• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Bedlam: Riches and Fame, or Death and New Robes?

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bedlam: Riches and Fame, or Death and New Robes?

It started out as a peaceful day in the world…Not one soul knew of the terror that would befall a group of adventurers later that day…None would know of the brave attempts that would be…well…attempted.

It began for me, as a trip to ask our new EM some questions on the Marriage Book in his hall. *shifty eyes* I have my reasons… Alas, he was not there, But another soul was. Each of us seemed to not care for the “King” Casca, although my views had been public since the open attempts on his life.

We discussed Casca for a while, and then it was then asked, if I would like to attend a trip into the bowels of Bedlam, into the fabled hidden Champion Spawn. Naturally, it took some time to think on it. That time was cut short when he said he would “be honored” if I attended. Well, even I can’t say no to that.

Unfortunately, I had never acquired the needed form to enter Bedlam. So before I could attend this exciting hunt, I would first need to get that form.

After obtaining the needed item, and a death robe from the pixies..(Picture not shown due to the embarrassment of dying to a pixie.) I met with the others of the group. Jb, Robert Pen Dragon and Valthonis Majere. We cast the needed spells, and ran down into the crypts…

…And straight into the jaws of what seemed like hell! Boglings and Plague Spawns! Easy enough on their own, but these little fella’s pack quite the punch when they have you cornered!

The dragons belched flame and magical energies, Jb and Robert backing them up with heals. Myself, turning the air frigid through necromancy and shattering the bodies. Valthonis summoning the deadly purple menace that we all know and love; Energy Vortex’s.

We pushed our way through the low level, growing bolder and bolder with each falling monster. Suddenly, giant plant like creatures erupted from the ground! Large piles of slime-like creatures pushing through the floor right behind them! I knew what we faced as well as the others. Plague Beasts and Bog Things!

These foul creatures proved more difficult, poisoning and healing quicker than thought, And believe me, when a Plague Beast hits, you know it…As unfortunately…your dashing reporter found out to well…multiple times…

Thankfully, due to teamwork and Gift of Life, no one stayed in the awful limbo of grey and dark grey for long. Robes littered the floors and bones decayed, but still we pressed on. Into the hordes we pressed, refusing to back down. Our spells flashed through the crypt, illuminating in strange light the disturbing scenes that lay before us. Who knew what awful things occurred down here? And who were those buried here? Students? Teachers? Perhaps that will require further investigation.

Just when we thought we had things under control and calm, more foul denizens of evil leaped forth! More foul than before, more deadly than before, but still just as killable.

I had fought these Plague Beast Lords before on many occasions. But these Interred Grizzles… These I had only fought once. And quickly forgot about their “special ability”. Liquid poured from them, and I stepped in it to get next to the dragons “Merlin” and “My Man Screechie” . Flames erupted around the others and myself. Our armor quickly began shattering. Sadly, many times we were not quick enough to remove our bodies from the fires and fell to the ground.

Still, even against these odds we fought on. Never showing fear. Showing nothing but courage and grim determination, we fought on. Our spells crashed like waves against the mountains that were our foes. We slowed them friends, but still they came.

Our armor, already weakened, began to give out. Giving one last look at the altar in the middle of the room, we turned and fled up the stairs. Dodging the graveyard inhabitants was our last challenge as we burst out into the (semi) fresh air of Umbra.

Talking for awhile, we came up with some ideas for next time.

1. A larger party will take down the spawn quicker, tamers with their Greater Dragons especially.
2. Taking the spawn carefully will result in less deaths for all.
3. Have fun while doing it. It isn’t all about the personal gains involved, just do something to do it.
4. Have ALL armor fully repaired before setting step inside the crypt. The Grizzles will, literally, burn through your armor quickly.
5. See Number 3 one last time. Than repeat it.

Did we learn something from this journey? I’d like to think so. Did we care that we died so many times? I doubt it. Did we have fun in the attempt? *grins* Oh yes. Did anyone get anything special like an artie? Personally, I don’t think any of us cared.

So friends, Take the time to try something new. Go where others dare not, test your mettle. Find something to challenge yourself other than being first in line to get a new item.

But for now, it is once again that I leave you with this message. May your journeys be profitable, and the deaths less frequent!

Farewell for now! ~Va’lis Razele.

A personal thanks to Jb, Robert and Valthonis for the invite. Truly, you three have the spirit of Catskills alive within you.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EXTREMELY well covered! Thank you for all the screen shots. I think I have a new goal to go after now.

But WOW. It don't look easy. I would love to propose a trip down there, a LARGE group of people. Is this Friday evening good for anyone? I'll start putting the word out. Not since Meraktus have I been this excited. Now tell me...was the interred grizzles that were there, equally as strong as the peerless one?

Again...thank you for the story. Very, very nice.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And fun was had by all. It was a good fight that sadly had to be surendered to the beasts this time. One other thing not mentioned was the balm of protection (new stealable balm) is designed to help against the acid the Grizzles tend to spew all over the place. I had dished out some before the battle but sadly the timer ran out on us. We just couldnt budge the spawn past the grizzles and plague beast lords. had we had a couple more I think we could have done it.

Also dagger and scissors are recomended to carry as well. the dragons have an annoying tendancy to paralyze them and surgery on the plague beast lord takes care of these imobile beasts.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bloody well done folks....success can't always be measured by victory only!
:)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bob, if it's Friday evening, I'm in.

Other good characters to bring along: Provoker, discorder, dedicated healer (I can cover that job). In our last trip to the Weald (covered here by Vallend), one disco-tamer made all the difference. I suspect that we'd see a similar story in Bedlam.

And Bob, if you want an interred grizzle preview, head to the back of Paroxy's lair among the poison elementals, balrons and Putrefier. They're not too tough (IMO), but take a while to kill. I'd post their stats, but uoguide seems to be down right now and they aren't included in the hunter's guide here.

R

RichDC

Just want to give you guys a bit of advice, we as a guild have done this spawn a few times on great lakes, a GREAT tactic when approaching the level 3 spawn (plague beast lords) is to lay down lots of paralyse fields.

When the Lords run through them they harden(go glacial blue) when this occurs use a blade as if skinning the corpse and hey presto...They are dead.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
paralyze spell works as well.....the any blade will dissect. Grab a part and cut it out...and down they go!

R

RichDC

paralyze spell works as well.....the any blade will dissect. Gram a part and cut it out...and down they go!
No need to grab anything, you are correct paralyse spell works. When theres that many it is best to drop field rather than have to try and target them all. Plus it helps stop the grizz's momentarily.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow good story and excelent detels, hope ya get it next time.