• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Noob questions...

G

Gurlok

I know this is a pain, but maybe someone can find a bit of time to help me a bit...

First off, i've searched the forums for some answers, but found it very difficult because 'i think' there has been changes to the starting area over the years.

well anyway, here's my status.
I started out a character and he was created in Trammel and got a couple of skill quests ... the killing starts
Ok, I finished the quests (the respectiv skills are now over 50%)

Question 1
Skills in other threads go up to 120. Is this respectiv to 120%?

Question 2
I got the Taming, Animal Info & Vet skills and tried taming ... anything, without any succes. Is it possible to tame on the starting island? or maybe i'm doing something wrong... (mark animal dog, bear, or whatever. click skill = msg: this animal cannot be tamed, or with info skill = msg: this is not an animal??!!??).

Question 3
what is a realistic skill lvl to aquire before leaving the island? and where is the next stop?

Question 4
Everyone talks about insuring, but i couldnt find any NPC that can do this. Is it only relevant after leaving Trammel?

Tons of other questions, but i'm sure if these are answered, i'll be able to figure alot out by myself...

thx in advance
G.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, and welcome.

1. These are useful forums for you (altough you will certainly find helpful folks here too): The Player Corner for all kinds of questions and UO Tamer Forum for everything related to taming (including a guide that will tell you what animals to tame at what skill level).

2. A basic skill cap for a character is 100, if you want to go further to 120 you will later need things called powerscrolls, you will find out about those when the time comes, so to speak. Skills are measured in points and 0.1 points, not % really. You gain 0.1 each time and you have, for example taming skill of 54.3.

3. Insurance - it's important when you adventure and die, lets you keep most of your stuff , BUT it costs money i.e. you have to have money in the bankbox for insurance to work for you. You insure your items by clicking right mouse button on your character to open a context menu, place the items you want insured in your backpack, open the menu, wait for target pointer and mark the items you want insured.

Sorry, but I'm not sure about the island and animals there...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question 1
Skills in other threads go up to 120. Is this respectiv to 120%?
Yes, it is. Power scrolls allow you to go beyond 100% in some skills.
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/scrollsofpower.shtml
Question 2
I got the Taming, Animal Info & Vet skills and tried taming ... anything, without any succes. Is it possible to tame on the starting island? or maybe i'm doing something wrong... (mark animal dog, bear, or whatever. click skill = msg: this animal cannot be tamed, or with info skill = msg: this is not an animal??!!??).
Yes, providing your taming skill is high enough. Here's a chart to tell you how much skill you need
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

Question 3
what is a realistic skill lvl to aquire before leaving the island? and where is the next stop?

You can leave the island at any time, and return if you wish to. UO is a world, you may go anywhere you wish, but you may not survive everywhere. Talk to players at Haven bank, many will help and advise you.

Question 4
Everyone talks about insuring, but i couldnt find any NPC that can do this. Is it only relevant after leaving Trammel?

You insure your items through the context menu on your character. Single click on yourself and choose 'toggle item insurance' Be sure when you have done so you also toggle 'auto insure items' so that your items will be automatically re-insured when you die.

Tons of other questions, but i'm sure if these are answered, i'll be able to figure alot out by myself...

You will find much information and advice here:
http://vboards.stratics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36
thx in advance
G.
Hope that helps.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gurlok I assume you are a straight out tamer.

However - ive just returned from a large break from the game and although I have 3 well developed characters ill be looking to make a new one (or two!) and thus if you like we can set up some nights of hunting/skill gaining/gold making.

N

Nenime

Question 2
Could it be you're using the KR (Kingdom Reborn) client? If so make sure that you're taming the right target. Rightclick the Taming icon, set target -> cursor or current (focus). Silly enough, Taming is set to 'self' by default and so you get the named error messages.

C

CatLord

Question 1
Many skills are based not on 100 but on 120... so even at Gm... 100... you will be 83% of max skill... and not able to use your skill to the max (100/120)...

Question 2
Taming is based on two skill... animal taming and animal lore.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/taming/taming.shtml
http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/prc.php?Section=taming_list
http://www.tamingarchive.com/faqs/animaltaming.php

Question 3
This is a GAME... realism means little... you can leave when you wish... UO isnt linear... (read the links above)

Question 4
Insurance... make sure you have gold in the bank, click yourself once to see your personal menu... make sure you have AUTO RENEW ON! and then click on the insurance option... giving you a cursor... target everything you want to keep.

Welcome to Drachs.

G

Gurlok

All the questions have been answered with great infos and links (thx to you all), except for question 3 (leaving the island) -> this is because if didnt specify the problem correctly, so here's my situation:

i left the island with one of my chars and gated to another lovely looking island with the name magincia (being a mage it was only logical). Upon arriving i took a little look around and was 1-hit killed within 2 mins of arriving. I tried getting my corpse back and after a couple of mins, there were 5 of me lying dead on the ground (which one to loot???:D). this has made me a bit more careful with my next char.

so basically i'd just like to know where i shouldnt venture until later, maybe a map with areas marked easy,medium,hard (more detailed, the better).

thx again

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh dear, Magincia was recently the location of an in game event and has not yet been returned to normal.

For your first venture out of Haven I would suggest Makoto-Jima. You will find an npc just a little west of the gate who will offer you a relatively easy quest which takes you to a desert area a little north of the town.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a different shard (Europa), I have a tamer with the highest skill (magery) in the 60's.

I can hunt with her in some pretty nasty places. My secret? A pack of timberwolves. The problem is, when a wolf dies, it takes an act of charity to get it back, so I usually stick to safer hunting grounds.

Anyhow, you're looking for places to explore...
If you can find a rune to Despise, that's a great place for characters of any level.

The area around the Trinsic moongate is pretty good for a new character. And with the gate right there, a healer is always close at hand.

Apart from that, just heading to the Trinsic, Minoc, Yew or Britain moongates and wandering around will help you to learn the lay of the land, and you'll find things that few people see any more.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moonglow is pretty good for new characters too. Lots of animals around, a town and a graveyard with some low level monsters in it.

G

Gurlok

Great info, thx alot. i'll have to see which area suits me best.

C

Cat Crimson

If you could tell us where your skills are at, I could make you a runebook or two with useful locations on it - some hunting/taming places plus some towns.