• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News]Township Teleport Hub History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Township Teleport Hub History

On October 27, 2009 Lord Gareth sat down with Katherine [PGoH] from the Catskills shard and began discussing the idea of a township teleport hub. Lord Gareth was a "little afraid", okay majorly afraid to send the idea into Mesanna. Katherine and Rotep [PGoH] gave him enough courage to write the idea and send it to Mesanna.

The message was sent at 12:27pm. At 12:39pm a private message popped into his inbox from Mesanna. She didn't even give him enough time to pace the floor, shake, worry that she hated it, make up little stories in his head about what she would say.....

Once he opened the message and began reading it, he jumped out of his chair (He is sure he broke something but cannot remember) and screamed really loudly in excitement.

Two hours after calming down enough, Lord Gareth shared the news on the Chesapeake Community News forum [CCN] created a run by Merik, located on UOForums. With the post now up for everyone to see, a very interesting discussion began to start.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Re: Township Teleport Hub History

Lord Gareth, Kijustsu Anei Village, Homare-Jima Tokuno Islands

Chesapeake Player Run Cities Connected By Moongates (DISCUSSION)

As most of you know from my Icqs I have been speaking with Mesanna on an
idea I came up with. The idea was originally being done in a house with
house teleporters. We do have one built in the Blue Light Tavern that
connects us to Guardians Gate city already.

After speaking with Katherine from Catskills I decided to bring this idea up to
Mesanna thinking it would be a "no were sorry we cant do that" but, to my
surprise it was a, lets have a meeting on this in game. I was not
given a yes so please don't jump and tell everyone it is going in.

So I will post the idea I presented to her and some concerns and questions I
have already received over icq. Also a few rules. Please note this is just
for discussion on the idea to have something to bring to her at the meeting.
This is not the meeting.

[Also this is posted here on the Chesapeake Community News Section
since I am able to moderate here along with other people. Just in case we
get any griefers. I also figured at least the CCN subforum is more neutral
then putting it in the Village forums.]

Rules for the discussion:

1. In the first line of your post please write what Player Run City you are representing and its location.
(Example) Lord Gareth [Kijustsu Anei Village, Homare-Jima, Tokuno Islands.]
2. You may not attack someones idea or call it stupid and what not.
3. Off shard ideas are welcome. (We may miss something)

Gareth's Message To Mesanna

Hi I'm sorry to bug you this week. Don't worry it is nothing bad. I am working
with some player run cities about creating a Chesapeake moongate system
between established and active cities and such.

What we are doing is linking with the new house teleporter tiles. Below is a
little picture of how I have set it up.

The gate is located inside of the Blue Light Tavern on Chesapeake. (Homare-Jima moongate, Tokuno islands)

Right now we only have one teleporter but, were working on getting more to
link with everyone. I figured I would ask if we have the house teleporters for
it could the EMs lock them down on the grass in a designated area in the
player run cities and such? Each city or village obviously can pick who they
want to link to. Was just a question/request. We can obviously do them in
our houses but, would be seen better if on a grass area and didn't have to
load the house to see the teleporter.

Thank you for reading my idea.

Mesanna's Reply​

Hiya, How about we have a meeting in game to talk about this, I am open to
encouraging RP'ing without leaving anyone out. So we can get all interested
guilds together and have a discussion on this? Maybe come up with
something that will make everyone happy? ~Mesanna

Concerns Already Received

1.my only concern is people claiming to be a town themselves with one person
2.What about a city that is next to another city?
3.what if some city's do not wish to connect to another one

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

This sounds like a great idea, I hope we can get something added to the community. It would be nice if all the player communities were connected despite their differences in types of rp or other activities. There are bound to be differences in opinion but I'm sure we can focus on all supporting the idea of a shard-wide system together. I would very much like Gyldenfeld connected to other player communities on Chesapeake.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Kire
Tokuno, Kijustsu Anei Village

This is a great idea! Connecting the player run cites will encourage a sense of community and will get each town more exposure to new players. Traveling for the new player is not easy, I am sure many of you remember the long walks to a bank.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Winfield
Felucca, PaxLair

I really like this idea of linking player towns. I think the pros outweight the cons. But we have to consider the cons carefully, especially where EA is asked to do things for us and the community (remember, drama can erupt over 'blessed towns' as I know all too well).

What makes a town a town, who decides when to perma-fix a house teleporter to that player town, etc.? While this is a great idea to bring the community together more, and have some EA recognition too, I can also see drama if one town gets a locked down house teleporter, but another does not.

Also, we had rune books to consolidate circles/links to cities. Worked well for several years (years ago) and we did have a large sense of community.

Do we think EA ('gods') involvement is really needed to link our player towns/cities better? Or can we do it as players? Maybe we prove we can do this with our own capabilities for a while (rune books, teleporter tiles) in our player houses, then see what limitations we really have for people to "find" our teleporters to other cities.

Just some thoughts for now...

Winfield, Old Man

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Quote:
Winfield, Old Man
What makes a town a town? Well I have always gone by what you have written because it makes the most sense to me.

Cities and Towns

Player Cities and Towns are wonderful places of activity, comraderie, organization, and overall fun! Many times, the activity in a player town rivals activity in a town of the Realm, such as Jhelom or Serpents Hold. There are usually several qualities that make a player city or town:

*Housing exists in a central area, sometimes also with a few distant locations for special purposes (like a building near the ocean to offer dock services). This housing is organized in ways that make sense for overall town management. There are usually a town hall, tavern, commercial vendor establishments, monuments, and sometimes even a jail!

*A working Government, usually with a mayor to organize the citizens and guild(s) so decisions can be made on the progress of the town.

*Citizens and/or Citizen-Guild(s), who make up the Citizenry of the town. Some towns will have several Citizen-Guilds or just one. Others will also have a town stone for people who wish to just join the Town, but not a specific Citizen-Guild.

*Town Culture, where each town is usually unique in some fashion. Some are role-playing towns aligned to evil, good, or neutrality. Some are focused on events. Others are combat (PvP) or adventure (PvM) towns. Still others are quest towns. Many combine aspects of two of more of these qualities in their culture. The common denominator in most towns is they have a sense of respect and comradarie.

*Town Activity, where the town does have citizens around at least a few times each week, usually with some announced meetings or events.

*Web Sites and/or Message Boards, where there is a way to communicate with their citizens, patrons, and visitors. The web site or board usually gives information about what the town is designed for, who the mayor is, and how people can get involved with the town.

The difference between a city and town
is usually size and/or type of government. Cities usually have a very structured government, where towns are possibly less structured

One city getting teleporters locked down and another does not problem can be easily solved. At this point its a well known fact the player run cities of the shard are Guardians Gate, PaxOku, Gyldenfeld, Kijustsu Anei, PaxLair, Dragons Watch and Silvervale. So at least that solves the problem for the introduction.

Now adding a Village, Town, City etc may need to be worked on more since we will have people jumping all over proclaiming this is a town etc. I would say make a set of guidelines. Give it to the EMs and have them do the linking. They are apart of our shard but will have very little bias when it comes to making such decisions.

I would say a guideline and checklist.... something along the lines of
Winfield's description of a town or city (Do they meet the items outlined in this description?) Public Community Active? (Is the village, town etc actively promoting community on the shard?)

Do we think EA ('gods')
involvement is really needed to link our player towns/cities better? Or can we do it as players?

I know in our village we have always had the city rune books for all player run cities on the shard. I believe others do as well and, yes I do know we can do this with house teleporters in our own homes etc. I do believe that if it wasn't changed to you having to load the contents of a house by stepping onto it the house teleporter moongates would work well. It's just people passing by or not entering the house will never see it. Even when working on PaxOku city over the last how many ever years I still had people this year saying "This is a city?" heh Plus having it stand out does also promote the other communities and I know we all work close together.

So I guess this would also help to recognize that a player run community does exists here. Just my thoughts and I spent a good long while looking for that town and city posting lol. Like I said I always felt it was a good guideline.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

A good read with lots of finer points, but I think it would be better to leave fringy ends to be combed out rather than measure and cut on the edge, at least for starters, IMO. If this idea gets adopted(hopefully), it will be up to Mes and the EM's to figure out how this could scale to all shards and be applied as equitably as possible(altho 100% agreement is impossible on anything, lol)

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Phoenix[DWxC]
Felucca, Dragons Watch

Just my opinion and I will probably get flamed ....but with the crystal portals there are no longer long walks to a bank or moongate. With the 12-yr vet reward there are teleporter tiles to connect anything you wish. Why have I paid for 12 years to earn this right to have the option of everyone being joined together? Just a question.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Lord Gareth, Kijustsu Anei Village, Homare-Jima Island.

[Phoenix]
No flame at all you are absolutely right. That is why in my original proposal we the community would have to supply a house teleporter to do so. Now I know not everyone in each community can get one or have the ability to afford to buy one but, I am sure with all of us working together we can help each other.

[Redstar]
Agreed but, we can always offer up suggestions on the rules/policies so they have something to go on. They wouldn't have to work off a blank sheet of paper. Thats why I kinda wanted to have a general proposal written up by all of us to present to them and discuss. Rather then having 6 different city leaders plus tons of citizens all trying to talk about it at once, we would kinda have the idea proposal along with suggestions on rules etc to kinda give them an idea.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Luna Rossa [SAGE]

Well, although I have not been part of this fine community for long, I completely support this idea. I have always had a long term goal of building up a strong role-player community and keeping them united and doing events, scenarios and the like. Even those that happen to have different beliefs and lifestyles, say that of the savages, orcs, etc., have a place in a community and linking them all just helps to let people know that they are all on the same level playing field so to speak.

I think what sometimes people forget it that a community does not always share the same lifestyles and that it is our differences that keep us interacting together and keep things interesting. Just so long as "drama" is left for the prime time TV shows and not in game.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Mesanna
Killing a blue, EA

Hello Everyone,

I have a personal matter I have to take care of this weekend but I look forward to meeting with everyone and coming up with some good ideas to bring together the community and towns.

I was going to throw out the idea to get things moving along of maybe offering to put up town banners?

Looking foward to talking to everyone soon!

Mesanna

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

City banners eh?
Did my saying Katherine from Catskills give away where I got the courage to run this idea by you? heh

I saw one at City of Olympus on Catskills near the Trinsic swamp. I drooled *smiles*. That sounds like a fabulous idea. I know our village would be so happy to have one in our area. Thank you Mesanna for throwing that idea out there. I love it and then people can paint their banner with you. *smiles*

I believe this is what Mesanna is talking about. If I am wrong I am sure she will let me know. *smiles*

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Daria Blackmoore
Trammel, Guardians Gate

Guardians Gate would love to host a tele to each and every community in the realm. This is really a great idea. We've already linked to Anei. I find it a very novel idea promoting a bit a tourism within the cities. However the current cost for these tele sets are rather up there. If the gods wish to bless us with favor we certainly shouldnt turn them down or disperage them in any way.
I dont think that we should dwell on guidelines and requirements for what a city is. This isnt a world changing event just a great way to further the player run city experience. Perhaps seeing that such things are possible may inspire more player run towns to emerge showing that the work that it takes to create a thriving guild city environment is worth the time and effort and more than just our imaginary boundaries. We have long waited for a in game city system and if we willingly participate perhaps this could be the beginning of such a thing. Heck I'd like to see a cluster right in the middle of lunas inner walls easy access for all!

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Thank you Daria for your input. I feel like I agree with the we should offer them some kind of draft on player run city but, also that I am kinda sure they have something already on guidlines for it and we dont need to offer it. Perhaps you are right that we should not focus anything on who is a player city and who is not. Just on the idea of promoting eachother and becoming closer as not just different city communities but as the Chesapake community.

Maybe we should design something with paint and insideUo on an idea of what the gates would look like.
(I know I always find an excuse to make things with InsideUO and paint)

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

I'd be happy with just a regular moongate, maybe hued a bit different so ppl will know it's not a normal one, this doesnt have to be a deco extravaganza, lol

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Sari-Liane

My 2 cents worth... It would be amazing to have banners and moongates at each of the player run villages/towns/cities etc. However...

wouldnt it be cool if we had a 'town center' a small area with the banners, the moongates and I dunno.. a town cryer? A bit of deco etc to make it so that it stands out a bit.. not just a couple of bits but a real focus point in the area. Add a notice board maybe... something that a real village has...

Now that would be amazing (And I'll put something together on TC to show what I mean also)

Ta

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Sean Silverfoot
Felucca, Dragons Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancred RedStar
I'd be happy with just a regular moongate, maybe hued a bit different so ppl will know it's not a normal one, this doesnt have to be a deco extravaganza, lol

I'm thinking tiles are a better option, rather than having X number of larger moongates. Thinking a smaller version of what we use in Jhelom, with each tile having a town symbol. And I would suggest a sign for each "end" of town. Just some thoughts.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

Great idea - simple to implement and won't cause confusion with "real" moongates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoot
I'm thinking tiles are a better option, rather than having X number of larger moongates. Thinking a smaller version of what we use in Jhelom, with each tile having a town symbol. And I would suggest a sign for each "end" of town. Just some thoughts.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Alright well since we will start discussing other things I am going to take everything everyone said and type up a formal proposal to say at the meeting on the City Connection Project. Obviously run it by you guys a few times to hammer everything out and make sure it has what we can all agree on or accept.

Everyone has done a wonderful job so far working on this idea on the forums and through icq. I hope it gets approved. Also will go through a few checks that I was given by someone from another community which are.

1. Is it exploitable in a way that you can benefit and other players can't?

2. Is it something that gives you an unfair advantage in some way over regular players?

3. Is it reproducible for ALL who can demonstrate a similar level of commitment/desire/deserving?

4. Is it EASILY implemented? Since Mesanna must put all 'statics' in herself that are anything but regularly crafted items.

5. Does it make sense, and does it actually promote community and interactivity?

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

John Duke
Felucca, PaxLair

The town banners are an amazing start, and if that is all the town get, Mesanna that would be more than most have ever gotten. So, please, with all your might: town banners!

My concerns regarding the gate system:

1) My primary concern is exclusion, what standard and precedents should be established in determining moongates. There are guilds now that own buildings next to each other, and if this idea comes up, they could at any point call themselves a town, with the only purpose of getting special treatment. Additionally, towns come and go, linking a permanent moongate to a town this about to slide out is redundant. At the same time, I want everyone to feel like they were treated fairly, and there wasn't some kind of "Chesapeake council" deciding who gets what.

2) Of course, like I stated, towns come and go, and it will require maintenance, to remove those that have gone and to add in new towns.

3) At some point, possibly immediately, player run establishments will want a moongate to their place implemented, and again, under what pretenses are they allowed or not allowed to have a moongate?

The EMs were working on getting a permanent rune systems locked down at Luna Bank, what happened to that? I wouldn't mind that at all, would allow for an awful lot more inclusion.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

These were a few locations thought of for the central gate locations. Neutral areas that easy access. Some thought that having five gates in each city would be to much. So this is an alternate idea that was sent to me. So let us know what area you think is best.

Luna Fair Grounds

Lycaeum, Moonglow

Luna Stables

New Haven City

West Brit

Each community location

With this idea each Community would have a single moongate connecting to a central location. I put up a 4x4 hedge half box around it so that people simply running by or fighting a monster would not step into it then be confused on where the heck they were. Mesannas idea for the city banner I included so people knew where they were. Obviously each community can decide where they want theirs to be.

(Added)

Oh and the flag design I barrowed from Baja that Em Seppo placed. The people of Kijustsu Anei Village wanted something like that for its area.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Sean Silverfoot
Felucca, PaxLair

Keep in mind it needs to be accesible to both red and blue players. I'm still not a fan of large moongates.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Aye, what I have gotten from Winfield so far would be PaxLair city linked by this moongate system and have its own building setup to link to Dragons Watch and PaxOku City. So would only be one felucca city linked to it. Hense no reds would have a reason to use it.

Also yes, I know some player run communities will not want to link to it and they do not have to. It will be up to each community to decide if they wish to or not. Those not wanting to don't have to and those wanting to be apart of it can link to it. The option is there for everyone to decide.

Oh doh were you talking about the Big moongates Vs teleporters? If so then I gave a response to those wanting to link to a moongate system heh.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

How about a few different ideas then just a moongate or a teleporter.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

Cart. Horse.

I think we should hear more from Mess, like a green light even, before trying to predestine too much stuff.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Aye, Just wanted to have the proposal include a picture or two so we bring her a well thought out idea. perhaps a few options as well.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Ado the Theif

Thanks for the examples Gareth. They're all pretty accessible. I like the fairegrounds and brit bank best for the gate area. I think Luna is the easiest place for anyone to get to from regular moongates so why not. Not to exclude its an em gate in an em area. Also think its great that some of the cities are linking together via gates or something of the sort. Not a whole lot of people know where cities are (or care to look hard for them) so a moongate or something of the sort would be great for cities to connect, promote rp, and populate themselves with the people getting interested.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Winfield
Felucca, PaxLair

I like the ideas... I think the biggest purpose behind this, in priority order, is:

1. Being able to "identify" that a player city/town exists. Thus I like the Banner idea, even if there were no teleporter/gate systems supporting it.

2. Add to the City/Town Banner a teleporter tile to a Central location. That central location should be on Felucca and Trammel, so perhaps a gump that asks "Felucca" or "Trammel" central site. There will be lots of times wandering around Trammel or Felucca and want to get to a city/town anywhere. Felucca currently has PaxLair City & Dragons Watch, and I imagine when things get rolling ... some good PVP or dangerous towns/cities will be developed ... so can't exclude Felucca from the design.

3. Re-instate the Chesapeake Shard player-town council, that we informally had many years ago... where mayors got together every so often and worked together on ideas, events, RPing, etc. This is what helps pull the player community together more than anything I think... the leaders, or key people in our community, getting their heads together once in a while.

Anyway, just some more ideas ... which obviously go beyond mechanics for teleporters/gates. I tend to try to see how things fit into the "goals and spirit of the community" as our community keeps changing.

Winfield, Old Man

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Lord Angus
Trammel, Guardians Gate

Good day fellow citizens,

I would like to throw my hat in the circle.

I think this is a wonderful idea. This is a great opportunity to boost the exposure of chesapeake communities and attract new interest in the player run cities. I do not think this is way to by pass 12 year reward teleporters as they will not be linked from one home to another or random places in general. the home to home link is still the exclusive domain of the 12 year vet (or someone with 60 mil). Do the main residents get an unfair benifit? I do not believe so, players such as myself, Daria Blackmoore, Lord Gareth and many more have the resources to teleport, recall, or sacred journey to any place in the realm we see fit. Who gets one and who doesnt, well I think Winfield had a great paper on what constitues a city. I think for those who wish to start a city up, should have an application process (even current cities should apply) meeting some very basic guidelines. Even if some of the big auction houses rally to create a town, it will still be connected to the player run city system and not the main moongate system (at least thats what I believe) which means that players would have come from a player run city to visit the event. We should not let jealousy or animosity play any part in our decision on who gets a gate.

With regards to the deco aspect of the moongate, we should leave that up to the hired help. If they think tiles are best, so be it. if they think moongates are best, then let it be.

For those who do not agree, you can decline a gate, don't ruin it for others that think this is worthwhile project.

I love the banner idea too!

Angus

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

I know everyone is really excited and/or curious about this idea, approval and the get together with Mesanna. I will send her a message today on what day and time she thinks is best this week. (If not this week will figure out something else.) I'll also run by her a sorta format to setup for the meeting. Perhaps have time for each community to speak so everyone gets a chance to speak.

I will have a complete formal idea done either tonight or tomorrow incorperating the community feedback we got here that is most wanted and merge it with my original proposal. That way we can also have something solid to pick apart, take away or add to.

Again this isn't the meeting but, we wanted to have something solid to present to Mesanna for discussion so were not just all over the place and can move it along at a general community pace.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Kire

Here is an idea for the towns after they are linked. Each town tends to have a vendor house, we could agree for each town to have a vendor specialty like armor, weapons, rares, etc. Doing this could get the circle of towns more traffic that might otherwise go to Luna. If I am looking for armor, I know GG focuses on armor or KAV has weapons.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

City Gate Connection Proposal To Mesanna

After reading the forums, icqs and in game discussions I have written out a more formal proposal. Everyone seems eager for the community meeting with you. Obviously I only spoke to people to sort of get a feel and try to have a general organized discussion when we all meet. I do know one thing from experience. We will most likely get a few naysayers and people that can come up with more complaints off the top of their head. Then we can give answers to that are meaningful and well thought out. So I really hope this proposal, even if not approved opens everyone's eyes to helping build our shard community and perhaps even spark some peoples interest to start a player run town.

Proposal: Linking currently established, active and community oriented player run Villages, Towns and Cities together.

Who:Communities already well established with a history of in and out of game community building. Along with promotion of the internal general community. Communities that are public and welcome everyone not just a select few. Player run communities that are a collection of individual people, groups or guilds. Also a well established area connected by buildings owned by various players.

How: By use of land placed teleporter tiles, moongates or sparkle teleporters. Which leads to a central location inside of each player community that wishes to link to it.

Why: Promote and support each others community work in the Chesapeake shard area. To also have a physical representation of connection between each community. Which will also gives each player run area easier access to each other and an easier ability to be located by new or returning players wishing to be apart of a player run experience.

Maintenance: With this idea a certain amount of simple maintenance would need to be done. Over time new communities will arise wishing to be connected to such a device. Along with inactive communities over time already connected to it needing to be removed. A simple check list could be done by the shard EMs to see if the community area is able to receive this connection. Which will be sent up to the head of the EMs, Mesanna for implementation. This check list will however not have EA/Mythic officially recognizing or say what constitutes a player run city. Keeping EA/Mythic out of any debates or problems on having to officially recognize a player city. It will however decide if a community should be connected to this device.

Examples of connection:

And something to make you smile. We were discussing the gate idea and talking about what your limitations are and such and funny comment came about. *smiles*

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Kire

I like the tiles, have them labeled for each town. As for maintenance, set it up like tithing where it costs 1000gp a day (30k a month is not that much), if a port goes unpaid for a month it is gone. Thanks for the good work Gareth

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Lady Hester Tarian
Tokuno, PaxOku

I personally prefer the red blinky lights. Maybe a pretty green moongate would also work though.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

Any update on when Mess would like to meet up and have an introductory chat about this idea? We need to know where the house will be before we can start worrying about what color to paint it.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

I say we paint it Luna white with a splash of purple (hehehe) for those of you that remember the saying. I have not gotten official word for the meeting time yet from Mesanna. Still on standby. (While were on standby I hope we don't get the flight attendant woman from Meet The Parents. LoL)

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Ado the Theif

I think its good for us to talk about the whole thing before hand so we'll be much better prepared for this meeting to come with mes. People are getting excited for such a link between cities so its not a bad thing for overthinking anything or going into too much detail. cheers~

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Kire

I like having so many people getting involved, this is awesome!

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

I disagree to the extent that Mess has not said a single word on this publicly yet. If people build up their expectations too much, or try to overengineer it, Mess could easily say it's going to be much simpler or even not something to pursue at this time and then people will be gravely disappointed and/or angry. No one, not Mess, the devs, your fellow UO players, no one wants a shard of angry players. Hence, why I reiterate not to put the cart before the horse and let Mess chat with us first before we unroll grand designs, rules, defintions, etc. I know Patience is not one of the eight Virtues, but in this case, it should be, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado the Theif
People are getting excited for such a link between cities so its not a bad thing for overthinking anything or going into too much detail. cheers~

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

CharGar
Tammel, Pitmuck

I also agree with Tancred only because of the rife it will cause to other shards as well. Take it slow, and I have only seen a handful of people posting in this thread. So not sure there is much community excitement. Taking the wait and see approach as well, and will definately wanna go to the meeting with Messana.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Aye I agree to an extent. I believe everyone here knows this is a proposal which with any proposal can be turned down. But at the same time we know EA/Mythic is listening so why not throw around our ideas. Should the idea be turned down just having having a simple discussion on sparks or telepads at least that discussion and idea was seen by EA/Mythic which is still exciting.

From Mesannas post on the first page (Mesannas post) she says "I look forward to meeting with everyone and coming up with some good ideas to bring together the community and towns. I was going to throw out the idea to get things moving along of maybe offering to put up town banners?"

Which even I overlooked that while trying to keep the discussion to the proposal. So I really do hope people toss around some ideas. Even Mesanna threw out an idea to offer town banners. So it is something I believe to get excited about and at least have your ideas written down and maybe even improved upon by others in the community. Perhaps you forgot something in your idea and someone will see that and write "hey what about this?"

I know that the entire community isn't posting here but, I also know that every active player run town leadership knows where this is and has the option to join in on the discussion. They also have the ability to inform their citizens or guilds and people apart of their community. Ive sent out icqs and tried to show people where this is at as well. As I wrote in the other post people are also talking about things over icq and maybe in forums that are not public or we do not know about. I know Ado held a discussion on it at the All Shards Tavern Night. So, I dunno. I do understand not to get to excited but we were told "coming up with some good ideas to bring together the community and towns." and even her idea for the town banners as well. Which those could also not be implemented but, still having all of our ideas heard is better then us just thinking about them and never having the chance for it to be accepted,

So this discussion isn't the meeting but, could perhaps give you some help on ideas you may have that you would like to bring up at the meeting. Those are just my feelings on it.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Luna Rossa [SAGE]

Well I personally feel that the best defense is a good offense. We should have all our ducks in a row and be able to sit down and say in a clear and concise manner for example, "we would like tiles or banners to each qualified town", "we feel this is what it takes to be a qualified town", "a city guide stating the main nature of the town", "this is how it will benefit not only our community but that of the Chesepeake community as a whole", etc.

Sitting down to the chat and then discussing all this would almost be a waste of her time. We should know what we what or expect and how we plan to handle any problems which may occur or be prepared to have the removed if there is too much of an issue made. No one goes into a business meeting not having decided on what their opinions or stand on a particular matter is and we should not be the exception.

As for being the only shard or the first to implement such an idea is great! It would put us in the history books per se for UO as leaders in the making of a better more unified community.

These, of course, are only my thoughts and opinions but if there is anything that I or we can do to make this matter flow a bit smoother and quicker along, lets face it EA has much on their plate right now and they would welcome a well prepared idea the a group of various opinions, the better it will be.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Kire

Well said Luna! I think this process is a great way to improve the game. Why wait for a handful of developers to steer where the game goes when we have thousands of veteran gamers who have some awesome insight.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

As Gareth mentioned previously, I'm sure someone(s) on the dev team has at least peeked at this thread. I'm still looking forward to the first brainstorming chat when Mess has the time to set aside and speak with us all on what kind of things can be done, or even what the overall intent is. Town banners would be great, Gyldenfeld has been using the same banner design(and house sign) for over 5 years, but I certainly wouldn't make that a sticking point - let's just see what Mess has to say before we write such a long grocery list.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Lord Angus
Trammel, Guardians Gate

Greetings,

I think it is safe to say a good portion of the population does not visit the forums and of the ones that do, few post. I have talked to many players who are excited about the prospect.

I think it is great that folks are getting excited. playing this game for over a decade, it is nice that I can still get excited about it. regarding others, if it makes them happy planning things out, then let them. It is prudent that players realize moongates may not happen and be prepared for that too.

I still think it is great that we have the opportunity to be heard about receiving tools to help us enrich the game environment. I have several thoughts on events that revolve around or incorporate player city moongates.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

For those that haven't seen the meeting is set for this Thursday at 9pm est. Blaze tent at the Luna Fair Grounds.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Hmmm the banner is called Mesanna town. How to I apply for citizenship in this Mesanna town?

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Tancred RedStar
Gyldenfeld, Trammel

Maybe she'll show up in a giant bouffant with a Wheel of Justice and build a thunderdome.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

Winfield
Felucca, PaxLair

I look forward to the meeting on Thursday and I hope to be there. I think it's a great opportunity to show our community spirit and interest to work with EA/Mythic for our player community ideas. Implementing some type of method for linking and recognizing the existence of player towns has been a long-sought-after idea since the beginning of player towns. Such a prospect can and should generate a lot of excitement.

I think the crux of the matter boils down to how such a "recognition" system would be implemented by game mechanics, EMs, and/or players. This I think is the hard part, and could generate the most debate and discussion. I wonder if EM Mesanna has thought about this, decided, or wants to hear our ideas.

There may be at least three ways to recognize the existence of a player town (easy to hard depending on your perspective):
1) Easy for players, hard for EMs ... It could be as simple as Mesanna or our EMs saying "Let's keep this simple, just tell me at an HOC meeting which towns exist and give me runes. We'll check them out and decide who gets banners/teleporters."

2) Moderate for players, moderate for EMs ... In a "Sosarian" sense (that does involve the EMs), perhaps player town leaders need to meet and invite Queen Dawn or her "Minister of Interior" and convince them in-game they have a realistic town (not through messageboards and web sites and such).

3) Hard for players, easy for EMs ... Players decide what player towns exist and are to be established. Then either tell (or recommend to) the EMs which towns to recognize, or give players the mechanical means to link up the towns to two central public locations (one on Trammel ruleset, one on Felucca ruleset).

I personally like the idea of involving the players as much as possible
in shard community development, recognition, and decisions. I've looked at things this way regarding UO:
1) EA/Mythic builds the stage (programming) for all to play in;

2) EMs help connect/adapt the stage to the player community through events, quests, and interaction, thus keeping things "fresh"; and

3) players "build" the player communities through guilds, alliances, and towns.
UO programming mechanics support guilds and alliances pretty well, but don't directly support "towns" yet. We've asked at Town Hall Meetings about "Town Stones" but have not seen any programming for them. So players had to be imaginitive about "recognizing" towns based on available mechanics (house signs/banners, town halls, etc.). I think this discussion with EM Mesanna is a great starting point to move UO into a new phase of "player town" concepts, even if the simple question at the moment is "how do we get banners and teleporters".

Sincerely,

Winfield, Old Man

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

I am excited for the meeting. I plan to stick myself in the top corner and hide out heh. Just listen to what everyone else has to say. I do like the idea of (two central public locations (one on Trammel ruleset, one on Felucca ruleset) I think we all know if it was just in felucca reds would camp the central location or use that fun bagball blocking. As for the location of it, I would like to see it put somewhere public where players would see it. I think were Mesanna has her town banner is a good location. Its an area that all towns could use as a neutral site and will help promote EM events at the Luna Fairgrounds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.