• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New to stealing

Another Lamer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After playing UO for around 10 years, ive decided to create characters that I have never played before........one of these is a thief. The template I am using is: -

120 Stealing
120 Stealth
120 Resist
110 Ninja
100 Hiding
100 Snooping
100 Spellweaving

Im am running around in all blessed items as imo I see no point of insurance as I anticipate I will die to people quite often.

The main problem I seem to have is stealing stacked item such as potions, if there are more than say 11, I very often fail and don't steal anything. Is this normal?

Also any tips on how to go about stealing would be welcome ;)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, first thing to note, you can get by with just 100 stealth fine. I would suggest trying to get the Shadow Dancer Leggings, they add +20 stealing and Stealth.
Burglars Bandanna will add +10 stealing which can be blessed with a clothing bless deed.

I suggest keeping stealth at 80 and just use the leggings to get to 100
Stealing at 100 and use the leggings to get to 120.

Resist is fine, I have GM resist on my thief, it helps to resist poison and paralyze (without the use of omen of course). I wouldn't suggest taking it to 120. But since you wouldn't be PvPing, you could probably live without it overall.

For Ninja, I would just suggest getting it to a level where you can cast shadow jump and leave it there, unless you want the better selection in animal form. I have mine at around 80 or so since all I needed was llama form and shadow jump.

Now for the last skill, why spellweaving? I did the quest on my thief so I could use the spell, and left it at 0. I can cast the healing spell and the armor spell. Could probably add in wrestling which serves well for disarm, para strike. A good simple defense skill in tough situations, plus it can help if someone has a good weapon that can be stolen armed ;)

One note: since my template doesn't max out some of the skills, I was left over with around 30-40 or so skill points. I decided to add those points into chivalry, and I did this for a number of reasons. It let me cast heal, cure, that one spell that restores stam, and divine journey (recall). Cause as a thief, it's usually best to not die sometimes and being able to cure and heal helps a lot. Also, recalling around is a necessity sometimes. So you might want to take that into consideration.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, just noticed you were not asking for template advice, lol. My mistake, but I will leave that there anyways. :p

Stealing stacked pots can be tricky sometimes. Even though there are 11, you will most likely not take them all and even fail. 120 stealing lets you steal 12 stones, so failing 11 stones cannot be unexpected.

I would also suggest sometime sneaking into a champ spawn. If you wait until the champ spawns, find a couple people and sneak into their bags and wait while keeping the bags open. That way you can see what scrolls pop up and target your prize ticket :)

A note on the despise spawn: The west bridge can be teleported, or shadow jumped, across, such as over energy fields, poison fields, etc. Unlike the east bridge.

Another Lamer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the advise....I will def do some champ spawns i think.

In terms of my template I use blessed shadow dancers to take my stealing and stealth to 120. I also use a blessed ninja mark of travesty. All other armer is the nubie haven quest blessed stuff. I use brace of health (blessed with personal deed) and I purhaps may get ring of elements to boost my resists.

In terms of my template I tought spell weaving for the Gift of Renewal, Attunement and Gift of Life.

I have mainly use the char for stealing in pvp areas, I find the features of Spellweaving, along with the ninja moves with the hp regen (have around 15) seems to keep me alive.

T

Turdnugget

If you're human, and do the SW quest, you can cast attunement and GoR with a 50% chance with 0 skill thanks to the JoAT for humans.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I meant to ask.......does dexterity have iny impact of the chance to steal?
None at all, but if you have very low dex, beware that you could drop low very quick if you happen to push through someone while you are trying to get away...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SDL are considered armor right? so only an item bless deed would work on them right?

Another Lamer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to claify: -

Mark of Travesty (Ninja) - Clothing Bless Deed
Voice of Fallen King - Item Blessed
Tunic of Fire - Item Blessed
Shadow Dancers - Item Blessed
Arms of Armstrong - Blessed (Haven Quest)
Healers Touch - Blessed (Haven Quest)
Brace of Health - Personal Bless Deed

If I can find them, at some point in the future i'l probably get another couple of item bless deeds, maybe for ring of elements and maybe somthing else.