• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Oblivion's Event Discussion from the Acropolis Auction Thread (Moved by Moderator)

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
@Captn Norrington @Dryzzid of Atlantic

Hello everyone,

To welcome my return, and in preparation for some exciting things to come (more about my return here) - I am hosting a fun event at the conclusion of each Acropolis Auction.

The event is called "Finders Keepers" - a fun way to walk away with a prize each week - no obligations or purchases necessary - just show up and join the fun!

The mechanics of the event are simple - and any character or template can participate. (However, the ability to recall or slay monsters will likely give you an advantage!)
  • At the conclusion of each auction, I will provide all attendees with clue(s) that will lead to a particular Trammel rule set location (I.E - city/dungeon/etc.) - you must be at the auction house to get the info!
  • Your goal is to find a hidden book entitled "Finders Keepers" somewhere in the given location
  • There is only one book - so the first person to find it is the one to keep the prize!
  • Return the book to me to claim your prize! (There is a unique serial number for each week to verify...so don't try to cheat) :D
The event duration is a maximum of one hour. If the book is not found within the allotted time frame - the current prize will be added to next week's prize pool.

This week's prize: 50 million gold

Looking forward to some fun.

-Oblivion

1600643141992.png

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Hello everyone,

To welcome my return, and in preparation for some exciting things to come (more about my return here) - I am hosting a fun event at the conclusion of each auction.

The event is called "Finders Keepers" - a fun way to walk away with a prize each week - no obligations or purchases necessary - just show up and join the fun!

The mechanics of the event are simple - and any character or template can participate. (However, the ability to recall or slay monsters will likely give you an advantage!)
  • At the conclusion of each auction, I will provide all attendees with clue(s) that will lead to a particular Trammel rule set location (I.E - city/dungeon/etc.) - you must be at the auction house to get the info!
  • Your goal is to find a hidden book entitled "Finders Keepers" somewhere in the given location
  • There is only one book - so the first person to find it is the one to keep the prize!
  • Return the book to me to claim your prize! (There is a unique serial number for each week to verify...so don't try to cheat) :D
The event duration is a maximum of one hour. If the book is not found within the allotted time frame - the current prize will be added to next week's prize pool.

This week's prize: 50 million gold

Looking forward to some fun.

-Oblivion

View attachment 112106
Soooo as someone who openly cons others, participates in the theft of rares from Rares Fest from those who entrusted their items with another individual, and as someone who not only profited from the loss of others but brags about it at the same time, you are promoting an "event" at an in-game auction house? It's as if history is repeating itself. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Does anyone else remember the Pacific Rares Festival Auction with Tetricyde?

You guys can't be promoting this? Right?

I have to agree with @Lord Nabin from the UNLEASHED forum on this one. I can have respect for a classic "Thief" playstyle in-game. I can't have respect for someone who openly cons and cheats people under the disguise of a "thief' playstyle. Either which way, you have a history of scamming and conning people out of gold over the years and as someone who has been on the other end of that ugly stick, as a Rares Fest host, collector and a player, I certainly don't welcome the news of your contribution at the end of any player event. It's a recipe for disaster.

The tactics used by yourself and others like yourself has caused irreparable damage to so many communities. It's laughable that a 50M reward a week is a respectable substitute for such damage. I certainly do not welcome this news.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Soooo as someone who openly cons others, participates in the theft of rares from Rares Fest from those who entrusted their items with another individual, and as someone who not only profited from the loss of others but brags about it at the same time, you are promoting an "event" at an in-game auction house? It's as if history is repeating itself. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Does anyone else remember the Pacific Rares Festival Auction with Tetricyde?

You guys can't be promoting this? Right?

I have to agree with @Lord Nabin from the UNLEASHED forum on this one. I can have respect for a classic "Thief" playstyle in-game. I can't have respect for someone who openly cons and cheats people under the disguise of a "thief' playstyle. Either which way, you have a history of scamming and conning people out of gold over the years and as someone who has been on the other end of that ugly stick, as a Rares Fest host, collector and a player, I certainly don't welcome the news of your contribution at the end of any player event. It's a recipe for disaster.

The tactics used by yourself and others like yourself has caused irreparable damage to so many communities. It's laughable that a 50M reward a week is a respectable substitute for such damage. I certainly do not welcome this news.
Neither Dryzzid or I am promoting it, nor is it directly associated with the auction. However, I can't really do anything about him running his own event after the auction. He did ask me permission to post that in this thread and I had no issue with him posting, since welcoming community interaction seems better than going out of my way to sabotage a possibly fun community event. I genuinely can't see any possible way for him to steal from people by doing this. He's literally giving away his own stuff for free, and even if the event is fake and he doesn't pay the prize as promised, people lose nothing but an hour of their time at most. He's not going to be friended to the auction house or given access to anything in the auction house obviously, so I don't really see a negative to this, it just provides people with another hour of entertainment afterwards with no risk to anyone. If the events gradually turn more risky, then it could of course become problematic, but people would have to decide for themselves how much risk they're willing to take. For now his event seems completely risk-free.

I've always condemned his rares festival and auction robberies, but those were also 5-10+ years ago, and UO is filled with shady people who turned legitimate over the years. We all know that at least half of the rares community were involved in some level of thievery/scamming/duping/dishonesty at some point in their UO history, yet now we trust them with billions without a second thought. If he wants to play more legitimately now that he's back, he has to start somewhere right, and at least he's using his real name instead of making a new character and hiding his past like so many others have. That's my view on it at least.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Neither Dryzzid or I am promoting it, nor is it directly associated with the auction. However, I can't really do anything about him running his own event after the auction. He did ask me permission to post that in this thread and I had no issue with him posting, since welcoming community interaction seems better than going out of my way to sabotage a possibly fun community event. I genuinely can't see any possible way for him to steal from people by doing this. He's literally giving away his own stuff for free, and even if the event is fake and he doesn't pay the prize as promised, people lose nothing but an hour of their time at most. He's not going to be friended to the auction house or given access to anything in the auction house obviously, so I don't really see a negative to this, it just provides people with another hour of entertainment afterwards with no risk to anyone. If the events gradually turn more risky, then it could of course become problematic, but people would have to decide for themselves how much risk they're willing to take. For now his event seems completely risk-free.

I've always condemned his rares festival and auction robberies, but those were also 5-10+ years ago, and UO is filled with shady people who turned legitimate over the years. We all know that at least half of the rares community were involved in some level of thievery/scamming/duping/dishonesty at some point in their UO history, yet now we trust them with billions without a second thought. If he wants to play more legitimately now that he's back, he has to start somewhere right, and at least he's using his real name instead of making a new character and hiding his past like so many others have. That's my view on it at least.
I believe a good place to start when discussing the opportunity to assimilate or gain trust legitimately would be to return each scammed and conned item that he participated in taking from so many that were harmed throughout this community and others.

I am glad that his participation has nothing to do with the auction itself, because well, regardless of what is perceived at face value, someone with THAT MUCH baggage can never be trusted when they purposefully and intentionally took every opportunity to harm a community than to build it up. That is why this "event" even if it is a legitimate one, is laughable at best, and offensive at worst because it wouldn't even come close to healing wounds done to this community and more. I believe in redemption. This is not redemption. 50M a week doesn't come close to the many billions profited from the many scams.

I am relieved he has nothing to do with the auction house. I am disappointed that his actions, while rebuked, may never be held accountable. I know there are limits to what one can do in a circumstance by this and I know that my opinion has little to no value. But as someone who was there the many times that this individual took every opportunity to harm this community, I do not welcome the news that he now has a "sudden" change of heart to now help it. A lot will have to be proven for me to climb aboard this train.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
@Captn Norrington @Alexander of ATL.

Thanks for comments and opinions. Just to be clear - these events are happening and it is your decision to engage if you want. If I can pull off any sort of steal in a Trammel rule set when giving away my own money - that would be rather impressive.

Instead of polluting this thread with opinions and tossing around terms loosely like "scam" - why not direct them to the two posts that I openly put in both Uhall and Unleashed. People can say whatever they want there openly. I clearly outline my interaction with you @Alexander of ATL. - not my fault that you weren't more cautious. You should thank me for a lesson learned - because as with most - people typically don't make the same mistake again. Many have also thanked me openly for it. It's a tough world out there - in game and out. I've also provided direct facts about what people perceive is how I damaged the community. (I.E - Pacific Rare Fest which happened 10 years ago) I set the story straight with the facts and entirely happy to answer any questions. The "community" was foolish enough to appoint a known thief for a rare auction - who wasn't me. Just because I reaped the benefits indirectly isn't the issue.

Everyone talks about "community" here - so easy to point and blame a thief and use these terms. People can make their own opinions with the actual truth, not your interpretation of it. People can choose to participate and not - it is up to your own discretion. If people want to hold grudges and assume - I can't stop them. But you can't also stop me either. This "clique" of rare collectors is only a small portion of an entire player base. And let me tell you know - I am far more tame in comparison to many of you. I know way more than I should about most of the people that are notable. You call me a "scammer" - you should take a hard look at this community and see who the real scammers are.

At least I put it all out there in the open - while many just hide in the shadows and pretend to be noble. :D

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

People can say whatever they want there openly. I clearly outline my interaction with you [USER=158117]@Alexander of ATL.
- not my fault that you weren't more cautious. You should thank me for a lesson learned - because as with most - people typically don't make the same mistake again. Many have also thanked me openly for it. It's a tough world out there - in game and out. I've also provided direct facts about what people perceive is how I damaged the community. (I.E - Pacific Rare Fest which happened 10 years ago) I set the story straight with the facts and entirely happy to answer any questions. The "community" was foolish enough to appoint a known thief for a rare auction - who wasn't me. Just because I reaped the benefits indirectly isn't the issue.
Taking the opportunity to scam/steal/take from others is an easier route than to inform and create change by the information you possess. The opportunity arose for you to take advantage of a con that another was facilitating, which doesn't make you any better. In fact, one can argue that it makes you worse. Instead of alerting those who could have prevented that theft, you sat by and waited for the opportunity to reap some of the stolen and scammed items. You then argue that the Rares Festival hosts were "foolish" to trust a known thief. Is that not what you are asking us to do now? Different circumstances; same game.

I am well aware of what shady histories plague what communities and when that moment comes that those individuals feel they are free from certain accountability, then rest assured my opinion will be voiced. Also, much more than the rares community was harmed, might I add. I default to this one because this is in the Rares Collector forum. Nonetheless, you disguise your past with the sudden want and need to now be a part of a community, regardless of what community that is. That's the point. You took every opportunity to harm a community than to build one up. Why is this different? It's not.

I know I am on the border of either taking an action point or a post being deleted because this is the wrong forum. I've said my piece. I have my opinions. I will leave it at that

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Alexander of ATL.

I can only really echo what the Cap said. I'm just finding out about this. I wasn't actively playing during the time period those events occurred, I have no knowledge of them, and I don't know Oblivion other than having been to what I assume are his houses in Fel. The only "sponsored" events and/or "official" announcements will come from me (if North Harbor related) or the Cap (if Acropolis related) - and like he said, we can't really stop someone from running an event after the auction.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
All good points friends.

Oblivion's first step is always "gain trust"

A few hundred million expense leading to a few billion score is nothing. Its an efficient cost of doing business.

What we are seeing here is an effort to establish trust with the community.

Know the history, see the lack of regret or accountability, and be free to engage as you wish.

*taps the empty glass and orders another flagon of good old Moonglow red from the tavern keeper*

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Taking the opportunity to scam/steal/take from others is an easier route than to inform and create change by the information you possess. The opportunity arose for you to take advantage of a con that another was facilitating, which doesn't make you any better. In fact, one can argue that it makes you worse. Instead of alerting those who could have prevented that theft, you sat by and waited for the opportunity to reap some of the stolen and scammed items. You then argue that the Rares Festival hosts were "foolish" to trust a known thief. Is that not what you are asking us to do now? Different circumstances; same game.

I am well aware of what shady histories plague what communities and when that moment comes that those individuals feel they are free from certain accountability, then rest assured my opinion will be voiced. Also, much more than the rares community was harmed, might I add. I default to this one because this is in the Rares Collector forum. Nonetheless, you disguise your past with the sudden want and need to now be a part of a community, regardless of what community that is. That's the point. You took every opportunity to harm a community than to build one up. Why is this different? It's not.

I know I am on the border of either taking an action point or a post being deleted because this is the wrong forum. I've said my piece. I have my opinions. I will leave it at that
@Alexander of ATL.

Yet again - take this to Unleashed and let's have some fun....but let me end the last of my comments here and put this to bed before I actually head to bed. :)
  • Why would a thief that wants to score a mark decide to alert anyone and prevent a theft? Seems counterintuitive to the life style. Sorry if you don't like to answer.
  • I'm not asking anyone to trust me. I clearly stated in my "more about my return here" thread that I'm looking to bring back the thief in a fun way....try reading. :)
  • If you are so well aware of the shady histories of this rare "community", doesn't it seem pretty hypocritical to continue to defend such a nefarious community? Says a lot about you, and the community, to continue to defend the overall existence of something that is very tainted
  • I'm not disguising anything - in fact I gave plenty of opportunity with my Q&A thread to open the door with communication and being transparent on who I am
  • I'm not looking to be apart of this community until it actually becomes better - I clearly just advertised my upcoming event
  • Yet again - you seem to assume the my actions of a thief are with the intent to harm - i've already stated my motive. (Yet again - read) If it makes it easier for you to assume my intentions - go for it.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
All good points friends.

Oblivion's first step is always "gain trust"

A few hundred million expense leading to a few billion score is nothing. Its an efficient cost of doing business.

What we are seeing here is an effort to establish trust with the community.

Know the history, see the lack of regret or accountability, and be free to engage as you wish.

*taps the empty glass and orders another flagon of good old Moonglow red from the tavern keeper*
@Lord Nabin

Even in this instance - i'm not looking for trust from this community. People should learn to exercise their own discretion - not just with me, but within the community itself. Easy to label the thief, much harder to pinpoint those that pose a reputable rare collectors. Am I right?

People should read the threads i've already posted. Quite simply put - i'm looking to put on some events to help bring life back to thief. Choose to engage as you must. This stretches far past this "community" - if you can even call it as such. I simply found an opportunity to market it to an audience that may find an interest....considering most of you collectors only care about trying to get the most gold any way possible. :)

And you call me the thief. LOLOLOL.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Oh I didn't call you a thief very much the opposite.

You made the bed friend with your actions, sorry if you felt you'd arrive to a warm response. You can try and deflect all you want but in the end your still going to live with and be responsible for the consequences.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Oh I didn't call you a thief very much the opposite.

You made the bed friend with your actions, sorry if you felt you'd arrive to a warm response. You can try and deflect all you want but in the end your still going to live with and be responsible for the consequences.
Why don't you bring this to the Unleashed thread? Believe me - the response of two irrelevant "collectors" doesn't concern me much. I feel as anytime I bring up the corruption in this community, it is very easy for you and others to deflect. I've been playing this role for two decades and haven't had trouble sleeping at night and haven't seen those "consequences" you speak of.

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about playing a thief in a game. Just saying. :)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh . again. Here is an opinion from a player who collects a few em toys. I was at the Pac fest. I saw you, I heard you. You do not play a thief in UO, you are a thief in every world there is. It suits you.
So anyone who has even one tiny thought of getting involved with this full time thief. Don't. Oh, I remember the tower where you locked some of your stolen items on the steps. How proud you were. Dude...

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Ugh . again. Here is an opinion from a player who collects a few em toys. I was at the Pac fest. I saw you, I heard you. You do not play a thief in UO, you are a thief in every world there is. It suits you.
So anyone who has even one tiny thought of getting involved with this full time thief. Don't. Oh, I remember the tower where you locked some of your stolen items on the steps. How proud you were. Dude...
Another person who doesn’t know what they are talking about. Clearly you didn’t hear me at the Pacific Rare Fest as I was a ghost. You’re referring to Tetricyde. Same with the tower. All my rares have been in the same museum, and I’ve never owned a tower. :)

Clearly you haven’t seen my museum either - there is more than a couple. It would likely make you cry.

Maybe get the facts first and stop making assumptions about something you know very little about. ;)

And that said, you know nothing about me outside of this game. You can have your opinions, but they are ignorant. Easy to make personal claims about someone based on character in a game. :)

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Congratulations to Slade - this week's winner of FINDERS KEEPERS!

This week was a quick one (have to start it off easy) - let's see what next week's challenge will bring.

Clue: Don't get lost in Relvinian's creation! :)
Prize: 50 million gold!

1600738311999.png

1600738376726.png