• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nights Soliloquy

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The late watches of the night were upon the world, and within ShadowMoore Lady Izznet rested where he had left her. He hated leaving her side, and paused to look once more on her face before slipping his arm from beneath her, and heading out onto the porch. He loved this time of night, and reveled in the sounds of the woods behind the large building.

Looking out towards the stars, a sudden urge over took him. And so, leaving the house, he ran towards the edge of the land to where it surrendered to the black velvet field dotted with myriad stars. Stopping, he raised his arms over his head and began to dance.

It was a joyful dance, as old as his people. Sometimes called Irish step other times a jig. He moved back and forth in effortless grace to a tune playing only in his head. So wrapped was he in the dance, he did not hear the flutter of wings as Nemira swooped in and landed behind him.

The large Kite had often seen Aedon dance. Sometimes in this manner, other times with the practiced ease of a swordsman. And always Nemira had found it a bit amusing. As he turned and spotted her watching, he ran towards her, dropped to his knees and began to speak.

Oh noble bird, she who rides the wind and brings with her dawns kiss I beseech you to hold thy place a bit longer. Let mine eyes revel a bit more in the darkness of the night skies. Say not that I must turn my face from that which is most blessed within my heart and turn towards the cold light of day. Tarry here a bit longer, and join me in dance, or if thou wilt, whistle a tune that I might move my feet to. You see before thee a man, one born to the suns light, living for the most part beneath her rays. And yet I tell you that gladly would I turn my back on this heavenly body and live my life within night's kiss.

But I see you believe me not, and think me to be a fool. Well if fool I be then I am a happy fool. Wilt thou not see my heart glad as once it was? Or must I always follow paths through sun dried lands where never dew did touch?

Nemira stood still watching Aedon, a look of amusement on her face as he went on.

Have I not done all that was asked of me and more? Have I not stood before foes deemed mightier than I and released the fire you kindled within me only to be consumed in the blaze and reborn time and again to do the same thing all over? Dear mother you have taught me that a fire burns within ever man. But need that fire be kindled only by war? What of love? --What of Love?

I know, you must soon herald the day, and I will be doomed to walk in a light which has become bitter to me. I must guard my steps, and do what is expected of me. But the light no longer holds my heart. I do not as many men do look for hope in the rising of the sun. I live now in the hours between dusk and dawn. It is there that my heart doth rest in the tender care of my lady. Please Nemira; grant me but a bit longer to hold night in my embrace.

Standing before him Nemira lifted her wings and wrapped them around Aedon -and lowering her head, whispered softly into his ear. Aedon looked up to his long time watcher, and smiled as she spread her wings wide, lifted slowly into the air, and flew swiftly into the east leaving Aedon to dance along the stars.

Last edited: