• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS]Crafting questions asked and answered at the House of Commons...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll cut and paste all of them, later, when the log is put up, but here are the two I asked, first:

1. The recent BOD changes: Yes, they are "permanent" (though as always, subject to further tweaking), and there will be an update sometime soon to the Knowledge Base entries on the BOD system, to allow us to recalculate our tables and reward calculators.

2. The "Make Number" and "Mark as Quest Item" buttons: For the SA client, and the new crafting gump for 2D, these will be server-based actions (as opposed to being client based as in KR), and as a result will go live with the official SA release.

U

UOKaiser

I'll cut and paste all of them, later, when the log is put up, but here are the two I asked, first:

the new crafting gump for 2D, these will be server-based actions (as opposed to being client based as in KR),
Crafting gump you mean the new items for SA in the gump? What is the difference between it being server based or client base for 2d client? Benefits? Disadvantages? No difference? Missed HOC sorry if it was already covered there.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Presumably (this is speculation, based on knowledge of programming), by setting it to be a server based action, it will go faster, because the checks for making the item won't have to check back with EACH ITEM to the client to see if the boxes are marked.

Client based would be:

A. set the boxes
B. start making
C. server creates item
D. server checks client for item number made/target number
E. server check for mark as quest
F. Repeat C.-E. until failure, pack is full, material runs out, or target number reached.

Server based:
A, B. As client based, but checked box data passed to server.
C. Toggles for item set in server
D. Item made, toggles checked on server, reducing communication time to client.
E. Repeat D, until one of the conditions above (client side example F) met.

This will reduce the amount of communications between client & server during crafting by 50-75%, and therefore, use less memory, less bandwidth, and generate less lag.

U

UOKaiser

Presumably (this is speculation, based on knowledge of programming), by setting it to be a server based action, it will go faster, because the checks for making the item won't have to check back with EACH ITEM to the client to see if the boxes are marked.

Client based would be:

A. set the boxes
B. start making
C. server creates item
D. server checks client for item number made/target number
E. server check for mark as quest
F. Repeat C.-E. until failure, pack is full, material runs out, or target number reached.

Server based:
A, B. As client based, but checked box data passed to server.
C. Toggles for item set in server
D. Item made, toggles checked on server, reducing communication time to client.
E. Repeat D, until one of the conditions above (client side example F) met.

This will reduce the amount of communications between client & server during crafting by 50-75%, and therefore, use less memory, less bandwidth, and generate less lag.
Thank you. That sounds like a good explanation and reason for the change. I kinda thought there was almost no hope and effort for 2d to be improved. So a change like this caught me by surprise.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now that the Chat Log is up....

Zephenia - *Basara* Question concerning crafting: Are the recent BOD changes permanent, and if so, when will the point system entries in the Knowledge base for them be changed to reflect the new system?
Draconi - Ah! The lack of updates to the Knowledge Base may be confusing - so let me clarify! Yes, these are permanent (for now!) and I'm sure our wonderful community representative and her cohorts will be happy to get that information updated for your viewing pleasure :)

Zephenia - *Timothy* Are there any plans in SA to make useful some of the "useless" skills? http://www.uoguide.com/Useless_Skill
Draconi - I love the fact that there's a wiki link for that :p
Sakkarah - Giving a purpose to all the useless skills is a long term project. But we are giving a bit of love to Item ID which will help you decide whether or not it's worth unraveling an item for imbuing.
Sakkarah - There will also be some use to Forensic Evaluation in the Underworld.

Zephenia - *Basara* Another crafting question: Will the crafting menus (2D & SA) be getting the "Mark as Quest Item", and "Make Number" options, that were present in KR? If so, any ETA?
Bleak - *Basara* We've made some improvements to the original crafting gump in Stygian Abyss. When the expansion is released players will have access to these options in both clients.
Draconi - I should mention that the only reason you don't have the updated crafting functionality when we released the SA client beta is because it's actually server-based code, which won't come out until we release SA :)

Zephenia - *Nhbdy[* Will tinkers be given any love in SA? Or more specifically, will we have neat stone cups and worn stone ware to make set our Gargish Dinner Tables?
Sakkarah - Tinkers will be getting quite a bit of love in SA, so will pretty much every crafting classes. Yes including Cooks, Glassblowers and Scribes.
Sakkarah - I'm afraid no stone cups but you shouldn't be too disappointed with the new craftables :)