• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] "Capturing the Fort." Gideon Evades Capture. Royalist Regiment To Be Formed.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

[News] Capturing the Fort - Gideon Evades Capture. Royalist Regiment To Be Formed.
By WarderDragon

On the evening of Wednesday, November 17th, Mercenaries and Adventurers from Britannia and the Old World gathered to heed the Call of Jenkins, Lord Captain Commander of the Royalist Britannian Guard.

Their purpose? A covert strike against the Stronghold of Gideon - Former Trade Minister and War Criminal of the Heartwood Regime - who at great personal expense and hardship managed to evade authorities and build a Cartel in the lawless region of Tortoise Lagoon.

It is Gideon who is responsible for most - but not all - Blackrock Shipments smuggled into the Realm of Queen Dawn. Since her ascension the the substance has again become illegal and crates discovered on merchant ships and caravans are immidiately confiscated by the Guardsmen Regiments. This has created a strong demand in the black markets of Luna and Buccaneer's Den.

Gerek - Clothier to the House of Gilthas - furnished the disguises that transformed Alistair the Thaumaturgist, Mistress Proserpina, Nephyths, Nicholas Tarrant and others into the infamous "Orc Slavemasters."

The Vanguard of Britannia - now disguised in the enchantments of Shamaness Fere Cloam - proceeded to the Stronghold where it seems a Shipment of Orc Slaves was long overdue. Alistair and Nicholas - modulating their voices to disguise their true identities - managed to convince the Mistress of Gideon that this was the fifty captured Shadowclan Orcs meant to be put to work in the Blackrock Mines.

The ruse worked. The Enchantress opened the gates and led them to the Central Watchtower. There the 'Slavemasters' - wasting no more time - revealed their true identities and surrounded her.

But it was too soon. The Soliders in the employ of Gideon - hearing her screams - boiled down from the mountain crags and overwhelmed the outmatched Vanguard. But after a long and gruesome struggle the Champions of Queen Dawn managed to defeat the Soldiers of Fortune and capture the Blackrock Mine.

However the Mistress of the Stronghold managed to escape in the confusion. Gideon was not to be found amongst the dead and is presumed to have escaped either during or before the Vanguard arrived.

The following evening Jenkins - writing from the bed chambers of Queen Dawn no less - penned a missive to be distributed to all Royalist Batallions throughout Greater Britannia.

"Hail,

After seeking the permission of Queen Dawn, I hereby announce the formation of a new regiment that will seek to control the fortification left behind by Gideon. It is a prime opportunity for the Crown to establish control over the Lost Lands.

There is no doubt in my mind that others will seek to control this area. Some might even be friends of the Crown in other affairs.

As such it is paramount that we rush to the fortification and establish our presence there at the earliest opportunity.

Signed,

Captain Jenkins.

This is a bold change for Britannia under the Rule of Queen Dawn. Not since the Cascan Regime has the Kingdom sought to establish its hegemony on the neighboring territories of the Lost Lands and the Old World.

It will be interesting to see how the Peoples of the Old World react to the Queen spreading her influence in lands long considered Independent of the Crown.

Perhaps it is time the Independent Kingdoms knelt to the True Queen and Master of Britannia.

Lorenzo Sforza
East Britain Office - the Freeborn Press.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: [News] "Capturing the Fort." Gideon Evades Capture. Royalist Regiment To Be Forme

You can find more screenshots here.

I'm interested to see if the characters - both Britannian Citizens and those belonging to the Independent Realms - react to the wording of the letter.

Cadsuane Sedai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: [News] "Capturing the Fort." Gideon Evades Capture. Royalist Regiment To Be Forme

Perhaps it is time the Independent Kingdoms knelt to the True Queen and Master of Britannia.
*frowns deeply*

Oh I read it very carfully.... The gypsies are not amused.

I also like how her reign is compared to casca.

We do not trust these brit monarchs..

Z

Zanthes[EcZ]

Greetings!

In regards to:

"This is a bold change for Britannia under the Rule of Queen Dawn. Not since the Cascan Regime has the Kingdom sought to establish its hegemony on the neighboring territories of the Lost Lands and the Old World.

It will be interesting to see how the Peoples of the Old World react to the Queen spreading her influence in lands long considered Independent of the Crown.

Perhaps it is time the Independent Kingdoms knelt to the True Queen and Master of Britannia."

The people (ie Elves) of EcZ live outside the realm of Queen Dawn, and to be honest, have no desire to live under the rules or influences of Queen Dawn and her court. We will continue to proudly fight alongside her forces and those of the other kingdoms when the threat dictates that we are in danger, or to help protect and defend the other kingdoms when they ask for assistance - but our support ends there.
Queen Dawn's kingdom can likely defend itself, but always at a cost and not always successsfuly (as we have seen with recent events) - so what would any united kingdoms stand to gain from being brought under her rule? What can she offer that we do not already have, aside from giving back a parcel of what she would have to take away in the first place? In our eyes, nothing. Not at this point in time.

The True King of Britannia is sadly gone, but even he knew it was not all 'his' to rule over. There are lessons to be learned from that past, if one chooses to revisit the knowledge. Hopefully Queen Dawn will gain insight from those that came before her.

Regards,

Elevere Zanthes
Queen, EcZ

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Lost Lands are the wild lands, i.e. they do not belong to anyone. It is bit of a stretch to compare it to Lord Casca who was trying to take over territories which were inhabited and claimed by others. Queen Dawn has so far done opposite of that and recognized the rights of all such kingdoms to co-exist. As far as the Old world is considered, the crown has never officially receded from it. Atleast, all of the traditional cities and several strategic places maintain royal guard protection.

In light of the illegal smuggling of Blackrock, with its source found from within the wild lands of TLL, Captain Jenkins is perhaps wise to counsel the Queen to have some sort of permanent presence there. If not, someone else like Gideon will.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Crown did cede control when it abandoned the Old World to the Dark Enchantress and her Hordes. While the developers have never coded separate Guardsmen units based on Faction Control it can be assumed that the 'Magic Guardsmen' and Leadership of an NPC Township is under the dominion of the Controlling Faction at that time. (i.e. When the Shadowlords control Vesper and Nujel'm or Minax controls Britain.)

This is the basis of much of the IC resentment towards the Britannian Crown. The Crown under various regimes (i.e. Lord Francesco and later Casca) sometimes claims that it owns Old Britannia; but it enforces that claim - and sends soldiers in to do so - only when things have quieted down. When things become dangerous - such as the Second War of Darkness / War of Minax - the Crown retreats ('...cuts and runs' being one characters description) leaving the inhabitants to defend themselves.

It doesn't mean Queen Dawn wouldn't claim to own Felucca. That is a good opportunity for IC Interaction. But the Feluccans might not take well to her sending armies and expanding Britannia into the Old World. These diverse ... 'elements' might choose to form their own regiments and retaliate.

It is this understanding that has led to some excellent RP - IMHO - and makes our shards political situation much more interesting than others such as Catskills; where the Queen is the undisputed Master of All Cities (e.g. Luna and Umbra.) based on RP and EM Mythology that has developed there.

However debating OOC whether or not the Crown claims Felucca - or should be perceived as an antagonist superpower - was not the purpose of this thread; though it can prompt some interesting lore discussion. It was written from the perspective of Lorenzo Sforza - previously known as Kellindil - who holds an expansionistic ('hawkish') view of Britannia that would run counter the perspectives of Elevere Zanthes or the Duchess of the Kingdom of Dawn.

It is meant to prompt IC Debate and Reaction - based on the bolded line - and I encourage those reading to respond in game as though this were the opinion of some Britannians.

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My memory is bit hazy about the time when Trammel first came about. I am curious if there was any fiction that states or implies this? I suppose the factions is a solid argument but it does not apply to various places such as T2A entry points which do have guard protection.

Without fiction, it is debatable if Felucca was completely abandoned at any given point. The reality on the ground might be different, of course. We should probably have an IC or OOC discussion about this in game one of these days.

G

Gilthas

My memory is bit hazy about the time when Trammel first came about. I am curious if there was any fiction that states or implies this? I suppose the factions is a solid argument but it does not apply to various places such as T2A entry points which do have guard protection.

Without fiction, it is debatable if Felucca was completely abandoned at any given point. The reality on the ground might be different, of course. We should probably have an IC or OOC discussion about this in game one of these days.
Warder may be able to find it faster than I can, but I remember the basic idea behind Trammel was that Lord British wanted a safe place for his subjects, so he worked to create a world where the power of the virtues were absolute. Once he succeeded, he picked up and left. The True Britannians may have been left behind to attempt to eventually wrest control back from the other factions. But to some, the throne "abandoned" Felucca and thus no longer has any right to it.

[Edited to add:] Damn and blast, this is all I've found so far. Since the BNN archives only run back to 2007, so any hope of searching there is lost.

Z

Zanthes[EcZ]

[OOC Response]

The entire issue would not have even been an issue had it not gone to print!

AHHH! The power of the press! Adding speculation and opinion to what could have been just a factual account seems to fuel small fires of thought, even if they are misguided or just that - opinions and speculations!

With that said, its not beyond politics and the intrigue behind it to even suspect that a large kingdom would recognize and bolster other smaller realms with the sole intent of 'absorbing' them when they become valuable, or the time suits them. Suspicion always would be there, in real life. Why not in Britannia!

It will be interesting to see if any 'official' response will come from this, or if it will be left to smolder and die on its own. The lore of Trammel/Fel is vague enough to allow it to go in many directions. Have fun with it. I know we will!

Very warm regards!
Elevere Zanthes owner! :D

[END OOC]

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hail Citizens and Folks,

Sosaria has undergone many changes, both physical and meta-physical, as well as temporal. Lord British was once King of one of four known lands. In time the known lands were united under the Rule of Lord British in the Kingdom of Britannia. Like most Kings Lord British claimed a divine right to rule granted by the creator, but his rule was also welcomed and supported by the vast majority of his subjects.

We may never know all the small reasons that together became his reason for leaving his beloved subjects and the lands he united. In my heart and mind, Lord Cantabrigian British shall ever be my Leige-Lord, True King, and Friend. Should circumstances ever change, and should "he who was and is" Lord British ever choose to Return to us, I have tasked Scribes, Viziers, Lore-Masters, and Mages of many magical disciplines to discern ways to aid in his Return. Unknown to most, Lord British, Lord Blackthorn and others believed lost or dead, are in fact alive and safe pending their rescue, restoration, or Return!

For better or worse, we were left with a Ruling Council, themselves claimed murdered, and we fell prey to dark forces who ever have sought to undo Lord British' rule and governance under The Virtues and Rule of Law. Lord Casca, whom I believe was "controlled" by such dark forces, seized the Throne. So long as the People retain allegiance and fidelity to the example and Virtues of Lord British under valid Laws, our people shall flourish and prosper. However, even Lord British was subject to the whims of Time Lord's and demi-gods controlling our world's very existence. [OOC: EA and the Dev Team, Cal etc] Dawn, a skilled warrior and ward of Dupre, came forth from self imposed absence, at a time of great need in Britannia and rallied the people against truly dark forces. She has accepted Crown and Throne, some say happily, others say grudgingly.

For myself, I desire stability in leadership and governance. I have long sought our own "Ruling Council," [OOC: Player-Characters chosen by the Players and sanctioned by Dev's and or EM's] to SERVE our people, whether under Monarch or other leadership. Such a Council could prove invaluable in improving communication, cooperation, and coordination as events unfold upon our world. Until this dream becomes virtual reality, I Honor and support the Leader(s) we are given.

I look forward to hearing more upon this topic and to participating as our future unfolds.

[OOC: My many Characters and resources, finite tho they be, and my imagination and creativity are pledged to improving our Players enjoyment of UO in general, and life on Baja in particular.]

Lord Elladan of Trinsic
Legendary Paladin
For Virtue, Honor, Monarch, and the People

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

EMSeppo said:
Without fiction, it is debatable if Felucca was completely abandoned at any given point.
Mm.

You're right. There is no single point in UO Fiction where Britannia comes out - whether in the form of a speech or official document - and proclaims its intent to cede control of the Old World. It might then be the position of Queen Dawn - and the Nobles that elected her - that Old Britannia belongs to them; and despite leaving those people to be ravaged and murdered for more than a decade how dare those Feluccan's claim otherwise.

In fact I hope so. It creates conflict; the intention of Lorenzo's Addenum. Without conflict there is no story.

However there is more than one Official and Canon source - Lore but not Fiction - that supports the argument Queen Dawn and Britannia does not control Felucca. The Ultima Online Renaissance Guide. See Page 216.

Felucca and Trammel

The shards, being broken pieces of the Gem of Immortality, contain multiple facets or faces. When the Wizard Mondain was slain, his apprentice, the Enchantress Minax, escaped the Avatar by using a powerful spell that transported her to a different facet of the same shard. From here she planned her revenge, seeking a way to travel back to the original facet from whence she escaped and destroy both Lord British and the Avatar. She has found willing slaves in the creatures of the Dark Facet, which she calls Minaxia in her own honor.

She has unlocked the secret to traveling between shards, and has been using her willing followers to subject Lord British, and in fact all of Britannia, to attacks by her monstrous minions. At length, she forced Lord British to use all his available resources and powers to move his people and loyal followers to yet another facet of the shard, where the Virtues block Minax herself from attacking him directly. Unfortunately her minions can still make the journey into Lord British's new home, but because the Virtues hold sway over the new lands, players will find themselves unable to harm each other by direct or indirect means.

Two Similar Worlds

Minax holds complete dominion over the facet that Lord British was forced to abandon. The worlds themselves are identical, but on the Dark Facet, players can hurt each other and on the Virtue Facet no player can harm one another.

Which One is for You?

Despite the struggle between Minax and Lord British, the Minax facet is not a realm of pure evil, nor is the Virtue facet a land of absolute goodness. The character of Ultima Online is determined by the people, including you, who inhabit it. Thus, each facet will have its own strong and weak points depending on the style of play you prefer.​

There is also the aforementioned Faction War. See Page 218.

Note the bolded text. Even then the resentment was building to a flash point. And despite Britannia's numerous attempts to preserve dominion in Felucca things were beginning to crumble.

When Minax took over Lord British's realm, she started a rift, both among her followers, and among the followers of Lord British. Both sides split into two different groups, with different ideals, and war ensued among all 4 sides.

The rebellion began in Moonglow, where the council of Mages decided that Lord British was no longer fit to rule Britannia. He'd not only failed to protect his lands from the invading hordes, but many of his own people had abandoned him and fled to the side of darkness, taking post with one of the factions of evil.

British's loyal followers tried to crush the rumors quickly that Moonglow was planning on seceding from the throne's grasp, but this only furthered their cause, making those who died or were jailed martyrs for the cause of the mages. The Council of Mages now believes that what Britannia needs is a new leader: one who can not only lead Britannia against Minax, but who can also keep peace once it's restored. To this end, they have begun preparations to do something drastic.

Though they've never had to do this themselves, they are the keepers of the arcane knowledge, and they have prepared many notes and items which they will need in their quest. They oppose Minax, and Lord British, and as such, are not safe from danger in either company.

Meanwhile, Minax has something of a rebellion herself occurring. Strangely enough, from within her own rank and file, there are those who are calling for the Shadow Lords to be released from the Abyss to take their rightful place as the rulers of the dark land. While her minions are grateful to Minax for allowing them the opportunity to strike terror at Lord British, they feel she is only useful as a magical tool, and is not powerful enough to lead them against Lord British for an extended period of time. To this end they have begun preparations to do something drastic of their own; call for the Shadow Lords.

Her minions are now split amongst those who would follow her, and those who wish to see her dethroned. Infighting is the only thing thus far that is keeping Minax from working out a way to breach the virtue spell that protects Lord British and his followers.

The Dark Enchantress lost control of Felucca as soon as she had won it.

It was then that the various Kingdoms and States began to '...prop themselves up' - paraphrazing the immortal words of Lord Casca - and exert their independence in the absence of Imperial Rule.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

But this was not the beginning. The Kingdom of Dawn emerges long before that based on the same notion as the Council of Mages; Cantabrigian was no longer fit to rule. Avalon also exerted its independence; I am told British launched an assault on the Dead Dove Tavern with a Cannoneer Squadron.

War between Britannia and the Old World Kingdoms is the rule rather than the exception.

Gilthas said:
[Edited to add:] Damn and blast, this is all I've found so far. Since the BNN archives only run back to 2007, so any hope of searching there is lost.
You can find the entire Britannian News Network / Town Cryer Archive here.

There I found another interesting piece of lore. It does not claim that the Britannians relinquished their perceived 'Ownership' of Felucca but it does emphasize that the Britannians could no longer maintain a hold on the Old World and therefore retreated to what we now call New Britannia.

BNN: The Casting of the Spell

Then Trinsic fell completely. A darkened sea of undead, called forth by the black temple in the city’s heart, swarmed the gates laying waste to all in its path. All walks of humanity brought valiant efforts forth, yet could not stem the tide. Always more would come, seeking; killing; destroying. With the power of the moon keys this blight eventually ended, and the temple was shattered, but the cost was very high.

Knowing this was only one small spark of light in a vast encroaching darkness, our king sought my aid in discovering a solution - a solution that would protect his citizens from what he knew was to come. One final and irrevocable. For long days and nights I searched the vaults of the castle and libraries. Mystical tomes were discarded stack by stack; scrolls tossed aside with barely a cursory glance. It began to seem an almost pointless quest until I happened across an old leather bound book tucked away in a cabinet. Many pages were decayed beyond legibility yet when coupled with what Shamino learned while a prisoner in the realm of Minax, I knew this was what I sought.

I will not lie to you when I say I was unsure as to the effects of the spell within the tome as well as the stone devices for which it called. Many of the passages offered obscure references to sealing off threats, evil, and other such stuff. But when the man dying of thirst is unsure the glass of water is safe to drink, he will do so anyway out of desperation. And I was parched.

In haste the stone obelisks were carved and placed in the cities of Britannia. Eight in all, they sat waiting for the proper words to ignite the magic they would gather. Words I myself would speak to them from the book. As you are well able to see, I made my decision and began the incantation.

I stood at the largest of the stone structures in Britain as I opened the tome and started. All over the land I could sense the other structures ignite with life and burst to the heavens above. Pure energy as I have never felt in all of my years of arcane studies tore through me; cradled me in its grasp. I pulsed with the magic, drew it into me. Then released it into the night sky. As the incantation neared completion, a moonstone fell from a pouch on my belt and landed on the ground. After a few seconds, the moonstone buried itself in the ground and an unusual looking moongate sprung into being in its place. I felt myself being drawn into the strange moongate. What occurred next is possibly beyond even the bards to put into words. The air split and shifted. In one breath I was staring into an endless torrent of light, the next I was looking over a pristine landscape. The world I had always dreamed of. Our world. With a silent roar of thunder my consciousness slid from my grasp.

Gilthas said:
The True Britannians may have been left behind to attempt to eventually wrest control back from the other factions. But to some, the throne "abandoned" Felucca and thus no longer has any right to it.
There is however some evidence suggesting that - while the Britannians no longer control the Old World - the High Council under Blackthorne / Francesco did maintain a presence there.

You mentioned it. The True Britannians. This is the description from the Faction Stone in Old Britain.

"True Britannians are loyal to the Throne of Lord British. They refuse to give up their homelands to vile Minax, and detest the Shadowlords for their evil ways. In addition the Council of Mages threatens the existance of their ruler, and as such they have armed themselves and prepared for War with all."

There is no doubt that 'Old Castle Britannia' - the Seat of the Wolfgang and British Dynasties - remains under the control of Britannia; even if the remainder of their former capitol lies in ruins and exchanges hands like some cheap tavern wench.

The Queen - and the High Council before her - might have some clout in Felucca. I understand that Captain Jenkins possesses a network of spies that operates throughout the Old World.

In Ultima Online: Lord Blackthornes Revenge by Todd McFarlane there is also this line delivered by Dupre to Clainin. "I fear not. My duty is to command our military forces in Felucca and keep Guards at the ready in Trammel. Paladin I may be but that doesn't make me fit to be King." In subsequent fiction that 'military force' is the True Britannian Faction where he stands in opposition to the likes of Revlo (Shadowlords), Keeonan (Minax) and Anon (Council of Mages).

Citizens of Britannia - Lorenzo amongst them - might choose to see things from a perspective much different than Nicholas or even the Queen he professes to serve. That is their ancestral home. Minax has lost power. The Shadowlords and the Council of Mages are in ruin. To Lorenzo it is time the Queen retrieve Felucca and impose the Virtue Religion on those 'damned heathens.'

But the real power seems to lie with those groups that have emerged and separated themselves from Britannia.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

BajaElladan said:
Sosaria has undergone many changes, both physical and meta-physical, as well as temporal. Lord British was once King of one of four known lands. In time the known lands were united under the Rule of Lord British in the Kingdom of Britannia. Like most Kings Lord British claimed a divine right to rule granted by the creator, but his rule was also welcomed and supported by the vast majority of his subjects.
Wrong.

Lord British commanded one of the eight major kingdoms - Akalabeth - spread across the four continents of 'Old Sosaria' during the Dark Age. He is the successor to the Wolfgang Dynasty of whom Mondain is heir.

The Kingdoms were as thus.

The Continent (of Sosaria?) - or the Lands of Lord British - was divided between the Kingdom of Akalabeth (Britannia) and the Kingdom of the 'Lost King.' We can speculate on who the Lost King was. Some fiction suggests that British - rising in power at the decline of the Wolfgang Dynasty - was granted half of the Kingdom by King Wolfgang. It is possible Akalabeth was the entire Continent and the Lost King was a reference to Wolfgang or his Eldest Son.

The Lands of Dark Unknown - whom I speculate might be Malas - was divided between Olympus (King Olympus) and the Kingdom of the Black Dragon.

The Land of Feudal Lords - which we know today to be the Isles of Tokuno - was divided between Rondolin and Barataria. We do not know which Kingdom the Empress and Zento developed from but we know the Hanzagiri Clan (Treasures of Tokuno Fiction) to be a rival line perhaps representing the opposing state.

The Lands of Danger and Despair - Serpents Isle in Ultima Prime and speculated to be Ilshenar in Ultima Online - was the domain of the Kingdom of the White Dragon. If it turns out Ilshenar and Serpents Isle are one and the same - just flip the map of Ilshenar on its side and place against the other; not to mention Monitor / Mont'or - then one of those Castles might be the lost domain of Shamino.​

British would retain Lordship - but not monarchal power - until the end of the Age of Darkness (Ultima IV). I compare him to Charles Martel; King in Power but not in Name ruling on behalf of a dying former line of Kings (Wolfgang / Merovingians).

He would consolidate the Kingdom - which would be renamed in his honor - at the end of the that Age and found the Virtue Religion. In Ultima Canon that was following the defeat of Exodus. In Ultima Online that is after the defeat of Lord Robere the Upsurper on the Crimson Plains.