• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Blame It On The Sake!

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As Told By Nicholas the Old

Maribel was not in a pleasant mood. In fact, she was absolutely fuming.

"Those bloody flamin' sorry excuses for menfolk," the waitress growled, visible frustration painted across her pretty face. "If those louts keep this up, I will show them why my last lover sought a restraining order against me!" She strode quickly around the corner of the Britain Tailor Shop, careful to dodge the massive puddle of rainwater that had formed in the old cobblestone street. She did not want to tarnish her new silver-leather slippers. In her nimble hands, she expertly balanced a nearly full pitcher of some strange, clear substance. "You know, really?! Why can't Master Otik send one of the lads to deliver Xel his sake...!? Really, why do I always have to be the delivery girl!?" Maribel sighed to herself.

She paused mid-stride, catching something out-of-place in the corner of her eye. At the foot of a lamp-post, laying in the grass, was a crumpled vellum note. Only a few feet away from it was another piece of parchment; this time an envelope with a broken wax seal. A wax seal?! she thought to herself. It must mean it's important. Important stuff! I'm sure Xel can wait.

Maribel knelt down, carefully setting the pitcher aside. She lifted the note from the damp ground, uncrumpling it. The note was written in a skilled, elegant cursive script. Whomever had written this was a man of letters.
Greetings Sara,

I must first apologize, fair lady. I would have approached you with this matter in person, but urgent matters seem to demand my attention elsewhere. I have some sensitive information that I am passing along to you; things that I am hoping you might be able to look into for me. I know that you have eyes-and-ears throughout the Five Kingdoms, and are in a much better position than I to determine the meaning behind these strange and troubling matters. I have included a couple sketches, along with a log taken by a witness to these events.

I arrived in Britain City late yesterday afternoon, proceeding on foot to Blackthorne's Keep. I have been seeking a private audience with our new liege for well past a fortnight now, hoping that I might be able to barter a compromise between our kingdom and that of our longtime friend and ally, the Kingdom of Dawn. Mayhaps, he would be more apt' to listen to a retired sorcerer who has long served the Royal Crown of *the words "Akalabeth and" seem to be scratched out here* Britannia, than the Duchess of a Kingdom he considers rebelling against his authority? I would like to think the best of this new king, but I still do not know yet. Alas, such a meeting was not to be so. Despite my protests, the guardsmen on the bridge blocked my path, and told me once more that the King was not receiving visitors today (How dare they!? They should know who I am!).

I was about to leave in frustration, when I was approached by a superstitious and paranoid knight; who proceeded to harass me and call me a witch. Apparently, he was part of "The Inquisition", and claimed that I needed to be watched, before I brought some curse down upon innocent citizens. Clearly, I am some evil mastermind. I suppose I must forgive such ignorance. The average Britannian is an ignorant, superstitious dolt, who believes all the dark tales about wizards told to him by his mother in order to frighten him into keeping quiet at night, the consequence of which he expects me to start leaping through Britain naked, gibbering and ranting and transforming him into a frog with the wave of my wand. Not that I couldn't, mind you!

Nevertheless, if you could look into this so-called "Inquisition," it would be much appreciated. The man left me with a rather nasty cut on my shoulder, and I would like to return the favor.

Nevertheless, I was on my way out of the city when I was approached by "Mum" (some of you know her as "the Widow"), who brought me to a man named "Augustus." I was rather shocked when she first mentioned the name; one I've not heard spoken to me since my youth. Then, I realized it wasn't me she was speaking to. Apparently, Lord Augustus and his sister, Lady Pritty, sought tomes of Sosaria's history and lore. I provided them with the location of Dawn's Royal Library, and the "Buuk Liburi" of the "Dawnurk Horde."

Once concluded, I proceeded on my way. I arrived at the West Britain Bank about an hour later, where I found Master Ceno and Mum discussing something in rather hushed tones. I approached, just as the widow and the legendary historian of the Mage Tower were saying their farewells. I was about to question Ceno on their discussions, when I was distracted by a squeaky voice that demanded carrots...

I looked at the ground behind me, and spied a small furry critter staring up at us. A talking brown rabbit, no less. Of course, my first instinct suggested that it was none other than Sir Zackarias. I think he all know what happens when he irritates our good friend, Lady WildStar. Then it spoke again.

I recognized that voice. It was none other than...Xel the Wanderer!

It was unclear what he had done to deserve this punishment; but knowing Xel, it doesn't take a stretch of imagination to put the pieces together.

I would've offered to help the afflicted lad, but it seemed like he was having too much fun in his newfound form. Not to mention, my attention was distracted by the arrival of Kemer the Royal Guard, who stumbled down the street in a drunken stupor. He seemed rather depressed about something, which actually left me slightly concerned for the good natured fellow. He stumbled up the stairs to the top of the bank, with Ceno and I following closely behind. We were joined by Xel the Wanderer, the rebellious Zorax, and a recently returned Widow. Knights Zackarias and Shovel of Dawn, along with Madgalena of Queen Sheba's Kingdom, arrived moments later.

Ceno and I surrounded the lad, and you might say that we began to interrogate the poor elf.

We expressed our concern for our friend Clainin, and the drunk man revealed that the Royal Thaumaturgist was taken to one of the towns in Trammel, the New World**. Considering the widows reading in regards to Clainin, I found this information to be very...useful.

A great many other things happened that evening, but I fear I am running out of paper. Nevertheless, don't tell anyone what I have just told you (except maybe Oriana), and don't come looking for you. I shall come find you once I have found more information on...an old friend.

Warmest Regards,

Nicholas
Maribel folded the letter, slipping it into the pocket of her half-apron. She seriously doubted that Lady Sara, the famous herald of the Ancient Order, would simply discard a sensitive letter in the street like this. Obviously, it had not made it to its destination. She would find Lady Sara, and deliver the message herself.

Suddenly, she heard a loud scraping noise behind her. She looked around in confusion, realizing the pitcher was missing. Turning on her heel, a strange brown rabbit was on its hind-legs, desperately trying to drag the pitcher that was twice its size away. "Saaaaaaakkkkeeeeeeeee!..."

"Xel...!?"

* Five Kingdoms: The five kingdoms refers to the various independent entities within our current world. These include Britannia, Dawn, Luna, Umbra, and Zento.

** The New World: The New World refers to Trammel, whereas the Old World refers to Felucca. It is one of the terms used by the peasantry, and some people in Hyperborea (Dawn, Avalon, the Borderlands, and Vallachia).
** The Baja Roleplaying & Event Alliance [BRPA **

Nicholas the Old [BRPA, Baja], Vash the Harper [BRPA, Chesapeake], Kenshin Hirokami [BRPA, Siege Perilous]

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give this woman (and everyone who collaborated with Sara and this article) an award! I laughed, I cried, I raised my eyebrows, and I laughed some more! 5 out of 5 sake shots! :shots:

Oh, Maribel. I have no idea how you put up with me. :D Everyone knows that sake is best served from the hands of a lady! Okay, maybe that's just my interpretation, but it's very valid. If you see a bunny that's passed out on the roadside going towards Skara Brae, well, give it some love, folks. LOVE.

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot! Who would've thought that Lady WildStar would get slightly offended because I said that, "Her pie is one of the best that I've ever had!" COME ON. It's pie, folks! *coughs* :D

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot! Who would've thought that Lady WildStar would get slightly offended because I said that, "Her pie is one of the best that I've ever had!" COME ON. It's pie, folks! *coughs* :D

yeah sure Xel *Grins*
*whispers: nice one Xel!*
*looks around to see if anyone noticed him whisper*

Btw Sara, love the new signature! looks great!

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Btw Sara, love the new signature! looks great!
Thanks, Ceno ... Nicholas the Old designed the avatar, then another friend combined the avatar and a photo of the mountains where I live for the sig. I am not artistic, but I do have artistic friends! :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

:eek:

Great article! And now I want some sake, but there's none to be had. I'll have to try to get some this week. ;)

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:eek:

Great article! And now I want some sake, but there's none to be had. I'll have to try to get some this week. ;)
I grilled a really awesome spread of BBQ goodness yesterday as I had family coming over. I had marinated half chickens, ribs, tri-tip, Italian sausage, and rib eye. I also grilled lobster, salmon, and veggies; I did these last as they don't take long, and I wanted those to be hot/fresh when the family arrived. I had some baked potatoes in the oven as well. Really fun, good times, really laid back, relaxed, and happy atmosphere. I served warm and cold sake for the adults and strawberry lemonade for the kids. The sake went really well with everything; I lucked out on that. If you would've been here, you would've experienced a Sake and BBQ Euphoria, and you would've been able to take some leftovers home! Mmmm, leftovers...*droools* :D

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We may have to keep Xel and Magdalena seperated now!
They may compete for Baja's best cook!
Oh, Magdalena is Baja's best cook, no doubt about it! She was the first GM chef I met in UO.. and that was quite awhile back. I also believe she may have contributed the first pan of cookies to Exodus' GM Chef Cookie Collection, which has evolved into a GM Chef Cookie Museum, located in Trammel. (His collection turned out to be a historical tribute to chefs as the pans of cookies no longer hold a maker's mark.)

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs*

No, no. Magdalena is the Chef! Besides, I'm still trying to fulfill my dream of opening Xel's Meditative Resort and Spa filled with everything to the mundane to the exotic as well as topless attendants who will attend to your needs. How can I expect to compete with Mags when I can't even open up my dream establishment??? To date, I now have seventy gold pieces in the bank. All I need is approximately a bajillion more gold, and I'll be able to get my resort up and running! WOO HOO! :D

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG! I cannot believe that my pan of cookies still exist in the world somewhere (wow those must be stale)!

It also answers my question about not being able to mark pans of cookies anymore (so I will stop paging the GMs 20x a day about it). [Sorry, GM guys]

What a fabulous picture Lady Sara. I'm laughing about the first chef thing (I think I was the only one who actually let the title show at the time) I love it. I'm honoured that it's at Lord Exodus' Cookie Museum - which I will now have to visit. How is Lord Exodus - still playing I hope? I have his sashes and clothes he made *cough* a decade ago *cough*. Oh and Exodus, I can kill more than a ghostie in the cemetary now *laughs*.

Wonderful to be back in Baja, I love it here. Hey can you mark a cake anymore (because I have a GM Chef Cake collection and I'll stop paging the GMs 20x a day about that also).

I love Xel and his BBQ! I will share the Best Chef Title as we roll in Sake!

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG! I cannot believe that my pan of cookies still exist in the world somewhere (wow those must be stale)!

It also answers my question about not being able to mark pans of cookies anymore (so I will stop paging the GMs 20x a day about it). [Sorry, GM guys]

What a fabulous picture Lady Sara. I'm laughing about the first chef thing (I think I was the only one who actually let the title show at the time) I love it. I'm honoured that it's at Lord Exodus' Cookie Museum - which I will now have to visit. How is Lord Exodus - still playing I hope? I have his sashes and clothes he made *cough* a decade ago *cough*. Oh and Exodus, I can kill more than a ghostie in the cemetary now *laughs*.

Wonderful to be back in Baja, I love it here. Hey can you mark a cake anymore (because I have a GM Chef Cake collection and I'll stop paging the GMs 20x a day about that also).

I love Xel and his BBQ! I will share the Best Chef Title as we roll in Sake!
I don't know if the pan of cookies is stale or not ... If I were to try to taste any of the cookies in the Cookie Museum, I am certain I would hear 'Kal Vas Vlam', then my ghost would hear 'I ban thee'. :stretcher: Yes, Exodus is still playing, and he, too, can kill more than a ghost in a cemetary!

Sadly, cakes do not mark now either, as they are in the stackable category.

It has been great to see you back on Baja and so active. If you decide you want to try growing plants 'again', let me know. I'll set you up with seeds and my infamous plant growing 101 guide.

Exodus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am still alive and well, and play active on Baja.I may not make many posts here, but I do lurk quite regularly.

I seriously hope that someday again that I can add to my cookie collection, but even so.. I hold that collection dearly and display it proudly. I always felt a great accomplishment when I could find a GM Chef ( before soulstones )

Stop by and check out the house if you can, make sure to sign the message board. The room designs have themes for the most part, but the credit should go all to Lady Sara for her time spent helping me not make the house look like a cyclone hit it.

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[It has been great to see you back on Baja and so active. If you decide you want to try growing plants 'again', let me know. I'll set you up with seeds and my infamous plant growing 101 guide.
[/QUOTE]

Well I do have Nicholas the Old and Wildstar of Dawn to thank for all of the activity. I saw the post for old guilds and decided to stick my head in the room for a second and it's been non-stop since. Happy to see that Baja is coming back to life (events, EM and player-run). I may stick around for a bit.

Unfortunately, though I would love to take you up on that plant offer, anything green still tends to become a victim under my care. (I have the chest of dead twigs to prove it)

I do recall however, a Lady Kat and potions book the first time I tried. And I STILL have that plant care book in my pack, and it's still insured from all those years ago.

Glad to be back.