• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New UO Newsletter

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Since I figure not everyone might not be signed up to receive them.

UO Newsletter

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"1. Why can some Lions heal and some cannot?

Wild lions have an approximate 1 in 6 chance to get healing ability when fighting. This only applies to wild lions, not tamed lions."

This tells us absolutely nothing, thanks.

Getting credit when Provoking at champ spawns

Who has ever taken a provo to a champ spawn..?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Re-reads newsletter*
:facepalm:
Nope, it don't get any better.....UO for the few not the many....

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to mention we are not giving up on new castle designs, we will be releasing a TC1 only tool to allow you to build a castle design we can make available as a non-customizable house in game.

@Mesanna Have you decided if Castles with "blocking items" like trees, shrubs or rocks are going to be included in this castle re-vamp?
As it stands, if we were to "swap" to one of the new designs it would either say Incorrect placement and not allow it or you'd have a tree or rock in part of the new castle?
You would basically have to clean and flatten the whole plot which would require a client update for each castle?

Do these new castles need to follow the base plot layout of the old castle or do you plan on massively changing the house placement rules?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"1. Why can some Lions heal and some cannot?

Wild lions have an approximate 1 in 6 chance to get healing ability when fighting. This only applies to wild lions, not tamed lions."

Getting credit when Provoking at champ spawns

Who has ever taken a provo to a champ spawn..?
I use my bard and provo pretty regularly at spawns :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like most if not all of the PvP complaints have been spoken to in regard to pets, I am sure it is not enough but it never is.

Necro pets are viable to a extent and in the right circumstances they just tend to be lower HP pet than the more popular Hiryus and CUs. That being said if the Dread Spiders, Tsukis and Ossein Rams started out at the same slots as they are now with 25%-30% higher Stats (Str, Mana, and HP) they would be better overall. TBH I use them for a handful of reasons Life Leech, Wither, and Blood oath. Only thing I really think that should be added to their spell list is animate dead.

The rest of the newsletter is meaningless mumbo jumbo to me :)

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
>>>Fixing Carpentry and Tinkering BODs<<<

Why just these BODs? Some of the bods make no sense at all to fill for Alchemy (nexus core, gold dust), Fletching (any of the elven shortbows or longbos LBODs)

Carpentry is almost useless; way too many difficult smalls, and expensive to fill the LBODS, and nothing worthwhile to claim.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
looking forward to building new castle designs on TC.
yep.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Why just these BODs? Some of the bods make no sense at all to fill for Alchemy (nexus core, gold dust), Fletching (any of the elven shortbows or longbos LBODs)

Carpentry is almost useless; way too many difficult smalls, and expensive to fill the LBODS, and nothing worthwhile to claim.
Many carpentry and tinkering BODs do not work at all. I also told them there needs to be more useful rewards in both. We can pester them about the expensive BODs when they fix the ones that don't work.

Leave the Nexxus, gold dust, lantern deeds on the floor.

And they may give us a viable necro pet!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looks like most if not all of the PvP complaints have been spoken to in regard to pets, I am sure it is not enough but it never is.

Necro pets are viable to a extent and in the right circumstances they just tend to be lower HP pet than the more popular Hiryus and CUs. That being said if the Dread Spiders, Tsukis and Ossein Rams started out at the same slots as they are now with 25%-30% higher Stats (Str, Mana, and HP) they would be better overall. TBH I use them for a handful of reasons Life Leech, Wither, and Blood oath. Only thing I really think that should be added to their spell list is animate dead.

That's a contradiction. Either they are viable or they are not. They need to have 800HP and 700 STR and have room for scrolls. They do not right now.

Its the fault of the coding for points and starting level. The Necro and SS skills give them 1000 points too much so they are a slot too high.

They actually looked at what the players said at the meet and greet. I'm very :D

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a contradiction. Either they are viable or they are not. They need to have 800HP and 700 STR and have room for scrolls. They do not right now.

Its the fault of the coding for points and starting level. The Necro and SS skills give them 1000 points too much so they are a slot too high.

They actually looked at what the players said at the meet and greet. I'm very :D
I rarely put more than 700 points on a CU or Hiryu usually mid 600s and never have any problems keeping them alive. I have some I short in other areas and put 900-1000hp on and they are no more or less effective than the lower hp ones. Just don't regen stam and mana as fast and miss a few scrolls. Not everything has to be a super weapon to be effective My necro Tsuki holds up just fine in mobs with 490hp LL and Withering where he falls short is being able to go up against tougher single targets where the wither is not effective and the hits are a lot harder another a 25% increase in HP would improve him overall but still leave him limited as it should be. By the same token a pet that is great at tanking tough single targets should be weaker against masses of mobs. So unless your define effective as every pet being being a super weapon against everything then yes it is a contradiction. LOL my PERVerted Mongbat was tanking the big spider in a group yesterday, for whatever reason the spider hated the mongbat took a lot of healing to keep the little Pervert alive but he finished the spider and got looting rights, I would call that effective :) Could he solo the spider? not a chance even using consume :) But in a group yep effective.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it me or have these newsletter included very little useful information, May newsletter was almost devoted to Clops. I kind of thought the newsletter was supposed to give us an insight into the direction of the game. Considering most of us are not attending that anniversary party maybe you could include what is in store for the patch coming out in a couple weeks.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it me or have these newsletter included very little useful information, May newsletter was almost devoted to Clops. I kind of thought the newsletter was supposed to give us an insight into the direction of the game. Considering most of us are not attending that anniversary party maybe you could include what is in store for the patch coming out in a couple weeks.
Its a feel good piece that is meant to make you feel warm and fuzzy all over and not much else :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Its a feel good piece that is meant to make you feel warm and fuzzy all over and not much else :)
And here I thought it was supposed to give me something to look forward to... You know ... some reason to justify keeping my account/s active another month... or a reason to resubscribe.... but if all it is is hype and stuff that really ought to be on the website... then meh

suppose it's nice to know more of the party plans but those who can't go or won't be going aren't going to be awed by that.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And here I thought it was supposed to give me something to look forward to... You know ... some reason to justify keeping my account/s active another month... or a reason to resubscribe.... but if all it is is hype and stuff that really ought to be on the website... then meh

suppose it's nice to know more of the party plans but those who can't go or won't be going aren't going to be awed by that.
But you get a very very slim chance to win a castle in a raffle if you don't go! And as a after thought I am shocked they are not selling the raffles tickets in the ingame store for only 500 sovs :)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the next publish is at the end of July.......looks like those "random Invasions" we were hoping for are not going to happen.
Will just be some "new" rehashed invasion for a couple weeks before the Anniversary.....
No info on HOW new castles could even happen, no info on anything really other than 'in the last month they have done....nothing?'
Remind me again what we are paying these people for???

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not for customer service thats for sure. Nor to have the product developed and enhanced. More to keep it on life support I think.

Roll on July 17th ... I may never touch UO again after that date.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Disappointing that nothing was mentioned of the story arcs or the invasions. We are running out of time people! I have started thinking that the story arcs will just be EM events, which I refuse to go to now with all the spell-spamming crashes and multi boxers everywhere. I really hope that won't be how it's done. :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But then I always wonder why they don't post that stuff to the website/blog where potential new players would at least get a chance to see it as well.
Does not make much sense does it :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the next publish is at the end of July.......looks like those "random Invasions" we were hoping for are not going to happen.
Will just be some "new" rehashed invasion for a couple weeks before the Anniversary.....
No info on HOW new castles could even happen, no info on anything really other than 'in the last month they have done....nothing?'
Not nothing they *Fixed* yer Phoenix :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Disappointing that nothing was mentioned of the story arcs or the invasions. We are running out of time people! I have started thinking that the story arcs will just be EM events, which I refuse to go to now with all the spell-spamming crashes and multi boxers everywhere. I really hope that won't be how it's done. :(
I understand how you feel but didn't a lot of folk give the team hell when the last story was posted because they thought that it pretty much only related to things happen on GL's EM Events?

Hard to do global events with EM's when 1/2 the EM's don't follow the program and just do what they want. Not going with the global fiction... but that's just a guess. I only attend EM Events on my home shard of GLs because Malachi does such a good job of story telling... I do love Elizabella but Malachi has such a knowledge of UO History that I really enjoy him. I honestly don't care about other shards... no offense to anyone who plays them but GLs is my home and always has been pretty much...

But we all miss global events... And Global storylines... Invasions and such... One night a week maybe two for an hour just doesn't do a whole lot for most people and as you said... when they are mostly spammed by constant spellcasting... as well as you can't see the EM during the story telling part with 15 EVs and 10 RC and a half a dozen or more flappy gargoyles standing right on top of them... and you are lagged by the 5 or 6 groups of multiboxers... it's really nearly impossible to piece any semblance of story together... let alone try to participate..

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Untamed lions, when fighting have a 1 in 6 chance to gain healing. If you tame one that has healing... it has healing. So basically if you want a lion with healing, knock it around for a while.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The only problem with necro pets is that a some of the pets that can learn necro have 100% cold or physical damage or some combo of the two, so when they cast corpse skin they make themselves weaker. Just need to remove that spell from the appropriate creatures or give a means of altering their damage type.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only problem with necro pets is that a some of the pets that can learn necro have 100% cold or physical damage or some combo of the two, so when they cast corpse skin they make themselves weaker. Just need to remove that spell from the appropriate creatures or give a means of altering their damage type.
The ONLY use I have found for corpse skin on any necro pet has been on Siege to train up my other pets resisting spells fast :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ONLY use I have found for corpse skin on any necro pet has been on Siege to train up my other pets resisting spells fast :)
Im just saying you can't make your pet not cast certain spells, so when it casts CS it only weakens itself. Other than that there's no technical issue. Balance issue compared to stronger tames maybe, but that goes beyond necro pets.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im just saying you can't make your pet not cast certain spells, so when it casts CS it only weakens itself. Other than that there's no technical issue. Balance issue compared to stronger tames maybe, but that goes beyond necro pets.
It would be nice if there were a menu in the lore that let you check which spell to cast, or even inthe training have a pool of spells that they can learn, or A pet does not have any spells in their school of magic (Necro, Mage, Mystic, Weaving) Until you drop the scroll for that spell on the pet. I actually like the last idea best.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
But then I always wonder why they don't post that stuff to the website/blog where potential new players would at least get a chance to see it as well.
because they do their emails via mailchimp.
you can find the email archive here: Ultima Online

would be nice to have the same news up on their site though... i agree with that.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever happened to that woman they had on the team that was doing the PR, Fb and twitter sort of stuff? Did she even last a month?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever happened to that woman they had on the team that was doing the PR, Fb and twitter sort of stuff? Did she even last a month?
Yeah they did have a fairly active FB page there for a month or two a while back. Then it just kinda petered out.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmmm not sure what I think of their choice of guest speakers for the Anniversary party. Does Richard Garriot have anything relevant to say about UO now? Surely he hasn't been a part of the game for a long time, I hope it won't turn into another shameless plug for his new game... maybe I'm totally wrong and people will be excited to meet him, but wasn't he also at the 15th Anniversary party? It just seems kind of like giving your child up for adoption and then expecting to go to all it's birthday parties! :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hmmm not sure what I think of their choice of guest speakers for the Anniversary party. Does Richard Garriot have anything relevant to say about UO now? Surely he hasn't been a part of the game for a long time, I hope it won't turn into another shameless plug for his new game... maybe I'm totally wrong and people will be excited to meet him, but wasn't he also at the 15th Anniversary party? It just seems kind of like giving your child up for adoption and then expecting to go to all it's birthday parties! :D
Pretty sure he didn't volunteer to give up his red headed stepchild... though I'm not terribly impressed with him anymore his vision for UO was pretty stellar back then... and I believe Star Long was there last time but I don't think Garriott was. Many folk still think he's the beesknees... but I agree I hope this isn't another shameless plug of his new game.... I believe what you are thinking of was his appearance in-game when Blackthorn returned as King and British came to give him the keys basically... With that awful RP where Minax ROFL'd and such... And then spawned Exodus there in a room with a ton of mages and newbs who couldn't cast since you can't cast spells or bring pets into Blackthorns at all... so many deaths... however I was on my ABC Archer and rocked it... Since it was on TC and I'd transferred my main there... fully outfitted and armed... was difficult without EoO and LS but got the job done... Though I rather failed to see the point since it was TC not like if you got a drop or anything it would be transferable.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sounds a bit sad and pointless! I cringe at bad RP, I'm not the greatest role-player, but I'll have a go and not mention anything real life, never ceases to amaze me how many people want to RP and then have no clue that ROFL and LOL and anything outside of the game world would break people's immersion.... I do agree that Richard Garriot's original ideas for UO were incredible and he was a visionary in that regard, maybe he just wants to gloat at how badly EA have managed his baby! :p

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
10:30am - 12:30pm - Guest speakers will be Starr Long (Lord Blackthorn) and Richard Garriott (Lord British).
Okay, @Mesanna I've thought about this for nearly a week, and decided that it really shouldn't go without comment...

While I think Having Garriott and Long present for the 20th is only fitting, I really have to stress that this better not become a repeat of the last time they participated: that cringe worthy, facepalm- inducing...complete debacle...on TC1. If this becomes a two hour soft commercial for Garriott's continuing shameless cashgrab of a game, you should expect discontented rabble.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

For that matter, I got one of the broken Crossbow LBODs after they'd supposedly been fixed, and can't complete it (and since I've sunk a crapton of frostwood into it, I would like it fixed, or the reward)