• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Not UO, but another Origin setting.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought this would be of interest to some of you. Ultima wasn't the only hot Origin Systems property of the 90s. But, still, this caught me by surprise when I saw these "new" and pending books when e-book shopping.

Baen Books is reissuing the Wing Commander novels from the 90s as e-books.
The Mercedes Lackey novel from 1992: Wing Commander: Freedom Flight by Mercedes Lackey and Ellen Guon - Baen Ebooks
The other books in the series: http://www.baen.com/…/c…/view/s/william-r-forstchen/id/4802/

Not sure about the availability of the e-books through Amazon & Apple, but Baen itself sells e-books without DRM and a lot cheaper, on average (in fact, in order to be able to sell most of their books through the Kindle store, Amazon FORCED them contractually to start charging $2-3 more per book than had been their established prices). IT just requires a couple extra steps to get them onto the big name readers if you go through the publisher. Also, Baen's books are also available in RTF, Word and other formats, so you can read them on your computer.

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never did get to play Wing Commander though I wanted to. Out of curiosity, did you ever play another Origin title called Knights of Legend? Apparently the character Segallion was supposed to hail from Ashtalarea, the lands of that game.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seem to vaguely remember hearing that the WC books were fairly horrid, though I haven't read the myself. It didn't help that the WC game series was retconapalooza. (I'm guessing EA agreed to rerelease these to gauge interest in the long-gestating reboot of the WC franchise.)

They should republish all five of the Ultima books as e-books; the two weird books set between Ultima IV and V and The Technocrat War series from the aborted UO2. Getting any of those as paperbacks can be rather expensive/nearly impossible.

jaraxlebaenrae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking of books, at one time in the heyday, there was actually Ultima books, but I can never seem to find them anymore.