• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Hi From Cal

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im guessing the epic event is release of SA? Ok. So at least we have some leather to chew on now.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

<font size=+1> Hi From Cal</br></font> <font size=-1>Calvin Crowner</font>
05 Feb 2008 16:49:31 EST

I'll introduce myself by stating what the heck my job title means. I am the Development Manager for Ultima Online. Hold on a minute, that kind of just caught up to me. No pressure. This means that server crashes, staffing the team, schedule decisions, prioritizing bug fixes, squelching rumors, and emanating a general sense of well-being are well within my responsibilities for delegation. Restated: when it’s “broke” I try to figure out who is going to fix it. If it’s not broken I do my best to make sure it remains that way. </p>

Did programming once. Hated it. Did sales. Had such a sense of self-loathing I often tried to determine whether to expense gas on business reports or suck straight from the nozzle holding a cigarette. Like many who are reading this letter: I love games. All games. I am an old school Efreet-cover carrying purveyor of Dungeons and Dragons who still has d100s in a mustard yellow TSR dice bag next to my boxed copies of Privateer 2 and Crusader: No Remorse. Run on sentence complete.</p>

From this perspective, I am more than honored to hold the torch for Ultima Online. I spent a bit of time with the group at EARS before the team transitioned to Mythic here in Fairfax. During those few weeks I learned more than a bit from the experts of Ultima Online -- I was introduced to a lot of passion for Ultima lore, and respect for the entity that is Ultima AND the Ultima Online community. </p>

I named a rock group Smock Llama Mama once. But that’s a different story all together.</p>

I am here to break radio silence. First and foremost: by no stretch of John Cleese’s imagination is Ultima Online going away. On the contrary, if you could see and smell the amount of right and left brain molecules burning between developers here, you might wonder how we could stand to work among the palpable sulfuric fumes. We have some great plans in the coming months. There are three major story arcs in the works culminating in what I can only describe for legal and marketing reasons as an “Epic Event” coming this Spring … Applying my First Rule of Molyneux, make that late Spring.</p>

The first of said events will literally incorporate showing a little love to the players. Well a lot of love to the players. Our lead designer spends way too much time studying chocolate. So if you have an endorphin deficit, the Valentine’s Day Event is for you. Next, the Mad Mage will finally make his way into Britannia. Look for the sightings of general mayhem and schizophrenia some time late March. I’m sure you’d like to know more. I would like to tell you more, however already understanding that these few words have obligated me to several years spinning straw into gold for a wee man, I’ll hold off on any other announcements.</p>

In addition, we are taking a bit of course correction from Jeremy on prioritizing our feature list. You should know that we have been working pretty steadily on answering the mail for both live events and several major systems the community is clamoring for. Understand we are by no means idle, and against all sanctioned methods of scope and project planning, we are doing a bit of parallel engineering. Do not try this at home without a certified project lead.</p>

In closing, please stay tuned. We have some amazing, well-scoped, and thoroughly achievable plans – a lot of them silly, most well-intentioned, but all of them passionate about the continued evolution of the Ultima universe. The most important thing to remember is the team now dedicated to Ultima Online is growing and so thrilled about what’s to come … your best chance for survival is a +5 Helmet of Endurance … and your seatbelts. </p>

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
*laughs* You're welcome Frarc.

That Mama Llama thing kinda scares me though....

F

Fayled Dhreams

Dang ... the net is running outta "Biggrin" pictures for me to use ...

hummm could probably do a custom dot-matrix style pointilism one ...

nah ...

my minds eye see's this:

Fayled amongst the trolls:

next:
rolling rolling rolling !

OOPS!
Hi Cal ...

U

_Uriah Heep_

Finally, two communications in one day!
I'm too flabbergasted and bamboozled to say more, Welcome to Hell, Cal !!
Hope we hear from ya again, soon.

G

*head starts to spin, body feels weak* Two posts from the dev team today, I don't know what to think. I don't feel as worried about my new 6 month payment coming up this week.

D

dsnchanted395

its about time...

i wonder if that means were getting some new ingame treats this Valentines Day?
choclate maybe? itd be nice after the disheartening Christmas stocking regifting

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

Finally, two communications in one day!
I'm too flabbergasted and bamboozled to say more, Welcome to Hell, Cal !!
Hope we hear from ya again, soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess they were listening to us in the last few days..

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
*Laughs* That is CLASSIC Fayled, I love it!

Now to find one with pink pom-poms....*grins*

Yes Cal does seem like a crazy, happy-go-lucky guy with his eyes and heart set on the success of UO. I am greatly pleased that he has finally introduced himself and am looking forward to the upcoming events.....especially Valentine's Day...I LOVE chocolate! *laughs*

Thanks Cal!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think i look good in pink or with Pom Poms.... Don't we have something black in leather and jeans?

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple"> run-on sentences need work and he's already managed to lose the mad mage in Brit when he's supposed to be in Moonglow workin' on the contraption, but other than that, I think he'll do

and no, there is no too-much-chocolate thing, ever </font>

C

Connor_Graham

Wow! 2 huge press releases in one day. I'd say this bodes well for how the year is going to progress, and after reading these, my Merchant gears are a-spinnin'.

"Now to find one with pink pom-poms....*grins*"

See if you can spot some blue ones for me.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

valentines day oh does that mean trick treating will end !!!!!!!!!! ??

[/ QUOTE ]

oh noes! whatever shal we do?!?!

F

five oclock

Dang well IM glad I finally got me pumkins
LOL.

As for whats to come..This should be fun...To see what actually does come

Z

Zaknafein69

So, is the cigarette filtered or no? I laughed so hard on that one, I had to change my Depends......

Zak

G

Ok first off, you did it to yourself

<blockquote><hr>

I named a rock group Smock Llama Mama once

[/ QUOTE ]

You shall forever be known as Calvin "Smock Llama Mama" Crown!

*hopes that the story arcs will tie into a few of the, seemingly, yet unfinished story arcs we currently have*

<blockquote><hr>

coming this Spring … Applying my First Rule of Molyneux, make that late Spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cringes from time line statements*

Now that is self imposed pressure, Good Luck!

<blockquote><hr>

a wee man

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I resemble that remark!

<blockquote><hr>

… your best chance for survival is a +5 Helmet of Endurance … and your seatbelts.

[/ QUOTE ]

…and laces in our shoes…

C

Cellmate

<blockquote><hr>

loqucious :Two posts from the dev team today

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, almost amazing in itself, without even considering what was actually said, or not said, depending on one's point of view. However, there's always room for a good old fashioned "BUT" and I have one.

Accepting that Cal is Development Manager - have to say I'm not exactly sure what that is really, we've never had one before as far as I know - and I'm assuming that Draconi, as Live Team Lead would report to him and we have a post from each today, describing their roles to a greater or lesser degree, also dependent on one's point of view, very nice and not before time....BUT...does that not leave room for one more post, from perhaps a Production Team Lead, who may or may not be a Leurocian, and it would be from that department that answers to questions about Expansions such as Stygian Abyss, ongoing support for the 2d client, further development and enhancements to the KR client etc would emmanate?

So while it's great to have the two posts we are merrily chewing upon, I'm pushing the expectations envelope way out there and hanging out for a third!!

Edit: Oh, and thanks to you as well Jeremy, as I suspect it may well have been your prodding that managed to extract the posts from your illustrious colleagues, in particular dragging a few words out of Cal.
Draconi has never seemed to need too much of a prod to post here in the past, so it's probably a safe bet to assume he posted at the first chance he got after the EA Mythic muzzle was removed, presumably by Cal, hehe.

K

kennykilleduo

Dare I say he sounds like a Hippie , or if anyone follows wrestling the Ric Flair of UO....

Hopefully he will not let us down...

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Welcome Cal!

Lots of good things in both posts, but I'm going to hold on this next publish to make a decision on what I think of it. We've heard many of these things many times, and as of yet very little delivery has occured.

*Keeps his fingers crossed*

D

dsnchanted395

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo The Nature Boy!

What exactly about his post made you draw this juxaposition? lol id be curious to me he seems more like a Jim Ross kinda guy.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

What exactly about his post made you draw this juxaposition? lol id be curious to me he seems more like a Jim Ross kinda guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opps left that out , as in the energy Ric Flair has...Not as in a Hippie..My bad

D

dsnchanted395

i wonder if he can take a backhand like ric can? or deliever one for that matter. i think hes going to need the ability here in this crazy uo world. best of luck to him!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
LOL Malice see what you did??

Cal will be forever known as Ric the Hippie....compliments of Jeremy *Grins*

Oh my...poor Cal!

G

Jeremy, I really don't wanna hear a "W O O O O O O O O" coming from VA. Really.

G

But ya know, Ric Flair's Robe that he wears down to the ring would be AWESOME as an in-game wearable! I'd even make a special character that could wear it well!

W O O O O O O O O O O!!!

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

I like the posting style. Not to sure he's giving us anything solid to chew on, but he's witty enough that I'll forgive him for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto..

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Opps left that out , as in the energy Ric Flair has...Not as in a Hippie..My bad

[/ QUOTE ]

I deffinatly see a touch of the ADHD in there... including the semi-obscure references to monty python, and Peter Molyneux's reputation in the gaming industry... I actuly had to look that one up... shame on you Cal for forcing me to wikipedia at work when I am already clearly breaking the rules to be on stratics!

G

Hi Cal

Thanks for the introduction &amp; the bits of info concerning upcoming content.

Now tell us that you hate cheating &amp; old bugs just as much as you look forward to the new events and UO would be a much happier place, at least to me.

Actually if you assign a high priority to fixing the broken state of 'cheating in UO' then I'm willing to bet all this new content could be much more appreciated by the currently subscribing fair players and as well by new / returning fair players.

Best of wishes for your (&amp; our UO success)!

I

imported_Cysphruo

they wont tell us things because its a surprise, were all excited but dont get all snappy at em, especially the new ones, they arent used to us yet.
plus we all know dates arent accurate when it comes to the computer world, be happy theyre atleast giving us some info.

F

five oclock

Ok. Well if you want to tease us. Can you PLEASE give the town criers something to say other than news thats over 2 years old? plz plz ????
like maybe something on the horizon that might be coming or something? Anything Plz Plz Plz!

Thanks.

This msg brought to you by someone who looks at the town criers for news. :p

I

imported_UONutt

woooo or w00t or whoo hoo or zipadee doo dah or "jumps and down" it's all good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I already like Cal myself. Could be because I got started in gaming playing AD&amp;D around a kitchen table with friends, or that I always dreamed of seeing the Wing Commander/Privateer universe made into a MMORPG.I know I am looking forward to see what will happen in game.
<blockquote><hr>

I am an old school Efreet-cover carrying purveyor of Dungeons and Dragons who still has d100s in a mustard yellow TSR dice bag next to my boxed copies of Privateer 2 and Crusader: No Remorse.

[/ QUOTE ]
BTW my dice bag was a old Crown Royal bag. My entire gaming group had these and half the fun was drinking the Crown to get the bag. Matter of fact we gamed so much that many of my dice have rounded sides from rolling them so much.

I know I am looking forward to see what is in the future for the game I love so much. So do not let us down.

G

A few words can be very reassuring.

( and I notice that by accident, instinct or wise council, he managed to avoid the use of the word "soon"
)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Look for the sightings of general mayhem and schizophrenia some time late March.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a hint that those of us who are ingame blackrock schitzophrenics are going to find a cure in the near future? Actually... I've kind of come to like the voices in my head after all this time. The taunting, the prodding... "Kill them... kill them all!"

J

Jhym

I haven't had a seatbelt in UO... EVER.

Is that something GM's get for 1000 perfect petitions?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Look for the sightings of general mayhem and schizophrenia some time late March.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a hint that those of us who are ingame blackrock schitzophrenics are going to find a cure in the near future? Actually... I've kind of come to like the voices in my head after all this time. The taunting, the prodding... "Kill them... kill them all!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd like my char In Flames to keep hearing the voices.

I just wish he'd stop blackrock infecting big things when Im trying to fight people.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Dang ... the net is running outta "Biggrin" pictures for me to use ...

hummm could probably do a custom dot-matrix style pointilism one ...

nah ...

my minds eye see's this:

Fayled amongst the trolls:

next:
rolling rolling rolling !

OOPS!
Hi Cal ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm the blue one, sneaking up behind you!

Howdy Cal!

End of March you say? Sounds like something to wait on. Hope it's good.

I would have like to heard the words "finalization of Inu story arc" somewhere however. Should you want to garner some respect for new arcs you may want to address the situation, for ill or good, of the old ones' fate.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

A few words can be very reassuring.

( and I notice that by accident, instinct or wise council, he managed to avoid the use of the word "soon"
)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd put it down to "Wisdom" ...mainly because, he didn't "edit before submit" .. this part:
"...as an “Epic Event” coming this Spring … Applying my First Rule of Molyneux, make that late Spring."

just saying ... a "pre-publish" spinmeister ... woulda edited that out ... and not Just the self correction to a "later time frame" ...
The entire "time frame" reference, inference, hint of possibility, plausible deniability ... and probably the "epic" down to ... mmmmm

"complex" ...
...which would make this:
There are three major story arcs in the works culminating in what I can only describe for legal and marketing reasons as an “Epic Event” coming this Spring … Applying my First Rule of Molyneux, make that late Spring.

Read Like This:
We have sketched out an involved story arc and are, even now, trying to work the begining into the QA cycle.

Same thing ... just saying ... watch now as the hall trys to figure out :"What was promised when"
1,2,3 story arcs "culminating" in "Epic" ... by late spring
(hears calendars and google twitching and turning) start before late spring, spring is too late, why culminate... need a toggle to get to the end, what are the goodies, why are you doing it that way, it would be better if you did it this way, shoulda asked first, thats not what I was expecting, should do 2 before one, THEN three, why are you saying this is an arc ? itsgoingtoofasttooslownowhereand thereisnoreasontostartithterefirstandgivethemanadvantage Iearnedtheadvantagebybuyingthisaccountoffadyingplayer goestoshowtheonlycontacttheygiveusisaslapinthefaceandagougeinthepocketwherearethegoodiesnonotthosethebetterones ...

ooo! creepy ...feltlike i was channeling the hall ...

GhostBusters !!!!!!
hehehehe

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple">uhhh..... no chocolate for Fayled... seems to be in overdrive already... better give it to me </font>

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for introducing yourself...

Aside from the snappy humor, this just comes across as another classic EA tease. "We got big plans, but we can't tell ya anything!"

Oh well, don't mind me. I'm just getting more and more cynical it seems. Haven't really been playing much lately anyways, so my opinion doesn't count for much.

F

Fayled Dhreams

*tugs "box" and keyboard into crook of arm, tighter to chest*

mine

*makes warning rattle with false teeth*