, the kronos' pvp FAQ and *most* of the old FAQ, as edited by MasterCraft:

anything in general which needs to be added? Productive criticism is welcomed. If you think it needs to be added, provide the information /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif and we'll put it in.

***Edit***
11/14/02:
Old FAQ returned to normal date; Meditation, Mindblast and Fastcast information retained (in whole) from old FAQ and moved into section: Miscellaneous Information.

Issues that I see with the current FAQ:

Mindblast information could use an update.
8x8 needs a bit of 'help' (in progress)
How to raise your stats under the new no-see-saw system: could use a slightly more in-depth look, I think.

Volunteers anyone? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif Opinions? As I stated above, we're looking for answers not just questions /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif so try to provide both!

<edit> This thread should be unstickied by the end of July </edit>

C

Chandalir

Edit this in MasterCrafts old FAQ;

<blockquote><hr>

Protection: when cast, reduces the probability of getting disrupted to 25%. It also lowers the chance to be hit in general by about 10%.

<hr></blockquote>

Protection never lowered chance to actually be hit, so it ought to be removed. It might mislead some people.

Other than that, I cant wait to see it all being summed into one /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif Still trying to think of more to add, so don't worry! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

S

seas

change the formula to (eval+anat)/2 +10. looks less confusing to me at least.

it also says in the faq that the eval+anat thing only accounts for evasion(which is quoted from osi, and osi messed up), and your chance to hit is zero without wrestling, but from what i've tested, your chance to hit is the same as if you had the same in wrestling, so 220 points in eval/anat makes you hit just as much as 120 wrestle.

for mindblast damage, your max hp, stamina and mana are checked, NOT str, dex and int. this doesn't matter so much i guess, but with low str and 125 int, you won't take 40+ dmg mindblasts.

A

Adon

I would like to see the mindblast damage ranges remain, or even better yet have them updated. I plan to test it myself if necessary next time there's a test center to play with, but it's going to be some time. You can always edit it later to include it right?

Also, I've seen it mentioned that resist "doesn't help" with mindblast damage, but no hard data. Does that mean the spell can't be resisted at all? A mage with 50 magery casting off the scroll against someone with 120 resist is still going to get the full effect of the spell every time?

A

Adon

Has someone tested to see if the eval+anat wrestling bonus really is providing actual wrestling skill? Anyone scoring stun punches or managing disarm with 0 wrestling?

S

seas

well i did quite a big mb test after publish 16, but i think either my comp crashed or i forgot to save the results /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

anyhow from my tests of what i remember the lower the original mb damage was(and also of course, the lower stat difference) the higher amount of times i resisted the spell.

when the damage was in the 20's range(unresisted) i resisted 50% of the time at gm skills, and when it was 40 i resisted maybe 20% or less. so if you want resist to *make up* for your unbalanced stats it won't help in mb damage. that's something which needs hard result tests of course..

to get over 40 damage there has to be a large difference in eval and resist, in the lines of 70(in eval's favour), but again that's something that has to be tested more. and it also depends on the stat difference, which with 125 max and 10 min make a large difference, but with high resist the mb damage will never go over 40.

i don't seem to resist poison much against dragons, so i'm wondering if the 50% chance at gm vs gm(the new, what i heard) to resist it, might be the cap?

what about the general chance to resist spells? this really needs to be tested.

K

Kalika

Yes MB can be resisted, (not that it helps a whole lot), but it can be done. My Dexxer gets hit for normally around 40-45 with MB and when he resists its around 20-30. (MB was cast by the same mage around 40 times or so, so i dont want to hear people say that it might just be various mages hitting for different ammounts.)

Thanks and enjoy

P

panos

Is it possible for someone to find out the exact formula of stun punch? I have already sent an e-mail to UO support but got no answer so far.

S

seas

formula for 100% success chance for un-passive(uhh..wth is it called) meditation:

( int / (meditation/100) ) /3 = current mana needed for 100% chance

<pre>
int med mana needed for 100% success
100 100 33,3
125 100 41,6
50 100 16,7
100 120 28,8
125 120 34,7</pre>

[edit]doh &gt;_&lt;[/edit]

S

Smelty

OK - you can completely ignore this post - you CAN cast on the tillerman - It wasn't making and sound or animation or effects (in 2D anyway), but I noticed my mana going down AND I went from 100.2 to 101. Sorry for the panic attack.
"I'm BETTER NOW" /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Below was the original unfounded rant.

1. You can't cast magic arrow, nightsight, or poison on the tillerman.
2. You can't cast telekinesis on a bottle on your boat.

Maybe this happened with post publish 16 boats, but you can't do it anymore.
So stop with the crap suggestions on how to raise Eval Int, and come up with something that is actually possible.

Thanks - Any suggestions MUCH appreciated.

EDITED IN LATER (no replies yet)
What I meant to say was - does this still work if you BOUGHT YOUR BOAT very recently, ie a NEW boat - I have 3 brand new boats, and can't cast anything on the tillermen - even tried 3 different chars as well. I have done this in the past, ages ago, so I know how the system is supposed to work. Thanks again for the tips (in advance - I have heard casting on your spellbook or a crystal ball should work - but I haven't tried these yet either).

G

lol that your hard work to gm resist and get scroll or buy em for million was a complete waste now!! i spent 17 mil and all i got out of it was a kick ass voker!!
in aos= age of = pvp is the suxxor now!!!

O

ocultek

AoS era damage types for all the spells. Flamestrike and Fireball seem obvious; we have been told about Harm and Mind Blast; but what about Earthquake, Blade Spirits, etc? Do spells have only one type of damage or mixes?

T

TinkerMage

**THIS WAS IN ANOTHER THREAD BUT I WANTED SOMEBODY TO TAKE A LOOK AT IT AND IT WAS QUICKLY FALLING OFF THE FIRST PAGE**

**FROM UO.COM**
This spell now deals an amount of cold damage based upon the caster's Magery and Intelligence values.
(40-42 Damage at 100 Magery 100 Int) Elemental Resistances reduce damage.
**End From UO.COM**
Notice they don't mention Inscription or Evaluate Int, keep that in mind "mages" who don't have those skills )

Test I just ran using my own character who just happened to be at nice even numbers...

At 110 Magery and 110 Int vs. 0 Cold Resist
(20 casts)
(44-48 points of damage)

At 110 Magery and 122 Int (blessed) vs. 0 Cold Resist
(20 casts)
(46-50 points of damage)

At 110 Magery and 92 Int (cursed no resist) vs. 0 Cold Resist
(20 casts)
(40-44)

103.8 Magery, 122 Int (test settings mimic above, etc.)
(stopped at 10 casts, now assuming damage range is 4)
(45-49)

103.8 Magery, 110 Int
(actually took about 23 casts to finally get the 46 damage, discarded 3 dups)
(42-46)

103.8 Magery, 92 Int
(10 casts)
43,43,42,43,43,43,40,39,40,41 (took 12 casts to get 41 damage, discard 2 dups)

Using the above numbers and the following GUESS formula...
((Magery + Int)/2)*.4 + (0-4 points of damage) (round down)

That formula works out for all of the tests I did above, it may not be exact and since test center isn't up I can't really check, but I think that's close enough to count, I used the *.4 (because another spell used 40% magery for the duration in the same circle and I figured it was a good place to start, plus I noticed the damages they listed, I bet if somebody has GM Magery/100 Int out there they'll get 40-44 points of damage instead of what they have listed on uo.com).

Hope that helps.
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif,
Rosencrantz = Bored at work **FROM UO.COM**
This spell now deals an amount of cold damage based upon the caster's Magery and Intelligence values.
(40-42 Damage at 100 Magery 100 Int) Elemental Resistances reduce damage.
**End From UO.COM**
Notice they don't mention Inscription or Evaluate Int, keep that in mind "mages" who don't have those skills /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

Test I just ran using my own character who just happened to be at nice even numbers...

At 110 Magery and 110 Int vs. 0 Cold Resist
(20 casts)
(44-48 points of damage)

At 110 Magery and 122 Int (blessed) vs. 0 Cold Resist
(20 casts)
(46-50 points of damage)

At 110 Magery and 92 Int (cursed /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif no resist) vs. 0 Cold Resist
(20 casts)
(40-44)

103.8 Magery, 122 Int (test settings mimic above, etc.)
(stopped at 10 casts, now assuming damage range is 4)
(45-49)

103.8 Magery, 110 Int
(actually took about 23 casts to finally get the 46 damage, discarded 3 dups)
(42-46)

103.8 Magery, 92 Int
(10 casts)
43,43,42,43,43,43,40,39,40,41 (took 12 casts to get 41 damage, discard 2 dups)

Using the above numbers and the following GUESS formula...

That formula works out for all of the tests I did above, it may not be exact and since test center isn't up I can't really check, but I think that's close enough to count, I used the *.4 (because another spell used 40% magery for the duration in the same circle and I figured it was a good place to start, plus I noticed the damages they listed, I bet if somebody has GM Magery/100 Int out there they'll get 40-44 points of damage instead of what they have listed on uo.com).

Hope that helps.
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif,
Rosencrantz = Bored at work

E

EliteXGamer

I was wandering if Eval or any other related skill even Magery effected the duration, stats, resistances, or skills of 8th circle summons. So i ran a test on Test Center.

After running these test I have come to learn that the magery skill level has no effect on the 8th circle summons what so ever, just your chance of successfully casting them.

Also I rant the test with eval in multiples of 10 points in eval skill each time versus 10 cast each time.

The answer is No. There is no change in any part of a summon.

So magery and eval have no effect in the duration, resistances, stats, or skills of the 8th circle summons.

G

Gamma Zulu

How to Get to 2 Mana/Second Passive Mana Recovery Rate

The introduction of the Age of Shadows added a new wrinkle into figuring out how to maximize your mage’s mana regeneration rate. It’s now possible to passively regain mana at 2 per second, which is as fast as the fastest possible passive mana regeneration rate prior to AoS.

I tried to break it down into some simple rules to follow so it’s easy to remember, rather than having to consult a table, or calculate a formula.

It is quite true that every 38 points of intelligence counts as a “mana regen” point (recognition goes to Natas/Steve and Bruin99 for figuring it out).

To figure out how many points you have toward mana regen, the following rules appear to apply:

1. Divide your intelligence by 38 and take the integer. (Cutoffs exist at 38, 76, 114.)
2. Divide your meditation skill by 10 points.
3. Divide your focus skill by 20 points.
4. Add up the total number of mana regen points you have in your armor.

Add all 4 numbers together.

It takes 21 points to get 2 mana/sec passive rate.

It takes 14 points to get 1.33 mana/sec passive rate.

Unfortunately there’s no steps in between that would give you 1.6 or 1.8 mana/sec. It’s either all or nothing. Going to 28 points does not appear to get you anything.

_______Examples___________

The classic test shard example that gets 2 mana/second is a character with 114 intelligence, 120 meditation, and 120 focus. In a test shard this is what you’ll have to go with since mana regeneration items are hard to find.

Some examples that I have tested on a production shard (Great Lakes), the +X number’s I’m talking about refer to the mana recovery armor requirements:

Med Warrior with 44 intelligence, 100 med, 100 focus (16 points total) needed +5 on his mage armor to regenerate mana at 2/second. When cursed below 38 intelligence, mana rate dropped to 1.33/sec.

Mule character with 86 intelligence, 80 med, 20 focus (11 points total) requires +10 mana regen on her armor to get to 2/second.

Tank mage with 85 intelligence, 115 med, 10 focus (14 points) required +7 to get to 2/second.

Pure mage with 120 med, 120 intelligence, 80 focus required +2.

Tamer mage with 100 int, 100 med, 0 focus required +8 to get to 2/second.

Pure mage with 110 med, 114 intelligence, 80 focus, required +3. When cursed below 114 intelligence, mana rate dropped to 1.33.

G

Gamma Zulu

This post deals with the formulas that calculate the spell damage for each of the attack spells. I generated the data so I could make an informed decision on whether I wanted to spend the gold for +20 eval, and whether or not I really wanted to add inscription back into my template.

I did this testing on test center. I started by saying that spell damage is probably a function of eval, magery, intelligence, and inscription. These are the four variables I considered.

I stripped the mage I was working with completely naked. Then started by varying each of my 4 variables, until I noted the 2 that made a difference. For the vast majority of spells, the damage is calculated off just the eval and inscription score. The only exception is mindblast, which calculates off the magery and intelligence score. Once I had the two variables that mattered, I varied them in a designed fashion so I could test for interactions. For each data point, I collected 20 damage results, and averaged the results, and I typically collected 15 data sets per spell. There were no interactions found between the variables. This means it’s a simple linear formula in each case with no cross multipliers or nonlinearities.

I then regressed the results using MiniTab, which is statistics software I use in my line of work.

It’s important to note that the damages noted are base damage. If you’re wearing armor, the damage will be reduced. If you have armor with 50% rating in that particular elemental resist, then the base damage is reduced 50%.

The output formulas are as follows:

Mindblast base damage = (Intelligence + Magery) / 5
Flamestrike base damage = 10 + 0.5xEval + 0.1xInscription
Ebolt base damage = 11.5 + 0.369xEval + 0.0586xInscription
Lightning base damage = 6.5 + 0.2243xEval + 0.025xInscription
Fireball base damage = 9.5 + 0.1629xEval + 0.05xInscription

I could have looked at harm, and magic arrow but I stopped there since I figured I had a pretty good idea what inscription did at this point.

My conclusions from this analysis are as follows:

1. The effect of adding 20 points of eval seems fairly large. It adds 10 points base damage to flamestrike, 7.3 base damage to ebolt, 4.5 points to lightning, and 3.2 to fireball. Whether the difference between 115 and 120 is worth it is up to you, since the formulas scale linearly.

2. The effect of inscription is nice, but debatable for how many points are involved. It seems to help fire-based spells a bit more for some odd reason. Going to GM inscription would add 10 points to flamestrike, 5.8 points to ebolt, 2.5 to lightning, and 5 to fireball.

S

seas

negative stat spell formula:

8 + eval/10 - resist/10 = percentage reduced

if a # is less than 2/3 it's always rounded down. that btw seems to apply to almost all uo calculations.

also, if you cast a small stat negating spells, and the stat reduction is less than 2/3, the spell will fizzle.

for positive stat spells it's

eval / 10 + 1 (round down) = percentage increase

how to raise stats: use arms lore. it's the only skill which you just need to use the skill button(and target any armour/weap) and gains any stat. all you need to do is lock the stats you don't want to gain in.

of note is that it seems like not one single 8x8:able skill now gives stat gains.

T

Taragon26

Tell me how to gain eval maybe /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Chandalir

Evaluate gain methods are already explained in the FAQ in pretty good detail -- and those methods still apply even after AoS.

S

Silent Death LSD

This is still in affect correct? I am just currious I had heard it was not but cannot find anything on this.

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;Publish 16 changes

Wrestling changes -- anatomy/eval formula
In the past serious mages have always wanted wrestling to prevent being hit in melee (since they have no weapon equipped when casting spells). When you dodge a hit, your spellcasting isn't interupted, thus its necessarry to kill anything that will melee you.

However, Publish 16 changed this a bit. It is now possible to dodge melee hits without having wrestling, but instead having anatomy and evaluate intelligence. The formula for defensive wrestling effects of the anatomy/evaluate relationship looks like this:

(Anatomy skill + Evaluate Intelligence skill + 20) divided by 2

What this means is, at 100.0 evaluate intelligence and 100.0 anatomy you have 110.0 effective defensive wrestling. It also means that you only need to boost one of the skills to 120.0 to receive the full 120.0 defensive wrestling.

Note : The Anatomy/Evaluate intelligence relation does not give you any effect whatsoever in offensive capabilities. Thus you will not be able to hit your opponent (wether to interupt or to start spellcasting) unless you get extremely lucky with your adjusted wrestling (around 10 points with high strength), and you will not be able to activate stun and disarm modes. If you wish either of these things (disruption/special moves) you're gonna have to pick up wrestling.

Another thing to note : wrestling and the eval/anatomy relationship is in no way cumulative. Do not pick up all 3 skills thinking you're gonna be impossible to hit. The only one you'll have in effect is the higher of the two.

Evocares quote on the subject on www.uo.com message board; unfortunally the original thread is lost, but what he stated was saved:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a quick note, the actual formula for "dodging" a swing with anat/eval is: (anat+eval+20)/2, capped at 120 max. So, a character with 120 eval, 100 anat (for example) actually has a full 120 "hit evasion" ability

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

C

Chandalir

Its still in effect -- as a matter of fact, I believe it was added specifically for AoS, but was put in a tad earlier to get people used to it.

G

I do believe one of the charts and explinations on the new Magic Resist as of publish 18 should be added to the FAQ. There are 3 posts on this subject anyone of them would be a great addition to the FAQ. I would say read all three if possible and choose the best and add it to the FAQ. I do believe it will be something people will be interested in knowing.

Silverdrake of Lake Superior, Husband of Davinia

S

seas

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

the )/2)*.4 part can be simpliefied to /5 /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

so then the mb formula would look like:

(magery + int ) / 5 + (0 to 4 points of damage) (rounding)