• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Pirates] Noob Question - Soloing Pirates

spamspamspamspam

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, I have the High Seas expansion, and I generally pvp, so my guild doesn't "do" pirate ships. I'd like to do one though (don't tell my guildies!) but was wondering if it can be soloed.

I have never fired a cannon before, but have a link to that, so can probably figure it out. I have some OK pvpers and pvmers (sampire, dexxer, bard, tamer) but was hoping to get some suggestions on best templates, solo tactics, etc. I don't run any scripts, and don't multi-client, so it would really be just one character on the ship.

Sorry for what's probably a noob question!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's doable, though the last person I watched trying to solo a pirate ship was was Calvin at the HS announcement meeting, and he died a horrible screaming death doing so because he forgot to set his "god mode" tag to "on" before sailing up to them (shades of Lord British).

One thing that helps is having macros set up for each cannon (which also didn't have set up prior to his little fiasco).

A mage would probably have a good shot at it with a orc or repond slayer spellbook (or, optionally, a slayer SC-1 mage weapon bow with near-max Mana Leech, if you end up mana dumping and aren't regenerating fast enough), using chain lightning, with a couple of the spell casting elemental summons (I use an air ele and a water ele when I group hunt and they do well) to be targets for the other side; comparable pets would work as well for a tamer template. Eventually, you'd get to a point where the pirate takes enough damage to where you can drop the eles (or let them die off, and stop replacing them) and cast a couple of EV's over on the scuttled pirate.

About the one certainty is that your own ship will be scuttled, and you'll have to do emergency repairs to get to shore, and repair the ship.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done the pirate ships with my bard tamer. It's really easy on them, just invis as you get to them so they target the pet then provoke the orcs onto each other and use discord. It takes a bit of time, but while they're killing each other off you can fire your cannons pretty much constantly. If you stand inbetween two of the cannons you can fire both at the same time.

S

soulstoner

It's way more fun with a friend or 2. Party up and everybody gets a prize.
Like we used to sing in girl scouts ... make new friends - but the old - one is silver and the other gold.:p

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, soloing pirates is doable but takes a while to take down a ship due to the time required to charge cannons... and moving the ship + firing cannons is not the easiest thing in the world :p

jaraxlebaenrae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I solo them all the time..nothing special about the temp..pretty much straight archer with plenty of heal/cure pots. Take out the crew first while constantly firing your cannons at the ship...once you are able to board I summon my vollum and pound away. Takes 10-15 minutes or so, but its still fun.

S

silentbob2011

i was soloing pirates using my tamer i would slide my boat up behind the pirate ship so 2 of my guns could fire on the back of the ship my ship would take no damage since the pirate ship couldnt hit me because i was behind them. Once you break the ship down to board you have to manuver you ship along side of the pirate ship but becareful not put your boat in line of the pirates cannons you can still board the ship to take the pirate down... Unfortantly the pirate ships are now messed up because once you fire at them they turn on you this just started to happen today I'm very upset since i was able to solo one pirate every 20mins without taking any ship damage now Its hard to do it without taking mass damage

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
swing behind them, line up directly behind until you touch the back of their ship, and go "back one" You'll be far enough to fire safely, but close enough they can't turn and attack you with their cannons. The pirate himself is easy enough if you have ranged attacks, just run backwards on your ship and heal if in a bind, and run back. if melee it's a bit tougher but still do-able

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i was soloing pirates using my tamer i would slide my boat up behind the pirate ship so 2 of my guns could fire on the back of the ship my ship would take no damage since the pirate ship couldnt hit me because i was behind them. Once you break the ship down to board you have to manuver you ship along side of the pirate ship but becareful not put your boat in line of the pirates cannons you can still board the ship to take the pirate down... Unfortantly the pirate ships are now messed up because once you fire at them they turn on you this just started to happen today I'm very upset since i was able to solo one pirate every 20mins without taking any ship damage now Its hard to do it without taking mass damage
silentbob- it didn't "just started" today. It's been doing it to most of us since day one of High Seas, and is how the pirates are SUPPOSED to act - you've just been extremely lucky, or only fought bugged pirates, till now.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
silentbob- it didn't "just started" today. It's been doing it to most of us since day one of High Seas, and is how the pirates are SUPPOSED to act - you've just been extremely lucky, or only fought bugged pirates, till now.
before the last patch it could happen, since the last patch the pirates keep move the ship and is almost impossible to avoid damages :p