• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] In Remembrance: Gary Gygax (1938 – 2008)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Posted to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/news/>uoherald.com:</a><blockquote><span class=osi></p>

<font size=+1>In Remembrance: Gary Gygax (1938 – 2008) </br></font> <font size=-1>The UO Team</font>
26 Mar 2008 17:11:07

As many of our loyal fans may know, Gary Gygax, co-creator of D&D and inspiration to generations of gamers, has recently passed away. </p>

Tracing the line from pen and paper roleplaying to Ultima Online reminds us of own legends and creators. Yet their inspiration had a source: where would we be without the enthusiasm and love that a small group of adventurers showed with but a handful of dice and some pads of paper, so long ago? </p>

And while we cannot easily express our feelings (although <a target="_blank" href=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html>This</A> feels about right), we wish to pay our own sort of tribute. </p>

Therefore, let it be known that within the darkest depths of the dungeon Doom a new power has awakened! For the Dungeon Master has established a place for his games – games of life and death, waiting for the unwary and daring alike to tread into his sanctuary. </p>

G

Doom + link to a Tomb of Horrors reference?! *treads very, very carefully*

(I really am going to have to break down and go exploring down there some day)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
One suggestion...don't click on ANYTHING......*grins*

G

Oooh, what a very cool idea! =D I might have to go exploring! (or, alternately, wait til someone else has and tells me if it's in a dialup safe area =P)

Heh - and don't you just love order of the stick? Hubby is slowly turning me into a comic geek, and has shown me a few of their strips

W

Wastelands

So theres something new in doom... guantlet? or am i missing something @_@!

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No no... click on EVERYTHING!

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so how many of old time a d &amp;d playes feel lame one this cartoon tribute to a great author of our genre

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

so how many of old time a d &amp;d playes feel lame one this cartoon tribute to a great author of our genre

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was lame... it may not have been drawn well, or even have good dialog, but it was better than anything I did. I only played D&amp;D in college, but will miss the many stories that GG contributed to, the worlds he created from his imagination, and the worlds others created by expanding on his.

I was truly sad to read of his death. Even more so than when Robert Jordan died.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Anyone have a map to this?

-Galen's player

K

kennykilleduo

Is this not on all shards yet , if it is where in doom is it?

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.uoherald.com/news/

AFTER the morning maint of the 27th
NOW on origin ...
start a char and do a little walking

G

I went and checked everything. I am about to cross over to the gauntlet as well. I think it's going to take a maint. before anything is working. I did however find something different for sure.

Well after server up Gary was there to speak with me. He immediately got down to business as the best Game Master in history. He rolled the 20 sided dice and up came a 16!! Then came my immediate death. I knew I should have brought my wand!!

Time to roll the dice again Gary !!!

Gary the Dungeon Master

Spectator Vision: Use this to reset the game using the context menu. You can also double click it to get a message.

I want to roll the dice Gary! (rolled the dice on his table) Ouch! (I took damage)

After that he said no, Gary rolled the dice for me! OMG not a 1 !!

Using the Rule Book, I was enveloped in a blinding white light! (It seems this is to let everyone know the most important rules in Ultima Online) (It tells you different in-game rules each time you click it. 1 of 20 different rules!)
(Rule 0: If you have to ask you'll never know)

All spawned creatures names will be in <font color="red">RED</font>. When the spawn is summoned the doors lock and no one can enter or leave for a short time peroid. The statues will change in the room and they consist of every creature or monster in UO. Gary does not want to keep rolling the dice though. He seems to go blank and not respond for great lengths of time.
*It seems he is on some sort of timer around 15 mins for each roll of the dice*

1-Bone Daemon
2-
3-Skeletal Mage
4-Dark Guardian
5-Devourer of Souls
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-Lich Lord
11-Mummy
12-Patchwork Skeleton
13-
14-Restless Soul
15-Rotting Corpse (has Super Dragon breath and dragon sounds)
16-Skeletal Dragon
17-Vampire Bat
18-
19-Wanderer of the Void
20-Game Masters!

Well wonder no more! I finally rolled a 20!!

Hi there!

Interesting! *laughs*

The dialog.

To bad they were npc spawns! Maybe on April fools the Dev team will pull a fast one on the working GM's that day!!

I would like one of these statues.

D

Dr. Moreau

I have played ad&amp;d for years and im glad they recognized him for what he did even if he was not the creator of role playing games he sure did alot to help promote the gaming world

Salute to EA for this!!

G

-Absolute Genius in the gaming world! I still have a "Dungeon Master Guild," "Players Handbook," and "Deities and Demigods."

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.uoherald.com/news/

AFTER the morning maint of the 27th
NOW on origin ...
start a char and do a little walking

[/ QUOTE ]

Still nothing , Where is it , was my question...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right !

*click click click click*

[/ QUOTE ]*click click click click*

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats a new room. Its located between where the skull candle spawn and horse sadles. There some sort of prison with those black ghosts or something.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right !

*click click click click*

[/ QUOTE ]*click click click click*

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok is this sarcasm , if its in the area mentioned in this thread there is nothing there or its not active..

LS shard..

I

imported_Tina Small

Interesting things do happen if you go to the same spot on Origin, although I'm not sure what's on Origin is completely finished. (We got a few weird error messages.)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Interesting things do happen if you go to the same spot on Origin, although I'm not sure what's on Origin is completely finished. (We got a few weird error messages.)

[/ QUOTE ]You didn't try to do something crazy like reset "the game," did you?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Heck Draconi I reset the game..or tried to *Grins* I tried to roll his D20..(HE HATES THAT!) And if you click on the rulebook...I'll just say very nice touch.

Oh and if you lure anything in there...he likes the company *Grins*

I just went back down there...and SOMEONE left a bit of a mess....I'm trying to clean it up so I can get in there and take some pictures.

That skeletal dragon isn't gonna be easy *grins*

I

imported_Farsight

RTLFC

Honestly, I expected a 10X10 room with an orc and a chest.

Or an idol that disintegrates anyone who clicks on it.

One or the other.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Gary Gygax, co-creator of D&amp;D and inspiration to generations of gamers, has recently passed away.

Dungeons and Dragons...HUGE game....I personally never played D&amp;D but that game opened up SO many doors.

Anyway, while we are waiting for the servers to come back up, here's a sneak preview.

~*~*~*~SPOILER PICS DO NOT LOOK IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Here's Gary and his D20

Here's what Gary does to you when you try to roll his D20 *grins*

Here's what the room looks like USUALLY (not littered with human corpses sorry about that lol) That guy sitting there is Gary, got the system message so I high tailed it outta there before I got a screenie, but his name is Gary the Dungeon Master *nice touch*

E

eightonefive

this is great...maybe they will run a tabletop game in there on sunday nights!!! I'll bring the cheetos!

G

Between where the skull candle spawns and where the egg sack spawns. I posted some more information about the game in my above link.

Have fun!

G

2 - skele knight
? - gibberling (w/ firebreath!)

i wonder if they all have firebreath?

kentuckyjoe

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the res Larisa....I was the one that you res'd and gated out right when we got the server message...and you caught my body in the screenshot too...hehe.

T

TurboArkhan

<blockquote><hr>

Who ?

never heard of this person

[/ QUOTE ]

EHh. Playing UO and not knowing who Gygax is is kind of sad!

Google him and do some research. D&amp;D is what inspired Garriot to write Akalabeth, which spawned Ultima, which obviously spawned UO.!

G

Edited: Looks like I'm the only one getting cliloc and string errors on the items (20-sided die, changing statues and the rulebook) on Pacific both on rollover of the items and upon double clicking them:

Wonder why my client is goofed...

J

J0KING

If I remember correctly, the actual room itself is not new at all. It is just redone... in the center there used to be a pulpit/podium/music stand (what ever you want to call it)

Regardless... I think it is a great idea and cant wait to get down there and do some clicking around myself

F

Fayled Dhreams

Went there(that shard) just a while ago ... not seeing the "errors"
Nor were the other two that came while i was ghosted ...
Nor the TWO Gm's !!!!! (
GM gm's ... red robes and all
)

C

CowboyX1970

Ok so if we revere D&amp;D and Gary so much, let's stop nerfing and start expanding the possibilities for character classes such as straight mage and elves.

Breeze64

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i got a 13 on dice &amp; a Ravager pop up.
will post other if i get &amp; not on your list
got a 2 &amp; got a bone knight