• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Non Paying Bidders @ Raresfest!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As some of you already know there was a person named **** who bid 8.9bilion gold on some of the most desirable items at Raresfest and then refused to pay. This person was spoken to when they started bidding big and everything seemed on the up and up. However the end result is what truly counts.

So, besides the shame, banning from Luna houses, ridicule, scorn from the entire UO community, what other ramifications can be imposed on these people that do not pay there Raresfest bill? Additionally how can we stop this from happening at the next auction?

***** – NON-PAYING BIDDER

Last edited by a moderator:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Perhaps a prescreening or deposit required of new/ unknown bidders? (i.e. *****, welcome to the rares community. As a new and relatively unknown player, we routinely require a good-faith deposit of X (50m, 100m, whatever), until you have established yourself. This money will be returned to you should you not win any bids, but would be forfeit should you refuse to honor your bids. Thanks, and welcone to Raresfest!)

Orich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, I'm pretty shocked.

I've been talking to ***** quite a bit over the last couple of days. She seemed excited and happy with the outcome of the rares fest, and hopeful to begin her rares collection.

Maybe there is more to the story?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Orich,

Yeah like I said she seemed like a stand up bidder during the fest. I can only surmise that this was planned and done intentionally. The alternative is to believe that a budding rares collector has totally ruined their reputation, before it even began. I for one think it is unconscionable and look forward to banning this vermin from my Luna house and doing all I can to run this person out of town.http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/unconscionable

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is all....very strange. Not much else I can say about it on Stratics I feel.

Tips for inexperienced Collectors / Bidders
1. Don't bid with gold you don't have
2. The burden of trust is on you
3. Know who you are dealing with

If you are making bids totaling 8.9bil but yet you dont have all the gold AND you claim you dont trust Nails....Then something is quite wrong in what you are doing.

Meadhbh

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do the runner ups to the items that she did not pay for get a chance at bidding for them again? as I am still interested in the item in question!

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have no idea how Nails is going to handle it but I would contact him.

Orich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's very difficult to handle situations like this.

People end up not trusting the valuations ... the psychological "thrill of the bidding competition" is gone ...

What a mess. :(

Pampa DH

Lore Master
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yea this is not good. I am not dissatisfied with my end result but I got caught in a bidding war with them and ended up spending probably 500 or so more Million than if I was the only one bidding. But oh well, such is life.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Imagine an item this person won on. Say there was two other people bidding.

Player A 100m
Player B 200m
**** 300m (Winner)

Do you go back to Player B and offer the item for 200m? What about Player A, maybe they were willing to go to 300m but didn't because ***** went there first....? Do you offer Player A to bid again?

Then you have the situation where ***** bid up an item so high but ultimately another person won. Does that other person still need to pay the exorbitant amount? If not what about the seller who now wants the winning amount?

It is a massive cluster-duck and frankly Nails does not deserve it. The man does not get paid for raresfest and does it voluntarily for the community. And you have these &*(>$#) that bid and dont pay. Common sense dictates that if you bid on any item, you are required to buy it immediately following the auction. ***** can claim she doesn't trust Nails or whatever subterfuge she wishes but the fact remains that she bid, she owes, and she is not paying.

Unfortunately you can not do more to reprimand people like this, but I ask all Luna House owners to ban this character on site , Auction holders to ban them from every auction, and website owners to add her to their scammer sections.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is too bad we don't have a real auction system that would sequester gold from your bank or vendor (or account if we ever get to gold as a number on the account) at the time the bid is placed. When the auction is over the system would transfer the item to the winning bidder, pay the seller and release all non-winning bidders gold.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would take the items she won and put them back up on a small silent auction that way those who were initially interested can start again and reach a point where the sale happens. it sucks for the seller not getting initially what it sold for, but they still may since a smaller auction may attract more bidders, especially after the result of the original auction people now may have more gold to spend.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
i would take the items she won and put them back up on a small silent auction that way those who were initially interested can start again and reach a point where the sale happens. it sucks for the seller not getting initially what it sold for, but they still may since a smaller auction may attract more bidders, especially after the result of the original auction people now may have more gold to spend.
I leave it up to the sellers to decide how they want me to proceed since it is their items. Some asked for the items back, others asked to sell to the next highest valid bidders. In all my time of running 40+ silent auctions, I have never had an outright non-paying bidder. Only players who needed to be tracked down due to poor enlish or understanding of the auction system. This is the first time I have dealt with any non-paying bidder with this high level of sophistication with the absolute intention of disrupting, and harming the rare's community. I will comment on this further after I have settled with all the real buyers and sellers from this Atlantic Rares Festival.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
FYI Due to this my Obelisk is still available. I'd like to get a minimum of 750M and I'd probably let the buyout go at 1.5

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all.
This thread is, as some of you are aware, somewhat in breach of our rules. However since it is a rather important situation I have taken the rather unusual decision, as forum admin, of editing users' posts. I hope affected users will forgive me for this high-handed approach.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No worries Petra, the information is readily available and anyone who has been living under a rock and doesnt know whom this low life is, feel free to contact me and I will give you all the information you need to keep yourself safe from this person (I use the term lightly).

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
MEBE WAS HONEST MISTAKE? OVER BID. THOUGHT WAAS MIL NOT BILLION?

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
MEBE WAS HONEST MISTAKE? OVER BID. THOUGHT WAAS MIL NOT BILLION?
Except that it was a series of bids, and they are placed in the format of 750M, 1400M, etc. One errant bid, maybe. Multiple bids on half a dzen items? No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.