• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Not sure how I feel about this...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Taming 90-120 in 4 days using mastery. Comfort of my own house. It's great that I don't have to spend weeks if not months training taming. Same time the devs just made one of the toughest skills trainable not only easily but without having to be around anyone while doing it. Just seems like they gave skill scripts an easy button....

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. A bit of a slap in the face of the people who trained it the old school way.

You can also buy SoTs to take you from 0-cap instantly if you don't want to go through the "grind" of clicking your mastery skill. :rolleyes2:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed. A bit of a slap in the face of the people who trained it the old school way.

You can also buy SoTs to take you from 0-cap instantly if you don't want to go through the "grind" of clicking your mastery skill. :rolleyes2:
It's why I'm a little torn. I've trained my first tamer 0-120 and it took forever. Never did it again. It did need to be a bit easier but I'm concerned it makes scripting it way too easy.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Scripting it will always be easier than training it legit, so why should that be a factor

Stop scripting instead of removing this **** for everyone

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gonna ask the dumb question.......What are you on about?
Cast mastery on yourself??

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just great, way to go getting something that honest players can do nerfed soon with the post! =/

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taming 90-120 in 4 days using mastery. Comfort of my own house. It's great that I don't have to spend weeks if not months training taming. Same time the devs just made one of the toughest skills trainable not only easily but without having to be around anyone while doing it. Just seems like they gave skill scripts an easy button....
They just put it on par with all the other skills. Seriously, who cares about training skills nowadays. It's all about how useful they are, not how tough to train.
If the toughest skills to train would be the most powerful as well, everyone and their grandmother would kiss their sampires bye-bye.

In an ideal world every skill would be as easy as or as hard as any other skill to train. And all templates would be equally balanced to perfection. But that boat has sailed long ago... or let's put it this way, it's unrealistic anyways...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only thing I don't understand is how people are doing it with out it taking mana ?

Remember how hard it was to train parry and healing now you can 120 parry in a day I d

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only thing I don't understand is how people are doing it with out it taking mana ?

Remember how hard it was to train parry and healing now you can 120 parry in a day I d
It uses mana. But 241 mana 33 mana regeneration and 100 focus and meditation makes that really a formality lol

Herp!

Journeyman
It uses mana. But 241 mana 33 mana regeneration and 100 focus and meditation makes that really a formality lol
30 MR is cap from equipment & med/focus don't actually add to the stat sheet listed MR(but do allow more MPS)... just in case you wanted to maximize stats ;). But yea, this is very true, I did it with just 30mr no focus no med & never had to wait more than 5-10s for mana or meditate(mostly didn't med cuz I'd rather just spam the button). And I'll be 100% honest and say the first I heard of the masteries being used to gain skills, was on a disreputable forum that most likely everyone knows of but I will not mention. I do not script, but I sure as hell keep an eye on what they are doing because it gives me fun tricks like this one :).... and I'm friends with a few of the guys on top.

Edit: You should really not feel anything about this, good or bad, it is part of the game now. I somewhat feel bad for the people such as myself who did a tamer legit(and lost the account info) or paid 300m in pinks to get 90-120, but that's life.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok, guess im a little lost on this one.
i know with the barding masteries you can train by toggling the skill but im trying to think how you would use this with taming?

guess ill have to go look at the masteries again.... isnt one timed so you can only use it every hour or so?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok, guess im a little lost on this one.
i know with the barding masteries you can train by toggling the skill but im trying to think how you would use this with taming?

guess ill have to go look at the masteries again.... isnt one timed so you can only use it every hour or so?
Combat training. Target horse. Repeat. Don't even have to close the gump. You can also use the satyr trick this way.

*clarification

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i see, went and gave it a try.
its slow going.

looped it for the last 45 minutes on a 3rd string tamer on a shard i dont play on, went from 100 to 100.7
saves running around taming and killing off of the pets but id imagine the gains slow down as ya go.

so ya, i can see that being a 4-5 day slog to get to 120.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But, if the mastery is nerfed, this will benefit those folks who have already gotten the benefits.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In 5 hours I went from 101.5 to 107.8

6.3 gain but insanely boring

Use master combat training target pet then

Set macro to use last spell target last close window gumps

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, don't care. This game has been designed around completely developed (skill wise) characters for over a decade. Skill gain as an experience or a power limiter is no longer part of UO. It's just a road block between you and when you can actually start playing.

I GM'ed taming back in 98, and I can tell you... that was goddamn hellacious (I must have tamed 10k hell hounds heh), but it was a real journey, and I felt I had accomplished something, and my dedication allowed me to be one of the first dragon tamers on Lake Superior, which was quite an impressive power back then.

Nowadays the real development a tamer does is perfecting their luck suit, and farming a high rated GD. When the pet revamp comes it will be about tailoring/training pets for different things. I mean the only reason people haven't gotten to 120 taming before this change was because taming was so tedious, and the fact that you could just wear skill jewelry to make up that 10 or so points and lose very little stats wise.

So, whatever makes it easier is fine by me, because we won't be losing anything, especially when you consider a large portion of people playing are people who have been playing for many years leveling up new characters with skills they most likely have leveled in the past. It's just boring.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gosh, another thread that I sit and laugh all the way through. Some of you guys are really funny. I won't come right out and tell you which ones, cuz then I'll get in twubble.

:pirate:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May as well just make it part of character creation then ... choose your 700 skill points.
I think I know where you want to go with that: Create a new char with 6x120 skills, put all of them on a soulstone. Delete that char, rinse & repeat.
That way you'll have all skills on a stone in no time (except that you have to wait 1 week to delete a new char). That's actually quite clever of you.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think I know where you want to go with that: Create a new char with 6x120 skills, put all of them on a soulstone. Delete that char, rinse & repeat.
That way you'll have all skills on a stone in no time (except that you have to wait 1 week to delete a new char). That's actually quite clever of you.
Doesn't everyone have a full set of skills stoned away?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I know where you want to go with that:
Actually you dont. I think its a terrible idea. I was throwing it out in response to your saying "who cares about training skills anyway", With that attitude, why even bother. Just allocate them on creation. Personally I'd make it harder not easier. Pinks, skill jewels, soulstones ... they are all just dumbing the game down and pandering to "I want it all and I want it now" crowd, who want to be able to buy skills like they do equipment and swap them round just as easily.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No I just have a ton of accounts with dozens of characters ..... and I just make dozens of templates to cover all the skills...

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No I just have a ton of accounts with dozens of characters ..... and I just make dozens of templates to cover all the skills...
You can fit every template on UO into two accounts. One if you're like me and just make characters on random shards you'll never play. Those poor sad Sampires sitting alone in some random inn..and before the wall of text of holding houses accounts ra ra..I know I'm just being silly

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I don't think, that everyone has 50+ stones. But yes, there definitely are some, who do. And the rest is putting all their stones to good use as well... (and trying to aquire more stones though ;))

Personally I'd make it harder not easier. Pinks, skill jewels, soulstones ... they are all just dumbing the game down and pandering to "I want it all and I want it now" crowd, who want to be able to buy skills like they do equipment and swap them round just as easily.
Harder? What exactly does that mean?
Like grindier? Well, too much grind dumbs down the game as well...
Like more time-consuming? That would dumb down the game as well...
Whatever your answer might be, I'm pretty sure it will cater the dumbing-down-category. But feel free to prove me wrong.

I, on the other hand, would rather suggest two completely different things:
1.) They should make the playable content from 50-119.9 more appealing, then the problem would solve itself for most people anyways (Except for PvPers, since there is no 0-119.9 PvP content). Of course it doesn't mean, that you will get rid of macroers, but it would give people an actual incentive to play instead of just train.
2.) Allow skill-gains while actually playing the game for certain skills. Let's be honest, training taming has absolutely nothing to do with actually going hunting as a tamer. (And both activities are dull, just All-Kill & Heal for the latter)

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry I'm outdated not sure what MVP means?

The gains have slowed way down in 28 hours I'm at 117.8

Also I'm not using the "close gumps" anymore read it doesn't matter...?

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno, this is a 20 year old game chock full of people who find it *fair* to play on 10 accounts at once. If you find it a necessity for people to take months to train a skill in a game this damn old the way they did 20 years ago, perhaps it is time for you to either a) move on or b) get off your high horse. Yes, I worked taming 3 times the old fashioned way, without any helpers, however people don't have the time or the attention span for that these days and shouldn't be *expected* to walk up hill both ways in 3 foot of snow just because us old timers once did the same.

With regard to masteries, I am more concerned with the ones that actually are game breaking...like one of them getting you to 45 hci/ 45 dci without needing any on your suit...

Edit: no, don't bother asking me how it is done...I don't cheat nor do I advocate cheating.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May as well just make it part of character creation then ... choose your 700 skill points.
I honestly don't think this would have any impact on game play. People don't even leave their homes until they are scrolled and maxxed.

I'm not advocating such a change or anything, but I think the skill gain system is simply an artifact of the way the game uses to work, and really adds nothing to the contemporary experience.

It should stay the way it is simply because pinks and blues are one of the big resources people trade.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So instead of adapting to the times and responding to the players concernes by making things less difficult they then take time time make it more difficult by adding the pinks and blues ? What was gain and how many accounts have closed ? Most people don't have the time anymore to play a game 12 hours a day they have jobs and kids to feed.

This game isn't fun for must people slam me all you want just look how empty the shards are

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry I'm outdated not sure what MVP means?

The gains have slowed way down in 28 hours I'm at 117.8

Also I'm not using the "close gumps" anymore read it doesn't matter...?
No need to close gump. Also hit satyrs. They will make gains speed up again.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I honestly don't think this would have any impact on game play. People don't even leave their homes until they are scrolled and maxxed.

I'm not advocating such a change or anything, but I think the skill gain system is simply an artifact of the way the game uses to work, and really adds nothing to the contemporary experience.

It should stay the way it is simply because pinks and blues are one of the big resources people trade.
I still think Broadsword should add Grandmaster Skill Balls. Like...$3.99

*Magery I Choose You*

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game isn't fun for must people slam me all you want just look how empty the shards are
I don't think the game has a low population because it isn't fun, but because it was released 20 years ago with no real modernization since. It's an old game. People move on.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They would probably make a bundle.
Well some of the skills are dumb easy to GM. But there is a market for 120 taming, 100 poisoning, 120 ninja/bush. None of which that are particularly hard to train especially when you're just clicking play. Again though. Would I rather spend $5.99 or spend 3 days macroing? Most time I'd spend the $5.99 tbh.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would I rather spend $5.99 or spend 3 days macroing? Most time I'd spend the $5.99 tbh.
Yup, which is the whole core of my feelings. People don't play unless they are fully skilled up, and the skill gain process is so boring/tedious they would rather macro or pay for skill than play the game to gain, which says to me the skill gain process has outlived it's place in the game, well, outside of the pink/blue market as I mentioned, which isn't unimportant, imo.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, which is the whole core of my feelings. People don't play unless they are fully skilled up, which says to me the skill gain process has outlived it's place in the game, well, outside of the pink/blue market as I mentioned, which isn't unimportant, imo.
Well honestly it has for people who've played for years and years. I've trained most skills the right way. I just don't have the time or patience anymore to actually train. I work a ton of hours, plus family. So if I had to actually click and drag again..I most likely wouldn't log in anymore. The main reason I play today, is to make the most absurd trolling pvp character I can make. Play for an hour or two, and log. UO has lost its luster recently..but that's a whole different subject.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have countless characters... and I've worked skills for years used to log in every day and do what I called my point ones... However about 2 years ago I changed my work schedule and now I work nights on the weekends... most the time when I'm on people are going to bed... it's odd but I now have tons of time to get my point ones at night when no one is around to do anything with... but for some reason without Rascal (who passed away around the same time)... in vent with me... just someone to chat with and make the tedium of logging in and out dozens of times more enjoyable... I just don't care to do it anymore... I miss having that.

I haven't actually worked at skills in a long time. At one time it was a goal of mine to skill up a bunch of characters... but now I just don't seem to want to log in much. I think some of it might be that I miss the conversation... but more of it is that the rest of the game has become such a bore and a grind I see no future in it and therefore I see no goal for working up all the characters... I mean why work so hard when I barely log in 2x a week anymore? I've rather run out of fun things to do in UO that I enjoy... I think a large part of that is I don't like to play UO alone and I haven't found anyone around when I am.