• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Noob Questions:)

R

RenaLynne

Okay, so, old player here that decided to make a brand new skill...
So my questions about fishing are as follows:

1. My skills at about 33 right now. I noticed I fail a lot. Is fishing like taming to where you dont gain unless you successfully catch something?

2. If you are failing frequently, does it help to move around or change docks?

3. How do you get MIBs? Are these fished up or in sunken chests?

4. If I buy one(MIB) at what skill point would you reccommend using it?

5. At what point can a player fish up nets? Or are these in chests also?

6. You can only GM fishing right? Pretty sure about this one, because Ive never seen a 120 Fishing scroll but just want to be sure.

Also, any tips anyone can give me in general would be greatly appreciated. This is one of the few skills Ive never tried. Lotta fun so far!!!:danceb:

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. My skills at about 33 right now. I noticed I fail a lot. Is fishing like taming to where you dont gain unless you successfully catch something?
Just keep fishing around the shoreline, each attempt has the chance to give a gain, fail or not.

2. If you are failing frequently, does it help to move around or change docks?
I fished at the shoreline upto about 60 then went out onto the water. i believe you can on the shore till 70, but not to sure.

3. How do you get MIBs? Are these fished up or in sunken chests?
Normally you get mibs when you have higher skill, maybe even GM skill, You fish up a Serpent, it has a chance to carry a Net, a Treasure map or a Message in a Bottle.

4. If I buy one(MIB) at what skill point would you reccommend using it?
I would say dont buy them, when you get to GM you will fish up many yourself.

5. At what point can a player fish up nets? Or are these in chests also?
Nets can be found in Chests fished up from SoS's or on Serpents fished up. I found that i got nets before i reached GM fisher but no MiB's till after i GM'ed, maybe thats just a coincidence.

6. You can only GM fishing right? Pretty sure about this one, because Ive never seen a 120 Fishing scroll but just want to be sure.
Thats correct, at this time Fishing only goes to GM Skill.

Hope these answers help, This is just fishing as i remember it, Last time i GM'ed a Fisherman was only 2 weeks ago.

R

RenaLynne

Ok, thanks for the info, one more question, what do you use for finding coordinates? Maps on stratics???

Oops, one more, so could I possibly fish up a monster? If so, what fighting skill would you reccomend for this? I have a lil magery on her(75), should I just train this up more?

JasmineSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd reccommend using UO Auto Map to find coordinates for either fishing or chest digging. Be aware that it isn't being updated any more, but it works just fine. It's also free. You can get it here

http://www.uoam.net/uoam.html

There are a few options for the monsters. If you don't want to fight you can use hiding. Since you already have some magery you could cast energy vortex without the need for the eval skill. At 75 you could use jewery to get up to a max of 105 magery (+15 baracelet, +15 ring). That would work just fine.

R

RenaLynne

Thanks, I will look it up. You have to actually kill the monsters tho to get the loot right? Is the chest on the monster or do you actually fish it up?

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, I will look it up. You have to actually kill the monsters tho to get the loot right? Is the chest on the monster or do you actually fish it up?
Fished up SoSs have just the chest, no monsters. You have to fish up sea serpents and deep sea serpents and kill them to get the MiBs.

I'll be getting up a more detailed FAQ soon

Good Luck on your Travels,
Oriana

M

Mitzlplik_SP

What I did at lower levels was to fish at or near a server line.If you have AutoMap I would launch from MG and cruise east.If your within 16 tiles of a server line its considered shallow water and you will gain at lower levels.In mid 30`s 40`s,I`d hug the line and not stray far from it.Above 85 I`d get away from the server line and hit deep water for gains.

If you hit the MG area you can slow forward/back sail and never fish out you fishin hole like ya do from shore.Plus I think getting to deep water fishing level just fishing from docks and shore would be extrememly painful.

R

RenaLynne

Yea...Im at 65 now, and have been fishing from Bucs, Trinsic, and by Wbb from the docks. Im surprised the gains are so slow already only at 65. Ill def try your idea about server lines. I have heard in the past also, that a person gains more/faster being in an area outside of town.

A

Angus MacGregor

Fished up SoSs have just the chest, no monsters. You have to fish up sea serpents and deep sea serpents and kill them to get the MiBs.
Be aware, though... it is very possible to fish up a serpent while trying to fish up an MIB chest.

In fact, it's even possible to fish up TWO of them. This happened to me last week. I went out to fish up a chest and left my trusty dragon in the stable. While on the spot the SOS directed me to, I fished up a Sea Serpent AND a Deep Sea Serpent at the same time, and was promptly eaten. I managed to get back to my boat before they left (with my dragon) and exacted my revenge, and got another MIB and a net for my trouble.

Every cast you make has a chance to bring up a serpent, if you have enough Fishing skill, even when fishing up a MIB. Be prepared.