• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

No longer able to create L-shape/spiral staircases?

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So I've done quite a few of these and at first, I figured it had been a year I was missing a step and looked up the instructions.

No steps missing. Now when you do the four teleporter tiles and place the stairs, the very first step will delete the first two teleport tiles. If you delete the second two teleport tiles, the 2nd tiles of the stairs will disappear, leaving a hole to fall through. You can delete everything but the very first set of steps as seen in the pictures. ACK!

See below.

Attachments

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
been gnashing my teeth for about an hour now, cannot get the first riser to delete... just as you, that first bottom set does not hold the teleporter tiles to delete them, and I'm left with a hole

tried it on freestanding stairs, also, and the first set leaves a hole every time

sooooo...... what did they 'fix' that caused this to break? or are we both doing something wrong?

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I tried with around 8-10 different stair types by this morning. I followed the instructions step by step, both the ones posted here and by Sarsmi that's on my website. Something was fixed. Question is what. And will the un-fix it if it wasn't intentional.

If anyone else can try for us, either on test or anywhere else, I'd be greatly appreciative

W

wee papa smurf

If you mean you're trying to do a L-shaped staircase i have no problems making them.
Sorry bout my awful "paint" skills lol

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When did you try?

Because that looks like the same exact steps I was following, but it doesn't work. I wonder if it's certain stair types only that are working. I really don't feel like trying each and every step type.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just logged onto TC1 and tried to create the same L-shaped staircase you appear to be trying to make, and it worked first time.
If you'd like, I can install the EC and try to record a video of the way I did it, and upload it to YouTube, so you can compare methods?

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well the question would be is if its working fine on test but not on production.

I don't use the EC myself, so I can't say that would be the problem. These are the steps I first followed: Ultima Online Decorating: How to Build an L-Shape Staircase | UO Home Decor

Then I used this one: http://vboards.stratics.com/253370-post3.html

Now the house I am trying to customize is on Atlantic, which would technically be between patches right now as the patch is only live on Origin. It is possible that something was broken in the previous patch and fixed in this patch.

If anyone had a house to test it on on a production server (unless they all updated this morning?) that would be great. I mean I can record what I did and show, but I don't have a free video recording thing to do so heh.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only suggested the EC because it renders through DirectX, which means I can do video capture with the software I have installed currently.
The CC renders through GDI, which can't be captured with Fraps, so it's a case of installing a client I can capture, or installing capture software I can capture with.

Before that, though, I'll give it a try on a production shard.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It worked, which narrows it down to being either a difference between Atlantic and Europa, which seeing as this problem has existed for over 24 hours seems less likely.

The process I used (since capturing and whatnot will take hours) was to:
  1. Place the 4 teleporter tiles at the intended "bend"
  2. Place the lower pair of stairs, so that the "top" two tiles are on the teleporter tiles
  3. Do the thing with the transparency so that you can delete the teleporters.
  4. Place the upper pair of stairs with the lower two tiles where the teleporter tiles were.
  5. Delete the lower pair of stairs
  6. Repeat steps 1-3 to place the lower stairs again

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yup. That's exactly what I tried. I tried with all gargoyle type stairs, sandstone and a stone hued one. When I placed the stair case pointing to remove the lower stairs, only the second tile of stairs disappear. If you try to delete the stairs themselves, the whole block disappears. Very weird.

I'll have to try when I get home. I can test on Origin, really don't want to because it messes up some of my deco. Then I'll try again on Atlantic. It's very frustrating. I spent several hours trying to make it work on Atlantic.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[YOUTUBE]KfbqJ3vmOOY[/YOUTUBE]
Huzzah!

That took a really long time :(

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I see that it might have been my too indepth of thoughts that caused an error. I was placing the teleport tiles, and deleting them on each step instead of how you did it there.

Hmmm. Might need to rewrite teh guides just a bit since it kinda reads wrong (and I just copied them) heh. But I'll have to try it to see. Thanks!

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally prefer to learn the method, as opposed to following guides, so I used the guides as a reference to learn the "rules".
  1. Deleting a teleporter tile the stairs were placed on delete the tile of stairs that occupies the same tile.
  2. Deleting stairs deletes stairs from the full 4-tile length the full set of stairs would occupy.
  3. The first tile of a staircase cannot be delete with teleporter tiles, although it can be deleted if it is "within" a broken staircases 4-tile length, by deleting that staircase.
  4. Teleporter tiles that are to be deleted should be deleted as soon as the staircase is placed on top of it, since certain actions such as changing floors can cause them to be removed.
From there, it's like a puzzle game, figuring out what to place where, and in what order :)

W

wee papa smurf

When did you try?

Because that looks like the same exact steps I was following, but it doesn't work. I wonder if it's certain stair types only that are working. I really don't feel like trying each and every step type.
That was yesterday 10 minutes before I posted :)

Orion_Starlight

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I can make the stairs work but I can't seem to do the landing. I tried the level above but it is invalid. Anyone have suggestions?

honkwomp

Visitor
I can make the stairs work but I can't seem to do the landing. I tried the level above but it is invalid. Anyone have suggestions?
Exactly my issue. I can get the blank spot between the two stairs but have no idea what to do after that. I must be brain dead easy because no one explains how, as if it were so obvious it did not need explaining