• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] The Phoenix Rises (by Cat Crimson)

G

<p align="center">
</p>

The Phoenix Rises (by Cat Crimson)</p>

It started as a whisper... a quiet voice... a few words dropped here and there, about the emptiness of the Moonglow Royal Britannian Zoo on Drachenfels. Newly returned to the lands of Sosaria after long weary journeyings elsewhere, I decided to see for myself. A nice leisurely stroll from the moongate to stretch my legs was just what I needed. Cuffing the odd cheeky anklebiting mongbat out of the way, I arrived and wandered about to find that the rumours were true... the Zoo was empty and desolate. Not an animal to be seen. Only bare pens, ornately engraved but fading plaques describing the long forgotten occupants and the sound of the wind ruffling the nearby trees.</p>

It might have stayed this way forever... except for a few hardy souls who were determined to revive the Zoo, not to let it be a parable for Drachenfels' supposed deadness. After a little hesitation, I joined them, knowing there was not much I could do to help but that even a little time and money was worthwhile in a joint effort. There were indeed some enticing gifts to be had for those that accumulated enough points but the real reward would be seeing the Zoo filling up again once more. </p>

As the days went on, I saw more and more people come and go, donating money or stray animals to the cause. The word was spreading, through many different and mysterious ways - including the hundreds of runes Lady Jessica Goldfox dropped throughout Sosaria during her tireless taming sessions. There were some incredibly generous donations, some from old friends, some from new, and some from strangers who we did not even get a chance to find out who they were. The sight, sounds and even *coughcough* the smells of the varied species of returning occupants were a joy to the senses. </p>

Not only was the Royal Zoo coming back to life, but there was so much pleasure to be found in the people that hurried to and for helping. More congenial conversation in a few days than I have had in Sosaria in many a long year. People from all kinds of places speaking different languages but all giving unstintingly of their time and their money. Assistance, advice, laughter and kindnesses exchanged left right and centre. The sadness I had felt at returning to these lands and seeing so many places I knew altered or people gone began to lift. </p> <p align="center">
</p>

I was also highly amused at the response from my unicorn when I pondered aloud as to why so many animals who often prove too haughty or unwilling or downright aggrieved when us feeble mortals try to persuade them to share our lives, were so meekly agreeing to trot along in such great numbers to the Zoo. She let out a noise that was halfway between a silvery snort and a choking laugh, and whispered in my ear that the blue box at the Zoo, unbeknownst to the taming populace, acted not only as a collection for gold but as a magical transporter for animals, birds and reptiles - once &quot;transferred&quot; to the box, they were teleported exactly back to where they came from and therefore had no fear in stepping up to it when taken there... she knew she could trust me with this great secret... As I would not tell the other humans... OOPS! Sorry, Feste! </p>

But the best was yet to come. Late Wednesday night, I arrived at the Zoo wearily leading yet another secretly snickering unicorn up to the blue box… I could not believe my eyes... 13'795'103 points... Tier 11! My mouth fell agape wider than any village idiot's... I rushed inside... yes... there was the Sphynx... and best of all... the Silver Steed! I could hardly see this rare and beautiful creature for the tears running down my face. </p> <p align="center">
</p>

Later I found out that this amazing creature was there due to the generosity of one André von Saxon, who donated all his hard and honestly earned cash partly as a gesture against those of dubious honesty in our lands whose greed eats away at our community and economy, partly as a devoted tribute to someone very dear to him. Thank you Adam Randall for not only telling us of your friend but also your own contribution and your spreading the word about the Zoo across other worlds. Thank you EVERYONE for helping, whether it be with a couple of wolves or a handful of loose change or with hours of taming and millions of gold donated, to all of you with great hearts and deep pockets. From 0 – Tier 11 in less than two weeks, and to be Number One in the <a target="_blank" href=http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7494934>Madam Tina Small’s Zoo point by Shard</a> scroll, is a wonderful achievement, but from a shard that has a smaller population and has been derisively called “ dead “, it is outstanding. Let us keep not only the Zoo collection but the community spirit going! </p>

~ <a target="_blank" href=http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showprofile.php?Cat=&amp;User=120639>Cat Crimson</a></p>

*</p>

Der Phoenix aus der Asche (von Cat Crimson)</p>

Es begann mit einem Fl&uuml;stern... einer leisen Stimme... wenige Worte hier und da, die die Leere im k&ouml;niglichen Zoo von Moonglow auf Drachenfels beschrieben. Erst k&uuml;rzlich zur&uuml;ckgekehrt von einer langen anspruchsvollen Reise, die mich m&uuml;de und abgek&auml;mpft werden liessen, wollte ich dies mit eigenen Augen sehen. Eine erholsame Pause um meine m&uuml;den Beine zu strecken war genau das, was ich brauchte. Ich schubste den aufdringlichen Mongbat aus dem Weg, der sich mir anschliessen wollte, als ich beim Zoogel&auml;nde ankam - es lag trostlos leer und verlassen da. Kein Tier war zu sehen. Nur nackte K&auml;fige mit Schildern, auf denen die einst vielbestaunten Bewohner beschrieben waren, w&auml;hrend der Wind die Bl&auml;tter in den nahestehenden B&auml;umen leise umwehte. </p>

Es h&auml;tte auf immer so sein k&ouml;nnen... w&auml;ren da nicht ein paar wenige ausdauernde Seelen gewesen die den Zoo wiederbeleben wollten, um die Ger&uuml;chte, die sich um Drachenfels' Leblosigkeit rankten, zu zerstreuen. Nach kurzem Z&ouml;gern schloss ich mich ihnen an, in vollem Wissen, dass ich selbst nicht allzuviel ausrichten konnte, aber dennoch mit ein wenig Zeit und Gold meinen Teil beitragen wollte. F&uuml;r die Anstrengungen lockten verf&uuml;hrerische Belohnungen, aber die gr&ouml;sste der Belohnung war f&uuml;r die Teilnehmer wohl im Zoo wiedereinmal volle K&auml;fige betrachten zu k&ouml;nnen.</p>

Die Tage vergingen und ich sah mehr und mehr Leute beim Zoo vorbeikommen, die Gold spendeten oder Tiere f&uuml;r den guten Zweck vorbeibrachten. Die Kunde vom Einsatz f&uuml;r die k&ouml;niglichen zoologischen Anlagen hatte sich verbreitet, wie immer auf mysteri&ouml;se und geheimnisvolle Art. Hunderte von Runen hatte Lady Jessica Goldfox in Sosaria ausgelegt, w&auml;hrend sie gleichzeitig stundenlang Tiere z&auml;hmte. Es gab unglaublich grossz&uuml;gige Spenden, zum Teil von alten Freunden, aber auch neuen - und nat&uuml;rlich diverse von anonymen, leider unbekannten Spendern. Das Betrachten, die Ger&auml;usche und sogar *husth&uuml;stel* die Ger&uuml;che der neu im Zoo eingetroffenen Spezies waren eine helle Freude f&uuml;r all unsere Sinne.</p>

Der Zoo war zur&uuml;ck ins Leben gerufen worden und es war einfach nur grossartig, bei diesem Vergn&uuml;gen mit dabeizusein. Die dabei entstandenen Gespr&auml;che waren allesamt von sehr sympathischem Charakter, mehr als ich in manchem langen Jahr in Sosaria erfahren hatte. Leute aus allen Schichten, Leute mit verschiedenen Sprachen schlossen sich zusammen und stifteten grossz&uuml;gigst Zeit und Gold. Unterst&uuml;tzung, Ratschl&auml;ge, Lachen und G&uuml;te wurden rechts und links ausgetauscht. Die Traurigkeit die ich gef&uuml;hlt hatte, als ich in die L&auml;nder zur&uuml;ckkehrte, und sah, wie Land und Leute sich ver&auml;ndert hatten, begann von mir zu weichen.</p>

Ich am&uuml;sierte mich ebenfalls k&ouml;niglich, als ich die Antwort von einem meiner gez&auml;hmten Einh&ouml;rner erhielt, als ich, in Gedanken versunken, mich wunderte, warum sich die Tiere oftmals stolz und unwillig gaben, wenn wir schwachen Sterblichen versuchten, sie zum Mitkommen zu bewegen - hin zum Zoo sie dies aber ohne zu Murren auch taten. Das Einhorn schnaubte in einer Mischung von silberfarbenen Schnaufen und einem fr&ouml;hlichen Lachen, und verriet mir, dass die blaue Box im Zoo nicht nur zur Sammlung f&uuml;r Gold gedacht war, sondern auch als eine Art Transporter f&uuml;r die abgegebenen Tiere fungierte: Wurden die Tiere dort eingel&ouml;st, kamen sie augenblicklich an den Ort ihrer Geburt zur&uuml;ck, weshalb sie diese Reise nicht zu f&uuml;rchten brauchten. Das Tier wusste, dass es mir dieses grosse Geheimnis anvertrauen konnte, und dass ich es meinen humanoiden Zeitgenossen nicht verraten w&uuml;rde... OOPS! Sorry, Feste! </p> <p align="center">
</p>

Aber das Beste stand uns noch bevor. Am sp&auml;ten Mittwochabend als ich am Zoo mit einem weiteren zahmen Einhorn ankam und zur blauen Box lief, konnte ich meinen Augen fast nicht trauen: 13'795'103 Punkte, Stufe 11! Meine Kinnlade klappte herunter und in diesem Moment muss ich wie der gr&ouml;sste Dorftrottel vom Donner ger&uuml;hrt dort gestanden haben... ich rannte zu den inneren Gehegen... ja... dort war die Sphinx... und das Beste von allem... das silberne Pferd! Ich konnte dieses wundervolle Gesch&ouml;pf kaum sehen, denn die Freudentr&auml;nen rannen mir in B&auml;chen &uuml;ber die Wangen.</p>

Sp&auml;ter erfuhr ich, dass dieses fantastische Wesen auch dank der Grossz&uuml;gigkeit von Andr&eacute; von Saxon dort war. Er hatte all sein hart und ehrlich erworbenes Gold gespendet, als Zeichen f&uuml;r jemand ganz Besonderen, und auch als Zeichen gegen diejenigen, die in unserem Land mit dubioser Energie zugange waren und t&auml;glich dem gemeinschaftlichen Zusammenhalt und der Wirtschaft auf Drachenfels ein Bein zu stellen versuchten. Ein Dank sei auch Adam Randall ausgesprochen, nicht nur f&uuml;r die Geschichte &uuml;ber deinen Freund, sondern auch f&uuml;r deine eigene Mitarbeit um dem Zoo wieder zum Leben zu verhelfen. Ein weiteres Dankesch&ouml;n gilt nat&uuml;rlich JEDERMANN da draussen, der/die tatkr&auml;ftig mitgeholfen hat, ob mit ein paar W&ouml;lfen oder mit dem restlichen Taschengeld oder mit stundenlangem Z&auml;hmen - einfach an alle mit grossem Herzen und tiefen Taschen. Von Stufe 0 bis Stufe 11 in weniger als zwei Wochen und zur Nummer eins in <a target="_blank" href=http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7494934>Madam Tina Small's Zoo-Datensammlung</a> - das ist eine wundervolle Leistung! Und dies auf einem Shard, der nur eine kleine Population aufweist und der gerne wiedermal als &quot;tot&quot; bezeichnet wird.</p>

Lasst uns nicht nur den Zoo sondern auch den Gemeinschaftsgedanken wiederbeleben!</p>

~ <font size="1">(translation by Medea)</font></p> <p align="center"><a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/newspics/drachenfels/080225_zoo1yearago.jpg>
The Moonglow Royal Zoo, as it was one year ago (06/02/03), and is again today
Der k&ouml;nigliche Moonglow Zoo, vor einem Jahr (03.02.06), und aktueller Stand heute
</p>

C

Cat Crimson

ooo ! Nice job on tidying up the pics Medea, looks much better ! And thanks so much for the translation !

G

You're very welcome, Cat... I couldn't resist to translate your very nice story! *bows* Thanks for sharing!

I

imported_Legacyee

What a great story.

Just right for such a great achievement.

G

Thank you for the story, and congratulations to all who contributed