• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] NO Unicode input in EC?

K

kalasaka

Hail
Does anyone know how to input multi-language(or UTF-8/unicode speech) in Enhanced client for chatting?

I can do this in Classic Client with no problem.

I am using Chinese and Japanese,and my OS is set in Japanese mode.
When I input Chinese character,some of the overhead words always become unintelligible which looks like [?] on my screen.

I tried to change OS to Chinese mode and it works in inputting Chinese,but now when I input Japanese,some words become unintelligible which the same as in Japanese mode.

It looks like EC become an ANSI Program, though it still can display Chinese and Japanese,but I can't input any other multi-character language which different form OS's Local character setting.(Well,English is always ok.)

I had done google and Forum search for a while but seems no solution. No one talking about it.

If anyone knows anything about this ,plz help me.
Thanks.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very hard to test but are there not different langauge settings in the client itself? I know from KR that there are different charsets for each language you set in the client. I think the langauge is the Options Tab in the Settings.

K

kalasaka

Very hard to test but are there not different langauge settings in the client itself? I know from KR that there are different charsets for each language you set in the client. I think the langauge is the Options Tab in the Settings.
Thanks for reply.
yes,but I have tested it many times.

It looks like the language settings are only for UI's character,not for speech or any other character from outside of Game.
(In this situation,I mean the characters are inputted by player(me),not those built in game.)

So even if I change EC's UI to Chinese,once OS is under Japanese mode,I input Chinese character then unintelligible character comes.

ex:
input :[測試]
onscreen :[測?]
Because of [試] is not Japanese character,so it becomes [?].

This would not happen under Classic Client.(UnicodeSpeech=on)

At first I think maybe EC has a setting string like [UnicodeSpeech=on] in uo.cfg.But obviously EC has a new architecture and no uo.cfg anymore.

Therefore ,I can't input Chinese as I can do under Classic Client.
Changing the UI's Language is no help too.

But curious is displaying Chinese character is fine,even the message is from other people or in game message,etc.

So I do another test.

This time I didn't input Chinese directly by Chinese IME built in VISTA.
I type the characters [測試] on notepad, and then copy it with [ctrl+c].
And then in EC, I past the characters [測試] in game with [ctrl+v].

Damn,It works.

So I can't use Chinese IME under Japanese mode of OS?
But in fact, google Japanese IME does not work with EC,too.

So obviously , EC has compatible problem with multi-character IME.><

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rendering text is problematic for video cards, so the developers probably optimized the client to only have characters for a single language prepared to make it run smoother. They probably didn't think that somebody might want to use two character sets at the same time.

Write a bug report on it.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tested a bit around on Japanese and Chinese Websites, i tried to copy and paste them into the EC and it works fine for me, i dont know the meaning of the symbols but the EC mirrors the symbols 1:1 i have copied them no ?.

I use Windows 7 and my language setting is German.

K

kalasaka

To Gildar:
Thanks for explanation.
I have sent the bug report.

To lucitus:
yes, copy and paste works, whatever your OS's language setting is.

But what I mean is I can't use input method program to input multi-bit characters directly if it does not match OS's language setting.

ex:
If I use Chinese OS and also Language setting is Chinese.Then I can't input Japanese character by input method program.

If I use Japanese OS and also Language setting is Japanese.Then I can't input Chinese character by input method program.

Maybe I should call it IME (input method editor).This program is for inputting multi-bit characters.

Also most of them(except google IME) were built in Windows OS by Microsoft since windows 9x.

I don't know why IME does not work but copy and paste works.
Maybe just like Gildar said,it is for optimizing.

So I think it should be a compatible problem since UO supports unicode/unicodespeech.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its an issue with the client, works fine in just about every other program.