• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now vs Then

G

I was looking at a thread just now where someone is looking for an 'uber cleaver'. Some changes that have come over the years are a bit more than strange. Massive halberds are tossed into the smelter, while kitchen utensils are prized weapons...?? What the heck??

I'd like to hear some old timers pull out some juxtapositions between how the game is Now and how it was Then:

Now: Halberds suck. Cleavers rock.
Then: Cleavers sucked. Halberds rocked.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Now: Crafters are pretty much worthless...
Then: Crafters were the ultimate source for all your combat needs.

L

LizzyT

Now: The game has no bases for where the heck you are (Asians, Elves, etc)
Then: The game was based in more of a feudal Britain, with knights being the shizzy

G

Now : I suck at PvP.
Then : I sucked at PvP.
Nice to know some things never change.

G

Grot

Then a person could wear platemail, accepting a dex penalty because it was worth the extra protection. People killed you for the valorite/verite stuff, but generally left what they didn't need.

Now, we all wear some sort of leather armor. Plate is basically useless, valorite/verite is the only stuff worth wearing at all. People chop up your armor if they don't need it.

I

imported_SavageSP

Then: Britain was the Hot Spot
Now: Luna

Then: Demon Bone Armor
Now: Only a Savage would be caught Dead in any Bone Armor

Then: Tamers had Several Dragons in tow riding a Mare
Now: A Rune Beetle/Bake or a Cu

Then: All you needed was a Vanquishing or Power Weapon and Magery
Now: Spell Damage/Hit Low Def/HCI/SSI/DI

Then: Blacksmiths could be found at your local Forge for armor repair
Now: Smiths/Tailors can be found in every House or on a Deed

Then: 7X 100 was something
Now: 6X 120 or 100 Combinations

Then: Spell Reflection did what it said
Now: Not so much

There are a few off the top of my head

I

imported_SavageSP

A few more...

Then: You could find 30+ People in Shame
Now: Where's Shame?

Then: Silver Weapons were for Undead, and if a Player E-Bolted you while you had it Equiped.... 00Oooo00OO
Now: Undead Slayers

Then: It took several crosshealing characters to kill a Dragon, usually hugging the entrance for a quick get away in case of disaster.
Now: 1 Bushido Paladin and 3 hits= Dragon Loot

Q

Quentico

Then : You needed an ID wand or the Item Identifcation Skill to find out what, if any, special properties an item had.

Now : Everyone can see the properties of an item just by looking at it; and the purpose of having Item Identification listed as a skill to train is...?

Then : Magic Resist actually "resisted" major offensive spells like flamestrike or energy bolt; sometimes resulting in no damge, sometimes making the spell less damaging...

Now : Evasion resists more offensive spells than magic resist now and the player never gets damaged.

H

HalfDead

Now: UO is what it is.

Then: I remember times when I would miss really important deadlines cause I couldn't pull myself away from the game. I miss those days

I

imported_Daan Mor

<blockquote><hr>

Now: UO is what it is.

Then: I remember times when I would miss really important deadlines cause I couldn't pull myself away from the game. I miss those days

[/ QUOTE ]
I was like that when i came back last winter (as in dec 2005), managed to only miss RoT two days till Daan's first template was done (at the end of march), christmas day, cos I was at my parents all day till late, and new years day cos I was very, very hungover

*edit* and also the first time i played, when i thought i was hallucinating from playing too long just after a mammoth farming session to buy my first boat and sailed past the cove orc fort. Those Orc Brutes are huge! lol.

P

Pyrite_DTA

Then- the economy was based on the price of ingots and the number of ingots it took to make gm archer suits.

Now- the economy (if you want to call it that) is based on the price of gold on ebay.

G

Now
The roads of Britainnia is rarely used and there is very little danger from traveling them.

Then
Lonely and weak players would seach in the forest and traveling in the shadow of the trees, the roads was camped of brigands and thieves and very dagerous to use.

Now
Shops are rarely found away from moongates and large npc towns

Then
There was alot of shops everywhere in player towns and near roads. The shops was selling everything a PvPër would need.

Now
You need expensive gear to PvP

Then
All you needed was a gm made suit and weapon, maybe some arrows, pots, bandages or regs. All was very easy to replace and cheap

A

Aikaeli

To counter the tide of lamentation, I should say that my GM mage on Atlantic (one of the first - just a few months into final) was worth over $1000 ON EBAY. Now my 6x120 mage has no chance at that value, even with many stones.
But yes... everything is ****e now; we all miss being indistinguishable from each other once variously "gmed"; blah, blah; et cetera.

G

Then: Skinning common animals gave you furs - and were effectively worthless
Now: A fur is "worth" hundreds of thousands of gold

Then: True-black
Now: Neon

Then: Heavy crossbow bolts that would follow you all over Sosaria
Now: Stealth archers who will follow you all over Sosaria

Then: Jumping into other people's field spells
Now: Ninja/animal form flag exploit (ok so it's fixed:))

Then: All night tailors
Now: All night tamers

G

<blockquote><hr>

To counter the tide of lamentation, I should say that my GM mage on Atlantic (one of the first - just a few months into final) was worth over $1000 ON EBAY. Now my 6x120 mage has no chance at that value, even with many stones.
But yes... everything is ****e now; we all miss being indistinguishable from each other once variously "gmed"; blah, blah; et cetera.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember meeting a grandmaster lumberjack... I was impressed. That meant ALOT of trees back in the day!

Just thought of another one..

Then: Tab-tab-Hide
Now: Stealth/Hide/Smoke-bombs

Q

Quatir

Then : I remember Vas Flam and Int was all that was needed to pvp
Now : You need uber items 720 skills to even consider not runing.

Then: I was waiting at vesper bridge talking to people and stealing their keys
and after that rob their place , sometime they caught me some other times i could succesfully hide and sometime i even robbed the guy during a month. but it was all fun because 1 robbery meant about 8000 to 15000 loss wich could be remade during a day hunting not 10 days farming doom 24/24 7

Now: you got to play siege perilous to even enjoy stealing and even that means buggin more the people off then anything and you cant really steal anything valuable or have any fun , so your stuck stealing crappy bitmap in a dangerous dungeon hiding from dumb AI wich killed the profession.

Then : I placed trapped box at vesper bank on the floor and could loot the guy Dry because he was grey ( not good or evil )

Now : your either Red or Blue.

Then : i remember murdering people in mass , dismembering my kills and cooking them after that casting incognito walk to vesper bank and give cooked human pieces to passer by and getting wacked by the guards after 3-4 minutes and then have a big crowd encircle my corpse chop my head and collect the bounty , having justice done.

Now : The murders talks somehow funny like they got their mouth loaded with potatoes , like STfu NooB we pwned jo() and the guards dont even bother anymore.

Then : Uo was simple , fun and original.

Now : Uo is simple , takes alot of knowledge to master , and copy the latest mmorpg in vogue or to come.

* can go on for hours

G

Then: Gating balrons into the bone-knight room from Hythloth
Now: Herding beetles to moongates

Then: Deathrobe thieves at the bank, thug-thieves on the roads
Now: Psst... wanna buy a bowl of fruit?

Then: Cutting bandages one at a time...
Now: Cutting a stack cloth into a stack of bandages

Then: Britain
Now: Luna

Then: Guildstones
Now: Ronin?

Then: Counsellors in blue
Now: ...

Then: Tent-barricades around the front door
Now: Private houses

Then: Britain crossroads, later City of the Dead
Now: Lunacy

Then: Bank runs
Now: Bags of sending

Then: GM spirit speak meant you were a hardcore roleplayer
Now: GM spirit speak means you are looking for a 20 SS powerscroll

S

SavannahSP

Then: Cutting bandages one at a time...
Now: Cutting a stack cloth into a stack of bandages
---

Yeah, and sometimes this can be a major oops. 6,500 bandages??? Or, my favorite ... Bod cloth bandages? Noooooo...

-Sav.

G

Then: EA staff members were always in the world, building pvp arenas fountains etc. and blessing things in huge player run towns, visits from GMs to shards to interract with players were often and plentiful. We had even oft active in game human beings playing pixel roles of rulers over the world like Lord British and Lord Blackthorn even.

NOW: You are number 3000 in the que, check websight blehbleh.com and the lights are on but nobody is home in the once alive player run towns fel side and in the palaces of our Lords.

And ..have a good day.

Q

Quatir

Then : Placing a small blacksmith (shop) House on the top of your Tower wich was the safe spot to stash vanquishing and invulnerability items.
Now : Plots

Then : Hating Great Lords Or Dread Lords because they meant the ultimate in either good or evil.
Now : Lords are just naked tamers.

Then: Watching vesper bank with around 90 people lag to death and hear all the time , HEY I SAID THIS 10 MINUTES AGO
Now: Watching OTF fly and bounce on my screen even tough i got 30 ms ping to siege on a 10 mbit connection.

Then:Server going down meant massive warfare at brit cemetary , 200 people pvp for 20 30 minutes.
Now : Server going down means you and the other only other guy afk on the server need to do something else.

Then: Enjoy your small house nowhere in vesper wood so you can enjoy a new life on another server and have fun chopping wood , making wooden shield and sell them for profit.
Now: What did you say?

Then: Losing a house because you lost the keys and the double and couldnt refresh it for 7 days.
Now :Watching houses ownd by osi for 6 years never collapse.

Then: watching GM's fight and talk with people spawn monsters so people could have fun when bored , or even watch them fight in Green Lands.

Now : RIght now playing in europa stole a sigil from minax cant use trinsic bridge because a house blocks it and i just received * Please go read EA website to find an answer , typical copy paste GM message.

Then: cost of a Tower 35k-45k
Now : 3 times normal servers 9 times on siege

Then : owning 390k gold and beign a High Class PKer with 7 houses 2 towers 50 tents 1 shared keep with 1 character not 1 gmed skill and making people jealous.
Now :Newbies after 4 days own 1 million+ gold

Then : GM blacksmith were badass friends to have and hanged at a public blacksmith all day earning their living.
Now : GM blacksmith are characters that never log more then 5 minutes.

G

Grot

Then: Eating a double quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a shake and losing weight.
Now: Looking at a McDonalds sign and gaining weight.

Oh, sorry, forgot you meant in UO.

G

Then: Newbs with reactive armor scrolls looting leftovers in Deceit
Now: [young] status characters looting swoops leftovers

Then: Beating on bone knights at "the wall" in Deceit
Now: Banging on golems with a %100 poison weapon

Then: Warrior = Swords/Parry/Tactics/Magery/Resist/Archery/Hiding in full plate mail with a halberd and broadsword
Now: Warrior = Necrotic/samurai/ninja/something in leather and bunny ears with a cleaver

Then: Horses were expensive and always sold out so most people went on foot
Now: Mount-speed warping everywhere, but we have bolas for the win

G

<blockquote><hr>

Then: Eating a double quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a shake and losing weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that.

Then: Women in the office admiring my bulging biceps built naturally from working in the steel mill
Now: My belly bulging from working on computers, women in the office admiring my knowledge of our order management system :p

G

Then: House Lynn'Dannae, the Dark Tower, Shadow Clan, UND, Safe Haven and fighting over places that meant something...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Then: House Lynn'Dannae, the Dark Tower, Shadow Clan, UND, Safe Haven and fighting over places that meant something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Zarquon, it's you!

D

Dawn/Kaisa

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm now....Luna? lol *sighes*

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Now: Memories

Good to see you here, hope more old SP players will come back.

W

Wolf pack

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]lol
Then: tank mages with hallies
Now: Ninja, samurai, paladin, whatever else, with a clever or kryss.

Then: having a house meant something
Now: 18x18 is standard.

Then: Moongates went to random locations
Now: who uses the moongates?

Ok, ill stop there for now.

R

RandAlThor

Then: You had to pay your sub fee to play.

Now:You can play the old version of UO for free ........
OH my what ever will I do.

M

Mangar(cws)

If Dag is back on Siege i would have to declare war on Canada.

Then: I found a really good hunting spot.
Now: Hey Lolz!11! i found this cool script.

Then:Can you repair this for me sire, i heard your a great blacksmith.
Now: Where the f*** do i find more blacksmith repair deeds.

Then: Damnit lost my power katana.
Now: Just Blessed my radiant steel darkdeathmoonblade of asia , 254 hit lightning, 654 SSI.

Then: Hmm what sort of armor to wear.
Now: Buying bunny ears and flaming feet(sorry castor , but it is ugly)

Then: That guy over there is a great assasin, he stealths around takeing pot shots.
Now: That guy over there doesnt have a stealth tamer, he doesnt stealth around takeing pot shots, what a newb.

Then: Im a stun heal mage.
Now: Im an elf samurai ninja assasin mage. So be wary.

Mangar

G

Mangar, it is very good to hear from you.

Then: Getting schooled by Mangar in duels
Now: Wondering why these potty-mouthed kids aren't in school.

G

Well dayum...look who's posted here.

THEN: Dagashi and his tales on the forum here &amp; he and his TAXmen come a calling and ya paid taxes or ye oft went OoOO

NOW: really dull Siege without TAX

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having a Macer fencer using a war hammer to beat them naked then using a DP kriss to kill them.

And my TOWNIE

D

Dor of Sonoma

Then: Thieves and mad bombers scattering in a wild, blind panic away from Vesper Mint if someone lit a campfire, lest they pick up Camping skill by proxy

Now: Skill locks, Stat locks, lock locks.

Q

Quatir

Then : Space guy on siege board saying space stuf about space captain picard Pew pew pew saying he will invade space station everyday , roleplaying the weirdest guy i ever seen on this board.

Now : Wondering what happened to that guy last of his post here date from 4 years ago.

G

Completely off topic (before going to bed) but
Dag, are youplaying again? Is TAX back?

Sorry been a bit out of the loop with the twins and all

Now: No life, no me time (except at 130 am)
Then, all life, all me time (with some Grot in between)

Now: UO for an hour or two every few days (if I'm that lucky)
Then UO for 20 hours + straight

Now: I loot little to nothing from player corpses (didn't earn the rights to)
Then: I looted what was left behind because I could and I wouldn't turn grey and darn it I needed those precious things more then the guy that died.

Now: instanced corpses and dungeons (peerless)
Then: loot stealers (theives)

Now: Theives are weak and meager
then: Disarm theives ruled the roost and some times if they were lucky got a hold of your ethy.

Good night all

G

Mangar??? Dag??? This is one of those side-effects the doctor warned me about, isn't it? *pokes at small braille print on pill bottle*

Then: Cutting someone's head off and locking it down to brag about it.
Now: Kelmo's and Dor's padlocks.

Then: "Please can you make me some GM katanas? I'll pay well."
Now: "You have blacksmithing? That's like, taste ID and camping, isn't it?"

Then: Being constantly on guard, expecting to be attacked at every swing of the pickaxe or shovel, even while mining in the middle of nowhere.
Now: Getting a murder count an hour after you grew bored with talking to an AFK macro miner, decided to hit him to see if he was actually there, and then took over his ore spot.

Then: Finding all the 'good' ore spots were camped by miners and PKs.
Now: PKs are too afraid to leave the general vicinity of Luna.

Then: Meeting many, many, many people, good and bad, out on the roads.
Now: "I can't have magic resist in my template because then I'd have to give up magery, and I'd have to walk everywhere!"

Then: West Brit Bank and Moonglow were crawling with people. Getting a rez was easy. One or two folks RPd ghosts.
Now: The ghost cam population is catching up with the player base.

Then: I was sane.
Now: Quick! Hide the mongbats! The treacle! The giant green llama!