• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Memorial for Goodman

G

A Memorial for Lord Goodman will be held at the Goodman Library in Malas, on Thursday September 29, 2005.

Times will be 10pm EST which is 9pm Central and 7pm PST.

Please come and light a candle in Goodmans memory.
Gate will be offered a little before 10 at the Britain bank on west side please don't be late.

Coordinates to house location is 84,49N - 56,52E</p>

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I could attend. Unfortunately I will be at work. But my thoughts will be with you all.

A

Aleena of Scots

Can anyone help me? I've never had to contact an EM before. After talking with Pink Dragoness (the person who first found out of Frank's death), we want to perhaps get a special dedicated item in the works to be displayed in Goodman's Library as a memorial, hopefully to be put up on display at the memorial service. How would I contact an EM (which one and how) about the creation of a special statue entitled "An obsidian statue of the Studious Scribe, Lord Goodman." Please, if anyone can help with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

G

I'm not sure how you get in touch with one, but I like the item. I crafted a valorite key and named it "In rememberance of Lord Goodman. He gave us keys to this land" It is now locked down on a podium on my porch.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I plan to be there... and for Aleena, no offense, but I would much rather see something permanently placed somewhere as a memorial than an item that can find it's way into the wrong hands. Weirder things have happened, but I'd be some pissed off if I saw somones memorial item for sale in eBay. Not that you would do anything like that, but you never know what might happen. I just don't think that it should "belong to anyone" in that way, if you take my meaning...

G

try pming wilky maybe? not sure if he can dso anything but might be worth a try .
i know someone was talking bout seeing into getting the library blessed , but i dont think that matters anymore theese days since the houses dont decay if the account is active. dont the account have to be active on a blessed house too?
i think i remeber something like it.

but i seen a nice library sign on the blessed library in fell an added one that be cool too
he would have loved that.

i logged down a candle with a book for frank on my library steps.

S

SupaWooHoo

<blockquote><hr>

"An obsidian statue of the Studious Scribe, Lord Goodman."

[/ QUOTE ]

*is willing to bet that youll see this item or one like it soon.*

Is pretty safe bet, Id say. We do have a "Barton" statue after all.

Our EM folks seem to try to use shard specific opportunities fairly well and if ever anyone deserved recognition, its Goodman.

I know the next time Im at an event, Ill surely mention it...if there isnt one already.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to work that night also, so I will be unable to attend, but I have placed a candle on my porch in his memory. I have been dropping books though to pass the message along about the memorial service. I would like to see them bless the library and make a special memorial statue there. That way it would stay in game for all time.

S

SupaWooHoo

<blockquote><hr>

I would like to see them bless the library and make a special memorial statue there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would much prefer a statue maybe at a library. If there's a library near His beach that would be best, if not there, at Brit.

As we saw with the mage tower, blessed buildings sometimes go kaput and, like Darkholme, I would hate to see some scum trying to make a buck off of this.

Besides, which house you gonna bless? His gift wasnt so much the house as the idea the houses held.

A

Aleena of Scots

I completely agree with you, Supa. I thought a locked podium with the staue on top, on both fel and tram beaches in Magincia would be fitting. I've tried to pm a few EMs but no response. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone gets the message.

W

wavace

Well I dont have a character on Atlantic, never will, and ive never posted on here before(Siege only for me thx) , I just wanted to drop in and pay respects on the boards to Goodman.Siege had recently lost Folger, who was from what I understand a great man with a loving wife(Miss tea). The Siegers can understand this horrible loss and mourn with you all. My condolenses(spelling) to Goodmans family and to the Atlantic shard.

L

lisa_atl

I'll be there, will probably spend a fair part of the day marking runes for my own library in his honour.

G

So I have come to pay my respects to a man who was as tolerant as he was generous and all I get for my effort is continuos harrasment to stable my beetle.

I came in and sat on the far side of the room out of the way, on my bug, because I don't have any open stable slots, not that it is anyone else's business. I am now being harrassed and threatened with a ban (ohh.....I'm shaking in my elven booties) and only one player (Thank you Drake) has bothered to put our pet differences aside and remind the other little ****s what we are all there for.

I am completely disgusted with you those of you making a big deal about something that is absolutely of no concern to you. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

To those of you who can look past a few extra blue pixels (miners whith no room in the stable, items in your bug and a healthy fear of losing it no doubt), I applaud you, the rest can bite me.

C

Chinalilly

I managed to capture a screenshot of his house tonight, without everyone talking. Perhaps the news reporter here can use it in their write up.

Goodbye my friend.

T

TheMadCelt

When people arrived there were people on the first floor telling people to dismount their pets. It was a courteous thing to do and everybody else was asked to do it, and did so. When you come strolling in on your beetle and refused to dismount, the message that was given is that you didn't care. Granted this probably isn't true, but perception becomes reality, its a fact of life. Your lack of maturity and understanding about this doesn't help much.

That area, like much of Malas doesn't have a spawn. You could have dismounted your beetle and told it to stay outside of the house, or on the second floor if you were *that* concerned. It would have been just fine.

Whether or not you agree with the reason you were asked to dismount, the people organizing this, as well as some other players politely asked everybody who came in on a mount to dismount it and stable it. Like it or not you should have respected it. How fair is it that everybody else was asked to dismount and did so, yet you didn't think you should have to? Your beetle and your items would have been just fine for the short time the service lasted. Don't assume your extenuating circumstances take precedent over the wishes of the people who organized this memorial service.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a few as well, please excuse the size dialup users, but I wanted to preserve as much quality as possible...

Just before the ceremony began
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Game Master showed up to pay his respects. Although I know some people paged to see if we could get a little crowd control as there were a few jackasses there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Directly after Richters eulogy, which was quite good and fitting...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was quite glad that I went...

Rest in peace Goodman!

G

Actually, the people who were hosting it said it was fine, but it was all the other know it alls that kept spamming. If you had paid attention, this was a free event in rememberence of someone who impacted all of us, not some namby pamby auction.

The courteous thing to do is to thank those who came for showing up and paying their respects, not to pancake and moan about the way they chose to do so.

There may not have been any spawn there, but that doesn't mean my bug would have paid me any type of mind and stayed where I put him. Try broadening your world scope to accomodate those who aren't in your exact situation. I know Goodman would have.

G

Sorry I was late, I'm working late at the office tonight and didn't expect some things to take so darn long.

I'm glad I got to meet those that I did.

K

Kitty Black

It was a beautiful memorial, ignoring the disrespectful of course… I never really knew Goodman; I had seen him from time to time, but never really got to know him… The things people said about him tonight made me wanna cry, It’s truly a sad thing to lose him. May his goodness, and legend live on!

G

It seems someone could not put their petty differences aside....

I signed the guest book last night, and logged in this morning to go add my guild letters GACH to it, and found a small blank area on page 24 where I wrote something last night. I know it was there last night, I opened it to change it, saw it, then had to leave to get to the other office right away as they noticed I was missing.

I checked the entire book - what I wrote is gone, and it's now sealed.

That's pretty low.

I

imported_Grifty McBegg

*Shakes head*

That's is low.
Unbelievably low.

... Karma eventually catches up with someone like that.
I could say more, but it wouldn't be very civil.

I'm sorry I couldn't attend... Best wishes to Goodman's family, and good luck to those pushing for a memorial, I'm with you on that one.

His library was as much a part of Atlantic's history as other establishments, and he unquestionably deserves some recognition for his contributions.

G

I was unable to attend as well due to work. I'm glad everything went mostly smooth....

<blockquote><hr>

I signed the guest book last night, and logged in this morning to go add my guild letters GACH to it, and found a small blank area on page 24 where I wrote something last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really disturbs me, people <font color="blue">T</font>hat <font color="blue">C</font>razy who can't leave well enough alone for one night

Lord_Sith

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I signed the guest book last night, and logged in this morning to go add my guild letters GACH to it, and found a small blank area on page 24 where I wrote something last night. I know it was there last night, I opened it to change it, saw it, then had to leave to get to the other office right away as they noticed I was missing.

I checked the entire book - what I wrote is gone, and it's now sealed.

That's pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book was "vandalized" several time throughout the evening. Always amazes me how some people have nothing better to do with their leisure time than cause others grief.

Ryna

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's probably the same people who took half the runes when that weird runebook bug was active.

Some people just have such a lack of respect it's disturbing.

A

Aleena of Scots

I just checked the book after reading your post. My signature and goodbye were erased as well. I really worked hard to get the word out about the memorial. I got tears in my eyes when I just checked the book to find my stuff gone. But I suppose Frank knows how I feel. I just pray that karma takes care of whoever the person was who would desecrate a memorial.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This really disturbs me, people <font color="blue">T</font>hat <font color="blue">C</font>razy who can't leave well enough alone for one night

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine that nutcase keeping a grudge this long and over something like a memorial, I'll chalk it up to some stupid immature prat.

A

Aleena of Scots

Maybe the book can be copied, then one by one, we can add our signatures if we were missed. It could then be locked down again.

As for the "grudge" thing, I don't know anyone with a grudge against me for any reason, so I don't think this was a personal attack, more of a disrespectful jerk attack.

R

Richtor

Here is the eulogy that I read last night at the memorial. An EM that showed up after most everyone left said that there were several GM's and EM's in attendance but were invisible like himself. He also stated that EA was well aware of the desire for a memorial and that it needed to be approved. He was the EM from Origins.
------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if anyone could write a tribute to Lord Goodman that would truly do his life justice. We may not know it but his life touched all of us. Every rune library had to change and had to expand the day he began his own. He marked more runes to more places than anyone and made them available to all of us. All libraries will forever be compared to Lord Goodman’s.

His son was there when he made his first character in UO. Because of that act on that day many characters most necessary rune was to Lord Goodman’s library. His treasure map system (1-201) is the most widely used system on Atlantic and his map finder can be found in many forms on various websites.

On the first days of any land expansion when everyone else was out adventuring, Lord Goodman could be found marking runes to every corner of the new lands, no matter how remote they may have been.

He left us on the day that another new expansion happened, Moundain’s Legacy. He marked a lot of the locations previous to the release. There were some locations that only opened up after the release and we’ll never know which ones he planned to mark. He never got to log into UO that day as he never woke up that morning. He had also planned to do a shard transfer with a library of runebooks to the Origin shard when UO allowed following the release of Moundain’s Legacy.

teyduoncaar probably said it best in the memorial post in the atlantic forum on stratics, “Wherever he may be up in the heavens I know Lord Goodman is up there with his runebooks and runes marking all those breath taking sites for us to see”

Maybe that’s why he was taken from us, God simply needed him more. He lives on in all of us. You can see his fingerprints on every rune library you visit. The lives that he’s touched will forever be affected and his library will continue to thrive and grow in his spirit. He planned for this day, his accounts were trusted and his wishes were known.

Even if you didn’t want him to, Lord Goodman loved you, he loved all of us. Like many of us he has cashed out of UO from time to time, and he had a reason for venture capital of a non-profit charity company. He never fully left the game he loved, and when he was financially able he bought the rune library or the runes back. A lot of us have stories of adventuring with Lord Goodman and most of those stories involve marking runes. Other’s simply tell of his generosity when they were in a time of need.

I like many wish I could have met Lord Goodman in real life. His real life saw him run companies in his early years. Later in life he started his non-profit company. In the last few years he decided to get a degree in nursing so that he could further help others. He will be missed and his time with us will be cherished. There’s no other way to put it, Frank in our hearts and in our minds you will forever be a Good Man.
-----------------------------------------------

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine that nutcase keeping a grudge this long and over something like a memorial, I'll chalk it up to some stupid immature prat.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh neither can I "just a little inside joke" its still disturbing though

just like mencia says "there are too many stupid people in the world and not enough things to eat them"

R

Richtor

Here are some more screens from the memorial.

This first one is before the memorial began.

This next one is during Pink Dragoness' reciting of a poem.

I believe this one is during Lord Sith's eulogy.

This one is during my eulogy.

This is after my eulogy.

This is of the EM from Origins that showed up after everyone left.

M

MimosaStar

I attended the memorial last night. Even though the lag was horrible
I managed to push my way through and sit for the entire event. I was very touched by everyone's speeches. I agree with everyone else about a memorial or statue for Goodman. He really needs something. Like so many said last night, he is truly missed.

G

That's really low. Sorry to hear that. Are you sure it was inentional? I only signed my name last night, but was wondering how the book would handle the fact that multiple people were signing the book, on the same page, at the same time (I had nightmares of an old Access database we used to use).

C

Cat Crimson

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe the book can be copied, then one by one, we can add our signatures if we were missed. It could then be locked down again.

As for the "grudge" thing, I don't know anyone with a grudge against me for any reason, so I don't think this was a personal attack, more of a disrespectful jerk attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry Aleena, the grudge referred to wouldn't be against you
I don't know if that particular person attended the service but you get mindless jerks like that all over unfortunately. Copying the book sounds like a good idea

S

SupaWooHoo

There is/was a little stone gazebo just across from Lord Goodman's beach.

Maybe they could incorporate that area into the memorial that it looks like will soon be up?

That really stinks about the guest book. I guess thats always a problem with a well populated shard.

Im sorry I couldnt make it, if the number of folks that were saddened by his passing in real life is only 1/4 of the people who were, or wish they were, in attendance last night, then he truly was a lucky man.

G

I've gotten a few messages about who has done it, and it's from someone that still harbors an old grudge on me.

All I can say is...

Life is short. As we've learned this week, friendships can't last forever. Putting off something as simple as a nice dinner with a friend you met over the internet can mean putting it off indefinatly. Such as it is with Goodman and myself.

There's a lot of good things in life to experience, that to me - experiencing them and finding the new experiences is more important than the taste of a long drawn out grudge or spite. I rather just drop anything that bothers me and move on with life, and be able to look back and know I did my best to enjoy all that I could.

So it's sad really... imagine looking back and realizing how many years of your life that you spent festering something so negative that you could have just dropped it, moved on, and done something more productive. Imagine looking back and realizing what a waste you invested your time and energy, and you have nothing to show for it.

We can fix the book, no big deal. You can fix things.

You can't fix lost or wasted time within your life though.

I'm sure Goodman is able to look back and know he did the most with his time.

G

I am so sorry I missed the memorial I wanted to be there. Goodman will always be in my thoughts. He was a great person and he will be greatly missed by me and my husband.

L

Lady Beth

I'm sorry I missed it as well, thank you for posting the screen shots.

Rest dear goodman..

F

foghorn

Wow. Words fail me so I'm probably just going to ramble some. I haven't played UO in a long time, I haven't even glanced at stratics in a much longer time. I was feeling nostalgic and decided to poke around, then I see this and take the time to register again.

I wasn't good friends with Goodman or anything, but I did have alot of run ins with him and a couple of stories I can remember. Back in the day, if you needed to go somewhere, his and Leah's was the only show in town as far as rune libraries go. Even if you were red, he didn't instantly jump to conclusions and ban you from the place. I know it's happened before, but I don't understand how anyone could have had the heart to PK or steal from that man.

Him and one other person (Talmor Jr.), were the only people I will ever consider true kind souls on atl.

Blue skies man.