• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oh the Economy...

R

redsimmy

I apologize if this is a topic that's been run to the ground but I wanted a place where I could easily see everyone's thoughts on this matter. Here's a few issues plaguing us:

*Payouts are extremely low.
*Lots are a ridiculous amount of money.
*Building costs are insane. (Have you seen the price of a single bank of snow?)
*Objects keep breaking and the repair costs are absurd.
*Skill time: You need high skill for better money... but skilling takes too long.

New players have it more difficult because they can't lock their skills high enough to benefit from them.

Top lots are extremely dependant on our tips... but it's a vicious circle because most can't afford to tip too much. Why?
Payouts are low.
Lots are a ridiculous amount of money... (etc etc)

But the game is better because there's CC now. Right??
As a long time player, I was excited over the addition of custom content. But the excitement turned to more frustration when I found what it costs to bring cc into the game.
This made me wonder how store owners can afford to create and upload custom content all day.

In my opinion, (and I'm able to have one... until EAL starts charging for it,) Economy problems are a result of the ATM. Face it, you just can't have much without it. And that's what they're relying on.

Since 'EA Land' is a simulation game, I suppose it's fitting that its economy is much like real life at the moment.
I wouldn't be surprised if the factory job starts laying people off.

Here's an idea: With so many people actually working their jobs these days, how about charging us gas money when our cars come to pick us up for work?

Please discuss, I'd love to know what you're thinking.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not, then I won't have a job, and I'll have to file for unemployment!

<blockquote><hr>

Here's an idea: With so many people actually working their jobs these days, how about charging us gas money when our cars come to pick us up for work?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the price of gas now days, we'd have to work overtime just to be able to afford to go to work!

S

smplyslpng

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems they already have. I coulda swore that when I first started the factory job we could have up to 6 people per factory. All day yesterday (ok for the few hrs in the morning we were up and running) factories I worked at were only allowing 4 people. Sounds like they laid off about 1/3 of the workforce!!

Just my observation. I think its humerous really but then I just play this game for fun. Although two days in a row of no simmies when I'm already gonna have to suffer a WEEK of no simmies next week, seems cruel. I know I know, Its not your fault I'm moving and wont be here next week, lol but please get this fix quickly! I'd greatly apprecaite it. No matter what happens, I'll see ya all after the move.

Have a g'day everyone!

G

"I wouldn't be surprised if the factory job starts laying people off."

If we all had a lot of money and was able to do or build what we wanted, I wouldn't mind the layoff. Cuz I play games to forget about work anyway.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Now wouldn't that be something to get a pop-up telling you that you've been laid off from your job!
I completely agree with your post....I'm only hoping that when the game comes out of beta that everything will become more balanced....who wants to play a game that is "too much" like real life?! Games are supposed to be fun and an escape from "real life" issues

I

imported_Gracie Nito

When jobs first arrived they tried to charge us for calling a cab. However, many people were getting errors and disconnected from jobs. The complaints started rolling in. Today there is still alot of problems getting to work in just one attempt. Anyone playing on dialup still rejoices in the ability to get to work on time some days. Many people don't even take their carpool or taxi to work, they just stalk their friends.

There were once plans to charge people to travel anywhere outside of their neighborhood. This was never implemented either.

You are right about one thing. The economy of this game has never worked. It has been the number one complaint since the original beta test. 5 years of discussions, alterations, and tweaking. We have had little input from developers as to economic plans for the game and currently many are experiencing the recession caused by all of the merges. I haven't given up hope yet, but I do know that this is a very big task. I believe any economy of virtual world is just as complicated as the real world. Whether or not developers can pull this one off is yet to be seen.

G

I'm sure they will balance out the pricing and economy to fit the current model, but tailoring an economy is different from the real world where it can evolve on its own. It takes alot of time and effort, and they have to see how we all react to the changes they make, such as lower payouts etc... They won't make us rely on ATMs alone, the game would die. Younger players would hardly ever use it, and older players for the most part don't want to spend hard earned cash on virtual cash that's going to be used up in a week anyway.

My take on things: My girlfriend and I are saving up 50000 to start our lot, and we have no intention of keeping it open all the time or trying to make the top lists. We're still going to work, and still going to do things like pizza and skill. Currently if you want your lot open all the time you either need rich roomies, or use of the ATM.

BUT, I fully believe this will all change and the ATM will simply be a way of getting big money fast. Jobs should be the top way of making money, then the games on money lots after that. I totally agree that its broken, but I don't agree with those that think it will remain this way. Its absurd to think that EA would purposely kill the game like that after reviving it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I apologize if this is a topic that's been run to the ground but I wanted a place where I could easily see everyone's thoughts on this matter. Here's a few issues plaguing us:

*Skill time: You need high skill for better money... but skilling takes too long.

New players have it more difficult because they can't lock their skills high enough to benefit from them.

Top lots are extremely dependant on our tips... but it's a vicious circle because most can't afford to tip too much. Why?
Payouts are low.

As a long time player, I was excited over the addition of custom content. But the excitement turned to more frustration when I found what it costs to bring cc into the game.
This made me wonder how store owners can afford to create and upload custom content all day.

In my opinion, (and I'm able to have one... until EAL starts charging for it,) Economy problems are a result of the ATM. Face it, you just can't have much without it. And that's what they're relying on.

Since 'EA Land' is a simulation game, I suppose it's fitting that its economy is much like real life at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as some people despise the ATM (buying simoleons) - it is not the problem.
The problem is the impending cash-out feature, wherein players will be able to sell any excess simoleons back to EA for RL money.
Because of (IMO) poor planning, enabling cash-out at this time would be finacially damaging to EA. So, they need to drain off as much game money as possible, and limit the payouts to prevent more hoarding.

The game money received from the ATM is not a problem, because it's presence in the game is offset by the RL cash received in payment. This is unlike the game money received from using a job object which is generated by the user with no direct compensation to EA. Ordinarily, a balance would be struck between cash-out and generated cash (in combination with "drains" and "faucets") that would allow the game to function normally (somewhat) while allowing some players (like cc creators) to earn a few bucks, and EA to earn a bit of profit.

The fly in the ointment seems to be the so-called "botters" who employ illegal (in a game sense) software to run simoleon generating sims around the clock, thus creating a huge influx of game money which could be 'cashed-out'.
The devs answer to this is to slash pay to the bone and raise prices on everything to the stratosphere. Much to the dismay of most players.
Will it work? Will it drive the 'botters' away'? Who knows - personally, I doubt it.
Despite their intentions, the result is, an initially enthusiastic player base that is turning more 'antagonistic' each day.

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Payouts are low.

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as some people despise the ATM (buying simoleons) - it is not the problem.
The problem is the impending cash-out feature, wherein players will be able to sell any excess simoleons back to EA for RL money.
Because of (IMO) poor planning, enabling cash-out at this time would be finacially damaging to EA. So, they need to drain off as much game money as possible, and limit the payouts to prevent more hoarding.

The game money received from the ATM is not a problem, because it's presence in the game is offset by the RL cash received in payment. This is unlike the game money received from using a job object which is generated by the user with no direct compensation to EA. Ordinarily, a balance would be struck between cash-out and generated cash (in combination with "drains" and "faucets") that would allow the game to function normally (somewhat) while allowing some players (like cc creators) to earn a few bucks, and EA to earn a bit of profit.

The fly in the ointment seems to be the so-called "botters" who employ illegal (in a game sense) software to run simoleon generating sims around the clock, thus creating a huge influx of game money which could be 'cashed-out'.
The devs answer to this is to slash pay to the bone and raise prices on everything to the stratosphere. Much to the dismay of most players.
Will it work? Will it drive the 'botters' away'? Who knows - personally, I doubt it.
Despite their intentions, the result is, an initially enthusiastic player base that is turning more 'antagonistic' each day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Donovan. You've hit the nail on the head. Why don't we just trash the cash-out feature. People aren't going to get rich off of it anyway and if it is making the payouts so low so people don't want to play there will be no reason for the cash-out feature anyway. I'm sure botters were annoying but when I played I enjoyed being able to purchase a lot and buy items very easily without the use of botters. I certainly may have bought **** on E*** but honestly it was so I could build and design my house. I'm not even sure I was ever even on a top 100 list (maybe a services lot before crafting was available). So the days of being able to buy a million is over but don't ruin the game now by making it so difficult to buy anything that people quit.

Botters will never go away and we have to face that. Design the game so the rewards aren't money related and you'll see people start to play again. Money is neccesary for this game but stop making it the sole purpose of the game and then you may see botters gravitate to another game.

C

CarlosN

If cash-out is causing the low payout problems...why not just not come out with that feature??

This is a game to have fun not to make a RL profit out of it. So they shouldnt come out with the cash-out feature but thats just my opinion

L

LiL MsBehavin

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as a Store Owner that wants to have nice CC to sell... its getting too expensive to upload, reorder and too expensive for people to purchase. I really would like to see a fee to upload, a smaller fee to reorder (we have to pay the same to upload it and reorder). So that way our customers can have CC on their lots.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If cash-out is causing the low payout problems...why not just not come out with that feature??

This is a game to have fun not to make a RL profit out of it. So they shouldnt come out with the cash-out feature but thats just my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]
Cash-out is a "cash-cow" for other on-line games, and EA wants a piece of it.
The "fun" aspect is for players - but for EA, the motivation is profit (they *are* a business after all).
They see great potential in cash-in/cash-out and will ride that pony til it drops. In other words - kill cash-in/cash-out and we kill the game (unless a viable substitute is found).
I agree with most that blind dedication to this goal is going to be the downfall of the game - but there is nothing we can do about it - only the devs can clean up this mess.

I

imported_CherryBomb

:) Some people are starting to realize the implications of cash-out. Payouts are still nowhere near low enough to enable this yet, so be prepared for further cuts, y'all. I figure they are boiling us like lobsters: turning up the temperature slowly so we won't jump out of the pot.

CherryBomb