• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oh dear...The new start up screen- Dino land for under 5s??

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seroiusly iam not digging the new start screen

Is the game being aimed at under 5s ...dino land for toddlers??

just saying...

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have to remember that UO do not do PR, good advertising or any form of good communication as a whole.
do you all remember that pathetic vid they did with some blacksmith thing...

I'm surprised they didn't use Ms paint for that splash screen.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is really really poor. Makes you wonder who signed this off. Completely lacking in class and portrays the game as childish cartoony nonesense.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question is......
Since where does dino's fit into Ultima lore?
Did we run through the space time continuum?
Did Lord British meet up with Marty McFly? *looks for Delorian parked in stables*
Have they traveled through some other dimension and and forgot to mention it to the passengers?
I realize that there was a rift in the game but back to the stone age?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
makes u wanna give that big turtle cuddly toy a big hug....jesus...im feel ashamed to start the game up...best make sure nobody is around first...

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yeah, this is why I been gettin' all them invitations to play Candy Crush and New Earth and Farmville......................someone's been watching me sign in.........................I know they're popular games but geez folks, we ain't that!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was startled by the new screen, too, at first, but quickly adapted... since I do play... rarely, of course.... but yes, I must confess... *cough*... once in a great while I do enjoy visiting Neopets. :blushing:

I blame my grandchildren. It's all their fault.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question is......
Since where does dino's fit into Ultima lore?
Did we run through the space time continuum?
Did Lord British meet up with Marty McFly? *looks for Delorian parked in stables*
Have they traveled through some other dimension and and forgot to mention it to the passengers?
I realize that there was a rift in the game but back to the stone age?
considering the global events of the last 5 months lead up to the creation of a "time gate" and the ultima online lore of the last couple years has been involving the Time Lord, id say... yes?

So in that immediate sense, yes time travel does fit very well into the current lore of Ultima Online

If your speaking only of the ultima series, the whole expansion was based off "The Savage Empire" ultima game.

As for the new splash screen, yeah it looks anime-ish and rather lacking in big breasted women. They should have just re-used the original 1990 one.

worlds of ultima.png

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...If your speaking only of the ultima series, the whole expansion was based off "The Savage Empire" ultima game.

As for the new splash screen, yeah it looks anime-ish and rather lacking in big breasted women. They should have just re-used the original 1990 one.

View attachment 37395
The new screen does grow on you after a while. And it's much nicer than the 1990 one.

I think we all need a hug today. :grouphug:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i understand the intent is to promote the features of the latest expansion but i am not a fan of the new splashscreen. my first reaction was 'omg! it's the TV show "Land of the Lost".' i agree the art work is too cartoonish. mostly i don't think it depicts UO as a whole.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ugh. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Definitely Saturday morning cartoonish.

High Seas was better, but even that had drawbacks. I think of swords and dragons when I think of UO, not cuddly smurphdragons.

Reactions: THP

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I kind of miss this one:

Agreed!

I didn't post, but when I first saw it I really did wonder if it was being marketed for children, too. It put my friend off a bit as well; when I loaded the game I got a really funny look, not that I cared.
I try to picture the same style artwork on other games, like Assassin's Creed, or Skyrim and I just can't do it.

Cheers

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
But lets say, the kids want to play and their parents are helping them, we may get to make some of the parent play and stay with us.

Sunseri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would like to see some art work by those that are criticizing what Broadsword has done. Isn't it always the same in every business? The 'customer' (that's us) always assumes that they can do the job better than the ones that actually do it. Seriously people, if you don't like what Broadsword has produced, show us that your product is of a better design.

/rant

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would like to see some art work by those that are criticizing what Broadsword has done. Isn't it always the same in every business? The 'customer' (that's us) always assumes that they can do the job better than the ones that actually do it. Seriously people, if you don't like what Broadsword has produced, show us that your product is of a better design.

/rant
I'm not feeling critical. Just somewhat amused by the cuteness of it in relation to the average age of the player base. :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm not feeling critical. Just somewhat amused by the cuteness of it in relation to the average age of the player base. :)
The average age is a big problem, we are getting old, at least on Siege, I fear our average age are 40+, I know lots of grand parents.
If this screen can make the parents look at the game, when helping their kids finding games to play it could help us get new players.
We need to catch players, who like us will see UO as a second world they can live in and make friends from all over the world.
The young guys, who jump from game to game, is not the ones we need, we need to find the ones, who will love to build/join communities in UO, maybe playing with their kids.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

/rant
A nonsensical rant. I dont profess to be able to do a better job on the artwork as Im not a professional graphics artist. Instead of showing you that my product (which I dont have) is better than Broadswords efforts, how about I show you artwork from other professional graphics artists whose work is many many more times superior to this cartoony crap that Broadsword have inflicted on the game. There are thousands of examples.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
uo power rangers:
i wanna be the blue ranger! I wanna be the yellow ranger! I wanna be the girl ranger!

teradactyl!
tyrannasauras!
sabretoofh tiguhr!

together we form the turtledragon!
rangers! lets go!

yah!!!

I agree with most of the posts above. it made me feel a little embarrassed when someone asked me do I still play uo after seeing this
*hangs head low*

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...I agree with most of the posts above. it made me feel a little embarrassed when someone asked me do I still play uo after seeing this
*hangs head low*
Understood. But I'd like to offer something on a positive note. Although the art may not be a good fit for UO, I think the art by itself is very good, and any criticism of the artist who rendered it would be very unfair.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Just not really down with a giant turtle ruling the lands. lol A T Rex and such would be cool if your gonna go that route. But everyone likes dinosaurs in general.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Understood. But I'd like to offer something on a positive note. Although the art may not be a good fit for UO, I think the art by itself is very good, and any criticism of the artist who rendered it would be very unfair.
Well we certainly wouldn't want to be unfair when there's the opportunity to hammer on someone ;)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Complaints complaints..... all you ever do is complain about this or that... It's too dumb, i'm bored, when is it done yet???
Now that you got the game published and set to go world wide with i might add fewer that normal bugs...
your pancakes about the log in????
Forgive my french but your all @#*#$@ 2 year olds who need a nappy change!
That original cover art for the game shown did have its detractors in that the women were showing too much "bust" and it looked too much like a Harry Housen Film poster. *not sure if i got his name right*
Look we need players...that said.. does it matter if it drags in the younger croud?
We who are here for 18 years + should know we are not getting any younger. Nearly 20 years have passed..... many have gone on to the happy hunting grounds in the great beyond never to play in our world again.
We need new players plain and simple. If the art brings in new "younger" players be happy.
Like my old hunting partner use to say "ooo fresh blood" *he played a vampire in rp...*
For those of you who dabble in the UO copy worlds.... spred the word of the publish and invite them back ......to the real thing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Complaints complaints..... all you ever do is complain about this or that... It's too dumb, i'm bored, when is it done yet???
Now that you got the game published and set to go world wide with i might add fewer that normal bugs...
your pancakes about the log in????
Forgive my french but your all @#*#$@ 2 year olds who need a nappy change!
That original cover art for the game shown did have its detractors in that the women were showing too much "bust" and it looked too much like a Harry Housen Film poster. *not sure if i got his name right*
Look we need players...that said.. does it matter if it drags in the younger croud?
We who are here for 18 years + should know we are not getting any younger. Nearly 20 years have passed..... many have gone on to the happy hunting grounds in the great beyond never to play in our world again.
We need new players plain and simple. If the art brings in new "younger" players be happy.
Like my old hunting partner use to say "ooo fresh blood" *he played a vampire in rp...*
For those of you who dabble in the UO copy worlds.... spred the word of the publish and invite them back ......to the real thing.
It's a tradition :D

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i know UO is basically a collectors game now... maybe that wahy they gone the manga japanese style... jesus were be collecting cards next like pokemon..... doies look very very pokemon....oh jesus.... uo- pokemon edition- u gotta collect them all!!....oh wait... i think we are collecting cards or book etc etc in this new expansion....okies i give in......

gives the big cuddly turtle dinosair a hug again.... im gonna call u fluffy

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atleast make the dino's and the tigers fight each other. They would NOT all be stood there happily looking at "us". They are beasts of instinct and would be ripping 5 shades oh hell out of each other. The champ spawn OK, you could have that being ignored by the little mobs as they would not be that daft as to attack it without mass numbers advantage......but they don't have pack instinct...

Oh and Blood!!!, teeth!!! the basics you know.....not this pokamon rubbish, i'm expecting the camera to rotate round and see that prat Ashe in his red cap.......

Sunseri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
that would be 100000% better indeed..im guessing WOW??
I don't think it's World of Warcraft. If it is, it's not a boss or mob I have ever seen. I simply google searched 'dragon turtle' and found that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think it's World of Warcraft. If it is, it's not a boss or mob I have ever seen. I simply google searched 'dragon turtle' and found that.
Far better art... *sighs*

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my own grand daughter was intrigued with the teletubbies graphic too... so maybe there ainming fir the under 5s after all she wanted to collect them all

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definitely going to want a rifle to deal with those dinosaurs.