• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ok, a question came up in the Fishing Forum - of all places...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So there's a thread in the Fishing Forum regarding placing (locking down) items aboard a galleon, and we were discussing how many "tiles" an item took.​
My question there was:
how do you tell how many "tiles" an item takes.
This is what Irulia Darkaith said there:
Well my less than scientific way is to place something in my house and see how many tiles it takes up. *shrugs*
(and I'm asking it again here since I still don't understand and the odds of anyone seeing it in that Fishing thread are somewhat smaller than they are here) -

Well, that answer confused me even more (not that confusing me could be considered an accomplishment by any stretch of the imagination)... I mean, so I drop something on the floor in my house. How then am I to know how many "tiles" it is taking?

Really sorry to be so dense, but let me try to be clearer with a pic:

It has always just really "irked" me that chests refuse to drop on a neat floor square, and now I've proven that they "could" if the Dev's wanted them to... I mean, look at that chest that I copy/pasted in that sits perfectly on 1 square.... I know, I suppose I'm not considering the "z" axis or something, but sheesh... I mean should we really be forced to use "optical illusion" to just be neat and orderly?
God, I can't believe I said that.... I am NOT a neat freak, I swear... not really...

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I count the number of tiles it prevents me from walking through. Some of the items look like they occupy more than one tile, where as they actually do not, because of the 2d isometric view of UO. The metal and wooden chests are a good example.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I count the number of tiles it prevents me from walking through. Some of the items look like they occupy more than one tile, where as they actually do not, because of the 2d isometric view of UO. The metal and wooden chests are a good example.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Exactly...hopefully Barry's explanation makes more sense, but this is what I was trying to convey.

In your picture, you have the perfect floor tile for figuring stuff like this out, and yes, the yellow box is 1 tile. I think where you're getting confused is by the graphics. Items can have a very small footprint (meaning number of blocking tiles), while having a very large graphic. A classic example of this are the trees you place with tokens. I recently customized my house and wanted to put those trees everywhere, and was amazed how many I could fit into a small area. This is because the trunk only takes one tile, even though the trees foliage appears takes up a 3x3 spot (visually) but it doesn't block placement, therefore the item has a footprint of 1x1.

In your picture, I'm not sure what you mean by "chests can fit in one tile but they never do" They very much do take up one tile. Try the elven bookcase (think that's what it's called). It looks like it's 2x1 but you can actually walk through half of it because the graphic is bigger than the footprint. Therefore it's footprint is 1x1

Find a nice clear area, drop the item, then proceed to walk north into the item. If it blocks me then that's one tile. I then move over one tile to the east and try and walk north into the object again...if it blocks me then I know it's two tiles wide....etc, etc...then if I have to, I can face west, and try walking west into the object again to see how many times I'm blocked. When I'm done, I know how many tiles wide and deep the item's footprint..

I recently had to try this with one of the tailoring looms as it looks deceptively large but really it's only 2x1 (or 1x2 depending on which direction the loom is facing). So when I was customing my house I made sure to leave a alcove that was 2x1 to accomodate the loom.

If you're still unsure, I can show you in game, just send me a PM or ICQ me at 8249606 for a faster response, but I think Barry explained it quite well.

As an aside, I believe you could use gozas to figure out an item's size. Place one goza, raise it a few times, then try to place the addon on top. If it's a 2x1 object, it won't place because part of it's not supported. That would be about as scientic as you can get. I only tested this briefly, so don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

LadyElizabeth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think that part of her post was just a ramble about why the graphic is 2 tiles when the item is one, much like with Yew tables. I would love to use those tables in decorating, but since they're a 1x1 footprint they start to look weird if you try making long tables or putting anything next to it.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that part of her post was just a ramble about why the graphic is 2 tiles when the item is one, much like with Yew tables. I would love to use those tables in decorating, but since they're a 1x1 footprint they start to look weird if you try making long tables or putting anything next to it.
yep, my bad, I didn't even notice all the text below the picture.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all let me thank the 3 of you (ID, LE, and BG) for your welcome comments. At least now I have a "method" or 2 to determine an item's "footprint" as ID so appropriatly put it. I'll use the "see if you can walk thru part of it" to know how many tiles it takes, and experiment with the "single gaza" method too...

While I'm thinking about it, it would be really, really nice if EA could see fit to give us a list of all items (Stratics has a pretty good one already) that would simply include the number of tiles an item takes when placing/locking down ingame. I mean it's not like they don't already have that info readily at hand...

Just a thought....;)

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I might try to create a list, but it would take a lot of time and research.