• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Odd behavior, possibly a recent taming bug, not sure

• Thread starter imported_revenant2
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_revenant2

I was out taming ridgebacks for taming gain, and noted that this one ridgeback would simply not tame, after over 30 attempts. Other ridgebacks were taming within, say, 5 attempts or so.

I experimentally removed my Taming talisman, dropping my taming skill to 86.3 and attempted a tame. I saw the message "This animal has had too many owners and is too upset for you to tame".

But when I put the talisman back on, putting my taming up to 91.3, this message does not appear, and the animal simply fails the tame attempt.

I'm thinking that perhaps this is a bug, and the "too many owners" should be displaying when I have the talisman on, but is not.

G

The ridgeback in question had been tamed and released by someone prior to you trying an attempt. Every time an animal is tamed and released it takes an extra 6 points of taming skill to tame it the next time and I believe a tameable creature can only be tamed and released 4 times before it cannot be tamed again.

I

imported_revenant2

Okay.

In that event, it might be more intuitive to get a "you have no chance at taming that creature" message than the one related to too many owners.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Okay.

In that event, it might be more intuitive to get a "you have no chance at taming that creature" message than the one related to too many owners.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The too many owners message let's you know that the creature has been tamed and released.

G

There's really no definite max on how many times a creature can be tamed and released. So theoretically, you can have a bull tamed and released seven times, and a legendary tamer could eventually tame it. But if it's been tamed nine times, even a legendary tamer cannot tame it since the taming requirement is 125.1. Rabbits, on the other hand, can be tamed and released many more times than bulls because of their low initial taming requirement. Basically, the new taming requirement of the pretame just needs to be beyond the skill level of any tamer for it to become untamable.

L

Lady Kiara

If it has been tamed to may times just kill it there for you don't have to run into it any more.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'm thinking that perhaps this is a bug, and the "too many owners" should be displaying when I have the talisman on, but is not.

[/ QUOTE ]A fresh ridgeback would have a minimum, taming requirement of 83.1. After a ridgeback has been tamed once it would have a minimum taming requirement of around 87.9, if I remember correctly. So, with your talisman you do have a very small chance of taming the ridgeback.

I

imported_revenant2

<blockquote><hr>

There's really no definite max on how many times a creature can be tamed and released. So theoretically, you can have a bull tamed and released seven times, and a legendary tamer could eventually tame it. But if it's been tamed nine times, even a legendary tamer cannot tame it since the taming requirement is 125.1. Rabbits, on the other hand, can be tamed and released many more times than bulls because of their low initial taming requirement. Basically, the new taming requirement of the pretame just needs to be beyond the skill level of any tamer for it to become untamable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is really how it works, that's interesting, and I sure wasn't aware of this.

It could be that the information expressed in the too-many-owners message is more absolute-sounding than the situation calls for. Or maybe not =p.

G

Are you positive on that? Because pre publish 16, there was a hard cap of 5 owners on a taming attempt. Even a low level creature like a horse could only be tamed 5x. Its been a long time, but I remember something about 5.

G

I remember when I was in the 90s taming with my first tamer, well over five years ago, but a little after AoS. People were still crazy about bulls and pretamed bulls in Delucia back then in my shard, and I remember a couple of bulls being tamed a lot. There was a certain time when I was a little past GM taming when I saw a bull pretamed five times, and it took me about an hour to tame the bugger. At the time I didn't care about the rate at which I was gaining taming because I still found it fun, plus I was curious if I can tame a bull pretamed that many times. But I was able to tame it again, stuck the letters FB at the end, and released it. However, I'm pretty sure the next person just killed it because the new taming requirement was way up there.

I remember that for some reason because I thought it was an interesting accomplishment... you know, taming a bull that had already been tamed five times. Plus, I got a taming gain. Unfortunately, I just don't have that patience anymore.

I don't see creatures that have been tamed more than five times anymore, so that's one of the best evidence I can give ya.

In any case, certain creatures can definitely be tamed multiple times, sometimes much more than five. Creatures with high taming requirements can only be tamed a few times.

And yes, I'm positive.