• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nightmare taming

E

El_Cid

Having returned To uo not that long ago, I thought I would try and tame some of my own pets. in the past all ive tamed are WW and Drags at the deamon temple many moons ago. I thought it would be straight forward.
I know this is going to sound really silly but im having trouble taming a mare. My true skills are 100.4 tame/ 100 lore. Im using Jewelry to get to 120 taming/100 lore. I have tried invising but over the last few hours in the forest spawn I have tried 12-15 mares. I have only had to attempts that actuallyresulting in tame atteps both failed. Not matter what I try/how many times i just get angry Mares. Invising is not helping. also going forward with my skills atm

Taming 100.4/120
Lore 100/100
Magery 100/100
EI 100/100
Med 100/100
vet 89.2/100
Resist 79.2/100

Based on 700 cap atm for 36 mo account, I know i should try and get a scroll to raise lore to 120 but what should i drop? Resist to 60?
Thanks in advance.

Oh almost forgot Oceania shard fwiw

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have peace on my tamer, though I'm sure invis would work similarly. Do you have a taming macro set up that you can press over and over again? What I do is go up to the mare and spam my taming macro, walking in front of the mare as it chases me angrily. I hit peace (or invis in your case) when I've taken damage or want to turn around. Heal up if necessary, reposition, and repeat. It'll take a few spams of the taming macro to get a successful taming attempt, but once you do, lead-tame the mare until you succeed (or fail - and in that case, invis/peace again and start over).

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't know which client you are using, but I would suggest trying the Enhanced Client. It's super easy to set up a macro that spams the tame skill ten times in a row, and if you do that, unlike a UOA macro, it can be safely interrupted so all you need to do is keep pressing it until you start taming. The Enhanced Client really is the Tamer's Best Friend... :)

J

[JD]

Having returned To uo not that long ago, I thought I would try and tame some of my own pets. in the past all ive tamed are WW and Drags at the deamon temple many moons ago. I thought it would be straight forward.
I know this is going to sound really silly but im having trouble taming a mare. My true skills are 100.4 tame/ 100 lore. Im using Jewelry to get to 120 taming/100 lore. I have tried invising but over the last few hours in the forest spawn I have tried 12-15 mares. I have only had to attempts that actuallyresulting in tame atteps both failed. Not matter what I try/how many times i just get angry Mares. Invising is not helping. also going forward with my skills atm

Taming 100.4/120
Lore 100/100
Magery 100/100
EI 100/100
Med 100/100
vet 89.2/100
Resist 79.2/100

Based on 700 cap atm for 36 mo account, I know i should try and get a scroll to raise lore to 120 but what should i drop? Resist to 60?
Thanks in advance.

according to stratics taming calc:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

120 taming and 100 lore gives 50% chance to tame

keep in mind this is AFTER you have gone through the 'angry' messages

the 'angry' messages are part of taming and no amount of lore/vet/taming will make them go away. just keep pressing tame - spam it. enhanced client works great for this. i can tame stuff without it even attacking me, or attacking me much.

in any case, if you do get attacked, thats what invisibility is for. invis so it stops trying to attack, then continue spamming tame.

the random number generator has a great deal of influence so just keep trying. sometimes you will get stuff first try, other times it will be totally stubborn and take forever.

taming is a madness, of sorts. ;)

if you raise lore to 110 you will get +1 stable spot. if you raise it to 120, you will get 2. probably no need to go to 120 unless you want the stable slot. but you will want to go to 110 lore:

115 taming/110 lore is enough for 99% control on any pet (dread warhorse and bane dragon included)

E

El_Cid

Thanks for all the help so fast! Yeah Im running the classic client. I have just a macro key for taming, I didnt realize you could spam it thought it would reset each time. I will try that might need to make a key for tame last animal. I thought maybe because I have possitive karma, or I was killing Mares it may have been affecting me. Alot has changed Ill get back out there and try again soon thanks for all the advice.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is going to sound really silly but im having trouble taming a mare. My true skills are 100.4 tame/ 100 lore. Im using Jewelry to get to 120 taming/100 lore. I have tried invising but over the last few hours in the forest spawn I have tried 12-15 mares. I have only had to attempts that actuallyresulting in tame atteps both failed. Not matter what I try/how many times i just get angry Mares. Invising is not helping.
The "you seem to anger the beast" message is just part and parcel of taming higher end pets.

Set yourself a macro for taming - in the CC, use skill animal taming, last target. I lore pets I'm going to tame so they're always my last target by the time I tame them. Or use a current target option if you just wanna click the pet to highlight it then tame. You may as well check you have macros to heal, cure and invis yourself too.

A nightmare can be beaten down before you tame it to make the job easier, then it won't do as much damage. Then hold down your tame macro constantly while you walk a tile in front of the mare. Keep an eye on your health, and back off to tame if necessary. Once you get an attempt started you may want to cast invis on yourself so she stops attacking you for a moment. I've often hit the invis key then my heal key to sneak in a heal without interruption ;)

The only difference as you raise your taming skill is that you'll get fewer "anger" messages and break through to start taming more easily. Sometimes though, you'll find a pet that hasn't read the manual and gives you grief even at 120 taming.

also going forward with my skills atm

Taming 100.4/120
Lore 100/100
Magery 100/100
EI 100/100
Med 100/100
vet 89.2/100
Resist 79.2/100

Thanks in advance.

Ok, for purely taming pets you don't need high lore, it's just the taming skill which gets checked. So the 120 lore is optional.

120 real trained taming skill isn't necessary unless you want to tame all the time. I have one maxed out tamer, but the rest I train as far as necessary so they can control the pets they use. So you may want to keep your real skill in taming and lore at 110, as that's a good level for controlling the common pets. When you go taming new pets, you can always boost up to 120 if you like, but it's not always necessary.

I'd probably shave a few points off meditation rather than resist, then you can either shrug off the slower mana regen or add in some low mana cost/mana regen through your armour/kit.

As you're just getting back into UO, I'd say hold off on any bigger template changes until you've had time to play around in UO as it is now and see what options you have. Remember to use Test Centre too - it's great for trying out templates without committing to them.

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Alot has changed Ill get back out there and try again soon thanks for all the advice.
It takes some time to get back into it. It won't be long before you'll be thinking nightmares are a snap. :)

O

Old Man of UO

Alot has changed Ill get back out there and try again soon thanks for all the advice.
It takes some time to get back into it. It won't be long before you'll be thinking nightmares are a snap. :)
As a suggestion, Cu Sidhe are actually pretty nice to practice lead taming before trying something that casts magic. If you don't stay at least one step away and no more than two steps you can't start the tame. Once you get the taming started, you can move up to 4 or 5 steps away before breaking taming. But if you get too close, the cu sidhe will bite your butt!

So, you might get a ring or bracelet with +10 taming and practice with these "safer" critters.

E

El_Cid

As a suggestion, Cu Sidhe are actually pretty nice to practice lead taming before trying something that casts magic. If you don't stay at least one step away and no more than two steps you can't start the tame. Once you get the taming started, you can move up to 4 or 5 steps away before breaking taming. But if you get too close, the cu sidhe will bite your butt!

So, you might get a ring or bracelet with +10 taming and practice with these "safer" critters.
Thanks for that I will look up where they are located. Ive seen them around obviously but dont know where they lurk ;)

E

El_Cid

The "you seem to anger the beast" message is just part and parcel of taming higher end pets.

Set yourself a macro for taming - in the CC, use skill animal taming, last target. I lore pets I'm going to tame so they're always my last target by the time I tame them. Or use a current target option if you just wanna click the pet to highlight it then tame. You may as well check you have macros to heal, cure and invis yourself too.

A nightmare can be beaten down before you tame it to make the job easier, then it won't do as much damage. Then hold down your tame macro constantly while you walk a tile in front of the mare. Keep an eye on your health, and back off to tame if necessary. Once you get an attempt started you may want to cast invis on yourself so she stops attacking you for a moment. I've often hit the invis key then my heal key to sneak in a heal without interruption ;)

The only difference as you raise your taming skill is that you'll get fewer "anger" messages and break through to start taming more easily. Sometimes though, you'll find a pet that hasn't read the manual and gives you grief even at 120 taming.

Ok, for purely taming pets you don't need high lore, it's just the taming skill which gets checked. So the 120 lore is optional.

120 real trained taming skill isn't necessary unless you want to tame all the time. I have one maxed out tamer, but the rest I train as far as necessary so they can control the pets they use. So you may want to keep your real skill in taming and lore at 110, as that's a good level for controlling the common pets. When you go taming new pets, you can always boost up to 120 if you like, but it's not always necessary.

I'd probably shave a few points off meditation rather than resist, then you can either shrug off the slower mana regen or add in some low mana cost/mana regen through your armour/kit.

As you're just getting back into UO, I'd say hold off on any bigger template changes until you've had time to play around in UO as it is now and see what options you have. Remember to use Test Centre too - it's great for trying out templates without committing to them.

Wenchy
Wow Thanks for all that alway appriciate when people share the knowledge they have :bowdown:

E

El_Cid

according to stratics taming calc:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

120 taming and 100 lore gives 50% chance to tame

keep in mind this is AFTER you have gone through the 'angry' messages

the 'angry' messages are part of taming and no amount of lore/vet/taming will make them go away. just keep pressing tame - spam it. enhanced client works great for this. i can tame stuff without it even attacking me, or attacking me much.

in any case, if you do get attacked, thats what invisibility is for. invis so it stops trying to attack, then continue spamming tame.

the random number generator has a great deal of influence so just keep trying. sometimes you will get stuff first try, other times it will be totally stubborn and take forever.

taming is a madness, of sorts. ;)

if you raise lore to 110 you will get +1 stable spot. if you raise it to 120, you will get 2. probably no need to go to 120 unless you want the stable slot. but you will want to go to 110 lore:

115 taming/110 lore is enough for 99% control on any pet (dread warhorse and bane dragon included)
As is Usually the case with my dealings with the rng, Im am not kidding you, my FIRST attempt back there and I got a clean tame and even though a fire ele attacked and I thought I had strayed too far away to keep the tame, I got the mare lol :gee:

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As is Usually the case with my dealings with the rng, Im am not kidding you, my FIRST attempt back there and I got a clean tame and even though a fire ele attacked and I thought I had strayed too far away to keep the tame, I got the mare lol :gee:
Congrats! Bet that was a fun tame. :)