• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New to SL Help Thread

J

Jaidan

Hi! I am a TSO refugee and I am desperately looking for a new game. I know a lot of Simmies went to SL, BUT I installed the game and I am soooooooooooo confused! I couldnt even get passed the toon creation part, I got frustrated and gave up as soon as I couldnt fix her crooked head! So, if someone could help me get started I would really appreciate it. My name in game is Jaidan Vendetta. Or please contact me on yahoo Jaidan_TSO
Thank You!! :blushing:

D

debslee

Hey Jaidan

Just seen your friend request come through on email...I am happy to help you out when I come online later. Will look for you! Hang in there, its pretty easy once you get the hang of it...if I can do it :dunce:, trust me ANYONE can!

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still consider myself relatively new after 3 months, tho thanks to my wonderful supportive wildbunch group and alot of experienced players I've encountered, I feel like I've been there much longer.

This thread is for questions and answers. I think Polly has been there the longest of us and she's got tons of helpful info especially when it comes to building. My expertise is shopping. My friends often call me when they need a certain thing.

If you've got a specialty tell us what it is and if your new and have questions ask away. If we dont know the answer we can find out for you.

No question is too small or too big so ask away and welcome to SL and the SL forum!

J

Jaidan

Thank you for the replies. My first question is how can I change my appearance? I have been wandering around Help Island (the only place I know), and I see all these very cool looking toons, I have tried the edit appearance thing but I tried forever and I cant make my toon look even close to any of the ones I saw. And how do I get new clothes?? GAWD I MISS TSO!! Thank you in advance for the help! **HUGZ**:bowdown:

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are alot of skin hair and clothing options in SL. In fact as many as there are people playing. What you want to do is teleport off newbie isle and head to a freebie shop. Open search and and type in freebie on the places tab. You can find free skins hair and clothes all over which is just fine until you get established and are ready to buy some. There are tons of freebie lots. I'll be in game shortly, if you want to add me I'll help you out when I get there. My avi is Niki Quintessa.

P

Polly

I'm about to dash out, so will come back and add more later.

Many stores offer some good "Newbie packages" giving you some free stuff to get you started - depending on the stores, these will include a shape, skin and hair. Nyte n Day do a nice one for 1 Linden.

Tousled offers freebie hair and a good newbie box. ETD has a whole range of hair that is free to players under 30 days.

The Gnubie store is a great place to pick up some good freebies for new players. These are generally donated by designers. You can find a couple of really nice skins there.

You wear everything in SL - including your skin, shape, walk and hair. You can edit your body shape by clicking on yourself and then "edit appearence".

Hopefully I'll manage to get in game a bit later or at least post some more suggestions here.

Btw check out the Retrology Sim - do a search under places for Retrology - the whole sim is celebrating its 1st birthday and all stores are giving away free gifts. Its a nice sim to walk around too.

*sims in SL are areas of land and not the avatars themselves !

Polly

J

Jaidan

Hi! I found a freebie hair house, but for some reason I ended up bald! lol SL is alot more complicated than TSO thats for sure! Its frustrating not knowing how to do anything but also kind of fun, sort of a challenge. Thank you guys for all the tips, please keep them coming! :please:

P

Polly

Its okay to be bald !!

First you go bald and then you "wear" the hairstyle. If you're wondering what the pose stands you see around hair shops are - these are for you to stand on and then adjust the hair so that it fits properly. By right clicking on the hair you can move it up, down sideways etc with the coloured arrow keys.

NCI is a good newbie hangout - tons of freebies there, but not all are good quality.

Polly

K

Katheryne

SL has had some major database issues over the last few days that have finally been (mostly) resolved. These issues involved teleportation, inventory access, and avatar attachments (ie - clothing and hair).

/me waves to Jaiden... Hiya! I met you in game the other night!

W

Wyld Cherry

I've been on SL for couple of yrs now.

If anyone has a question, don't hesitate to ask me in world Envy Parx (original ALT was Cherry Wind, but don't play her much) I play Envy Parx and my hubby Strom Parx.

I love SL, I really do feel understood and listened to ya know.

F

Flippers

Why Nikki I had no idea!

I've been in SL since early April. I know more than the average person ingame 4 months, but that still isn't saying much. I spent the first 2 months flying around and exploring. I rented a plot on a friend's island for a decent price to experiment and evolve my building.

Now the rental has a modest pool shop on the lawn and a tiki treehouse for watching video and to place future vends. I own 2048 on Mainland which has my cartoon art gallery, 7 seas fishing in orange soda, and a cottage a la kinkade. I don't think I have enough prim allowance for furniture LOL. Anyway, after having been crowded out of my 512 tier land by opportunists, I wanted some padding.

There's a Stargate in the yard, so I get frequent wanderers.

About your question re Appearance

My alt experiments with clothing and appearance. You can save what you look like as an outfit, then literally click and drag the clothing folder of that name over yourself inworld to look like that again if you want to change back.

Go to the Library in your Inventory and check out the Clothing folder. You'll find a gaggle of appearances. Try them and watch yourself morph. They used to even have furries, but they removed them for some reason. That's okay: try the gamer girl, try the cardboard box, try the boy next door...

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Flippers! I had no idea you were in SL either. Feel free to add me if you like. :)