• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Spotlight: Mayor Kelmo and Iantown

G

<html> <head> <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="content-type"> <title>Iantown</title> </head> <body> <table style="width: 70%; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204);" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204);"> <div style="text-align: center;">

</div> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;">Several years ago I lived in the land known as Chesapeake, if you could call it living, Just when I thought all was lost, someone rescued me from my painful existence. My savior was an unlikely source - he was an evil vampire mage named Asmodi. He took me to his home in Iantown and told me “This is your home now.” Asmodi was right because Iantown is my home, it has been ever since that fateful day. There is not a time that goes by that I don’t thank the gods for the kindness that Asmodi &amp; the residents of Iantown bestowed upon me during that time. It was that kindness that inspired me stay and start my life anew.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> Most days I wander around to see what is new with my neighbors and take a few peaceful moments to sit in the park. When I passed the tavern, Mayor Kelmo came outside and invited me in for ale. Since the opportunity was there, I decided to make this a business meeting… I rummaged through my backpack and began writing all that we spoke of:</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> I cant believe I have been here for over two years now. How long have you been here Kelmo?</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*smiles*</span> Not nearly long enough that is for sure. I reckon I have called these lands my home for about three years. An amazing three years, with many highs and some few lows. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;">*Kelmo’s glance turns to the window and the park that makes up the heart of Iantown*
</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"></span>
<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> You &amp; I have traveled a great distance from our original homelands. What brought you to this part of the world?</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*chuckles*</span> Many would say because I lost a bet, I suppose. Before I made the arduous journey to Siege, I resided in the realm known as Catskills. I lived and worked in the dangerous lands and I toiled alone. I was adept at avoiding attention; you know what I mean. I had gathered many riches and treasures, to be sure. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;">*Kelmo nods*</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">Yet, it brought me little comfort after some time. Trinkets galore I had, yet no one companion. I had associates that I was in communication with. It was difficult to get together with them due to the separate lands we lived in. Try as we might, visiting other lands, was just that, a visit. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">Life had become pretty mundane. Then one of my associates had the idea to start over. It was most likely Asmodi’s idea, but to be honest with so many folks involved and the excitement of trying something new, I do not recall.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> I arrived here in the land of Siege not long after you, maybe six months at the most. I remember the days of wandering my old homeland, alone and unfulfilled. But now I try to put that memory away somewhere deep in my mind so that I will never think of those wasted years again.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> Let me say, with out Asmodi, Ragman or Paradox, I would not be here. Many others came at about the same time. I traveled here to be among friends, companions, some of who, I will never forget. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;">*smiles*</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> Even if I wanted too.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">
<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*nods*</span> I know the feeling. There are several people I met here that I will never forget either. They have earned a permanent spot within my heart.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">So how did Iantown come to be?</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> Asmodi had found this vast open plain on the western shore of Gravewater Lake in Malas, shortly after that, a shanty town sprung up in that meadow. We staked out large areas and threw up what walls we could afford. I didn’t even have a roof in the beginning.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina: </span>When I arrived, Iantown had a few buildings and homes constructed already. Were those first few months, in this strange new land, a struggle?</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> Aye, it was a struggle in many ways. We gathered what gold we had and found we were severely wanting in that department if we wanted to build a town. But as the population grew, so did the possibilities. Everyone pitched in as they could. Some had a few resources here but the majority of it was raised one log, one hide and one ball of yarn at a time</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;">*shakes head with a smile*</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"></span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">There were other struggles. Many folk here wanted to welcome us and size up our resolve to stay. There were so many folk that helped us and some that hunted us. Aye, there were struggles aplenty. No journey worth the effort is without struggle. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">
<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> Ahh, words of wisdom from the Mayor. What exactly do you do as Mayor of Iantown? </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> My duties are largely ceremonial. The town and its citizens are quite capable of tending to their own business. To be honest, I have the best job in town. I get to preside over the fun things that all the other folks work hard to make happen. It is good to be Mayor at times. <span style="font-style: italic;">*smiles*</span></span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*laughs*</span> A man in office… you know Kelmo, women love a man with power...</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*laughs*</span> Aye, I am single. I have collected some broken hearts in my time though. <span style="font-style: italic;">*smiles sadly*</span> I have had mine broken as well. Let’s just say, I am not ready to settle down. <span style="font-style: italic;">*grins*</span></span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina: </span>Of all your days here in Iantown, what is the most memorable, the most pleasant, memory you have?</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*drifts into a thoughtful memory*</span> I would have to the banquet we hosted for our nearby neighbors, the elves of ICE. It was our first endeavor as a group. All of the planning and politics that went into it was tremendous. It was absolutely incredible. There are so many experiences and tales to tell. I am proud to be forever associated with Iantown and all that have ever called Iantown home.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> Along with great joys, comes great sadness. Iantown, the folks who call this place home… have suffered a tremendous loss and will always feel the heartache.
<span style="font-style: italic;">*Severina notices Kelmo's expression turn to one of sadness*</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">
Kelmo:</span> It is always sad to lose a friend. Even sadder yet, when a friend is taken to realms we mortals cannot tread. Folger’s passing is the most heart wrenching moment I have had in my duty as Mayor. Iantown is a testament to the man. As long as there is a Siege, there will be a town that stands and honors that man. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">*tries to hold in her tears and fails*</span> I always called Folger, “Dad”. He was very much a father figure to me. I loved him, I still do. I have mementos, a note he left me on my bulletin board here in town, items he crafted… things that I hold dear. Not a day goes by where I don’t think about him and miss him.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo:</span> There are other sad times, moments, but they pale in comparison. </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Severina:</span> I will always be a resident of Iantown – as long as Iantown stands, because of people like you, Sissy, Miss Tea, Patty…etc</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Kelmo: </span>My only hope for Iantown is that it will always be a part of the community that is Siege. I could never hope for more.</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"><span style="font-style: italic;"> We sat in silence for a long while, lost in thought. I am sure we were both doing the same thing… remembering all the wonderful times we have experienced in Iantown.</span> </span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> <div style="text-align: center;">
<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> </div> <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> I would also like to make note that Iantown has a chapel, theater and other structures that are suitable for various events. If anyone is interested in hosting an event and would like to have it held in Iantown, please contact Kelmo in advance to set something up. The folks of Iantown are always happy to assist with events and they are very detail oriented.</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> Several Iantown events are in the works, keep an eye on the Siege event calendar.
</span> <div style="text-align: left;"><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255); font-style: italic;"> For more information on Iantown or I^A:<span style="text-decoration: underline;"> </span><a target="_blank" href=http://www.ianstormalliance.com/>http://www.ianstormalliance.com/</a><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> </span> </div> <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);"> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
</body> </html>

M

Mandolin

Wow.. great job, Sevi! Excellent interview and a trip down memory lane!

G

There are so many great images of Iantown that I wanted to include - but I didnt want to overload the article with piccies. haha.

Here is one from an Iantown event several years ago. Sannio was at this one with Mayor Kelmo on the stairs of the tavern...

Sannio:

F

Fidessa

Great report! It brought back my memories to Iantown and it's ppl.

Thanks

G

Thanks, Sevi. Really nice interview.

In my 2 years on Siege, Iantown has ALWAYS been doing stuff! When I first started, someone was always gating me there, but I wasn't exactly sure where it was. I thought it was such an adventure the first time I got brave enough to run there by myself from Umbra (which took an embarrassing amount of time, as I get lost in game really easy). That was fun though, because otherwise I wouldn't have seen the mountain cave, the pixie grove, the desert, etc. I remember wondering who the ICE folks were, when I encountered their homes on the edge of the desert.

I would also like to point out that Castor is BLUE in that pic of the event! I can see my mount on the porch, (finally found my avatar inside). I know I probably came close to chatting poor Rykus to death at that event.

-Skylark

M

Mandolin

Heh... I have similar memories, Sky. Kelmo or Sloan would always gate me to the Iantown mall.. but, I never knew where it was either. So, one day when neither one was on, I braved it out and ran from the Yard to Iantown. Took me at least a half hour to find it. When I finally got there, I thought I was being clever, shopping hidden til this fellow named ToeJam kept revealing me. heh.. I can still remember the feeling of sheer panic. After that, I was running back and forth to Iantown constantly til some silly gal named Katharine told me "Why you always running around like that?? I can gate you, you idiot!! Sheesh! Men!" *snickers*

S

skypuppy

On the behalf of some of the residents of Iantown I would like to Thank You Sevi you did a great job on this article. Brought tears to my eyes as i remmebered how we use to all be and think about those that we sorely miss. But also gladdens my heart when i think about the good times we had and hope there will be more soon.

K

kyrie_m

Nice report severina! Even though it makes me sad. It also inspired me to go through some of my old screenshots (which made me even sadder), but I want to share some of my screenshots that brought a smile to my face...

From our first ever festival, I am not sure if it was in Spring of 2004 or winter of 2003?

The first event was the fashion show:

We had a special guest, Sannio, he gave us a special bush that was taken away within a day or two..check out the bottom of the screenie. We were new to this and held this event on the roof of kelmo's tavern...it eventually turned into a massacre with people being poison fielded to death.

We moved the show to my Spiritual Center and Retreat and then began the next event, the bachelor auction. We had a couple more later on, but I don't have any screenies. All of the money that was raised at each one by I^A was donated to NEW. This was by far my favorite selling pitch by any bachelor/bachelorette at our auctions.

This is from our first Gollem War, probably about a year later. At this time, the festival events were being held at Sissy and Khamul's wedding chapel (I've tried uploading it many times, and it keeps tripping out and moving the bottom right portion of hte image over to the left..weird).

Iantown hosts Brook and TC's wedding, ceremony performed by Kelmo, in the spiritual center:

Our first guild champspawn, ru on the roof trying to boost our morale:

G

*cheers*

Very well done indeed!

Iantown's been special to me for a long time, even though I was never a citizen.
(Unless you count squatting on the edge of their desert border for a few months)

Some of the most memorable folks on Siege have come from, or still live there, in my humble opinion!

But aye - a fine report indeed!

M

Mandolin

heh... love the new siggy Otto!

And, You're right... many "colorful" characters have been raised in Iantown. To this day I still direct new players in that direction.

K

Kat SP

Iantown is indeed, a very important part of Siege history for many of the shards inhabitants. Older and newer player's alike, have much history there and even I can feel it each time I am there.

Very nicely done Sevi!

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great Interview Sevi! It was great to see pics of different buildings, especially the pool. I think by far that is the *greatest* idea for a public building. evah! *hats off to Ceribus and Sissy for all their hard work on it* Reading about Folger brought tears to my eyes. But it was good to remember him, too.

I would love to see you sit down with citizens from every town.

Delly, great pics!! The golum war pics are from the Founders Festival in 2004. The only reason I know is bc I am wearing an A^I tag.

B

BennosMorales

Excellent interview. *tips hat* Way to keep memories alive!

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol..... Live in the past more?
Anywho enjoy the holiday weekend...

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

One need not live in the past to relive/enjoy fond memories. When you are just a bit older, you will understand. Besides, Iantown is very much in Siege's present.

Here is one of the Iantown Mayfair - last year's I believe. (Note in the lower left of this screenie, poor Anissa is being hounded by Memnoch to judge who is sexier - him or Castor. She went with a diplomatic answer.
)

And people gathering for an event last August:

I need to get some more webspace. I have so many recent screenies, and no place to put them.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

Anywho enjoy the holiday weekend...

[/ QUOTE ]

Past? Iantown is still alive and well. Maybe you have spent too much time inside Luna? You need to get out more.

M

marichessy

Excellent story Sevi! A great bit of history that should never be forgotten. I am sure Iantown will always be a part of Siege.

Good questions and very colorful layout!!

G

Great story Sevi!

For what it's worth, Iantown will be around as long as Siege is around. Period.

3 years and counting..........