• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Origin PvP Tournament UPDATED

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
April 15, EM Laurana and EM Faine Morgan updated the PvP Tournament page on their website. The updates are noted below:

Now that Origin has the PvP House with Arena, EM Laurana and EM Faine Morgan are planning a PvP Tournament. The following is the initial outline from their website UO - Origin Events, and they would like your feedback. Please do not post your suggestions, ideas, etc. here on Stratics ... Go to their website, emfainemorgan.com, and use the feedback link at the top of the pages. There's also an Origin PvP Tournament link at the top of their homepage. The EMs have said, 'This first round will be a 'test' of sorts to see if we can make it work in Fel and if there is anything that needs tweaking.'

**Disclaimer - This is still a work in progress

Look for the start of the Origin Tournament of Champions PvP Event to begin sometime the weekend of April 24th. More details will be posted as they become available.

In the meantime, we wanted to post a general outline of how the event will run. Again, this is still a work in progress so please check for updates. Feedback is welcome using the Feedback Form on these forums.

Right now, we are thinking this will run weekly or bi-weekly with the championship being held quarterly. However, this depends on the amount of participation from the players, the number of entries, other events that may be taking place, etc. In between tournament times, we may run variations on the fights with possible team competitions, gm only armor and weapons, naked fights, etc.

***********Begin Page Updates****************
Changes currently under consideration
Divide mage bracket into two sub brackets - Pure Mage and Hybrid Mage
Increase time limit before Sudden Death from 3 minutes to 10 minutes
Allow a limited number of petals, grapes, etc. in all brackets EXCEPT Pure Mage up to Sudden Death
Allow an unlimited number of potions in all brackets EXCEPT Pure Mage up to Sudden Death
Depending on number of registrants, attempt to complete tournament in one weekend or, at the most, two consecutive weekends.
Again, the above changes are under consideration and we are still welcoming feedback. We hope to have the final details nailed down early in the week.
Clarification - While there will be a plaque placed that will change quarterly, there will also be “statues” or named items placed that will stay in the house. They will stay on display or in a box on the award table. These will NOT be overwritten but, instead, be stored with access available for viewing for all time (or until the house fills up). We’ve placed a couple of examples on the table at the PvP Arena. We are NOT able to award these items to players but it is intended that they become a permanent part of Origin’s history.

***********End Page Updates******************

Brackets

Mage (See Page Updates For Mage Brackets Under Consideration)
  • Dexxer
  • Archer
  • Last Man Standing
  • Pet Fights broken down by category
    • Low Level Pets
    • Mid Level Pets
    • High Level Pets
(Pet fights will have a separate tournament to be announced at a later date)

Ladders
  • Elimination Style Competition
  • Two people from each bracket fight a round
  • One set of rounds will be fought each week for each bracket
  • Winners of the evening’s rounds advance each time resulting in the final Championship Fight
  • If there is an odd number of contestants, one defeated fighter from a previous round will be chosen via a roll of the dice to play the odd man out in a wild card match
One set of “rounds” will be fought each week for Mage, Dexxer, Archer to determine the group to go on to the next elimination round. (See Page Updates For Changes Under Consideration)

Three minute time limit on matches. If there is no winner at the end of three minutes, it will go to Sudden Death. No healing, no bandaging, etc. except for cure during Sudden Death. (See Page Updates For Changes Under Consideration)

No orange petals, grapes, apples, etc. allowed (See Page Updates For Changes Under Consideration)
No precasting
Match ups will be determined by roll of the dice. Highest roll matches with lowest roll, etc.
Winners of each weeks’ rounds will have their name recorded in a book locked down at the arena

Battle Royale
At the end of each week’s competition, the participants from the week will fight in a Battle Royale, everybody in, last man (or woman) standing wins the week.
The winner of each week’s Battle Royale will be recorded in a book locked down at the arena
At the Champion’s Fight, all winners from previous weeks’ Battles will compete to be the Origin Battle Royale Champion.

Trophies
Trophies will be locked down at the arena and engraved with the Champions’ names and the time period they won for. For example, Bubba Gump - Origin Champion PvP Mage - 2nd Quarter 2009.
There will be one trophy for each bracket plus the Battle Royale.
A duplicate trophy will also be placed in the Award Hall in Malas. (See Page Updates For Claification)

House Rules
No fighting outside of the pit
No looting
No giving of murder counts
No rez killing
Contestants stay in the observation area until their name is called
No interference with matches from anyone not involved with the current match

**Any violation of the house rules will result in immediate banning from the house with the possibility of the offender being disqualified from the tournament.

Multani

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If these are the rules then this tournament doesn't even deserve to be held, so far the only good rule I have seen is that there is to be no enchanted apples.

3 minute time limit on a match? One set of rounds a week why delay everyone is there and ready just do it in one night, do a different bracket the next week.

Make the prize worth fighting for? Who really cares about having your name on the wall... Let it be something we can wear.

And no I am not going to the EM website to discuss this, they can come here.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If these are the rules then this tournament doesn't even deserve to be held, so far the only good rule I have seen is that there is to be no enchanted apples.

3 minute time limit on a match? One set of rounds a week why delay everyone is there and ready just do it in one night, do a different bracket the next week.

Make the prize worth fighting for? Who really cares about having your name on the wall... Let it be something we can wear.

Agreed. Waste of time unless rules are changed and an actual reward is offered.

Pan Arcane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with the fact that the way the tournament was completed on Baja was plain stupid.

Three weeks of total domination for a plaque that they're just going to overwrite for the next person.

In the old EA tournament, all across the servers the people that "won" the tournaments got Champion titles, most of them taking advantage of the inbalanced game that UO was at the time (120 magery = exp/ebolt kills).

Can't the winners get cool tags or engraved earrings or something?

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then they can read what is said, and fix their broken tournament.
Gosh man! If you don't like the rules don't play the game. Not everything has to be about geting something? I hear that you are a pvper of some renound on the Origin shard, I would have thought you would want to show off your prowess. And no the EM can't post to the boards, they are not allowed to.

C

Crystal Canyon

The reason they ask you in the original post to go to the EMs website and use the FEEDBACK post, was because they are not allowed to post here because of their positions.

Believe it or not, the FEEDBACK post is exactly what it implies it is...it is to get FEEDBACk from the players on events and suggestions on how they are set up. If you don't abide by the rules and use the outlet they have given you to voice your opinion, you really have no legitimate complaint. That is the same as complaining about who was elected President, but refusing to go vote. LOL

I dont think that all events are set up only to pass prizes out. I was under the impression that some of the events are meant to be a way of dealing with the ongoing complaint about "being bored", "nothing to do", etc, etc.

One of the first complaints I heard about the EMs events were that "well they arent in Fel...what about us? Looks to me like that part got attention...what more could you possibly ask for??????

C

Crystal Canyon

Mayhap something to Ebay?
What about a engraved weapon, armor, or statue that they can actually display in their own house on top of the whatever is engraved at the Museum house?

It used to be that a prize like this was something to be proud of. Winning any type of competition is great, but I would think winning one at Pvp would be the Ultimate!

(I can see it now...a statue dressed in a white dress, with pink hair, and it says " Crystal Canyon, 1st place winner of Origin's First Pvp tournament". ROFL) If you guys don't straighten up and just go join, this could happen! Better think about it!!!!! :p

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not require stuff. Adrenal rush and the thrill of the dance is good enough for me.

M

Michael Wolf

What about a engraved weapon, armor, or statue that they can actually display in their own house on top of the whatever is engraved at the Museum house?

It used to be that a prize like this was something to be proud of. Winning any type of competition is great, but I would think winning one at Pvp would be the Ultimate!

(I can see it now...a statue dressed in a white dress, with pink hair, and it says " Crystal Canyon, 1st place winner of Origin's First Pvp tournament". ROFL) If you guys don't straighten up and just go join, this could happen! Better think about it!!!!! :p
Worse yet Ghost Might win! Well that is if No One shows up...

The Em's handed out Sashes at the Easter egg hunt and one thing mentioned was that sashes are the only article of clothing they can engrave. So I imagine armor or weapons are out of the question. However, that said, a sash engraved to the winner would be cool too, and any house deco item, a bust maybe or small statue that reads the player's name and tournament date and 1st place or winner or something would also be cool. But keep in mind they might be restricted to what they can hand out.

C

Crystal Canyon

Worse yet Ghost Might win! Well that is if No One shows up...

The Em's handed out Sashes at the Easter egg hunt and one thing mentioned was that sashes are the only article of clothing they can engrave. So I imagine armor or weapons are out of the question. However, that said, a sash engraved to the winner would be cool too, and any house deco item, a bust maybe or small statue that reads the player's name and tournament date and 1st place or winner or something would also be cool. But keep in mind they might be restricted to what they can hand out.
Well the weapons could be engraved with an ingame engraving tool as could the armor and statue. This was kind of what I was thinking the EMs could do. But a sash would be great also!

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not require stuff. Adrenal rush and the thrill of the dance is good enough for me.
I agree, Viquire.

Something we can not overlook is EM Laurana and EM Faine Morgan have made several announcements that they will not be handing out 'items' as prizes at their 'mini' events (ie: shard specific events, put together for Origin by the Origin EMs, such as this PvP Tournament), instead rewards for those events will be recognition of some type.

This is not a policy unique to Origin. Shortly after the EM program was reintroduced a couple of months back, players were complaining to EA that EMs in general were giving away too many items. Evidentally there were enough complaints to cause EA to modify the EM program as to what can be given for rewards, and when.

Multani

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the best part is how multani doesnt even play the shard anymore lmfao
If there was something worth fighting for at this tournament I would enter, but it seems that the prize will just be a stupid sign you can't even keep.

M

Michael Wolf

Personally I like the marker instead. Long after you've quit playing UO players will see that at a certain time you were once the best. And if you are still playing you can take someone to arena or the Award Hall and show them your trophy there.

E

Eyes of Origin

Why does everyone want items everytime they show up at an event? =/
I agree the titles would be neat though.
This was discussed at the last EM meeting and they said that its not something they can do right now, but maybe in the near future they can?

I know something would be nice for the player to have and maybe we can think of something to do that the EMs cant at the moment.
A couple people already mentioned something about the weapons engraver and now we have the armor engravers as well. So I am just adding to their posts.
We could engrave an item for them so they have a keepsake of the event and still put a plaque up at the Arena and the Memorial hall as well. We could do this till the EMs are able to give the titles and maybe still do it afterwards.

We could engrave an item with a pvp title like,
"Multani, Origin Pvp Mage Champion April 2009" :p
and let the winner choose a piece of armor or weapon to be engraved.

If everyone would be willing to agree on something like this, I would more than willingly put up the gold for engravers or possibly anything else we could decide on and I am sure there are others on shard who would as well, but lets make suggestions instead of complaining about what you dont get and come up with something that you could get.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good suggestions, Eyes of Origin.

It has been my experience the EMs are trying to work with the players, they listen, they do what they can to make changes, they adapt. They are asking for input and feedback ... click here to find out what they're asking.