• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Meeting with Dawn (Sunday 6th Sept) at 8pm

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meeting with Dawn

WHEN? Sunday 6th of September at 8pm UK Time - 9pm CEST (Central European Summer Time)
WHERE? Counselors Hall, Britain, Trammel

EM Article

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not long now! Make sure your client is patched up, your swords are sharp and the best of luck to everyone in getting the gems!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I died pritty much as soon as I entered the 2nd moongate at Fire Island.. just watching in black and white now..

K

Kiminality

I didn't die for a good couple of minutes.
Then my client crashed, I died, and... well... at least I don't need to try and sell that scouts set any more...

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I helped kill about 6 shadowlords and didnt get any cloaks or artifacts like I read we would... Cant win them all! I still enjoyed it, Well done to those who managed to get a gem!

K

-=KLiM=-

nice event, if only it didn't lag that much, could barely move in 2d, uokr or enhanced client wouldn't even start, just crash right after login

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wonder if the gem is blessed? If not, some people died, didn't get corpse, Gem lost.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless its different per shard this is what the gem looks like (Taken from a report on Great Lakes)

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a wonderful selection of obnoxious twerps we just got to meet!

C

cheerful

I was so looking forward to this event....which just heightens the disappointment

Thimblepixie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. Through moongate, couldn't move. Died. Total black screen, total white screen, total black screen. Eventually grey screen of death. Still couldn't move. Made it back outside, ressed, died, ressed, died, ressed, died etc. etc.
Eventually made it back inside for final 'yay, we did it' speech from Dawn, assorted obnoxius spammers, and 'yeah, I'll take care of the gem later'?! Never did find my original body. On the whole, not terribly impressed, sorry to say.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bit of a disapointment, but that was because of all the lag and the greedy muppets spamming armageddon at the daemon temple so I didn't see the gate and missed the start.

Only saw one real SL, got a legacy of the dread lord .. and two cloaks of corruption off the manifestations.

AyaraBlue

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, this was the lag night from hell. Died surprisingly few times though, mostly because I was so frozen I couldn´t move. Eventually ended up in a corner trying to think positive thoughts while the screen took long pauses between updates. I was lucky indeed when Nosfentor decided to have her last stand on my head, cause I managed to actually corp por her a few times and was awarded with a ring of the vile. After that i focused on rezzing peeps, but the lag mostly kept the spells from acually working...

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After getting ressed and insta-dying several times, I decided there wasn't much point trying to get back in the game until most of the nasties had already been dealt with. Shame really, I'd been looking forward to at least having a bit of a bash at the real shadowlords, but there you go.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had fun. Not as much fun as with the Void Shadow (still waiting for an event to top that) but fun nonetheless...

I also wants to give a BIG :thumbsup: to all the people ressing and helping others... :ten:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My stealth tamer was lucky enough to survive the first steps in that awfull lag with perma damage (wasn't the best location for the gate in). Lucky enough, could command my Greater Dragon to attack one of the real shadowlords, before she died.
After resurrection and requipping (which took about 5 minutes and a logoff, because the armor parts did stuck as well) the dragon was dead, but as the shadowlord fell, a Ornate Crown of the Harrower and a Axe of Heaven dropped. Also 4 cloaks of corruption could be earned.
A friend died with his archer after entering the gate due to lag, after 10 minutes he could move to get a ress, but could not find his corpse any more in all the crowd of death (and died again while trieing).

Was a lag experience as in ancient times.
*Salute*
Olahorand

M

Myna

a guildmate got a gem ... name is Nite

he locked it down in luna at luna mart shop close to southeast corner, its tiny, a bit larger than blackrock and blue

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We were there, all suffering from the most appalling lag ever. I went through gate at the temple, managed to get drag to attack a SL manifestation, then died because I simply couldn't move. I had two client crashes and spent a great deal of the event glued to the spot. My apologies to those oo000oo ing around me; under normal circumstances, I would have been happy to res you, but I couldn't even cast. I didn't even see a named SL, never mind get a chance to drop my dragon on one :(

I enjoy EM events, and try to turn up for the main ones, but the consistent lack of thought disappoints me every time. How hard would it have been to

1) Not had SL's spawn right next to the bottle neck the gate into the dungeon created.

2) Devised some method of spreading the players out as they landed; either by having more than one gate to go through or by having one gate that dropped us in one of a few locations in the dungeon.

My lag improved a great deal when I wasn't surrounded by numerous other players in the same location. There would have been far fewer deaths if the players had been spread out to fight.

Thanks to those who planned and executed the event. And Dawn, should you read this, the next time some twerp spams over the top of you while you're talking, open a gate to an AW that only he can go through!

Thanks also to Nathan Hawke for his assistance to our guildie who not only died, but got stuck to the spot and couldn't be ressed. You did far, far better than either the 'help stuck' option or paging a GM!

P

pgcd

We were there, all suffering from the most appalling lag ever. I went through gate at the temple, managed to get drag to attack a SL manifestation, then died because I simply couldn't move. I had two client crashes and spent a great deal of the event glued to the spot. My apologies to those oo000oo ing around me; under normal circumstances, I would have been happy to res you, but I couldn't even cast. I didn't even see a named SL, never mind get a chance to drop my dragon on one :(

I enjoy EM events, and try to turn up for the main ones, but the consistent lack of thought disappoints me every time. How hard would it have been to

1) Not had SL's spawn right next to the bottle neck the gate into the dungeon created.

2) Devised some method of spreading the players out as they landed; either by having more than one gate to go through or by having one gate that dropped us in one of a few locations in the dungeon.

My lag improved a great deal when I wasn't surrounded by numerous other players in the same location. There would have been far fewer deaths if the players had been spread out to fight.

Thanks to those who planned and executed the event. And Dawn, should you read this, the next time some twerp spams over the top of you while you're talking, open a gate to an AW that only he can go through!

Thanks also to Nathan Hawke for his assistance to our guildie who not only died, but got stuck to the spot and couldn't be ressed. You did far, far better than either the 'help stuck' option or paging a GM!
Total agreement.

Lag was stunning (not to mention the fact that the enhanced client doesn't think that explosions are particle effects, so every time a SL manifestation died, I was stuck for 40 secs), thanks to the nice people who ressed me twice, and please next time don't have 100 people on the same screen.

And yeah, those guys spamming and/or being funny... AW seems like a good idea to me =)

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did well against Faulinei, dropped a Cloak and a ring of the Elements.
Then the superlag kicked in while I was attacking Astaroth... He insta-killed me just before dying himself so I got the second Cloak and a Legacy of the Dread Lord while I was a ghost :)
Then I was completely helpless for 5 minutes because my corpse was buried under a huge pile of dragons, so I couldn't attack Nosfentor... Luckily I was able to loot myself eventually, because the first Cloak, being cursed, was still in my corpse...
And then I put to good use my only piece of blackrock bringing down the shield on a Shadowlord Manifestation and getting top damage for a third Cloak.
All in all a good night despite the terrible lag, I wasn't expecting to get a Shard anyway... Now on with the expansion release!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you Cailleach completely, A res area would have been nice too! I tried to run away from the main room but found the entire area swamped with shadowlords to begin with. I only found out the gate was still open to the Fire Island at the end, didn't see it at all in the crowd or Id have gone through to get a res.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moving was a bit on the 'almost impossible' side, managed several deaths (lost count - a few were reskills from the area effects going off nearby!), but overall still had a fairly good time. Thanks to those who ressed, apologies for those I didn't heal, I just couldn't target anyone before they were long gone...

The small room was a big problem, in future either an open space we can at least get a healing station in, or a place we are told to rush to and defend, would be a huge help. And of course, a big thanks to the lag monster, who I've not seen in such fine form for a long time, and the client crash part way through the fight...

But strangely, it was still fun - mainly due to the good people there, who far outnumbered the moron element, even if sometimes drowned out and hidden behind the waves of childish spamming! Must have been the first time some of those children got to use naughty words, they seemed so proud they knew them....rolleyes:

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
a guildmate got a gem ... name is Nite

he locked it down in luna at luna mart shop close to southeast corner, its tiny, a bit larger than blackrock and blue
So what does the Gem do? Has Nite tried to double-click it?
Thanks for putting it on display!

M

majestic/fish

the shard says .
{the shard in your hand gives off a gentle sense of warmth,
the stars inside twinkle merrily over a small world of oceans and clouds.
As a familier landmass comes slowly into veiw you see a vision of two great kingdoms. even as they reach out to one another you sense their ultimate destiny, and one must surely pass away.}

but it says diferent for other chars so i guess is karma based or something ?.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the shard says .
{the shard in your hand gives off a gentle sense of warmth,
the stars inside twinkle merrily over a small world of oceans and clouds.
As a familier landmass comes slowly into veiw you see a vision of two great kingdoms. even as they reach out to one another you sense their ultimate destiny, and one must surely pass away.}

but it says diferent for other chars so i guess is karma based or something ?.
The publish notes say:

"“Shard of the Gem of Immortality”

* An exceptionally rare item that responds to the user’s karma to play upon the fate in the worlds within "

So you'd be right, Interesting what all the messages could be.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got one on Siege.

This is what it said when I double-clicked it:

S

Seasseragh

There were three real (named) Shadow Lords, those dropped gems and arties, the Shadow Lord (Manifestations) did not (Thats´why you didn´t get anything, Mapper).

I didn´t realise the real ones were in the start room, so I went looking for them, apparently they didn´t survive the first minutes of the event.

I wonder 1) Why didn´t the (Manifestations) poof when their creators went down, 2) If the gems from the SL are meant to be shards of the gem of Immortality, shouldn´t thy rubies?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2) If the gems from the SL are meant to be shards of the gem of Immortality, shouldn´t thy rubies?
Quite possible - there have been a few inconsistent 'backstories' from various Ultimas, online and standalone. There's a good argument that the UO one is black though, and the ruby was his (Mondain's) father's, which Mondain corrupted -

http://www.uoguide.com/Mondain

"Mondain had other plans, though. And not even his father could stand in his way. The next night he slew his father and took the gem, for he hungered for power. Mondain then began to use his father's gem against itself to produce a black jewel that would render him and his evil immortal. He named this jewel the Gem of Immortality. "

And I hope nobody tried bringing the three pieces for Europa together in one place, also quoted on UOGuide -

"Ultima VI: Warriors of Destiny details how three shards from the ‘’’Gem of Imortality’’’were lost and forgotten, buried deep within Sosaria. After decades of safe keeping, the shards were unearthed by the same seismic activity that created the Underworld when the Avatar removed the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom from the depths of the Abyss.

Captain Johne and his crew aboard the Ararat were pulled to the underworld through a whirlpool. Capt Johne discovered the trio of shards, and he was instantly possessed by the gem. They compelled him to kill his remaining crewmates. Through the malign forces of the gem, and the spilled blood, the Shadowlords came into existence. One Shadowlord for each gem shard

These shards (and Shadowlords) were eventually destroyed when the Avatar cast one each into the Flames of Truth, Love, and Courage. "

S

Seasseragh

*curses clumsy fingers* Of course that should have been "... shouldn´t they be rubies".
I´m glad someone was still able to make sense of it ;)

Another bit, from the "Mondain´s Legacy" Fiction, by Draconi:
"The Three, those cursed in name, had begun creating a Gem of Immortality even as Mondain had so long ago. They had found, after great effort, a ruby gem capable of harnessing the power of our beautiful sun, and in their vileness corrupted it: feeding it hatred, cowardice, and lies.

This they had done in world after world, binding them time after time, consuming their power and leaving it to wither and perish.

And when those Three were defeated, what was left of their wretched mortal shells but shards of the very same Gem? A Gem forged on a distant world, long dead…"

Ah well... I reckon they are blue because there are little worlds in them, all that water, you know...

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I arrived in the main room I didn't even see the 3 named shawdowlords, I assumed we had to kill the manisfestations first before the 3 biggies spawned. I died pritty much straight away anyway so even if I had seen them I couldn't have done anything.