• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nothing to see here - Just venting :-)

Mezzac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all,

No, I am not going to quit, not even really sure why am even writing this, I guess I am just verbalising my disappointment:sad4:

My wife and I have been playing this game for many more years then either would care to admit. Throughout the years we have made many great friendships with the people we have met both inside and outside of the game.

Over the years we have also found ourselves in a position to be able to help some of those people - in particularly, those who have found themselves in need of some financial assistance.

Now, given the transient nature of some of the relationships you build in the virtual world, we have always been mindful of the fact that each time we did help someone it was on the understanding that the money would be lost - so we never offered out more than we were prepared to lose if not repaid. However to our surprise the funds always seemed returned eventually to be available again if and when required.

However, recently none of our help has been returned - as I said, this money was used on the understanding that the next person's may not return it, but I guess given the history over the years I had become complacent and never really anticipated or excepted the possibility when it would not be returned.

However, sad to say our more recent efforts have not been returned:(

I suppose more than anything I am just extremely disappointed - because I put a lot of faith in people and each time something like this happens to you you become little more sadden, society weighs a little heavier on your shoulders and as much as you hope it doesn't, it will impact on what future decisions you are able to make.

My wife says I spend too much time looking at the world through 'Rose coloured Glasses' and this is what the modern world is - that may be true, but over the years, inside and around this game I have been able to insulate myself from the nasty world outside and escape if but for a short time.

Unfortunately that appears no longer possible ...........

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on a much larger scale this reminds me of that horrific hit and run in CT yesterday where no one helped the poor old man sprawled in the street. cars drove around him, people just stared from the sidewalk, no one called 911... what kind of world IS THIS??? all i can say to you is try to keep the faith and realize that there's an equal amount of good, caring, responsible people who do repay their friends and do truly appreciate the kindness of others like yourself who offer to help. i also donate money to friends in need, with the hope that someday it will be repaid, but also being happy to know i could help them out and keep their faith in humanity going.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on a much larger scale this reminds me of that horrific hit and run in CT yesterday where no one helped the poor old man sprawled in the street. cars drove around him, people just stared from the sidewalk, no one called 911... what kind of world IS THIS??? all i can say to you is try to keep the faith and realize that there's an equal amount of good, caring, responsible people who do repay their friends and do truly appreciate the kindness of others like yourself who offer to help. i also donate money to friends in need, with the hope that someday it will be repaid, but also being happy to know i could help them out and keep their faith in humanity going.

My husband told me about that and it made me sick. How can people be so heartless and not even help. It makes me sad to see where this world is going. :sad4:

C

Connor_Graham

My husband told me about that and it made me sick. How can people be so heartless and not even help. It makes me sad to see where this world is going. :sad4:
What's sad are people that sue the person that used CPR on them to bring them back life because that person broke a rib or 2 while doing it.

"Hey! He's alive!"

"ungh Wazzup?"

"You died dude. Do you feel ok?"

"Uh, I think I've got a broken rib"

"I had to perform CPR on you to bring you back to life"

"Yeah, but you broke my rib while doing it. I'm suing"

"Uh...I could just kill you again...":gee:

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify, your talking about lending/giving UO gold right?

In Auz you cant sue anyone for anything reguarding life rescue type stuff. :)

V

Vex

[QUOTE
"Yeah, but you broke my rib while doing it. I'm suing" [/QUOTE]

This is why we have good samaritan laws to protect us from such things. If you are trained in CPR and First Aid (as I am) you must identify yourself as a person who is trained before helping someone. Any injuries you may inflict on a person while giving care covered in your training are not subject to a law suit.

Anyway ...

I just saw that vid on TV and wondered -- WTF!

S

Saris

lol I would help in an instant, only once I had to give CPR and it was bad I must have broke about 4 ribs on the man, but he died anyway.

There was about 5 ppl present everyone else just stared open mouth, while I started CPR and I had to stop to remind someone to call 911.

To think that you will get sued for trying to save a life is wrong, it is posible but it dont matter, money has no value compared to a human life.

Anyway most ppl in UO will help if they are simply asked, it just depends what company you keep.

ps I bought him back about 15 times before EMS came and ran him to some machine, the last time though he knew what was going on like some fleet moment of life, he managed to at least mouth to his woman that he loved her.

edit also just wanted to share when i give something out in game I do it in good will and don't expect or need repayment, it is nice when good deeds are repaid but payment was never the point of a good deed.

Leaf

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My girlfriend and I were walking through the fairgrounds a couple years ago when a women fell out and had a seizure right next to us. Everyone just stood there watching or moving fearfully away. She and I were the only ones that had a clue on what to do and we were the only ones to help. Her husband finially found out what was going on and was so grateful. She had went to get their drinks and didn't return. Scarry world when you can only get "heals" if your a pixel.

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I was 14 (and I am more than double that now by a good amount :) ) a woman passed out in a shoe shop and fell into a towering pile of shoes head first. Everyone stood around and stared at her. I ran over and asked for help turning her over so I could, as much as possible, keep her straight in case she had hurt her back or neck. NO ONE would help me. I was 14 years old and fairly small and it was a grown woman. They all stood around and went, I'm not getting sued, no way. My step mother had run up to the front to call 911 and had to climb over the counter since the door was locked to get to the phone and at about that time she came back and heard them and got pissed and yelled that a 14 year old girl would help and they wouldn't lift a finger??? She helped me turn the woman over and I found out she was breathing but still out. We stayed with her and in about a minute or two she came around. At that time the EMTs showed up and we left after they took over, but I have never forgotten exactly how sick all those people made me...

I was always glad that they had certified us in CPR in school and I have tried to keep up with it as much as possible through the years and even ended up being a volunteer firefighter and going to FF school during college, but it seems like everyone is so lazy now a days that helping someone in real trouble is to much of a put out... :sad4::sad4:

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand your feelings on the matter. Being a good samaritan is full of ups and downs, hopefully you keep the memories of the ups and dont let the others get you down. I have been on the recieving end before in the time of need, and have not forgotten the kindness. Never forget how wonderful a thing karma can be. Its rewards come in many unexpected ways.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for being a part of what makes this game so special. Regardless of anything else, dont forget that.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I was 14 (and I am more than double that now by a good amount :) ) a woman passed out in a shoe shop and fell into a towering pile of shoes head first. Everyone stood around and stared at her. I ran over and asked for help turning her over so I could, as much as possible, keep her straight in case she had hurt her back or neck. NO ONE would help me. I was 14 years old and fairly small and it was a grown woman. They all stood around and went, I'm not getting sued, no way. My step mother had run up to the front to call 911 and had to climb over the counter since the door was locked to get to the phone and at about that time she came back and heard them and got pissed and yelled that a 14 year old girl would help and they wouldn't lift a finger??? She helped me turn the woman over and I found out she was breathing but still out. We stayed with her and in about a minute or two she came around. At that time the EMTs showed up and we left after they took over, but I have never forgotten exactly how sick all those people made me...

I was always glad that they had certified us in CPR in school and I have tried to keep up with it as much as possible through the years and even ended up being a volunteer firefighter and going to FF school during college, but it seems like everyone is so lazy now a days that helping someone in real trouble is to much of a put out... :sad4::sad4:

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

My wife was working in a grocery store one day, when she noticed a woman further back in line from the check out stand was turning blue, and seemed to have difficulty breathing. The lady had people all around her, but no one even noticed. She was unable to talk, and couldn't ask for help. My wife ran to her, and used the Heimlich Maneuver on her. The woman comes in still, and thanks my wife for saving her life...she is convinced that is exactly what happened.

We have helped hundreds in the game, in the 10+ years we play. We just sold a suit to a person we barely knew "On Credit", as they had no good LRC suit. They never did pay it off, and it's OK...we know who it was, and they surely will never be the benefactors of our generosity, again.

We will not, however, stop helping people out. We will just be mindful of those who abuse it...that's about the best we can do, we figure.:)

Building walls may protect one from others...but it also keeps one from being able to meet the good ones, in my opinion.

A

Aboo

You are a good person and there are MANY out there who would deeply appreciate you and your help. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the entire barrel. The world (both UO and Real) needs more people like you!

A

Aboo

Building walls may protect one from others...but it also keeps one from being able to meet the good ones, in my opinion.
A wonderful thing to remember!

There are so many good people in UO, evidenced by the people responding here!

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a beautiful afternoon and we had our windows open in the apartment we were living in when I thought I could hear a faint "HELP". I told my hubby to listen but he couldn't hear anything so I went outside to listen better. I knew I wasn't imagining and sure enough, I heard it again. Then I saw that a car our neighbor across the street had been working on had fallen on him. I screamed for my husband and we both ran across to help him. We were both trying to lift the car while other neighbors stood there and watched. I was furious and screamed "GET YOUR @$$es OVER HERE". That seemed to put the fire under their butts that they needed. We got the guy out and after we made sure he was OK, we all walked away. The guy didn't even thank anyone but that didn't bother me. What did was how people had just stood there instead of helping. As I've gotten much older, I realize that some people just don't respond well to emergencies. There are participators and spectators. I just hope that if I'm ever in need of help, the group around me will be "participators". We do live in a litigious society and it's sickening but I will never hesitate to help someone even if it means having to defend myself in a court of law.

As to the game... I love helping people out and the only thing I ever ask of them is to "pay it forward". If they don't? it shows their character and they can just live with themselves. If they do? I will probably never know about it and that's fine since that wasn't my objective in the first place. This world is filled with good and bad people. Sadly, it carries over into our world of UO. I have to accept that even if I don't like it. The only thing we can control is how we react to situations and I, for one, can't make myself NOT care or help. Thankfully, I know a lot of people in this game with the same mentality.

A

Aboo

As I've gotten much older, I realize that some people just don't respond well to emergencies. There are participators and spectators. I just hope that if I'm ever in need of help, the group around me will be "participators".
That is so true, some people just don't respond well in emergencies. And it doesn't matter if they know the person or not.

When our 4 children were growing up we had a small above ground pool in our backyard. We used to sit in the yard every evening and watch the kids play. One day my son (he was 4) was in the pool with my youngest daughter who was about about a year old. She was floating in a "tub boat" and he was very good about playing with her/watching her. My husband, father-in-law and I were sitting talking with our backs to the pool when we heard our son laughing really hard. We turned to see what he was laughing at and our daughter was no where to be found and the tub boat was upside down (our son thought she was acting silly). My husband and father-in-law just stood there with terror in their eyes. I immediately jumped up and ran to the pool.

Our daughter lay at the bottom with her eyes staring straight up at me. Without hesitation I jumped in and grabbed her up. As soon as her face hit the air she let out her breath. I had worked with her all summer by blowing in her face and then dunking her under the water. Never was I more thankful that I had taught her that than at this time.

My husband later said he froze because he was afraid of what he would find if he went to the pool. He just knew she was drowned. We never sat with our backs to the pool again.

About a year later we were at the ocean walking along collecting sea shells. The same daughter was about 3 feet from me. A wave came up and started taking off with her and I was stuck in the sand and water. My husband and father-in-law were about 20 feet from her. This time when they saw what was happening there was no hesitation in their actions. They were yanking her out of the ocean in a flash. They had learned from the year before.

My father-in-law was so upset he decided it was time to leave the ocean.