• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

No more herbs?

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I have an old elf thief from about 2005 and haven’t played her since then. We can’t steal herbs anymore in Moonglow? Are the other daily stealables still available? What can I use her for these days in Trammel? I don’t pvp, but she does like killing monsters. Right now she’s training fencing, but what are some good skills to complement her rogue skills? She has:

91 Anatomy
63 Fencing
71 Healing
77 Hiding
100 Lockpicking
92 Stealing
58 Tactics

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't do Trammel-type stealing at all, so I can't be much help when it comes to herbs and daily stealables, sorry. Looking at that template, stealth comes to mind. I have been having some fun with a new template that involves poisoning as well. You could drop anatomy and tactics for stealth and poisoning. I enjoy poisoning things, throwing a smoke bomb, and then I just sit back and watch 'em die. I'd also replace healing with ninjitsu and use cat form while in stealth to heal. Ninjitsu will give you access to other forms that allow you to travel faster while stealthed. Also, you could stone off lockpicking and switch it out for snooping if you ever do decide to do some PvP thief stuff. In the end it would look like this:

120 Fencing
100 Poisoning
120 Stealing
100 Lockpicking or Snooping
100 Ninjitsu (120 with items)
100 Hiding
80 Stealth

These skills can all be raised with jewelry and other items (burglar's bandanna, shadow dancer leggings, etc). I don't use insurance at all so it's nice that burglar's bandanna can be blessed with a CBD which will save you enough points to get ninjitsu to 120.

I know that not everyone likes PvP but PvP thieves are a whole lot of fun, it's totally different than PvP fighting. A friend of mine always says that when you steal, once you get away with the item you have won the battle. People will try to use their not-so-elegant words to try to get you to come back and fight them. It makes me laugh every time considering that you don't stand a chance in a fair fight against anyone, much less a fully geared and seasoned PvPer.

Sorry I can't be more help, but don't trash your thief before you try stealing something from another player. In my opinion it is the greatest and most unique playstyle in UO. I am always here to help and promote the dark arts but I do not discuss our tactics publicly so you can always shoot me a PM if need be.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll double check, but it's less than a month since I last stole herbs in Moonglow. I don't think it's broken.

Dried onions stolen, Moonglow Europa. Most crates had dead wood and regs in, I'd need to steal something wait for re-set to have a chance at herbs.

If you've not tried it, how about stealing from monsters? You know about all the other stealable deco and artifacts in game?
Stealing from Monsters – Ultima Online

Stealing from Town Shops – Ultima Online
Stealing in Dungeons – Ultima Online

Last edited:

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Thank you both for your help. If I can still steal herbs and whatnot I’ll be happy. I’ll look into the ninjitsu skill also. None of my characters have trained in that yet. Will she still be able to gain stealing with in-town crates, or does she need to go into the dungeons?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thank you both for your help. If I can still steal herbs and whatnot I’ll be happy. I’ll look into the ninjitsu skill also. None of my characters have trained in that yet. Will she still be able to gain stealing with in-town crates, or does she need to go into the dungeons?
Doesnt matter the location; it's all about the weight of what you are stealing... technically u can steal stacks of bottles (of proper weight) from a packy in town and gain.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Gaining in stealing is all about weight. Stealing skill / 10 is the target weight you should be attempting to steal. I recommend using a pack llama in fel. Stealing from monsters in dungeons is cool too. Ninjitsu will really help you out with that since it is required for using a smoke bomb. Gems of salvation are really nice to have.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
technically u can steal stacks of bottles (of proper weight) from a packy in town and gain.
This will work but it is not as reliable as going to a weapon shop and buying weapons with the correct weights. The issue is that if you have a stack of 9 bottles, sometimes you may only steal 5. I would rather fail at stealing a 9 stone item because then I don't have to put it back on the packy, I just wait the 10 seconds and attempt to steal again.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This will work but it is not as reliable as going to a weapon shop and buying weapons with the correct weights. The issue is that if you have a stack of 9 bottles, sometimes you may only steal 5. I would rather fail at stealing a 9 stone item because then I don't have to put it back on the packy, I just wait the 10 seconds and attempt to steal again.
I will defer to you here as you are the thief master! :)

I haven't raised stealing in over 10 years and I used bottles at the time which got the job done (but might not have been the most effective way). Your logic seems very accurate though.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I will defer to you here as you are the thief master!
I dunno about all that. I just have a bigger mouth than most of my associates. :hahaha: We are normally creatures of secrecy, but without loudmouths such as myself, the art would likely be forgotten.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't even bother with a packie. I trained it from a bag by my feet on the dock at Buccs in Fel. Single items are good, there used to be a list somewhere of items by weight.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
YES! Using stackables has always been a common method of training stealing. I never understood it. Just load up with the proper weight items in an unstacked form. Far more efficient. There is a list of item weights on Stratics here I was going to send you to but it is outdated. I guess, at some point, some of the item weights were changed.

Hammer pick is 9 stones
Ringmail sleeves are 10 stones
Pitchfork is 11 stones
Lance is 12 stones

As you're already at 92, I'd probably just start on the 10 stone items. Though you will continue to gain with 9 stone items for now. I always preferred to do (skill/10)+1. So once I hit 90 I started on 10 stone items. However, I have no reason to think that it is more effective than the traditional skill/10 method.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Nonel is a true thief master. I have seen him in action... it was hilarious. I could only hope to be as good as him some day.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aww you give me too much credit. As you well know, it's the marks that make us look great (or terrible). :D

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Not a professional thief by any means, but I did skill one up for SA dungeon to grab up some of the dungeon armies back then. Even though these have largely fallen out of common use in suits, they are still very valuable for turn in points!

I skilled my thief originally for pvp, as stinky Pete said it is a very unique playstyle, and not just within UO but within MMO gaming in general. How many games can you play where you can watch a well-coordinated group work together to accomplish a task, then treat yourself to their rewards? And IMO the risk of getting caught and ganked is the most exciting part.

Playing on ATL, though, I was getting ganked a lot more than I was getting away lol... And what's their reward for putting a stop to my nefarious plan? A chance to talk some sht, a stack of smoke bombs, and *their* item back. Haha

-edit- I would also like to add to the recommendation of adding ninjitsu. It's a very fun skill, with a lot of defense and utility. Cat form adds enough HP regen to replace the need for bandages. The mount forms allow you to 'walk' and remain in stealth as fast as an unmounted player runs. Unicorn form does this and also makes you immune to all of the lower levels of poison, which many ppl use to keep you out of stealth. Get the ferret talisman and get a bonus to stealing, if you're not already 120 (very good for dungeon stealing).

Ninjitsu has some very nice perks, even at lower skill levels (but I recommend Skilling it as high as you can). The biggest perk being smoke bombs, available at 50.0. Smoke bombs are a game changer, you will absolutely love them. It will certainly change the way you look at eggs...

Last edited:

Calla Lily

Journeyman
YES! Using stackables has always been a common method of training stealing. I never understood it. Just load up with the proper weight items in an unstacked form. Far more efficient. There is a list of item weights on Stratics here I was going to send you to but it is outdated. I guess, at some point, some of the item weights were changed.

Hammer pick is 9 stones
Ringmail sleeves are 10 stones
Pitchfork is 11 stones
Lance is 12 stones

As you're already at 92, I'd probably just start on the 10 stone items. Though you will continue to gain with 9 stone items for now. I always preferred to do (skill/10)+1. So once I hit 90 I started on 10 stone items. However, I have no reason to think that it is more effective than the traditional skill/10 method.
Thanks for the info!