• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nu'Sair's Sampire 101

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been a while since I contributed to the community in this way and felt it was time for something. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but just didn't have time. I really don't have the time now, but going to do it anyway. Please note, these are mostly just my opinions, the way I look at things. Other people will assuredly have differing views.

The basic sampire is a character that does a lot of damage and uses Vampiric Embrace to leach back enough life to heal any damage taken. Really, when you get down to it, Vampiric Embrace is the engine that makes a sampire go. And since the amount of life you leach back is based off how much damage you do, then you want to do as much damage as possible. So, getting to the 300% damage cap is important.

Skills for a sampire. A lot of people seem to ask this. Really, the base sampire you need:
Necromancy (99)
Weapon Skill (120)
Tactics (120) (access to special moves on weapons)
Bushido (120) (honor, additional damage on whirlwind attacks)

The rest is so interchangeable, it is truly a remarkable template and really depends on a personal play style. But, you want the rest of the skills to add up to 300 points in Special Move skills, these are:

That list was taken from UOGuide here: Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

So, if you have 120 weapon and 120 Bushido, you only need 60 points in another skill. Parry is the most popular one, but I've seen people make use of Ninjitsu.

A note on Chivalry. You don't HAVE to have Chivalry. With 100% elemental weapons by far easier to come by than ever before. You can reach the damage cap without it and the things you use Chivalry for you can make up in other ways. 100% elemental weapons, potions, rune books.

My current top sampire doesn't run chivalry (120 Fencing, Anatomy, Tactics, Bushido, Parry, 99 Necromancy, 21 Focus).

People will say this or that sampire build is better. I'll say this- as long as your sampire does what you want it to, does it matter?

IMO the Leafblade is the best weapon for a sampire. And Kamas are underrated Whirlwind Weapons- because honestly, most of your damage from WW comes from Bushido and Area Effects going off. Example- I stand near the alter on the Rikktor spawn when level 4 hits and have more than just a few dragons (and paragon dragons) on me and live though it.

I prefer running 100+ anatomy/tactics with 120 Bushido and 100+ parry because I love evasion and the 2 second bonus from anatomy/tactics is sweet.

If you are concerned with the 'best', then you want to use potions. Get EP on your jewelry and run strength/agility potions. This will allow you to put a good bit more points in to your intel stat and therefor mana. There is no getting around it, using potions >>> not using potions. You will be just fine not running them, but, if you are obsessed with the best....

For most things outside of Boss type of high level creatures, I use a shield on my swords sampire. It's a nice advantage and that low level stuff probably isn't going to kill you anyway.

The extras:
1. Scroll up necromancy to 120. Skill it up to only 99. I carry a set of jewelry with me. +11 Necromancy, +15 Chivalry, 18 LRC, +13 Focus (I think that's it). Also a set of Arcane Boots and a mana phasing orb (orb allows you to cast Vampiric Embrace quicker).

2. If you have Chivalry, the +30 points of Chivalry from the rings will allow you to res people. This is not something to be overlooked.

3. When farming Medusa, keep her blood. Her blood can be made in to a potion to res your pet. You have to wait for the corpse of your pet to decay before you can use it on them though... so...

4. Keep a spare swampy in the stables and a pet summoning ball to call it if needed.

5. There is no reason to make a male sampire. Because of this, I ended up making a 2nd sampire. Unless you just plan to never kill Semidar.

6. Spend 20-30 minutes in Fan Dancer Dojo to get Knight of Honor. The amazingness of Monster Ignore cannot be overstated. You can activate it, get in kill something and get out at the higher levels of this.

7. Set up the maco in UO: Select Nearest- Hostile , Attack Selected Target

I am sure there is more and this isn't meant to be a complete run down on sampires, but just more my thoughts and random stuff. Feel free to ask questions and i'll answer the best I can.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That covers the basics. If damage output is key I'd argue the hatchet with lumberjacking is the best bang for the buck. With armor ignore and everything else maxed out from memory my max hit was 222 I think. I've tried broadswords, longswords, leafblades and always come back to my hatchet / lumberjack template.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NuSair, This is great information and really informative. An area that is not clear to me, is what special moves/spells are used and in which order. I have Chivalry and Bushido and it is not clear if I should use Confidence in addition to Honor, Lighting Strike, EOO with Consecrate Weapon, or AI by itself. Any explanation on technique would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Katrena

Last edited:

PuckOfPacific

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I like to throw out a confidence if I'm running low on HitPoints. Honor for sure. And I'm about to ditch Chiv, as you can switch to a wraith and recall every where a chiv can go. I also was a LS every swing kind of guy, but now I AI and LS to get more mana. from my mana leech weapon as needed. I don't consecrate as much either. Seems to be less effective on some things. If you have your suit mostly figure out, and a good handle over your weapons. Load yout tune up with all the items yo are going to use, and go to TC1, as yo can switch your skill sets around, and find out exactly whats gonna rock on the types of critters you want to fight. $0.02 of mine.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really depends on what you are fighting.

When clearing the trash from a champion spawn:
1. For lower level spawn, I will walk around opening my backpack to get a good amount of spawn on me. Opening the backpack forces a server update and causes the creatures to target you. Then once I get 20-30 or more I'll stop, pop evasion, then use the macros for Select Nearest Hostile / Attack Selected and Whirl Wind. You really shouldn't need any more than that until you get to the 4th level of spawns.

2. For higher spawn- the only spawn I really concern myself with is level 4 Demon Spawn, Dragons and Poison Elementals. Other than that, the rest for me are easy. For the succubi on the deamon spawn, I will EOO them if that sampire has Chivalry. If there are a lot of dragons or multiple paragon dragons, I'll do the same for them. And the same for Poison elementals actually.

3. Honor when you can. ALWAYS honor the champ, don't die trying to honor lesser crap, only if you can without dying.

4. I rarely consecrate weapon as I use 100% elemental weapons. But, if you don't have a 100% elemental weapon, I would do my best to always keep it up.

5. Chain AI. Lightning Strike when you can't AI.

Example- I just finished off Rikktor. He spawned, I honored him. If I had Chivalry, I would have cast EOO. Use AI. Keep AI up until you hear the earthquake sound, pop Feint or Evasion if you don't have Feint. Once the Earthquake goes off, Divine Fury if your stamina dropped or use a refresh potion. Repeat... over and over... dead dragon. The only time I die to Rikktor is when there are idiots running around.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all of the explanations, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Katrena

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll admit, I've never done that spawn solo, that is something to try... with their dismounting and attacks, might have to take a level slow.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent guide. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm fascinated that you don't use chivalry. Do you mind posting your suit? Thanks!!!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent guide. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm fascinated that you don't use chivalry. Do you mind posting your suit? Thanks!!!
Yeah, it's probably about time I did. I'll see if I can remember to do it tomorrow.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm fascinated that you don't use chivalry.
If you can reach the damage cap through other means (honor/slayer/whatever) or do enough damage to matter, use potions to keep your stamina up and use elemental weapons, what use is there beyond that in Chivalry for a sampire? Noble Sacrifice? Sorry, not going to carry 80+ skills points just so I can res someone. :)

Plus, all those 120s are sweet. ;)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How are these made?

Great guide by the way.
Reforging > Grand Artifice > Exquisite / of Quality /w Shadow Runic Hammer I believe is the best way, I will double check my notes in the morning.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Reforging > Grand Artifice > Exquisite / of Quality /w Shadow Runic Hammer I believe is the best way, I will double check my notes in the morning.
If I remember correctly there was discussion and the general opinion was that you couldn't get 100% from a DC or Shadow runic and that you needed copper or higher.

Can't find that thread. Grrrr.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, semmerset's chart here: [Imbuing] - Reforging. How to | Stratics Forums

Shows you need powerful reforging with Grand Artifice > Exquisite/of Quality to get 100% elemental with a shadow hammer.
It's a copper hammer that you just use Grand Artifice > Exquisite/of Quality and no powerful reforging.

I seem to remember that thread- so- I would recommend going the copper hammer route. :D

MagicStar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just curious
if i dont use chiv and use a 100% fire weapon against something thats weak in fire resist
will armor ignore still work?
as i understand it AI only affects phy resist?

also if im using say a spider slayer on navery will damage increase still work up to 100%?
like can i have 100% DI plus a spider slayer? or will i go over the 100% cap?

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just curious
if i dont use chiv and use a 100% fire weapon against something thats weak in fire resist
will armor ignore still work?
as i understand it AI only affects phy resist?
AI ignores all resist.

also if im using say a spider slayer on navery will damage increase still work up to 100%?
like can i have 100% DI plus a spider slayer? or will i go over the 100% cap?
There is a difference between Damage Increase (like from Items) and Damage Modifiers (Slayer).

MagicStar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AI ignores all resist.

There is a difference between Damage Increase (like from Items) and Damage Modifiers (Slayer).
ok great thanks
so i will try for 100% DI with spider slayer and 100% fire damage

i think uoguide might need to add that armor ignore affects all resists i would edit it but im always afraid i will make mistakes and further confuse people

this info helped me alot thanks again

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dull copper hammers can make 100% weapons, this is how I made my sets ages back.

AI is direct damage so if you are making a weapon to only AI with I wouldn't bother with 100% damage if this is your first go around making weapons. After you have made and tweaked you suit I'd then go back and remake your weapons based upon your current knowledge of what you want to kill. A broadsword, katana, leafblade or no-dashi(I think that's what I use to use) made with 100%cold will be a much better weapon to kill rikki with than the same weapon at 100% normal damage due to the constant damage spread if you can't AI or double strike.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok great thanks
so i will try for 100% DI with spider slayer and 100% fire damage

i think uoguide might need to add that armor ignore affects all resists i would edit it but im always afraid i will make mistakes and further confuse people

this info helped me alot thanks again
From my understanding, this is how damage works:
Damage Increase: (limited to 300%)
Strength
Anatomy
Tactics
Divine Fury (bonus damage considered bonus from item)
Items (limited to 100%)

Damage Modifiers: (limited to 300%)
EoO
Consecrate Weapon
Slayer
Honor/Perfection

Last edited:

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dull copper hammers can make 100% weapons, this is how I made my sets ages back.

AI is direct damage so if you are making a weapon to only AI with I wouldn't bother with 100% damage if this is your first go around making weapons. After you have made and tweaked you suit I'd then go back and remake your weapons based upon your current knowledge of what you want to kill. A broadsword, katana, leafblade or no-dashi(I think that's what I use to use) made with 100%cold will be a much better weapon to kill rikki with than the same weapon at 100% normal damage due to the constant damage spread if you can't AI or double strike.
Making elementals is different than it was ages back, it's much easier now...

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Succubi on like the 3rd level, the one in the room with the Ronin, drag the Ronin off and sit there and farm her. With my leafblade, I kill her in 2-3 hits. To get Knight in about 25 minutes.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The Succubi on like the 3rd level, the one in the room with the Ronin, drag the Ronin off and sit there and farm her. With my leafblade, I kill her in 2-3 hits. To get Knight in about 25 minutes.
Go to Thrasher instead. Ton of gold and chance of ML arti drops along with faster Honor gain. :thumbup:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to Thrasher instead. Ton of gold and chance of ML arti drops along with faster Honor gain. :thumbup:
I've timed it, for me, I get to Knight faster at Fan Dancer Dojo than at Thrasher.... and yes, that was Thrasher in Fel.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh... wife says the same thing too me.

Don't believe me, please feel free to test it yourself- or do what you want- both are pretty damn fast and yes- you will get better loot from thrasher.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Are you letting the monster hit you first?

Regarding the 100% weapons I figured people wanted the faster, more economical way to make 100% elementals, not the way that could take 6 months and 300 hammers. Which is why I figured we were talking Reforging as you had mentioned above.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, but I probably should.

And we were, but his comment was 'this is how I made my sets ages back.'

Reforging is by far the better way to make that stuff now.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya it was years back when I made my stuff. I'm sure that with effort a better suit could be made than mine and better weapons are to be had but at the time mine was state of the art.

This all said I run a pair of amps in my car that were made 20 years ago and they produce far beyond the typical set up most young folks consider "amazing" so some old things are just fine.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what's the trick in the fan dancer dojo to get knight of honor so quickly? what do I hunt?
Yeah I'd like to know this. I just took a trip there any was honoring all the fan dancers. Trouble is I kill them so fast I don't manage to get honor past 40%

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This all said I run a pair of amps in my car that were made 20 years ago and they produce far beyond the typical set up most young folks consider "amazing" so some old things are just fine.
I really only frequent 2 forums, this one and the caraudio forums and I agree 100% with your stereo statement.

Because unlike UO where the weapons and armor have gotten better, most of the electronics have actually gotten worse, at least in terms of quality. I personally think it's a giant scam where these huge corporations decided instead of making things to last, let's make them take a crap after a few years, then we'll make more money when those stupid people have to either:

1. Buy expensive warranties.

2. Buy a new device when the old one craps out.

Win, Win!!

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I have a stunning pair of precision power PC amps. They draw a heck of a lot more juice than if I had more modern stuff but I find it hard to believe that my comp at home needs fans but these new things don't.

On the down side a good track can make my head pound...I'm not nearly as young as this stereo would like me to think I am.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats the trick for the tokuno spawn? I can never get past the level with the hyruis
For tokuno ( actually for all spawns ) i use an ethy instead of swampie. Hiryus go down fast to a cold dragon slayer leafblade. Feint is important. Demon slayer for Oni's, undead for the lions .Spawn isnt really that hard, you just need to be a bit more careful.
For later waves at the harder spawns like tokuno,demon, lich , abyssal infernal,primeval lich i often use feint+momentum strike technic with appropraite macros instead of whirlwind.
I also always carry a few greater confusion blast pots ( they can be used even with 2-handed weapons ). Good for dropping aggro and gettin some distance if you remember to use em.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
On the down side a good track can make my head pound...I'm not nearly as young as this stereo would like me to think I am.
I know what you mean. I'm sure my equipment is being wasted as I don't turn it up much anymore.

My sig from those forums, which I honestly go months without getting on there because there's only so many times I can explain to someone why running a 1500 rms amp off your stock alt is going to make your lights dim ;)

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run a old Pioneer HU, first gen sat with nav/dvd. I only have front stage though the rear stock speakers do play they are reduced greatly and only amped from the HU(might be 5 watts).

Front stage= Polk Signature Refrence 6500 component housed in custom made kick panels powered by a PPI PC 2100(100 wattsx2)
Sub= Polk SR 124 DVC powered by a PPI 4100 running bridged to each coil(400 watts per coil)
PPI crossover(24db per I think it was)
Custom made alumapro C.A.P. holding 10 farads I think
0 gauge wiring from the front with a custom made alt, does not dim at all.
Full trunk with push/pull venting

I got it all done before the wife and kids so it's a very good reason to have kept the same car all these years. It was over kill then but it was the stuff I wanted during my teen years but was so far out of my reach so I got it done during my 30's. I use to go to the shows here but they just make me feel old and out of touch plus IMO it all sounds like crap with no real stage and no depth to the sound.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Driven Insane and Picus at the office. That's all very fascinating, but possibly not what NuSair had in mind when he started the thread. Could you maybe continue that conversation via PM and let the thread get back on topic please?

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
C'mon Petra.....Car audio is much more interesting than a Sampire!!!

Ok I'll say something on topic. Sampires are kinda boring which is why I rarely play mine. I'd rather run my Mystic/Mage and because I play with friends and guildmates I don't need to solo stuff.

But to each their own.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well....I'll just add my main samp temp to give the readers a second option:

120 Bushido-cause it's a needed skill
75 chiv- might drop this if I really start playing
100 necro-99 is for babies
75 parry-this is my spin on the temp
110 resist-I mostly spawn on this guy so a mana vamp is not wanted
120 swords- imo the more flexable skill but all have qualities
120 tactics-less is not an option IMO

If I was to redo it all I'd 120 the resist and parry and leave the rest in focus or anat which I think would be around 45. I'm not sure what kind of a suit one can reforge for a samp but I'd love to see what others have made in the last 6 months.

I also gave up a human going for the elf for the mana and I also use the tinker legs but I've not worked on this suit for a long time.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if reforging is even worth it on a sampire. No need for 210 stamina. No need for eaters or casting focus. DCI/HCI are already easy enough to hit.

I did, however, just reforge a luck suit for my sampire. I basically eliminated all of the mana increase from the suit. Haven't noticed any major benefit from Shame even with the luck suit though :/

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I made a luck suit after shame came out. Not sure what it topped out at but everything was max with 150 jewels but I kept my old weapons....nothing good came of it.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Theres alot of different sampire templates around, I'm still using the one I had before the chiv changes 120 bush, parry, swords, 100 anat, tactics, 99 necro, 61 chiv.

I'm starting to get confused with the 300% damage cap, something after 12 years of playing I thought I understood. I was thinking of dropping chiv, but how do you hit the 300% cap without it against something with no slayer like Dreadhorn and Paroxysmus?

Last edited:

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK I have been playing casually since april 1998 with a WOW break , and I just find the whole concept of soloing a Rikktor or any other spawn incredible if not downright fantastical LOL, any chance you live near NJ NuSair? Would like to hire you for some personal lessons if we could sneak it by my wife :p

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats the trick for the tokuno spawn? I can never get past the level with the hyruis
Tokuno spawn,I change skill,parry 60 to 120,resisting spell 120 to 0,anotomt 0 to 60
And need many weapon.
Lv4 is very dager,you use slayer daisho and collect 2-3 monter for safty,but 4 over I use double axe.
Twisted weald spawn,I change resisting spell 120 to 0,anotomy 0 to 120( for satry killing)

I think reforging good for weapon and luck suits and garg suits.
But I think other is not good.

No chiv sampire,only use champion spawn :)

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone answer this please?
Technically you could reach the cap by having perfection up and using crushing blow or infused throw . But i doubt this will give you the highest possible damage. Ki attack would also do, but its a bit impractical.
Focus attack or shadow strike also count as damage modifiers, but they dont get you to cap. Battle lust also works as modifier, but you cant reach cap against a single enemy.
In practice you will just have to live with lower damage.

Reforging a double axe or dual short axes for higher mana leech and chaining doublestrikes in combination with counterattack ( 120 parry ) may make it possible to compensate the loss of chiv.

Last edited:

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Technically you could reach the cap by having perfection up and using crushing blow or infused throw . But i doubt this will give you the highest possible damage. Ki attack would also do, but its a bit impractical.
Focus attack or shadow strike also count as damage modifiers, but they dont get you to cap. Battle lust also works as modifier, but you cant reach cap against a single enemy.
In practice you will just have to live with lower damage.

Reforging a double axe or dual short axes for higher mana leech and chaining doublestrikes in combination with counterattack ( 120 parry ) may make it possible to compensate the loss of chiv.
Think I'll keep chiv for now.