• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nox Mage?

A

Andre

I'm returning after about 9 years away from UO - back then I was running a nox mage... was wondering if that's still a viable pvp template (mainly for factions)?

The template I have in mind is:

120 mage
120 eval
120 inscrip
120 resist
120 poison
100 med

Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions since I have no clue what templates work these days. Thanks for your input.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You may find yourself quenched by pots. Most PvPers carry pots, which will neutralize your poison instantly.

By the way, poison is still capped at GM, as it was 9 years ago.

If you want to play a PvP mage template, I'd recommend one of the classics:
Scribe/Wrestle/Mage
120 Mage
120 Wrestle
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist
100 Scribe
20 whatever

Necro/Mage
120 Mage (use mage weapon, crystalline ring, inquis, and orny)
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Necro
120 SS
120 Resist

A

Andre

I assumed the cap on everything was raised to legendary... ah to be a noob again :dunce: I take it inscription is still capped at GM then?

I'm having a hard time deciding, but I think I'll end up going necro-mage. Definitely will spend some time on test to get a feel for both. I'll just have to learn about gearing up now! Thanks for your advice.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You're right, inscription is still capped at GM.

I hope I'm not quenching your original template. I know some folks use poison, but I think you'll be happier with a necro/mage. :)

A

Andre

You're not cramping my style, no worries :)

I was open to a necro-mage from the start, but was having a hard time making up my mind. The allure of a nox-mage was its familiarity. I have so much to learn coming back... a few necromancy spells will be the least of my worries. But such is life when you don't play for 6 expansions.

S

Sir Kenga

Faction nox mages aren't bad. Poison fields do good job in defenses.

C

Capt.E

Poison fields are really nice, but people instacure with pots. Which renders nearly 100 points on that template useless. Necro mages, bushi Mage, and ninjit mages are all viable options. There are several templates posted for all of these. Use the search option. Some people run 60 necro for evil omen only as well. Happy hunting.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It also kind of depends on what shard you play. Some shards are more dexer/archer heavy, in which case you pretty much need to have parry unless you're running with a zerg.

G

Gellor

I've been a nox parry mage for ever and a day(think years).

I am finally going to drop the poison off my template to pick something else up. I'm debating bush and ninja.

As lynk said, sometimes parry is VERY helpful depending upon the gimplets on your shard. I can't count the number of times parry has saved me. OTOH, some people seem to own the RNG and I get hit EVERY time. One guy will hit me 5 times in a row everytime. And yet normally, I'm doing better than 40% getting hit.rolleyes: